Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

Small suggestion @Dirty Schwein

Lets make a bonus "free" round before the knock round. A lot of great movies will ultimately fail to make the cut. Whether of genre overlap or other reasons. This will give everybody an opportunity to partially correct difficult (or dumb) choices. Everybody would be able to nominate 5 movies regardless of genre.
Maybe a 'best of the rest' vote? Take 2 or 3 movies that missed out in each round and let us rank them? Top 3 go through or something.
Agreed. I think this is a great idea.
Oh so here's my thinking:

The KO round needs to be even numbers and end on something in multiples of 5 or 10 for the final...

So I'm gonna suggest:

We have a final round which consists of the 3 highest films from each round that missed the top 5.

People vote their top 3 from this list.

The 10 films with the highest votes progress to the KO round, making it 60 films.

Then the final will be the Top 30 remaining.

Everyone happy?

The KO round needs to be even numbers and end on something in multiples of 5 or 10 for the final...

So I'm gonna suggest:

We have a final round which consists of the 3 highest films from each round that missed the top 5.

The 10 films with the highest votes progress to the KO round, making it 60 films.

Everyone happy?

Yup

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. My cousin Vinny
3. Sleepless in seattle
4. Monty python and the holy grail
5. Titanic

1. Supertroopers
2. Chef
3. Wolf of Wallstreet
4. Step Brothers
5. Casablanca

1. Hiroshima Mon Amour
2. Dr Strangelove
3. Zoolander
4. Clueless
5. The Aviator's Wife

It's a sure sign of a society in decline that until now nobody even mentioned Clueless.

The lack of love for Linklater's 'Before...' trilogy is killing me. Fecking love those films :(

Glad no one has come up with the fecking lake house yet.

I tried to watch it on a flight recently and couldn’t bare more than 20 minutes. And my tolerance for shit films usually goes way up when on a plane.

I think the Matrices and others like Indiana, or BTTF stay separate. But LOTR and the Before films are intrinsically linked. I only like the first GF, so dunno if the second two should or could fit in the same way (sacrilege I know).
You can have a pass for Part 3 that's for sure.

I put the first, and as with LOTR I think the entries should be for all three.
Yeah, there aren't many films that are 'of a piece' but the LOTR and Before films definitely are. Or maybe they're just rare examples of perfect trilogies? Doesn't really work as well for the likes of Back to the Future or Indiana Jones does it? Tough one.

Good on you for choosing the first Before film though. They're all pretty much perfect IMO.

Not sure if any of the Before films would crack my top 10 but if we were ranking overall series it's right up there with the best.

I don't think we would be friends in real life :lol:

I liked 3.10 to Yuma...

Tom Cruise is brilliant in Tropic Thunder and there is some nice quirky, witty dialogue running through Scott Pilgrim, but otherwise the former is a load of nonsense which is just not funny and the later makes no sense.

They are still better than Shaolin Soccer though!

Infernal Affairs had a great idea for a film, the makers of The Departed took the premise and crafted something better.

Shaun of the dead? (comedy AND a romance)

Good film, but it's not Hot Fuzz (or any of the other films I listed). Obviously better than The World's End though.

Wow. There's posts that can be likened to car crashes, and then there's this.

That bad? What's your list?

1. Groundhog Day
2. Twins
3. Rush Hour
4. Hot Fuzz
5. Life (1999)

1) Four Lions
2) Superbad
3) The Hangover
4) Groundhog Day
5) The Big Sick

Weakest genre so far for me. I'd give most of these 7 or 7.5 out of 10, maybe 8 at a push. The order could easily change and there are several others that could easily have made the cut as I think there are lots of comedies / rom coms of a similar level. I think it's hard to make an amazing comedy.

So I'm gonna suggest:

Everyone happy?
Sounds very good.

A lot of votes for In Bruges. If you liked that film then you would probably also really like The Guard (both starring Brendan Gleeson). I felt I could only put one of them on my list so just went with the lesser known of the two.
Mentioned this last week. Its very good.

Does anyone else considering trainspotting a comedy?

1. Sideways
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Groundhog Day
4. Borat
5. Shaun of the Dead

Slightly surprised and disappointed no one else has mentioned Office Space. I always thought it would resonate with anyone who's ever worked in an office environment. So hilariously and depressingly recognisable.

Slightly surprised and disappointed no one else has mentioned Office Space. I always thought it would resonate with anyone who's ever worked in an office environment. So hilariously and depressingly recognisable.

"Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.”

Great film. I must admit that it slipped my mind as I haven’t seen it for so long.

It's brilliant. It was on my shortlist but I've just seen the other films I put on more often and they have more meaning. I've also never worked in an office. But yeah, it's amazing little movie.

Can’t believe the comedy films are getting diluted by shite romance movies.

It's a really weird combo.
Yeah I know but I have to find ways to group most of these together and with the amount of RomComs, it made sense. But based on the voting this round versus other rounds, it makes me think this was the correct decision because there ain't many votes with two genres here.

Feel the same will happen with Animation & Musicals.

Yeah I know but I have to find ways to group most of these together and with the amount of RomComs, it made sense. But based on the voting this round versus other rounds, it makes me think this was the correct decision because there ain't many votes with two genres here.

Feel the same will happen with Animation & Musicals.
I doubt any romances will get through at all. Romance and drama might've worked better but no solution would have been perfect. Categories are always artifical.

I doubt any romances will get through at all. Romance and drama might've worked better but no solution would have been perfect. Categories are always artifical.

Good. If things like No Country for Old Men and Taxi Driver aren't getting in, there isn't a romance movie ever made that can't feck off. :lol:

Good. If things like No Country for Old Men and Taxi Driver aren't getting in, there isn't a romance movie ever made that can't feck off. :lol:
Remember there a resurrection round for those that missed out and the KO round will filter out any that shouldn't have made it. The final 30 should be deserving films.