Frank Lampard | Burnley?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Politician aside, is there any job in the world that rewards failure like being a football manager?

I mean, we know what lampard does at chelsea. He fails hard enough to get sacked.
Ancelotti got the sack from Madrid and they took him back. So it can work. But this is Frank Lampard…

roseguy64

Whether you rate him or not (and most people don't) Solksjaer must be wondering how the feck he hasn't had an offer from a decent team yet when this clown somehow keeps getting PL gigs.
Why do you assume he hasn't had offers?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Ancelotti got the sack from Madrid and they took him back. So it can work. But this is Frank Lampard…
Carlo went to Bayern, Napoli and Everton, his win % at the latter not far off double Lampard's 27%.

If sacking Potter was a football descision, there's no way appointmenting Lampard is.

It all smacks of headless chicken knee jerking by the owners. Lampard is surely a PR move to keep fans onside.

It wouldn't surprise me if Potter was sacked because social media engagement fell off or they weren't selling the expensive seats easily enough...

Really does not bode well for their ownership that's for sure.

SAFMUTD

Poor feckers it's a lose-lose situation. It either goes really bad for him or claims about him getting the permanent job will start.

It'd be great it Chelsea somehow manage to get past Madrid in the UCL and win 6-7 games in EPL and Todd Boehly starts wondering that Lampard is actually good and deserves a chance next season. :lol:

SAFMUTD

Whether you rate him or not (and most people don't) Solksjaer must be wondering how the feck he hasn't had an offer from a decent team yet when this clown somehow keeps getting PL gigs.
Lampard is clearly not a top manager and has failed at top level. But he had a good run in the championship so I guess he has that.

Ole hasnt had a good run any where, maybe in Norway but that counts next to zero, also while the results here weren't as bad as the performances every man and his dog now he's under qualified for any position in top leagues.

He not only won't get a job in any top league but he won't even be considered for it. Maybe he thinks he's too good to manage again in the Norwegian league, but he'll eventually come around. 1-2 more seasons without any offers and he'll accept his reality.

The United

Lampard is clearly not a top manager and has failed at top level. But he had a good run in the championship so I guess he has that.

Ole hasnt had a good run any where, maybe in Norway but that counts next to zero, also while the results here weren't as bad as the performances every man and his dog now he's under qualified for any position in top leagues.

He not only won't get a job in any top league but he won't even be considered for it. Maybe he thinks he's too good to manage again in the Norwegian league, but he'll eventually come around. 1-2 more seasons without any offers and he'll accept his reality.
Would think getting 3rd and 2nd in the league can be considered as 'good run' for his standard and the situation that we found ourselves in. I mean Lampard was ever close to that with a PL team?

Last edited:

2 man midfield

I mean, that isn’t true considering it was exactly that which got him the gig on a full time basis

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

This is pure nonsense. Even if you absolutely despise Ole and wish him terribly, his record as a manager is much better than Lampard’s.

Also I wouldn’t say winning titles and doing well in Europe against respectable teams with Molde is so much worse than finishing mid-table with Derby.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Would think getting 3rd and 2nd in the league can be considered as 'good run' for his standard and the situation that we found ourselves in. I mean Lampard was ever close to that with a PL team?
The first of those finishes was achieved ahead of Lampard on mere goal difference (that wrongly disallowed Zouma goal effectively the difference), that despite Lampard spending nothing and losing his gamechanging forward while Ole gaining a gamechanging forward as part of a (roughly) £200m spend.

Also given how well Carrick and McKenna are doing in their respective jobs you have to wonder if it wasn't a case of the assistant(s) doing all the coaching and tactics for him like Gerrard at Rangers and Avram with us.

Regardless it's spitting hairs really, there's enough sample size now to come to the conclusion neither are likely to amount to anything serious as managers.

edcunited1878

Potter is a better manager than Lampard, that's pretty clear.

I just cannot understand what will change with Lampard when he's failed dramatically with Chelsea already, including at least half(?) the current squad who he has worked with and they happened to chew up and spit out Potter. Just because you're a club legend doesn't mean you're going to get everyone on board with your shit tactics and same coaching staff that failed before you and with you. This is failing forward at its best.

Lampard has a better chance of lacing up his boots and scoring goals for Chelsea than he does guiding them again as interim manager. It's fecking wild.

Djemba-Djemba

Chelsea just come across a complete mess behind the scenes.

They were always a bit mad, and it never stopped them winning stuff, but even by their standards this is mad.

These new owners seem mental.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The first of those finishes was achieved ahead of Lampard on mere goal difference (that wrongly disallowed Zouma goal effectively the difference), that despite Lampard spending nothing and losing his gamechanging forward while Ole gaining a gamechanging forward as part of a (roughly) £200m spend.

Also given how well Carrick and McKenna are doing in their respective jobs you have to wonder if it wasn't a case of the assistant(s) doing all the coaching and tactics for him like Gerrard at Rangers and Avram with us.

Regardless it's spitting hairs really, there's enough sample size now to come to the conclusion neither are likely to amount to anything serious as managers.
Yeah poor Lampard took over such a poor squad while Ole had a great squad and no injuries for several months to key players in his time here. Especially not in the season he finished ahead of Lampard.

Also Chelsea is the only team to ever have a goal wrongly disallowed.

And who cares about mere goal difference anyway, it doesn’t matter, that’s why United also got awarded the league title in 2012.

Also managing in the championship and league 1 is equal to being manager in the Premier league at a big club. So well done Carrick and McKenna.

You can come up with as many excuses as you want, but the truth is that you won’t find that many rather average or even good managers (so I am not talking about great managers) who have achieved 3rd and 2nd place in two consecutive seasons in the Premier League. Lampard definitely hasn’t and most likely never will.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah poor Lampard took over such a poor squad while Ole had a great squad and no injuries for several months to key players in his time here. Especially not in the season he finished ahead of Lampard.

Also Chelsea is the only team to ever have a goal wrongly disallowed.

And who cares about mere goal difference anyway, it doesn’t matter, that’s why United also got awarded the league title in 2012.

Also managing in the championship and league 1 is equal to being manager in the Premier league at a big club. So well done Carrick and McKenna.

You can come up with as many excuses as you want, but the truth is that you won’t find that many rather average or even good managers (so I am not talking about great managers) who have achieved 3rd and 2nd place in two consecutive seasons in the Premier League. Lampard definitely hasn’t and most likely never will.
Supposedly not being backed is an excuse I see constantly see being made for Ten Hag getting dragged back in a top four race and falling so far behind City and Arsenal.

And if you want to talk about injuries, we had Rudiger and Kante out for a large part of that season, so that's the spine of the side that finished 3rd and won the Europa League stripped away and Lampard wasn't handed a £80m centre half to compensate.

Good point tbf, I did forget about Ole's superb season in the Championship.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Supposedly not being backed is an excuse I see constantly see being made for Ten Hag getting dragged back in a top four race and falling so far behind City and Arsenal.

And if you want to talk about injuries, we had Rudiger and Kante out for a large part of that season, so that's the spine of the side that finished 3rd and won the Europa League stripped away and Lampard wasn't handed a £80m centre half to compensate.

Good point tbf, I did forget about Ole's superb season in the Championship.
That’s fine, you can forget about Ole‘s season in the championship. To me 2nd and 3rd place in the PL is more important, but maybe that’s just me.
Doing well with smaller clubs, let alone in smaller league is absolutely no guarantee for doing well at a big club. Moyes, Hodgson, Potter and many others being examples for that.

As far as ETH is concerned I am not one of those finding excuses for him. While I believe he has done a decent to good job, he is currently on course to finish the season on 72 points. If this guarantees top 4 at the end then good, otherwise it will be a disaster.

SAFMUTD

That's why I said the results weren't as bad as performances. There's a reason why we sit 4th and people like ten Hag but still didn't with Ole on 2nd and 3rd for example.

SAFMUTD

This is pure nonsense. Even if you absolutely despise Ole and wish him terribly, his record as a manager is much better than Lampard’s.

Also I wouldn’t say winning titles and doing well in Europe against respectable teams with Molde is so much worse than finishing mid-table with Derby.
Being honest nobody cares about results in low leagues, I remember being a case about the new Molde's manager doing way better than Ole. Yet nobody knows him and you'll see absolutely no interest on him because no one cares about low leagues.

I don't understand how or why Lampard did get another chance, but he did, Ole won't.

TheLord

Didn't need to sack Potter if they decide to write the season off. Having to pay extra for Lampard appointment with little/zero upside.

As disappointing as Potter, reading from all the Chelsea related threads, it's not like Chelsea fan wanted him go before this season end at all cost if not for a permanent appointment.
Potter had the worst record of all permanent Chelsea managers in the last 25 years. I think many Chelsea fans were quite vocal about wanting Potter gone.

The United

That's why I said the results weren't as bad as performances. There's a reason why we sit 4th and people like ten Hag but still didn't with Ole on 2nd and 3rd for example.
You do know that people liked Ole in those seasons too right?

Señor Sloppy

They were always a bit mad, and it never stopped them winning stuff, but even by their standards this is mad.

It was a sustainable madness when Abramovich was doing the funding and expecting absolutely zero ROI.

With these owners actually wanting to make money from Chelsea, you have to think that if everything doesn't suddenly come perfectly together in the next year or so then they will very abruptly shut off the money tap.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Lampard is surely a PR move to keep fans onside.
Do your fans honestly want him? Who on earth thinks this is a good idea?

Your teams worst ideas;

1. Rehiring Lampard
2. Signing way too many players
3. Handing so many of them massive contracts
4. Sacking Potter

I actually think that sacking Potter would be a great idea if you’d brought in a manager capable of winning the CL. But you haven’t. Vibes are not going to help against Real Madrid. At all. Lampard is a disaster of an appointment.

Pintu

Real Madrid appointed Everton's coach and went on to win the UCL.

Watch Chelsea do the same now. Lampard to become the first English manager to a win a European trophy since Bobby Robson with Barca.

SAFMUTD

You do know that people liked Ole in those seasons too right?
I don't think many here we're ever convinced. There was always talk about individual brilliance rather than actual team performances.

Anyway this is a Frank Lampard thread so I won't deviate it anymore, if worth for anything there's rumors about Ole being a candidate for Bruges' job. About his level I'd say in a minor league.

Tarrou

this is just mental

why sack Potter if you don’t have someone lined up and you’re just getting someone who already failed as interim?

The United

I don't think many here we're ever convinced. There was always talk about individual brilliance rather than actual team performances.

Anyway this is a Frank Lampard thread so I won't deviate it anymore, if worth for anything there's rumors about Ole being a candidate for Bruges' job. About his level I'd say in a minor league.
Irony that we still have the same issue more or less this season.

2 man midfield

That was a very short spell. Still will get him no offers based on that.
It got Man United to offer him their job. I reckon he’s had offers, he just turned them down. He’s got to take one sooner or later though or he risks doing an Alan curbishly.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea fans happy with this version of ‘give it Giggsy til the end of the season’?
Happy is probably not the word I would use but I'm not mad about it either. I'm content with Frank in the short term.

At this point I would think even the most biased fans would agree that Lampard is by no means a top manager but I would also point out that around 10 games is not enough time for any manager to make any drastic changes to the way the team play so mostly it will all come down to how Lamps can motivate the team.

Coming in at this late in the season he's basically a glorified cheerleader and only brought in to improve the atmosphere around the training ground, which is a role he might even be well suited for. Long term we absolutely need a manager who can light a fire under these lazy feckers' arses but right now just having someone who can potentially improve the morale of the squad would already be an improvement.

If the question was who I'd rather have between Potter's former assistant Bruno Saltor and Frank Lampard, I would absolutely pick the latter for whatever's left in the season. But even if Lampard somehow managed to pull off the impossible and fluke a CL title I still wouldn't give him the job full-time.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I dont think getting 3rd and 2nd in consecutive PL seasons is considered "not a good run".

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Abramovich simply wasn't a patient man and you got fired if you were not successful. And everybody knew this, so I would at least grant him method to this "madness". And I feel like this is also part of why they were so successful despite their lack of stability - every bad run was ended by a fresh start and this way there always was the feeling around them "ok this was bad, but now they can go on a run".

Boehly in a way is doing the worst of both ways to manage a club. Being impatient with Tuchel early in the season, now being to patient with Potter, what will happen next? I agree, this just seems mental, there isn't a clear method how to manage the club anymore.

justsomebloke

Happy is probably not the word I would use but I'm not mad about it either. I'm content with Frank in the short term.

At this point I would think even the most biased fans would agree that Lampard is by no means a top manager but I would also point out that around 10 games is not enough time for any manager to make any drastic changes to the way the team play so mostly it will all come down to how Lamps can motivate the team.

Coming in at this late in the season he's basically a glorified cheerleader and only brought in to improve the atmosphere around the training ground, which is a role he might even be well suited for. Long term we absolutely need a manager who can light a fire under these lazy feckers' arses but right now just having someone who can potentially improve the morale of the squad would already be an improvement.

If the question was who I'd rather have between Potter's former assistant Bruno Saltor and Frank Lampard, I would absolutely pick the latter for whatever's left in the season. But even if Lampard somehow managed to pull off the impossible and fluke a CL title I still wouldn't give him the job full-time.
But that's exactly what I don't get here. I can see the merit of going for a motivator in this situation, absolutely. Bur how does it improve the atmosphere of the squad to bring in someone who half of them actually experienced crashing and burning with not much more than two years ago? And who was reportedly viewed as aloof and non-communicative by many players, as well as not particularly competent? Surely that must gravely undercut his potential as a motivator, which is just about the only area of coaching where you could even argue he brings something?