Frank Lampard | Burnley?

Have to say I can't understand the hate when it comes to him, a brilliant player, his coaching career not so much yet but might get there
It is basically that he gets jobs he's not qualified for because he's Frank Lampard.

He'll be the first manager out this season.

I don't understand people using the word "hate" to characterise valid criticism being leveled at a manager on an internet forum.

Which parts are valid? Most of the posts from non-Everton fans in here have been uninformed and haven't had a clue about the state of the club or the position Lampard has been in since he joined us. If the valid criticism is that he gets jobs based on his name and doesn't have the experience that he should for the job I agree but the posts that offer nothing but "should be sacked", "they'll be relegated with him, just get rid" etc. are crap.

Which parts are valid? Most of the posts from non-Everton fans in here have been uninformed and haven't had a clue about the state of the club or the position Lampard has been in since he joined us. If the valid criticism is that he gets jobs based on his name and doesn't have the experience that he should for the job I agree but the posts that offer nothing but "should be sacked", "they'll be relegated with him, just get rid" etc. are crap.
Not really, he was seriously poor from the moment he came in last season. It was presented as some kind of miracle that you didn't get relegated in the end, but he massively contributed (along with Benitez's tenure of course) to putting you in that situation. He's just not a very good manager, he doesn't seem to have any defined style of play, doesn't handle in game management well, and he's prone to throwing his players under the bus, which to me highlights an incapacity to put himself in question, and to be humble, which are very important attributes for a successful manager.

Not really, he was seriously poor from the moment he came in last season. It was presented as some kind of miracle that you didn't get relegated in the end, but he massively contributed (along with Benitez's tenure of course) to putting you in that situation. He's just not a very good manager, he doesn't seem to have any defined style of play, doesn't handle in game management well, and he's prone to throwing his players under the bus, which to me highlights an incapacity to put himself in question, and to be humble, which are very important attributes for a successful manager.

That's completely wrong but you're entitled to your opinion.

Do Everton have no money? What's up with their transfer strategy?
They blew their load over the last 2/3 seasons on players that barely improved them. Now they're paying for it.

It's going to require a bit of a miracle if they do stay up this year.

should be sacked. they'll be relegated with him. just get rid.

Plus their owner isn’t really their owner but we all have to pretend that’s not happening.

Yeah, how they manage to dance around the whole Usmanov thing will have a lot more bearing on how fecked they are than anything Lampard does or doesn't do (even though he's been pretty shite and Everton fans are still too blinded by their Benitez hateboners to see it).

Yeah, how they manage to dance around the whole Usmanov thing will have a lot more bearing on how fecked they are than anything Lampard does or doesn't do (even though he's been pretty shite and Everton fans are still too blinded by their Benitez hateboners to see it).

Maybe we just understand the perils behind our club more than neutrals and how fecked we were pre-Lampard and how he navigated it. I don't think you'll find an Everton fan who thinks he is going to become the best manager in the league or even any who thinks he has the merits to take us to the next level but we didn't have a lot of choice at the time and he did well considering the circumstances. To say he has been shite is just nonsense.

It is basically that he gets jobs he's not qualified for because he's Frank Lampard.

Why is he not qualified? Also is Gerrard getting same shit too?

He's obviously not a great manager but it is interesting the narrative around him and Gerrard is so different when they have very similar records last season, with Gerrard having much better resources. I do expect both to be sacked this season at some point.

He's obviously not a great manager but it is interesting the narrative around him and Gerrard is so different when they have very similar records last season, with Gerrard having much better resources. I do expect both to be sacked this season at some point.

Lampard has a more negative narrative because he’s already failed at one PL club, whereas Gerrard hasn’t failed anywhere. Hopefully a situation that changes this season.

Feel sorry for Frank - he has a terrible squad of players, not sure what they are doing about adding to it but it certainly looks like a long road ahead this season.

17th will be good for them this season.

I mean it's obviously not "completely wrong", nor is it an opinion matter.

I mean, it is. To say he was seriously poor and massively contributed to the situation is not even worth debating with.

He took over a side in freefall, he took over a side with players that don't suit his style, he took over a side that had been gutted of it's main creative players (Gylfi, Digne and James), he took over at the end of the transfer window due to the tardiness of our board, he took over when we had an injury crises to key players at the club. So many things stacked against him and he still navigated and got us to safety with a game to spare. He had to tactically change many times through the season and showed he was capable of doing so, he managed to get players on side and the fans on side. Saying he doesn't have a defined style of play is odd too, he does but a lot of our players don't suit it so he was forced to use tactics which did and they worked. If we don't get players in that suit his style I'd feel sorry for him as he will have a rough time but that's obvious. Klopp didn't go into Liverpool and make them a title winning side straight away because the players there didn't suit his style so he had to wait a couple of years until he had a squad that did.

Last edited:

Yeah Chelsea was just an anomaly due to his incredible history as player. However I wouldn't say Derby was a job he was unqualified for given they appointed Rooney after him. And after leaving Chelsea he was always going to be in shake up for other prem jobs, no different to Tim Sherwood managing Spurs for six months and then we gave him the job the next season.

Sometimes big name players can't win when attempting to become manager as if they go to a Macclesfield or Southend like Sol Campbell has they get accused of not knowing the level. Tony Adams at Wycombe another example.

Guess Lampard is a little different as I don't think he's served in youth team or number 2 to anyone like Gerrard and Giggs have.

His record wasn't that bad. Played 9 league games at Goodison and won 5 of them, wins v two top 6 teams and also Newcastle who were in very good form either side of losing at Everton. 9-10 home wins this season would comfortably keep them up.

If Vinagre was a recommendation from Lampard, I Guess this will be a longo season for Everton fans

I mean, it is. To say he was seriously poor and massively contributed to the situation is not even worth debating with.

He took over a side in freefall, he took over a side with players that don't suit his style, he took over a side that had been gutted of it's main creative players (Gylfi, Digne and James), he took over at the end of the transfer window due to the tardiness of our board, he took over when we had an injury crises to key players at the club. So many things stacked against him and he still navigated and got us to safety with a game to spare. He had to tactically change many times through the season and showed he was capable of doing so, he managed to get players on side and the fans on side. Saying he doesn't have a defined style of play is odd too, he does but a lot of our players don't suit it so he was forced to use tactics which did and they worked. If we don't get players in that suit his style I'd feel sorry for him as he will have a rough time but that's obvious. Klopp didn't go into Liverpool and make them a title winning side straight away because the players there didn't suit his style so he had to wait a couple of years until he had a squad that did.

I'm certain you are more knowledgable about his tenure than most on here, but I'm curious to know how you'd describe his preferred style and what sort of players you require for that style?

I think he did well in his first Chelsea season, did decent at Derby too with all those Chelsea loans. But as soon as expectations arose he was floundering at Chelsea and to me he looked like someone who doesn't really know how to get out of it and comes out with pretty outdated cliches in his press conferences that do not indicate there's a spark (as he did at Everton).

If Vinagre was a recommendation from Lampard, I Guess this will be a longo season for Everton fans

I don't get this post and it's what frustrates me about this thread. People who don't read anything but want to have a pop at Lampard. Thelwell is our new DoF and was previously at Wolves. He likely suggested Vinagre who has been brought in as low cost cover for LB/LWB as we clearly want to use a system that relies on them. He has PL experience and is a cheap backup option for us.

I don't rate McTominay but he walks into Everton's midfield right now to be honest.

He isn't solving any issues. He'd be an upgrade on Tom Davies, congrats, that's nothing to cheer about. We need someone that can be an excellent DM or a creative player that can play balls between the lines. He's neither.

I'm certain you are more knowledgable about his tenure than most on here, but I'm curious to know how you'd describe his preferred style and what sort of players you require for that style?

I think he did well in his first Chelsea season, did decent at Derby too with all those Chelsea loans. But as soon as expectations arose he was floundering at Chelsea and to me he looked like someone who doesn't really know how to get out of it and comes out with pretty outdated cliches in his press conferences that do not indicate there's a spark (as he did at Everton).

He wants to play with attacking full backs that stretch the opposition with direct and high tempo football. To do that we need a midfield which is far more dynamic than our current players. We really need a DM that can cover for our fullbacks when needed and protect our defence which can be horribly exposed as players like Allan/Davies/Gomes don't have the legs to do it. We also need to replace the creativity and drive in our midfield as Doucoure is good at box-to-box work but with little creativity or end product. We also have an issue that many of our forward players don't suit that system which is awkward so it's going to be interesting to see how we piece it all together.

We absolutely need to sign at least one CM and one Forward this window.

Don’t think there’s much chance of that at all to be honest. Gerrard, Rodgers and (an outside bet) Tuchel all look a lot more precarious right now. On top of the likes of Marco Silva.

Lampard has a lot of goodwill in the bank from the fans for last season, the board situation is as clear as mud and everybody can see that squad should be getting relegated. Everton struggling won’t be pinned onto his head as much as most managers would get.

Don’t think there’s much chance of that at all to be honest. Gerrard, Rodgers and (an outside bet) Tuchel all look a lot more precarious right now. On top of the likes of Marco Silva.

Lampard has a lot of goodwill in the bank from the fans for last season, the board situation is as clear as mud and everybody can see that squad should be getting relegated. Everton struggling won’t be pinned onto his head as much as most managers would get.

What I don't understand is that Lampard has a better record than Gerrard since they both joined Villa + Everton yet Gerrard doesn't get nearly as much criticism, if at all.

What I don't understand is that Lampard has a better record than Gerrard since they both joined Villa + Everton yet Gerrard doesn't get nearly as much criticism, if at all.

Liverpool FC media

Liverpool FC media

Exactly. On the other hand you see articles like "Wow Villa signed Kamara because of Gerrard :drool:" .

Liverpool media is something else.

Gerrard got off to a decent start, which always helps mask what comes later. A poor start means that you’re fighting an uphill battle, whereas if you get off to a flyer nobody realises for a while that the wheels have come off. Gerrard was also seen as instrumental in Villa getting Coutinho which I don’t see as this huge positive that certain sections of the press do but it buys him more time and patience because perception = reality to many.

Decent start to the season. Back to back wins. Looks like he’s building something good at Everton.

He seems to have found a good balance, especially with his midfield trio of Geuye (holding) , Onana (box to box) and Iwobi (creator).

His tactics were pretty reminiscent of Big Sam and Sean Dyche there minus any of the defensive grit. Subs in all his tall guys to lump the ball into. There doesn’t seem to be any coherent team, plan or formation after a substantial period as their manager. Don’t see him surviving at Everton and ultimately as a PL manager for much longer.