Frank Lampard | Burnley?

dove

How hopeless do you have to be to not even get a new manager bounce?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Re-appointing someone you've sacked for failing, as some sort of safe pair of hands is just plain daft.

Oscar Bonavena

The season they're having this year makes our last season under Ole and Ralf looks like an absolute masterpiece.
At least we had some blistering runs of form with Ole as caretaker manager, it only went to shit when he got made permanent.

This cnut offers nothing!

C'est Moi Cantona

I hope this is going to be a them going forward, and not just a one season blip.

Other than City, I'm not sure I can think of a club who deserves it more.

Yorke to Cole

I'm amazed someone is capable of having this kind of opinion after Lampard already had one stint at Chelsea and failed + got sacked at Everton 3 months ago. Though I'd have nothing against Chelsea's board listening to the man.
How are you amazed? Richard Keys is a mug.Still bitter at being sacked by Sky.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Fun fact, against Brighton, Chelsea conceded 10 shots on target for the second game in a row. The last time a team managed to have 10 shots on target against Chelsea was back on August 14th 2019 (Liverpool in the USC). It was Lampard's second competitive game as Chelsea manager, after losing 4-0 at OT. Consistency.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
might be but I’d like to see him try to go to a club that isn’t in a terrible situation to see what he’s got. Everton and Chelsea II were bad career moves.
I know that this seems to be a hill you've decided to die on for some reason since his Everton days, but he's just very clearly a limited manager.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
It would be funny if they have to fire the Caretaker manager aswell.
And if not, they have fired Tuchel and Potter but have allowed Lampard to continue with these performances even that is funny.

Someone

Something
It would be funny if they have to fire the Caretaker manager aswell.
And if not, they have fired Tuchel and Potter but have allowed Lampard to continue with these performances even that is funny.
They won't fire him. It'd make them look more daft, and there's pretty much nothing to play for. They're 11 points from top 6, and practically out of the CL, a new manager won't change anything.

I think if you're looking for a caretaker role, it makes more sense to go for someone old and experienced, since no manager on their peak would accept the role anyway, older managers who can steer the ship make way more sense that hiring someone based on their connection to the club.

ti vu

They won't fire him. It'd make them look more daft, and there's pretty much nothing to play for. They're 11 points from top 6, and practically out of the CL, a new manager won't change anything.

I think if you're looking for a caretaker role, it makes more sense to go for someone old and experienced, since no manager on their peak would accept the role anyway, older managers who can steer the ship make way more sense that hiring someone based on their connection to the club.
That should have applied to keeping Potter until the end of the season, but somehow they did the unexplainable. Just a few games, and it looks like Lampard is very capable of doing even a worse job than Potter, with tougher opponents who still have thing to play for, waiting for Chelsea.

If they continue to get battered and the scoreline reflect that, the higher up would be put in the spotlight just like us last season. That something I believe they mistakenly thought bringing a club legend like Lampard would have helped avoiding. So the worse Lampard does, the more pressure on Chelsea progress to appoint their new manager.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
That should have applied to keeping Potter until the end of the season, but somehow they did the unexplainable. Just a few games, and it looks like Lampard is very capable of doing even a worse job than Potter, with tougher opponents who still have thing to play for, waiting for Chelsea.

If they continue to get battered and the scoreline reflect that, the higher up would be put in the spotlight just like us last season, that something I believe they mistakenly thought bringing a club legend like Lampard would have helped avoiding.
I was in the minority that had the foresight to see this was going to happen and advocated for Potter to remain until the end of the season. I repeated myself many times that nothing should have been done without an extensive review into this seasons failings and a clear agreement going forward on how to rectify the problems. I was shot down by multiple Chelsea posters and a lot of other posters on here saying Potter simply needed to go. Now all the Chelsea posters have disappeared, isn’t that ironic. Well now they reap what they sow, it’s a fecking grade A shitshow.

Seven Seas Sardines

Chelsea have done West Ham a massive favour by re-employing him just to make sure there is no remaining doubt that the guy is a useless manager. Bullet dodged.
It should be clear as day that any Mourinho disciples are useless in modern football. It's like Rooney and Ole basing their whole managerial style on Fergie, calling themselves man managers when teapots have more charisma.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He really is a terrible manager. I love it that Boehly went for him!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Watched them vs Wolves and thought it was their worst performance. It's just been bettered today :lol: Never seen a team collapse as badly as this one under Lampard. The players look lost. Brighton played rings around them.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I was in the minority that had the foresight to see this was going to happen and advocated for Potter to remain until the end of the season. I repeated myself many times that nothing should have been done without an extensive review into this seasons failings and a clear agreement going forward on how to rectify the problems. I was shot down by multiple Chelsea posters and a lot of other posters on here saying Potter simply needed to go. Now all the Chelsea posters have disappeared, isn’t that ironic. Well now they reap what they sow, it’s a fecking grade A shitshow.
Potter did 'look' out of his depth and handled the pressure in an odd way, but I thought sacking after the Villa result was hasty as Villa are a good team this season and you outplayed them on that day and losing was just a bit unlucky. Getting in ridiculous amount of players, then sacking Potter and putting in Lampard is really terrible running of a football club. You've got yourselves your own Woody, except he's worse than Woody, somehow.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still expect them to play like men possessed when they rock up at old trafford

BerryBerryShrew

It's a bit odd that he's such a bad manager. Given that he had more intelligence on the pitch than most top players and more intelligence off the pitch than pretty much every top player (I think that he is considered Mensa level - for what that's worth), you'd think he'd be able to coach a team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's a bit odd that he's such a bad manager. Given that he had more intelligence on the pitch than most top players and more intelligence off the pitch than pretty much every top player (I think that he is considered Mensa level - for what that's worth), you'd think he'd be able to coach a team.
There’s different types of manager I guess. Lampard seems to be a manager in the old fashioned sense, whereas Chelsea right now need a coach - someone to take all those pieces and put them back together. Lampard would probably be a good option as a ‘steady pair of hands’ until the end of the season if all he had to do was keep the plates spinning. But at Chelsea they’ve already smashed into pieces on the floor, while Frank is stood there with some evo stick not knowing where to start.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Management isn't about intelligence though for the most part. Wisdom, energy and charisma play the biggest part in much of it.

3KDré

This may be true, but many top coaches will tell you:

Lampard was a very hard worker who was constantly working on his craft without really needing external motivation. I think he struggles to translate well into coaching because he may not be able to tap into different personalities who weren't similar to him. That's why he loves Mount for example - he probably saw a bit of himself in Mount.

predator

Youth NITK
I like Lampard. He always seemed the likable one in that ruthless Chelsea team when we were rivals. Brilliant goal scoring midfielder aswell, one of the best to come from England.

What's surprising is, like others have said, he is a very intelligent person but that doesn't equate to being a good manager but it surely should help his judgment over what's best for himself in terms of post playing days career, legacy, reputation etc.

I understand It would have been very hard for him to decline the caretaker Chelsea job, his beloved club, living in West London and maybe actually thinking he can salvage the season somewhat but it would have been disciplined and impressive if he actually declined the offer and continued 'learning his trade' at a smaller club with less publicity and pressure.
This would improve his chances of actually becoming a manager that is qualified to one day be a manager of a club like Chelsea. If this caretaker role carries on as its started then I don't think he will ever manage a top level club again.

One observation I have with Lampard from interviews etc is that he is a massive overthinker and I get the impression that he is indecisive. I just can't imagine these traits being too useful when managing a group of 20 plus men. Pep is an overthinker but he's decisive.
I could be way off the mark though.

Doracle

Potter did 'look' out of his depth and handled the pressure in an odd way, but I thought sacking after the Villa result was hasty as Villa are a good team this season and you outplayed them on that day and losing was just a bit unlucky. Getting in ridiculous amount of players, then sacking Potter and putting in Lampard is really terrible running of a football club. You've got yourselves your own Woody, except he's worse than Woody, somehow.
Potter had just started to look like he was getting it together. 3 wins, including knocking out Dortmund, followed by pummelling Everton and Villa and being very unlucky to only take one point. There’s no way they’d have been as bad as now under him.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Potter had just started to look like he was getting it together. 3 wins, including knocking out Dortmund, followed by pummelling Everton and Villa and being very unlucky to only take one point. There’s no way they’d have been as bad as now under him.
We would undoubtedly have still been shit but what we had was a good manager with a bad team, now we have a bad team and a bad manager. Utterly laughable.