Film Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

1. The Apartment
2. The Great Dictator
3. The General
4. Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
5. Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Going for oldies here, if only to remind people that they exist I guess, cause those first three won't be making it through for sure. Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters would have been next on my list, and. Spinal Tap, The Big Lebowski, and Being John Malkovich would have been good calls as well. I loved Eternal Sunshine, but it's more for the Drama category in my view.

Oh, and New Kids Turbo of course!

1. Life of Brian
2. The Guard
3. Hot Tub Time Machine 2
4. Lost In Translation
5. About a Boy

1. Annie Hall
2. Withnail & I
3. Dr Strangelove
4. Playtime
5. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I think Romance and Comedy should be separated btw.

1) Airplane
2) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3) In Bruges
4) Blazing Saddles
5) Hot Fuzz

A lot of votes for In Bruges. If you liked that film then you would probably also really like The Guard (both starring Brendan Gleeson). I felt I could only put one of them on my list so just went with the lesser known of the two.

1. Ghostbusters
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Anchorman
5. The Nice Guys

Also, if you've never seen Airplane before you vote in this round, watch it first. :wenger:

I've never had so many "Oh, so that's where that line comes from" moments watching a film.

1. Liar Liar
2. In Bruges
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
4. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
5. Snatch

Anchorman, Stepbrothers, Airplane, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, Dumb and Dumber, There's Something About Mary, Happy Gilmore, Crazy Stupid Love, The Wolf of Wall Street, Zombieland, Adventureland, In the Loop, Four Lions, Hot Fuzz - need to leave out lots of favourites. Burn After Reading probably closest to getting in. Maybe.

Tropic Thunder and Scott Pilgrim are utterly terrible. As long as they don't get through I'll likely be happy with what does.

I thought The Departed was far superior to Infernal Affairs.

1. Liar Liar
2. In Bruges
4. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
5. Snatch

Anchorman, Stepbrothers, Airplane, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, Dumb and Dumber, There's Something About Mary, Happy Gilmore, Crazy Stupid Love, The Wolf of Wall Street, Zombieland, Adventureland, In the Loop, Four Lions, Hot Fuzz - need to leave out lots of favourites. Burn After Reading probably closest to getting in. Maybe.

Tropic Thunder and Scott Pilgrim are utterly terrible. As long as they don't get through I'll likely be happy with what does.

I don't think we would be friends in real life :lol:

Darn I missed the crime genre.

These two shouldn't be combined imo.

In the mood for love
Annie Hall
In Bruges
Dr. Strangelove
In the loop
A fish called Wanda

Last edited:
1. Groundhog Day
2. Monty Python - The Holy Grail
3. Caddyshack
4. Zoolander
5. Dr. Strangelove

honorable mention: Just Friends.

Last edited:
Has there been even one Daniel Day Lewis film through yet it'll probably change especially with drama and maybe other categories upcoming.

1. Naked Gun 2½
2. It Happened One Night
3. A Fish Called Wanda
4. Rush Hour 2
5. Meet The Parents

1. Groundhog Day
2. The Family Man
3. Lost in Translation
4. Amelie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain)
5. Back to the Future

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Four Lions
4. In Bruges
5. Anchorman

Small suggestion @Dirty Schwein

Lets make a bonus "free" round before the knock round. A lot of great movies will ultimately fail to make the cut. Whether of genre overlap or other reasons. This will give everybody an opportunity to partially correct difficult (or dumb) choices. Everybody would be able to nominate 5 movies regardless of genre.

Small suggestion @Dirty Schwein

Lets make a bonus "free" round before the knock round. A lot of great movies will ultimately fail to make the cut. Whether of genre overlap or other reasons. This will give everybody an opportunity to partially correct difficult (or dumb) choices. Everybody would be able to nominate 5 movies regardless of genre.
Let me think about it. Thanks for the suggestion. I need to figure out how it feeds into the rest of the contest but it's something I've thought about myself too and trying to work it in.

Let me think about it. Thanks for the suggestion. I need to figure out how it feeds into the rest of the contest but it's something I've thought about myself too and trying to work it in.

Maybe a 'best of the rest' vote? Take 2 or 3 movies that missed out in each round and let us rank them? Top 3 go through or something.

1. Liar Liar
2. In Bruges
4. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
5. Snatch

Wow. There's posts that can be likened to car crashes, and then there's this.

1. Caddyshack
  2. Dazed and Confused
  3. In Bruges
  4. Big Lebowski
  5. Karate Kid

Last edited:
Maybe a 'best of the rest' vote? Take 2 or 3 movies that missed out in each round and let us rank them? Top 3 go through or something.

Agreed. I think this is a great idea.

Used to love Anchorman but I don't think it's aged very well.

1. Groundhog Day
2. Monty Python - The Holy Grail
3. Caddyshack
4. Zoolander
5. Dr. Strangelove

My favorite list so far, barring my own. All of these make it into my Top 10 but I had to cut a few.