Frank Lampard | Burnley?

Sir Erik ten Hag

All these talks about a caretaker manager make me mad at how we handled the Ole appointment. If we didn't offer him that fulltime contract and let him just do his job as the caretaker manager, he would have become our best caretaker manager in history (And most beloved too). We'd have him ready to step in whenever we sack any managers later too because he loved the club.

But then we had to screw up and gave him that full-time contract. After his 3rd season (Massive failure), I think rarely anyone welcomes the idea of him ever coming back even as a caretaker anymore.

CM

Sacking Potter was necessary and Lampard (tory cnut) is no less sensible a choice than the average caretaker manager. People are being odd about this, for the bants, I guess.
It was just an unnecessary appointment. If they wanted to sack Potter, they could just as easily have let Bruno or whichever backroom team member take the reins for the rest of the season.

You pretty much want a caretaker to go under the radar and attract as little attention as possible in a situation like they are in. Instead they've brought a man back who not only failed with them, but also failed with Everton. Great for the neutral, but not for Chelsea.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
In principle you are right, but the problem is that Lampard quite recently failed at Chelsea and quite a lot of his players are still there. And another problem is that Chelsea isn't at a point where "just vibes" would be helpful. There is no established system, no clear squad hierarchy.

Such a "just vibes" approach works if these basics are there and you just need to lift the mood (which can be quite difficult and is really a skill if you can do it quickly). So Mourinho -> Solskjaer worked, but Potter -> Lampard won't have the same effect, I am absolutely sure about that.
But I mean, it's what, 12 games? They'll finish mid table and lose to Madrid. I don't think any manager can do better than that with the current reality.

They will then make their appointment with the future in mind and no one will remember now. A little similar to us last season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well, that's a rethorical question that falls flat on its face. Normally in these cases, a club uses one of the first team coaches. You know this. It's not like Chelsea uniquely lacked that option. And yeah, that would be the sensible option, at least compared to hiring Frank Lampard, which just manages to reinforce the aura of incompetence created by the Potter mess.
As far as I know all the first team coaches were Potter’s guys and they left with him. The role was offered to Bruno Saltor, but as has been established over and over in this thread, he didn’t want the job. So we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree on this.

Chief123

I really hope they win all of their remaining games in the premier league and they give the job to Lampard on a permanent basis!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ideally a caretaker would be someone who has a genuine chance to manage long term. Its like a loan player, you get a good look at him before making a permanent offer. Lampard we already know isn't the answer.

Not always. We hired Hiddink twice knowing it was temporary while we looked for a new manager.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not sacking Potter and giving him till the end of the season is more sensible. Despite not being up to the job, he’s still a better option than Lampard.
Yes wouldn’t have sacked Potter either but we’re talking about what they should have done once the decision to sack him was taken.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You rival fans care way more about arguing with Man Utd supporters on a United forum than using your own Chelsea one.
Shit post. Opposition fans are a great asset to this forum. Peddle your daft narrative elsewhere.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Not always. We hired Hiddink twice knowing it was temporary while we looked for a new manager.
So you made the same mistake twice earlier. That doesn't make it right. It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea's hire and fire approach continues to work. You have run out of top level managers to hire.

RuudTom83

Played 1 - Lost 1

But these are the next 6 games...Real Madrid, Brighton, Real Madrid, United, Brentford, Arsenal

Might be a while before Frank gets his first W

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So you made the same mistake twice earlier. That doesn't make it right. It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea's hire and fire approach continues to work. You have run out of top level managers to hire.

Why is it a mistake though? We won the FA Cup and were seconds away from the CL final with Hiddink. There’s no rule that says it has to be an internal coach or one with the potential to be the permanent manager. Be honest mate, that’s just something you’ve made up because you think Lampard is a stupid choice ;)

Stinkypete

Not officially but we all know it happens.

I bet you interviewed Tuchel before Lampard was officially sacked and the same with Potter before Tuchel was sacked.

The news came out we were going to hire Mourinho as Van Gaal was on the pitch at Wembley celebrating with the FA Cup!
We were sounding out Mourinho as early as 22nd December and had met with representatives in February, it was easily footballs worst kept secret by May.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Why is it a mistake though? We won the FA Cup and were seconds away from the CL final with Hiddink. There’s no rule that says it has to be an internal coach or one with the potential to be the permanent manager. Be honest mate, that’s just something you’ve made up because you think Lampard is a stupid choice ;)
The entire sequence of events was stupid. Tuchel should have been given till the end of the season, okay you decide to gamble on Potter. He should now be allowed to make mistakes and figure things out but you sack him to hire a manager proven to be poor.

Sir Erik ten Hag

We were sounding out Mourinho as early as 22nd December and had met with representatives in February, it was easily footballs worst kept secret by May.
The way us and Woodward handled it was classless. Van Gaal himself came to Woodward for an honest talk and was ready to resign if the club really intended to replace him with Mourinho. Yet Woodward fed him lies that the club was totally supporting him, only to turn cloak at the end right when he was still celebrating that FA Cup win. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Van Gaal's method had lots of shortcoming. But when he was here, he always handled his job with grace and honesty amongst the pressure. Yet Woodward couldn't do that.

el3mel

The way us and Woodward handled it was classless. Van Gaal himself came to Woodward for an honest talk and was ready to resign if the club really intended to replace him with Mourinho. Yet Woodward fed him lies that the club was totally supporting him, only to turn cloak at the end right when he was still celebrating that FA Cup win. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Van Gaal's method had lots of shortcoming. But when he was here, he always handled his job with grace and honesty amongst the pressure. Yet Woodward couldn't do that.
Not sure these were lies. I think Woodward would have let Van Gaal manage his last year in contract if he got top 4. He genuinely seemed to like the guy despite his awful football and weird personality. It was curtains for Van Gaal after the West Ham loss but prior to that I don't really think the club has taken a decision to replace him or not and were just waiting to see what would happen.

Pintu

You can call it elitist but I’d definitely rather have no Europe than qualify for the conference league.
Winning it brings in about 20 millions in prize money ( + probably similar figures in match-day revenue)… It also means more competitive games to use your plethoric squad and keep everyone happy… I don’t believe your board would rather have no Europe at all.

Mr. Robot

If you want an echo chamber, there are other forums that offer that.
What other Man Utd forums are there? (Genuine question I’ve only heard of RedCafe).

And I respect that people have their opinions. I was just pointing out the irony in WeePat’s post.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The entire sequence of events was stupid. Tuchel should have been given till the end of the season, okay you decide to gamble on Potter. He should now be allowed to make mistakes and figure things out but you sack him to hire a manager proven to be poor.
Yeah I agree with you on both counts. They should have kept Tuchel, and they should have stuck with Potter, but we’re talking about what Chelsea should have done after Potter was sacked.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Winning it brings in about 20 millions in prize money ( + probably similar figures in match-day revenue)… It also means more competitive games to use your plethoric squad and keep everyone happy… I don’t believe your board would rather have no Europe at all.
Yeah I can imagine that’s what the club would want. I have no interest in it though.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
manager 2021 -> caretaker manager 2023 -> bar manager 2025

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Shit post. Opposition fans are a great asset to this forum. Peddle your daft narrative elsewhere.
Don’t mind him. He stalks me around different threads chatting shit. Not really worth your time in all honesty.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But I mean, it's what, 12 games? They'll finish mid table and lose to Madrid. I don't think any manager can do better than that with the current reality.

They will then make their appointment with the future in mind and no one will remember now. A little similar to us last season.
I think we agree on the inevitable outcome, just that I wonder, why bother? If signing Lampard won't really change anything, why not just let Potter's assistant finish the season and immediately focus on planning for next season?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I think we agree on the inevitable outcome, just that I wonder, why bother? If signing Lampard won't really change anything, why not just let Potter's assistant finish the season and immediately focus on planning for next season?
Anyone with an ounce of intelligence would say the whole thing was a shitshow. I’m not opposed to action that rectifies an issue but this is just pure insanity and nobody should defend it.

Is Lampard a better manager than Potter?
No

Is Lampard good enough to change the result?
No

Is there any net positive from these two decisions?
No

Was there anyone else available with better pedigree to take over at such short notice?
Debatable

Should we have therefore fired Potter now and not at the end of the season after an official and in depth review of the clubs problems with clear corrective measures to be implemented?
No

Therefore any fan arguing for Potters dismissal and hiring of Lampard on a short term basis is simply a brain dead idiot.

Ghirahim

Should not have sacked Tuchel. But to go from Tuchel to Potter and then back to Frank... :lol: Real Madrid will win 3:0 on Wednesday.

hp88

Seriously why is he doing this to himself? He was shite the first time and he's come back for seconds.

Castia

Worst manager in the Prem by a mile.

Will be his last PL job unless he manages to get a team promoted

hp88

Worst manager in the Prem by a mile.

Will be his last PL job unless he manages to get a team promoted
Lampard, Gerrard and Ole, they're all bad as each other and shouldn't be anywhere near a premier league side. Either sit back enjoy your millions or become a pundit like Carragher.