French Elections 2017

57njs3vun9wy.png

:lol:

And I'm not proposing going the US way. But in a globalized world, with an economy burdened by dept and lack of growth, still fighting for the 35 hour week for everyone while still wanting to keep retirement at 60 is a bit nonsensical.
No, with a very high productivity per hour and a huge unemployment problem (especially concerning immigration and integration), it makes absolutely no sense to increase working hours for those who have a job.

So Manuel Valls is arrogant enough to think he can contest the June elections for Macron's party without following party rules.

No, with a very high productivity per hour and a huge unemployment problem (especially concerning immigration and integration), it makes absolutely no sense to increase working hours for those who have a job.

Especially regarding unemployment it makes sense, because obivously the French economys growth has stalled, export is suffering and investment is missing. Something needs to happen. It doesn't need to be the working hours to be honest, I guess the most important factor in France is deregulation in a sense that it's not easier to lay off existing work force, but to make it less risky in social security payments and contract length of workers to create new jobs.

Especially regarding unemployment it makes sense, because obivously the French economys growth has stalled, export is suffering and investment is missing. Something needs to happen. It doesn't need to be the working hours to be honest, I guess the most important factor in France is deregulation in a sense that it's not easier to lay off existing work force, but to make it less risky in social security payments and contract length of workers to create new jobs.
France employment certainly needs change, but if people's incomes and lifestyles are threatened for years, they are going to defend what they have. There's no investment? We're handing out 80 billion euros to the financial sector every month and there's no money for investment? It seems to me that there's a problem for the former Rothschild employee to solve.

You can't solve neoliberal problems with neoliberal 'solutions' like squeezing more hours out of employees. Not in France, this president has very little support in general en especially among blue collar workers, farmers and students, and that's a powerful combination there. Change is possible, but not if it means that the employees get less and the employers more.

France employment certainly needs change, but if people's incomes and lifestyles are threatened for years, they are going to defend what they have. There's no investment? We're handing out 80 billion euros to the financial sector every month and there's no money for investment? It seems to me that there's a problem for the former Rothschild employee to solve.

You can't solve neoliberal problems with neoliberal 'solutions' like squeezing more hours out of employees. Not in France, this president has very little support in general en especially among blue collar workers, farmers and students, and that's a powerful combination there. Change is possible, but not if it means that the employees get less and the employers more.

Is that hypothetical based on Macron's program?

What programmes' are those ?

I heard plenty about his 'intentions' for the EU, but don't remember hearing much about his 'intentions' for France.

I literally gave you the source and you quoted the post. You are a grown man, read.

British ( attempted ) humour....Sometimes misunderstood.....

Sorry but it's tiring. People and media either invent a program that only exist in their minds or pretend that there is no program despite the fact that the thing is available for everyone to see.

1st round: I've voted for a candidate all the French medias hate, completely blacklisted, a quality man who would have deserved a better ranking :(
2nd round: I haven't voted.

Macron has to be considered as the public enemy #1

I've sent my application off but it could take up to a year to get it - I'll announce it with great joy if and when I do.
I haven't seen much on TV as my wife wanted to watch a film :nono: :lol: so I'll catch up with it a bit later and let you know tomorrow

An application to join En Marche? :nervous:

Based on the past. Plans to reform the job market have been around for more than a decade, but meet too much resistance.

The difference between the present and the past is the Presidents no longer take into account the resistances.

1st round: I've voted for a candidate all the French medias hate, completely blacklisted, a quality man who would have deserved a better ranking :(
2nd round: I haven't voted.

Macron has to be considered as the public enemy #1

It did! I was almost expecting an image of Mitterand to be blended into the scene. :lol:

Are you a fortune teller? And what has walking in the dark like Mitterand has to do with making France more competitive or knowing he won easily?

Well, you mix everything. My post was referring to:

He (EM) didn't look happy during the walk. More as if he realizes what a shit job in terms of expectations awaits him.

Do you think he was deeply unhappy?

@Kentonio
Why do you think that it's somebody else's job to give you a job (or even a well-paid job)?

How does this work? A company hires someone if it thinks that someone will help its profit margins (in the short or long run). They aren't doing the employee a favour.

How does this work? A company hires someone if it thinks that someone will help its profit margins (in the short or long run). They aren't doing the employee a favour.
It doesn't work if everybody waits to gets a job served by somebody else and nobody takes the risk to run a business.

It doesn't work if everybody waits to gets a job served by somebody else and nobody takes the risk to run a business.

But only those with sufficient capital can run a business. Either you have to have a lot of wealth, or you have to have an idea, and access to organisations/institutions/individuals with wealth who accept and are willing to market that idea.

I'm very skeptical that everyone can meet either of those criteria. However, people or institutions with that wealth may have an incentive to invest in a new business (which then requires labour) since this business can give them a return on their investment. (Though with automation this model is threatened.)

Personally, I trained as a chemist and now as a biologist. While some people from both fields have set up successful businesses (and many more haven failed at it), I have zero ideas to start a new business. I know very well that if there is a meltdown in terms of govt budgets, I will probably be unemployed or underemployed. I don't expect any charity, and I'm aware that I'm fully dispensable. That is simply the way it is, and I am very lucky because of my parents' wealth and the fact that that there is state funding for basic science research. But they (the US govt) are not doing me a favour.

Last edited:

By hinting at a fundamental role for immigration, and then comparing it with the US, the article doesn't convince. Unless of course it is the colour of the immigrants that makes them identical to the same (or even vaguely similar) colour of people in the US, not their immigrant status itself.
Of course there's a big debate on the tension between multiculturalism and the welfare state, which this article doesn't address.

By hinting at a fundamental role for immigration, and then comparing it with the US, the article doesn't convince. Unless of course it is the colour of the immigrants that makes them identical to the same (or even vaguely similar) colour of people in the US, not their immigrant status itself.
Of course there's a big debate on the tension between multiculturalism and the welfare state, which this article doesn't address.

I thought that the dominant American parallel was economic in nature, and that of political detachment. These held up pretty well. From an immigration standpoint, the UK bears a closer similarity.

There is definitely a problem between where the jobs are, where housings are and where french people live. Paris vampirize the rest of the country and there is nothing done by politicians, there was a plan made in 1974 against it but it has never been fully executed.

Fortunately in the last decade some towns like Montpellier or Bordeaux started stealing companies from Paris but for the moments it is mainly startups who aren't big employers.

Macron is now officially President. Any rumors who he might appoint as PM?