French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

It's funny. The first set of players (and Ancelotti) reads like an Italian football collection. With the exception of Lucas, all of them have spent a significant time in Italy while none of the second set has. But of course, the first set is more high profile, too. Maybe you Need to go shopping at Milan, Inter, Napoli and Roma again ;)

As you know, Leonardo was the mastermind of the PSG version Qatar. He was recruited because of his impressive CV: former PSG player, WC winner, former coach of Inter & Milan AC...

2012 was the perfect time to buy players from the Serie A. Berlusconi did need cash. The Juve was still on the recovery road.

He joined the club in June 2011: the initial plan was to build the team around a guy who was expected to be the super star of the future... Pastore for 42m :D Then, he recruited Jérémy Ménez for 8m, Lugano for 3m, Sirigu.

Starting 11 - September 2011

crDda3q.jpg

His top priority was to recruit Ancelotti who joined the club in December 2011 like Motta & Maxwell. He also worked hard to attract Tevez (City) but the latter was very demanding so Leonardo changed his mind.

Starting 11 - March 2011

vHsFn0V.jpg

Summer 2012: Verratti, Zlatan, Lavezzi, Thiago Silva, van der Wiel joined the club
Summer 2013: Cavani, Marquinhos & Digne came.

Leonardo decided to leave the club in September or October 2013

I don't think I've ever seen Meunier score an ordinary goal.

2 goals with PSG, 2 nice goals indeed :)

will thomas lemar move anytime soon? he looked a talent the times i saw him play

Fun game between Lille and Saint Etienne.

How has Rony Lopes been doing Ligue 1 fans?

1-1...

Éder to score the winner anytime now. His thread hasn't been bumped in a while

Fun game between Lille and Saint Etienne.

How has Rony Lopes been doing Ligue 1 fans?

Hard to judge him. The club is in crisis but the future could be brighter with the new shareholder.

will thomas lemar move anytime soon? he looked a talent the times i saw him play

Monaco is never against a transfer if the transfer fee is high

Lyon manager Bruno Génésio: “Memphis Depay is a priority.”

Speaking at a press conference this morning, Lyon manager Bruno Génésio confirmed that the club was actively attempting to sign Manchester United winger Memphis Depay, labelling him “a priority”.

“Memphis is a priority. He is complete, powerful and has great potential. Contrary to what I have read, I am a fan of Memphis.”

Sky Sports reported that the offer that Lyon have recently had rejected by Manchester United for Memphis Depay’s services was at the €15m mark, only €2m shy of the Red Devils’ reported €17m price-tag.

Talks continue.

Kwon Chang-hoon agrees to join Dijon FCO
22 year old Korean midfielder Kwon Chang-hoon has reached a provisional agreement to join Ligue 1 new-boys Dijon FCO, according to Foot Mercato.

A 3.5 year deal has been reached between club and player, all that is left to happen is for Dijon to finalise a fee with Chang-hoon’s current team, Suwon Samsung.

Morgan Sanson reaches contract agreement with Marseille

Montpellier midfielder Morgan Sanson has reached a provisional 4.5 year contract agreement with Marseille ahead of a possible move, according to RMC.

Marseille’s latest offer, according to the report, was worth €9m plus €1m in bonuses.

Montpellier are standing firm with their €12m asking price. The two sides have agreed to cease negotiations for the rest of the week, with a meeting scheduled for Monday to pick up where they left off yesterday.

Sanson himself has given his agents the green light for a move to OM, who are hoping to have the player available for their match on the 22nd January against Lyon, a fixture that William Vainqueur will be suspended for.

AS Roma are interested in the player, but are firmly behind Marseille now in the race.

Sanson to Marseille, perhaps the first deal that the McCourt project gets over the line.

Fiorentina make €5m offer for Ellyes Skhiri
Serie A side Fiorentina have submitted a €5m bid for Montpellier midfielder Ellyes Skhiri, according to Sky Italia.

Montpellier have no intention of selling their tall and versatile midfield prospect, who has had somewhat of a breakout campaign so far in 2016/17.

The 21 year old has represented Tunisia at U23 level once.

Quentin Ngakoutou in talks with Bolton
AS Monaco’s young striker Quentin Ngakoutou is the subject of negotiations from English outfit Bolton, according to our colleagues at Foot Mercato.

The 22 year old is currently part of the Principality side’s reserve setup. Talks are broad brush in nature at the moment, with the possibility of either a loan or a permanent move being discussed.

Dimitri Payet has agreed personal terms with Marseille
West Ham United’s attacking midfielder Dimitri Payet has reached a provisional contract agreement with Marseille ahead of a possible January move, according to our colleagues at L’Équipe.

The French newspaper claims that Payet was surprised by manager Slaven Bilic’s words in the press conference yesterday, when the Croatian decided to ban the Frenchman from first team training until his attitude changed and also claimed that Payet was effectively striking after asking to leave the club and being told he could not.

Payet did not train yesterday, having trained with the first team for the last few days, citing lower back pain as the reason for not doing so. The newspaper says that this has been a recurring problem for Payet, who could be out for several days because of it. In any case, Payet will not defy Bilic and will accept to train with the youth team once he is fit enough again. The notion of striking, however, appears to be incorrect.

The timing of West Ham’s decision to exclude Payet from the first team coincides with an offer from Olympique de Marseille for the player’s services. An offer of €22m and €3m in bonuses was lodged and subsequently rejected for the Frenchman. Marseille President Eyraud has spoken to Dimitri Payet on the phone on several occasions over the last two months, as has manager Rudi Garcia.

West Ham’s stubbornness is the biggest stumbling block in this potential deal, quite obviously, even if the Hammers would prefer to sell the player abroad than to another side in the Premier League.

Dimitri Payet has agreed personal terms with Marseille. He has been offered a great salary from a Ligue 1 perspective, one that comes close to matching his current wage with West Ham. From a football point of view, the idea of leaving Premier League strugglers West Ham for the ambitious new project at Marseille has not affected the Frenchman in a negative way either.

Payet feels that he has been lied to about the project at West Ham, with their summer transfer window failings not living up to the vision that the board sold him when he signed a contract extension.

However, Marseille do not have unlimited resources. If they are to make this deal happen this month, they need to quickly come in with an improved, more serious offer. If Payet does not leave this month, the idea of his departure in the summer is inevitable.

But for now, can Marseille move the needle?

Wolfsburg are interested in Bordeaux forward Gaëtan Laborde
Bundesliga side Wolfsburg have an interest in possibly signing French forward and Bordeaux man Gaëtan Laborde, according to our colleagues at Foot Mercato.

The Frenchman, who notably had a successful loan spell at Red Star recently, impressed in the Coupe de la Ligue this week against EA Guingamp.

Bordeaux are said to be lining up a new contract for Laborde, but must move fast if they wish to deter further interest in this burgeoning talent’s services.

Adnan Januzaj’s agent confirms Lyon talks
Speaking to our colleagues at L’Équipe, Dirk de Vriese, the agent of Manchester United’s attacking midfielder Adnan Januzaj, confirmed that he had held talks with Lyon about a possible move.

“Lyon have spoken to us and we have listened. The decision must be taken by Manchester United and the club has not yet said that it wants to sell Adnan. Adnan feels good at Sunderland.”

Southampton approach Valère Germain

Premier League side Southampton have recently re-approached French striker and AS Monaco man Valère Germain about a possible move, according to L’Équipe.

The former OGC Nice loanee under Claude Puel was contacted by the French manager again recently, with his current contract with the Principality side expiring at the end of the 2018 season.

Monaco have yet to offer Germain an extension.

U18 French international Dan Axel Zagadou to sign for Manchester City :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Premier League side Manchester City have convinced 17 year old and left-sided defender Dan Axel Zagadou to snub a professional contract with PSG and sign with the Citizens instead, according to our colleagues at France Football.

Zagadou, who is the captain of the France U18s set-up, has a youth contract with Les Parisiens which expires at the end of the current campaign.

Tuned in for the PSG vs Rennes game. Draxler had a shot on goal. Verratti is filthy, and Rennes a one man team with Grosicki the only player posing a threat.

wow PSG robbed, clear Penalty on Verratti, keeper recklessly coming out and clearly fouling him, even though Verratti started falling before the touch. Yellow for diving harsh

Bernardo Silva will be one of the best players in the world. He'll leave for a lot of money this summer

60 goals scored by Mónaco already at this stage. Not bad for a so called defensive manager. I miss Jardim :(

Monaco are flying, they are even more exciting to watch than Dortmund right now. I know we are linked with their CM's but the Bernardo Silva and Lemar duo on the flanks are where it's at with this Monaco team.

Monaco are flying, they are even more exciting to watch than Dortmund right now. I know we are linked with their CM's but the Bernardo Silva and Lemar duo on the flanks are where it's at with this Monaco team.

What did you think of Almamy Toure and Sidibe? Didn't have a chance to watch the game.

What did you think of Almamy Toure and Sidibe? Didn't have a chance to watch the game.

Both supported their wide man well and showed some good skill, Sidibie looked less comfortable on the left than he does on the right though, and both overdid it in posession at times when they got in good positions.

Both supported their wide man well and showed some good skill, Sidibie looked less comfortable on the left than he does on the right though, and both overdid it in posession at times when they got in good positions.

Thanks for the reply!

Not good enough from Nice. Overall average performance. They are badly missing some of their players. Cyprien probably their best player.

Important match for PSG, but Nantes with the new manager Sérgio Conceição can be a dangerous one.

Cavani scored 2 goals yesterday so 26 goals with PSG this season.

Monaco to knock City out of Europe?

French League: 64 goals in 21 games ie. 3 goals per game.... against 41 goals for PSG. Impressive.

Monaco knocked Arsenal & Tottenham out of Europe in the last seasons so why not City?

Monaco is gonna ruin that City defense. Bravo, Stones and Otamendi will surely concede.

Outstanding job by Jardim, former coach of my club, very underrated in Portugal, the press never recognizes the job he is doing in France.

For me Jardim and Favre in France, Sarri in Italy, Conte in England and Sampaoli in Spain are the coaches of the season so far in Europe.

Ah, and if I was an City and Leicester fan i would be very worried at the moment, it looks more plausible that Arsenal can beat Bayern this season than Leicester beating Sevilla and City/Monaco is 50/50, Jardim will probably setup his team for counterattack and let them have ball possesion, if City does not improve their defensive organization they are in trouble.

But lets see because Monaco sometimes is not regular at Champions League level, and this season against Nice and Leverkusen they were well beaten. But Leicester for me only a miracle will save them.

Last edited:
Outstanding job by Jardim, former coach of my club, very underrated in Portugal, the press never recognizes the job he is doing in France.

For me Jardim and Favre in France, Sarri in Italy, Conte in England and Sampaoli in Spain are the coaches of the season so far in Europe.

Ah, and if I was an City and Leicester fan i would be verry worried at the moment, it looks more plausible that Arsenal can beat Bayern this season than Leicester beating Sevilla and City/Monaco is 50/50, Jardim will probably setup his team for counterattack and let them have ball possesion, if City does not improve their defensive organization they are in trouble.

But lets see because Monaco sometimes is not regular at Champions League level, and this season against Nice and Leverkusen they were well beaten. But Leicester for me only a miracle will save them.

Monaco played third stringers against Leverkusen and the game against Nice was really weird because Monaco was really dominating during the first 30mn and should have scored a couple of times but totally lost it after Nice's second goal.

Toulouse and Lyon are better examples of games where Monaco were well beaten.

The fact is that Monaco haven't any big player, apart from Falcao (who has fallen from grace in the last years though). Just an outstanding job by Jardim.

The fact is that Monaco haven't any big player, apart from Falcao (who has fallen from grace in the last years though). Just an outstanding job by Jardim.

They have big players, it doesn't matter if they are not hyped or not recognized by non followers. Monaco's players are really good.

Good chance that'll change against City. If I were the Monaco owner I would be licking my lips, Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, and Lemar alone will get him 200m in the next couple of years.

He doesn't care about money and Monaco can't spend it because of FFP.

Monaco played third stringers against Leverkusen and the game against Nice was really weird because Monaco was really dominating during the first 30mn and should have scored a couple of times but totally lost it after Nice's second goal.

Toulouse and Lyon are better examples of games where Monaco were well beaten.
Maybe you know with more precision, but i didn't liked the game against Leverkusen at home and at Nice they made a bad match, the other matches I cannot speak.

Not totally true, they do not have worldwide media known players, but believe me half of their team if not more, can play with no problem at the top 6 in England.

No way current Falcão is better than Bernardo, Lemar, Fabinho, Bakayoko, and Mbapé i had the chance to see him playing against Portugal under 19 at the semifinals, believe me he has more potential than Martial at his age. Just my opinion of course.