Frank Lampard | Burnley?

justsomebloke

Real Madrid appointed Everton's coach and went on to win the UCL.

Watch Chelsea do the same now. Lampard to become the first English manager to a win a European trophy since Bobby Robson with Barca.
That's not going to happen. No really, it isn't.

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of fecking limit to football fans willingness to get carried away by a juicy narrative.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's not going to happen. No really, it isn't.

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of fecking limit to football fans willingness to get carried away by a juicy narrative.
Why? If youre going to support a team and only be realistic about things life is going to suck immensely hard. Imagine being a Southampton fan and hoping to win a game now and then, and thats all you get.

If Im a Chelsea fan my opening attitude is a CL trophy, flawless winning run and will just adjust accordingly.

justsomebloke

The first of those finishes was achieved ahead of Lampard on mere goal difference (that wrongly disallowed Zouma goal effectively the difference), that despite Lampard spending nothing and losing his gamechanging forward while Ole gaining a gamechanging forward as part of a (roughly) £200m spend.

Also given how well Carrick and McKenna are doing in their respective jobs you have to wonder if it wasn't a case of the assistant(s) doing all the coaching and tactics for him like Gerrard at Rangers and Avram with us.

Regardless it's spitting hairs really, there's enough sample size now to come to the conclusion neither are likely to amount to anything serious as managers.
Ole obviously did better than Lampard as a PL manager - lasted twice as long, and achieved results Lampard never did (second, third, EL final). Transfer ban or not, Chelsea arguably had a stronger squad than United that season - certainly a more balanced one. And it's not like Frank did a lot better once the new players flooded in the next season.

justsomebloke

Why? If youre going to support a team and only be realistic about things life is going to suck immensely hard. Imagine being a Southampton fan and hoping to win a game now and then, and thats all you get.

If Im a Chelsea fan my opening attitude is a CL trophy, flawless winning run and will just adjust accordingly.
Okay, if getting worked up over nothing and then having reality come kick you in the nuts is what floats your boat. :)

Actually, it's not even about getting kicked in the nuts (you will be anyway, it's inherent to any sort of football fandom). I guess it's just the sheer stupidity of believing in something just because it'd be a good story. Everyone needs hope, but that's something different.

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

This sums it up.
Astonishing.

It would make some sense even if they were bringing in someone like Mourinho, purely on the basis of his record thinking he'd give them a chance in the Champions League, but to bring in Lampard???

I've said this many times but what an absolute basket case of a club they are!

MegadrivePerson

Ole obviously did better than Lampard as a PL manager - lasted twice as long, and achieved results Lampard never did (second, third, EL final). Transfer ban or not, Chelsea arguably had a stronger squad than United that season - certainly a more balanced one. And it's not like Frank did a lot better once the new players flooded in the next season.
It's worth pointing out that Lampard never would have got the job in the first place if Chelsea didn't have a transfer ban.

As soon as the expectations were increased back to normal Lampard looked like a fish out of water.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Okay, if getting worked up over nothing and then having reality come kick you in the nuts is what floats your boat. :)

Everyone needs hope, but there's a difference between hope and being willing to believe anything just because it'd be a good story.
I like having ridiculous, unrealistic expectations. Its helpful to know that they are also fantasies.

I dont think it would be fun for me to watch kickoff being a pessimist about the outcome.

TheReligion

Abusive
This sums it up.

It seems Potter lost the dressing room. That’s if you believe the reports from The Athletic. It’s the only way letting him go at this point makes any sense.

Even if that’s correct though the rehire of Lampard is still really odd, especially if the dressing room is difficult at the moment. He just seems the wrong fit by a mile.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This sums it up.

As someone who believed Chelsea should have done exactly what that Brighton fan is suggesting, I don't think there is any disrespect in sacking someone and getting in a caretaker until the end of the season. You have to factor in the fact that the atmosphere around the club was becoming quite toxic, and if they truly had lost faith in Potter then keeping him around for the sake of it when the fans are booing him every game is pointless.

Lampard isn't here to try and turn things around. I don't know why anyone thinks that. It's a PR move. It's for the vibes. It's to babysit the players and the fans until the end of the season while they figure out who the next manager is going to be.

TheGame

As someone who believed Chelsea should have done exactly what that Brighton fan is suggesting, I don't think there is any disrespect in sacking someone and getting in a caretaker until the end of the season. You have to factor in the fact that the atmosphere around the club was becoming quite toxic, and if they truly had lost faith in Potter then keeping him around for the sake of it when the fans are booing him every game is pointless.

Lampard isn't here to try and turn things around. I don't know why anyone thinks that. It's a PR move. It's for the vibes. It's to babysit the players and the fans until the end of the season while they figure out who the next manager is going to be.
But they could potentially win the UCL and it might be their only avenue into the competition next season. Why not either bring in a more reputable manager otherwise sounds like they are downing tools.

justsomebloke

I like having ridiculous, unrealistic expectations. Its helpful to know that they are also fantasies.

I dont think it would be fun for me to watch kickoff being a pessimist about the outcome.
Middle ground? But fair enough.

justsomebloke

You don't see a problem with the club making an interim managerial appointment as a "PR move", and for "the vibes"? Or with the logic of getting good vibes out of having Lampard babysit to a large extent the same players who was there the last time he crashed?

SAFMUTD

I dont think getting 3rd and 2nd in consecutive PL seasons is considered "not a good run".
That's why I said the results weren't as bad as the performances. There's a reason why no PL is interested in him.

9 teams last season and 11 this season changed managers yet he wasn't considered for any. That's just in England, nevermind all the other top leagues. I doubt it's a case about him rejecting offers waiting for the right chance.

People still defend Ole but he's clearly an average/poor manager at best. As seasons go by and he still don't get offers I wonder how will you defend him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Overall fair enough but I'm merely arguing that season. Lampard bombed once the signings came and expectations were raised no arguments there but at the start of the first season people were laughing at our squad and having us around 7th/8th at best, and that was on the assumption Kante was going to be fit all season which he wasn't.

I'm not saying the 4th place finish is the miracle of all miracles but it wasn't on par either.

You don't see a problem with the club making an interim managerial appointment as a "PR move", and for "the vibes"? Or with the logic of getting good vibes out of having Lampard babysit to a large extent the same players who was there the last time he crashed?
Most interim spells especially at this stage of the season is practically that. I don't think any new manager would want to start now (even with the off chance of UCL success) given our fixtures list.

I just hope we announce the next man soon because I can't lie I'm slightly paranoid if we have a bounce then emotion will take over, the crowd and probably some of our ex players will aggressively call for his permanent appointment that's for sure.

SAFMUTD

This sums it up.

Only explanation is that the squad turned against him or it was toxic as feck.

The season is already lost, they're clearly not getting top 5 neither they're going to get relegated, and obviously they won't beat Madrid. So it makes no sense changing managers at this point, specially such an underwhelming appointment such as Lampard.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So it makes no sense changing managers at this point, specially such an underwhelming appointment such as Lampard.
Sacking Potter and getting a temp in allows the club do a proper search for a permanent replacement to take over in good time. Keep Potter until the end of the season and the club can't do that.

SAFMUTD

Sacking Potter and getting a temp in allows the club do a proper search for a permanent replacement to take over in good time. Keep Potter until the end of the season and the club can't do that.
Sure they can, it's not like they're going to unearth a hidden manager gem from a low league. They're going for Naggelsmann or Luis Enrique. Everyone knows it, you don't need months to decide between them.

duffer

Scout
Sure they can, it's not like they're going to unearth a hidden manager gem from a low league. They're going for Naggelsmann or Luis Enrique. Everyone knows it, you don't need months to decide between them.
Just because the club decides they want whoever they wanted doesn't mean they get them the day after. These things can take a few weeks, especially Nagelsman with his situation at Bayern.

If the decision was made to sack Potter, better to do it sooner rather than later. Keeping him at the club serves no benefit.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Just because the club decides they want whoever they wanted doesn't mean they get them the day after. These things can take a few weeks, especially Nagelsman with his situation at Bayern.

If the decision was made to sack Potter, better to do it sooner rather than later. Keeping him at the club serves no benefit.
I’m not sure I agree. We are on the downward spiral, ai get it, but if the ONLY choice was between keeping Potter and having Lampard as an interim then keeping Potter would have been the better decision. Financially and in terms of results. I don’t see how Lampard magically changes our fortunes. I love him but isn’t a very good manager and no one on gods green earth is going to say he is better than Potter. If we go on some ridiculous run then the players are cnuts, simple.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Only explanation is that the squad turned against him or it was toxic as feck.

The season is already lost, they're clearly not getting top 5 neither they're going to get relegated, and obviously they won't beat Madrid. So it makes no sense changing managers at this point, specially such an underwhelming appointment such as Lampard.
Ignoring it on our side for a minute is it fair on Potter to keep him on if him leaving is decided?

This way he gets a break he most likely badly needs both physically and mentally aswell as puts him in the shop window for a vacancy that becomes available when he would otherwise still be here as a sitting duck.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I don't think it's a bad idea to hire Lampard as a take-care interim manager. At least, he is one of the greatest Chelsea legends, he can motivate their spirits of players back again( although in his first round, he had some conflicts with his players). In the summer, Chelsea will hire top manager or even unrealistic/unexpected people.

SAFMUTD

Ignoring it on our side for a minute is it fair on Potter to keep him on if him leaving is decided?

This way he gets a break he most likely badly needs both physically and mentally aswell as puts him in the shop window for a vacancy that becomes available when he would otherwise still be here as a sitting duck.
It depends on how you look at it, some may call disrespectful to keep Potter when Chelsea had already made his mind about him, others will claim that it's disrespectful to sack him half through the season only to appoint a low calibre manager in Lampard.

I think this leaves Potter's reputation very weakened. He was praised as a really good manager on the up before taking the job at chelsea. I don't think he'll get another shot at a top team after this at least not in the short and medium term.

duffer

Scout
I’m not sure I agree. We are on the downward spiral, ai get it, but if the ONLY choice was between keeping Potter and having Lampard as an interim then keeping Potter would have been the better decision. Financially and in terms of results. I donIf we go on some ridiculous run then the players are cnuts, simple.
I don't see why it would have been financially better to keep Potter for 2 more months. Might have saved a few grand on whatever Lampard is getting but that won't be enough to be significant in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of the players like Lampard. It seems none of them did Potter.

Maybe we'll see an upturn, maybe we won't. I personally don't think it will make a huge difference to our performances but it obviously wasn't clicking under Potter and there were no signs it was about to.

As for keeping Potter, that would mean the club couldn't properly look for a replacement until the season was over. Better to just rip the plaster off and give the club as much time to prepare for next season as possible.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
There's no point in keeping Potter if you're set on replacing him in the summer.

And as much flack as Lampard gets, he had a better win percentage at Chelsea than Graham.. The season is a write off. As it was when Mourinho was sacked 2nd time round and they replaced him with Hiddink who had a 37% win percentage for the rest of the season. In the summer they got Conte, had a pre-season, and won the league.

Wing Attack Plan R

Happy is probably not the word I would use but I'm not mad about it either. I'm content with Frank in the short term.

At this point I would think even the most biased fans would agree that Lampard is by no means a top manager but I would also point out that around 10 games is not enough time for any manager to make any drastic changes to the way the team play so mostly it will all come down to how Lamps can motivate the team.

Coming in at this late in the season he's basically a glorified cheerleader and only brought in to improve the atmosphere around the training ground, which is a role he might even be well suited for. Long term we absolutely need a manager who can light a fire under these lazy feckers' arses but right now just having someone who can potentially improve the morale of the squad would already be an improvement.

If the question was who I'd rather have between Potter's former assistant Bruno Saltor and Frank Lampard, I would absolutely pick the latter for whatever's left in the season. But even if Lampard somehow managed to pull off the impossible and fluke a CL title I still wouldn't give him the job full-time.
That's a very sober take, thank you.

Wing Attack Plan R

It's not even that. Giggsy hadn't been fired after proving himself unfit for the job two years prior.
Wasn't Giggs proved morally unfit by banging everything that moved? It wasn't because he was managerially inept, was it? I honestly don't remember anything about him being bad at the job, just remember his form "away from home" being exceptional.

Moriarty

I imagine the Chelsea dressing room will be fine with Lampard. If anything, he'll gee them up and get them playing for each other and for the shirt.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ever since Derby, Lampard has chosen really poor jobs to advance his career. Chelsea came way too early under difficult circumstances. He could have built a decent team with a lot of Chelsea’s own, but that has never been what modern Chelsea has been about.

He lost his job and then went to Everton, a club in a spiral with serious financial difficulties. He lost his job.

He is now going back to the same club that put a serious dent in his reputation the first time, into a toxic dressing room with 40 players and very little to play for bar a one off tie against one of the best teams in the world.

He probably isn’t a good coach, but he certainly doesn’t help himself.

Abraxas

Disrespectful to Potter? :lol:

How does respect even enter into it? He was employed to manage a football team, he didn't reach the standards expected, and the club compensated him for his early departure. You also enter into football management at the top level with your eyes wide open about what the consequences of failure are, it's not as if he has been swindled, he entered into the bargain!

The quality of the interim/caretaker has feck all to do with respect either. They're often "objectively" worse managers, that's why they're caretaker managers and not on a lucrative, permanent deal with a top club. Everyone knows what caretakers are there to do. Get an immediate uplift, new manager bounce, whatever its packaged as.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nope, none at all.

el3mel

Potter got ton of chances to turn it around and the team kept on going down hill. There's no reason to continue the season with him. He totally and completely failed to get these players to perform for, or even respect him. It's his own fault that for the players he looked completely out of his depth at such level. Just look at the guy, he looks like a clown who gives zero confidence vibes. It's really his fault, not the players'.

Get a caretaker who will at the very least improve the atmosphere of the dressing room and steady the ship till Enrique arrives.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see why it would have been financially better to keep Potter for 2 more months. Might have saved a few grand on whatever Lampard is getting but that won't be enough to be significant in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of the players like Lampard. It seems none of them did Potter.

Maybe we'll see an upturn, maybe we won't. I personally don't think it will make a huge difference to our performances but it obviously wasn't clicking under Potter and there were no signs it was about to.

As for keeping Potter, that would mean the club couldn't properly look for a replacement until the season was over. Better to just rip the plaster off and give the club as much time to prepare for next season as possible.
Be interested to see if Kepa is dropped.

We played well against Villa and Liverpool. At least in terms of xG, possession, territory advantage, passes etc.

The difference between the games was the mistake by Cucu gifting Villa a goal. Can criticise Potter for that, Cucu made mistake after mistake and still gets picked when we've other defenders on the bench.

We created quite a bit in both but just woeful finishing, margjnal offsides and disallowed goals.

I agree it doesn't matter much for this season. What it does show is the owners are clowns who have no idea what they're doing. The money waste on terrible transfers already gave a hint. Only Enzo has actually worked.

It bodes really badly for us going forward. The only positive is at least Clearlake aren't creaming the money off like the Glazers... we lose money and will do for the foreseeable future.

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
I don't get how other club fans think it is a good idea to keep Potter for the rest of the season. (i mean i know why they would want it.)

You can't have a manager when the whole stadiums is singing at him "get out, you don't know what you are doing" for the rest of the season. That is just toxic.

I know the ownership is different but the fans are from the Abramovic era, and they are used to big ego, big cv managers and they won't put up with the most bland manager of all of them especially after Tuchel who demanded only the best to Potter's "the boys gave everything" after every bad and rarely good result.

If people really think this Chelsea team can win the Champions league they must be joking, dosen't matter if Enrique or Nagelsmann (who probably doesn't want a new gig right away) comes in.

Lampard is just here to put a smile on the fans and players (who respect him more i guess). Europe is done and the league is done (big maybe for Eueopa League) so Lampard gets a free hit. If he does somewhat well (you can't really make it much worse) it well look better on him than having just the Everton sacking to remember.

Finally the Board do something right after many mistakes and and the end of season everything can restart in a new light. They are not this bonkers to keep Lampard around. Really Lampard was quite good in his first season with chelsea only the end was bad (obviously) but it is just for 12games so whats the risk. Win win for every body.

Ghirahim

Chelsea 0-3 Bayern
Bayern 4-1 Chelsea

Frank's back! Real will breeze through to the semi. This is going to be funny to watch.

Last edited:

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea 0-3 Bayern
Bayern 4-1 Chelsea

Frank's back! Real will breeze through to the semi. This is going to be funny to watch.
That Bayern Team was just nuts you have to say. They won the next round 8-2 against Barceloa, in just one game.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Chelsea 0-3 Bayern
Bayern 4-1 Chelsea

Yeah, I don't see it. Even if they beat Real, they won’t turn over Bayern or City.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Probably the worst I've seen Chelsea play this season :lol: