Frank Lampard | Burnley?

I know of somebody who can help them with that.

2724.jpg

0XuWlSG.png

The disastrous last season was also in part due to him.
He was part of saving them i assume. So answer where they should be now with their great team.Top 10 or top 12 or top 15? Reasonable position for them nothing more than top 15 in my opinion.

He was part of saving them i assume. So answer where they should be now with their great team.
Yes, I said they had a great team. Also, why does he get kudos for saving them from a relegation battle he was a big part of putting them into?

The answer to your question is that they're probably at the place they're meant to be... with him in charge. A good manager is a guy who's able to elevate the team, and get some more out of the squad. I don't think 3-4 teams above him have particularly better squads, and I think there are a few teams punching above their weight due to good managers with clear ideas.

I don't really care that much about Everton either way, I'm just mystified at the defence this guy gets, when it's seeming more and more obvious he's a mediocre manager, pretty devoid of any interesting footballing ideas, and not particularly charismatic or likeable. Someone in here mentioned Dyche, he's a guy I have a lot more time for, even though I find his football gloablly shit, at least he's quite clear about what you get with him, and actually getting the best out of what he's given.

Everton have been poorly run for quite some time & Frank was never going to find it easy to turn things around. I don't see that firing him would change very much & I expect them to be in the bottom third all season regardless of who the manager is.

Yes, I said they had a great team. Also, why does he get kudos for saving them from a relegation battle he was a big part of putting them into?

The answer to your question is that they're probably at the place they're meant to be... with him in charge. A good manager is a guy who's able to elevate the team, and get some more out of the squad. I don't think 3-4 teams above him have particularly better squads, and I think there are a few teams punching above their weight due to good managers with clear ideas.

I don't really care that much about Everton either way, I'm just mystified at the defence this guy gets, when it's seeming more and more obvious he's a mediocre manager, pretty devoid of any interesting footballing ideas, and not particularly charismatic or likeable. Someone in here mentioned Dyche, he's a guy I have a lot more time for, even though I find his football gloablly shit, at least he's quite clear about what you get with him, and actually getting the best out of what he's given.
I don't know what you are expecting from him with that team. It's not football manager but real world.

You may get right answer from Everton fans who fully knew their team s worth. But so for he did okay in my opinion.Have to wait and see.

My theory is he gets defended because he’s a bloke’s bloke. He doesn’t have a goofy grin. He’s got a way of spouting the right cliché in the right way at the right time. His achievements as manager are worse than nothing really.

The writing has got to be on the wall now, and not this either...
CgAGVmHxDkeAZ5-kAAEYg_9BdTc020.jpg.webp

(still convinced a Liverpool fan must have been behind this :lol:)

I think this result means his record is officially worse than Benitez, too.

Yeah, he’s doing a great job :wenger:

Benitez was better. The fans and R’son got Everton over the line last season, not Frank Lampard.

I’ll be surprised if he survives this. They could persevere with him but I can’t think of good reason to do that.

Yeah, he’s doing a great job :wenger:

Benitez was better. The fans and R’son got Everton over the line last season, not Frank Lampard.
Benitez was diabolical.

Frank will get sacked, but every Everton fan will say he's done a better job than Benitez, no matter how marginal.

Benitez was diabolical.

Frank will get sacked, but every Everton fan will say he's done a better job than Benitez, no matter how marginal.

Because every Everton fan has a gigantic hateboner for FSW, and the only thing Lampard ever had going for him was that his name isn't Rafael Benitez. Not because he's actually done any better of a job.

Because every Everton fan has a gigantic hateboner for FSW, and the only thing Lampard ever had going for him was that his name isn't Rafael Benitez. Not because he's actually done any better of a job.
Not necessarily. Frank did well in the run in at the end of last season that earnt him a lot of goodwill. They beat us and Chelsea at Goodison in that run. Fostered a 'us vs them' environment, dogged mentality which helped his cause.

Benitez has the personality and charisma of a dead fish and his football was ugly af (not saying Frank's was better but he got a tune out of some of their guys - Gray, Richarlison, Gordon etc).

Last edited:
Unfortunately the PL is unforgiving. Up until a few weeks ago it wasn’t that bad but performances since have been pretty disgraceful. When you aren’t getting wins against Bournemouth and you’re instead being thrashed when you need as many points as you can get he can’t have much to say if he’s sacked.

Unfortunately the PL is unforgiving. Up until a few weeks ago it wasn’t that bad but performances since have been pretty disgraceful. When you aren’t getting wins against Bournemouth and you’re instead being thrashed when you need as many points as you can get he can’t have much to say if he’s sacked.

You were still in love with him a few short weeks ago.

Not necessarily. Frank did well in the run in at the end of last season that earnt him a lot of goodwill. They beat us and Chelsea at Goodison in that run. Fostered a 'us vs them' environment, dogged mentality which helped his cause.

Benitez has the personality and charisma of a dead fish and his football was ugly af (not saying Frank's was better but he a tune out of some of their guys - Gray, Richarlison, Gordon etc).

If it wasn't for Pickford deciding he was the second coming of Lev Yashin for multiple games at the end of last season, they'd be in the Championship now. As far is improving the atmosphere at the club, basically anybody else could have done the same. He's not really shown anything that they couldn't have gotten by giving it to Duncan Ferguson.

He was already below Benitez on points per game, and now probably on win rate as well.

He was vastly overrating Lampard like all Everton fans seem to do.

One of life’s big mysteries is the media and football fans’ love for Lampard the manager.

Needs 3 years and £300m before being judged

#fattysatthewheel
I would love it if they kept him for 3 years :lol:

Everton in the Championship just seems right these days. They’re a shambles from top to bottom but somehow cling on. A turd that just refuses to flush.

Maybe it wasn’t terrible but it was pretty bad, don’t you think? The odd win got Everton up the table a bit but it all looked very precarious.

As for keeping Everton up last year, I can’t see that as an achievement. They should have been mid table (ish).

Gambling on Calvert Lewin to actually stay fit was very naive and will likely cost him his job in near future.

I reckon our own Carrick will go on to become a far more successful manager than both Gerrard and Lampard. He's taken things slow and steady, learning his trade as a coach and now a Championship manager, rather than relying on a big 'brand name' to get a big job undeservedly.

Losing 4-1 and 3-0 to Bournemouth in 3 days must really hurt their fans. It could be perfect time to sack Lampard with WC coming up. Only thing saving his job is the fact that they stayed up in the end last season so they could give him another month or so after World Cup to try turn things around.

I reckon our own Carrick will go on to become a far more successful manager than both Gerrard and Lampard. He's taken things slow and steady, learning his trade as a coach and now a Championship manager, rather than relying on a big 'brand name' to get a big job undeservedly.

I think that's one thing Lampard can't really be blamed for. It's not as though if we offered Carrick the full-time job at United, he'd have responded by saying "Nah, let me manage Middlesbrough for a bit first".

It'd have been very difficult to turn down Chelsea and now Everton.

only a point above Forest who have been woeful.

only a point above Forest who have been woeful.

To be fair, Forest have improved quite a bit recently. They are in the best form of the bottom 8. There will be quite a few teams in trouble if they actually start gaining any sort of consistent form.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lampard seemed to make Everton quite solid defensively earlier in the season, but that seems to have collapsed. That is a major issue considering they were not really scoring many goals.

It isn't looking promising and I can see him being sacked, but, then again, do Everton actually have the money to sack him? Maybe they will be forced to stick with him.

I did make it very clear in my OP: they would have been better off giving the post to Ole :)
100%. It’s not even a close thing; Ole has far better credentials. The only thing Lampard has is the “I’m seriously cool on camera and I tell it like it is” thing, which some people get taken in by. Ole would have had that squad in mid table, no bother but I doubt if anyone would even suggest Ole.

Appointing Lampard was a bizarre gamble but his demeanour seems to be persuasive. He looks and talks so much like a successful manager that no-one can believe any of it is his fault. Ole was the opposite.

You could probably have gotten away with hiring a Gerrard or Lampard ten years ago but nowadays midtable clubs are appointing managers like Emery and Lopetegui.

Lampard isn't good enough and I expect Everton to have a new manager when the season restarts.

I have always acknowledged that results matter. He did very well to galvanise the club when Benitez almost destroyed it but he’s always been fighting a losing battle. I like him and think he’s a decent bloke but if the results aren’t happening and then the performances also drop it’s a situation which becomes difficult to back. Before the palace game we might not have been getting the results but the foundations were there that showed we had the potential to push forward. Since then we have been absolutely shocking and that’s matching the results. It is inexcusable despite how much you like someone.

At the end of last season we had no justifiable reason to sack him really. He did well given the task at hand. This season so far you could say though that not enough progression has been made given we are just above the relegation zone. There are only 5 points between us and 9th so the board might not worry too much but they also have a good opportunity over this WC break to change if they want to. I’d be a hypocrite to not criticise Lampard for this run of form when I was so critical of Gerrard and Benitez. Both were poorer in my opinion for other reasons outside of just the results but Lampard is in a position now where it doesn’t matter how much he’s changed things at the club, the results are what keep you in the league and they’re unfortunately not good enough currently.

It’s almost as if people can have fluid and changing opinions.

Last edited:
100%. It’s not even a close thing; Ole has far better credentials. The only thing Lampard has is the “I’m seriously cool on camera and I tell it like it is” thing, which some people get taken in by. Ole would have had that squad in mid table, no bother but I doubt if anyone would even suggest Ole.

Appointing Lampard was a bizarre gamble but his demeanour seems to be persuasive. He looks and talks so much like a successful manager that no-one can believe any of it is his fault. Ole was the opposite.
I agree as well. Him and Gerrard just do not have the people skills to be top managers, especially without the tactical aptitude to back up their arrogance. Someone like prime Mourinho could at least call himself a tactical genius, even if he wasn’t exactly the nicest bloke.

When Ole has a team at that end of the league he finished 20th (after taking them over in 17th) then was sacked the following season with them 18th in the division below.

When Ole has a team at that end of the league he finished 20th (after taking them over in 17th) then was sacked the following season with them 18th in the division below.
True (although this Everton squad pisses on that Cardiff squad) but he was inexperienced then. Ole is now several notches above Lampard (which isn’t saying much).

You could probably have gotten away with hiring a Gerrard or Lampard ten years ago but nowadays midtable clubs are appointing managers like Emery and Lopetegui.

Lampard isn't good enough and I expect Everton to have a new manager when the season restarts.
Of course. Lampard might very well be good enough one day but not yet.