Gaming FC 25 (Fifa 25)

My kids play this, and there's a mode where you get extra goals for scoring and your players run dead fast. Pointless shite.

Just make it good. Are E-Football anywhere near doing a Master League or what?

That 5v5 mode looks ace but I can't help feel it's because the gameplay is already chaotic as feck and suits a smaller, rushed pitch

I'm here waiting for 2K to save us from the is EA shite. They aren't perfect but they do make great NBA games. First time since 08 I've not bought fifa and I don't miss it one bit. Unless they do some proper changes to Manager Mode or Clubs. I ain't buying it.

My kids play this, and there's a mode where you get extra goals for scoring and your players run dead fast. Pointless shite.

Those modes are what gaming is all about, they're a bit of a laugh and make it mental.

I'm all for the proper footy aspect, but those side games are great

FC24 was the worst game in the serious for me based on the end to end game it portrayed. I hated how punishing the defending was and how it contributed to the amount of chances you create as well as concede, I hope they reverse this.

Just seen an article saying UFL is free to play this weekend, shame I'm away or would have given it a go. Supposedly the passing is a lot more manual than fifa, but they are aware of needing to fix the GKs, before full release.

The lack of a really high quality game for this sport is infuriating. I've hated FIFA since it started going down the Ultimate Team route and when they started to neglect the offline modes. Biggest sport on the planet and we're treated to this reheated garbage. Nobody seems to be driven or dedicated towards making a really high quality football game. I'd love it if we had some other studio come out of leftfield and give us a game, even if it is unofficial and doesn't contain any authentic teams or names. I just want the gameplay.

They seem to have stopped caring about it as a single player. There were people saying that the 2025 version would finally have ML but all the marketing is still all about the myclub or players of the week or whatever that shit is. It’s a shame because PES was genuinely good as a video game and miles ahead of FIFA as a football sim.

They seem to have stopped caring about it as a single player. There were people saying that the 2025 version would finally have ML but all the marketing is still all about the myclub or players of the week or whatever that shit is. It’s a shame because PES was genuinely good as a video game and miles ahead of FIFA as a football sim.

Which is a frankly baffling approach.

They could make a decent career mode (which they used to excel at) and not even bother with online features, and they'd sell loads of copies to the many, many people utterly fed up with EA not caring about the single player experience of their game.

Instead they've decided to try and go head to head with Ultimate Team, a battle they're never going to win.

I used to play FIFA up until about 20 or 21. But with each iteration around that time, it just became more and more arcadey. I just wanted a relatively true to life type football sim, where I could play through tournaments or leagues, whether online or offline, and not only have the hands on game play but also be able to tactically set up smartly.

But then it just started to become more and more about skill moves, incessant, insane dribbling, defenders became impossible to control, except for people who played constantly. For regular people, who you know….have a job, kids, life, other interests, it became impossible to pick the game up and have a good game online without feeling like some ten year old somewhere is about to dribble through your back line, past four players, as your defenders go careening off in random directions. Goals you just never see in real life.

And then there was the intro of all the UT stuff, and passes and all that bollocks. I never understood it. I just wanted a good football sim, not some arcadey preposterous super goals skill fest. There was one version, can’t remember which, around 20 or 21, when most online games would finish 6-5, or 7-6, 5-5, or some shit like that, and I just thought “What’s the fecking point?, this is nothing like actual football at all.” And I gave up and haven’t played it in 4 years or so.

Still waiting for someone to produce a grown up football sim, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen as everything these days is targeted towards the younger audience. And kids today have their qualities, but they aren’t notable for their attention span or appreciation of nuance. They want instant, brief, and intense reward and stimulation. They don’t want tightly fought tactical battles where strategy and patience are more important than individual skill. I have no interest in posting some outrageous skill move I did, on whatever 15 second social media platform that is prevalent today, I want the reward of manipulating my opponent and controlling play over a 10-15 minute match and having a controlled 2-0 win with some flowing team play, and supreme defensive acumen. You know, grown up, real world representations of football as it really is; not as our kids might wish it to be in fecking Narnia.

Last edited:
Yeah as much as I loved early editions of UT it gradually got more and more ridiculous. I think it was FIFA11 or so when the top cards were hard to come by until late in the cycle and it was actually a grind, to make a good team.

Nowadays by the time it gets to the end of September people have icons and insane 90+ teams. It breaks the engine and is why I'm convinced most people say it plays like a full arcade sim. They have never figured out how to balance those crazy 90 rated players with your league 2 and conference level players. So in order to make the bottom leagues not just guys falling over each other the top players are capable of super human stuff.

I used to play FIFA up until about 20 or 21. But with each iteration around that time, it just became more and more arcadey. I just wanted a relatively true to life type football sim, where I could play through tournaments or leagues, whether online or offline, and not only have the hands on game play but also be able to tactically set up smartly.

But then it just started to become more and more about skill moves, incessant, insane dribbling, defenders became impossible to control, except for people who played constantly. For regular people, who you know….have a job, kids, life, other interests, it became impossible to pick the game up and have a good game online without feeling like some ten year old somewhere is about to dribble through your back line, past four players, as your defenders go careening off in random directions. Goals you just never see in real life.

And then there was the intro of all the UT stuff, and passes and all that bollocks. I never understood it. I just wanted a good football sim, not some arcadey preposterous super goals skill fest. There was one version, can’t remember which, around 20 or 21, when most online games would finish 6-5, or 7-6, 5-5, or some shit like that, and I just thought “What’s the fecking point?, this is nothing like actual football at all.” And I gave up and haven’t played it in 4 years or so.

Still waiting for someone to produce a grown up football sim, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen as everything these days is targeted towards the younger audience. And kids today have their qualities, but they aren’t notable for their attention span or appreciation of nuance. They want instant, brief, and intense reward and stimulation. They don’t want tightly fought tactical battles where strategy and patience are more important than individual skill. I have no interest in posting some outrageous skill move I did, on whatever 15 second social media platform that is prevalent today, I want the reward of manipulating my opponent and controlling play over a 10-15 minute match and having a controlled 2-0 win with some flowing team play, and supreme defensive acumen. You know, grown up, real world representations of football as it really is; not as our kids might wish it to be in fecking Narnia.

Your experience is very similar to mine and what you want is pretty much what I want, too. I can't remember which iteration of FIFA it was exactly, but it was somewhere around the 15-17 era. It might have been 17. I played a full season as AC Milan and ended up winning Serie A on the last day down to goal difference, beating out Inter (of all teams). That felt really dramatic and realistic, as did the games throughout the season. It had the right balance of being realistic and fun. I didn't need to spend hours on there at a time either, just a few casual games in the evening after work or whenever I had a spare moment. It was the last FIFA that I actually bought, if I remember right. From casually playing the others, it just seems like Ultimate Team took over or really got a hold, and the single player experience gradually became worse and worse.

I'm hopeful that someone will come along and give us something different, because the gap in the market is fecking huge for this. There are no quality football games anymore. The difficulty will be when it comes down to licensing, so it may be that we have to compromise that as a trade off. Honestly, I would take that. I just want a modern and higher quality standard of football gameplay.

Your experience is very similar to mine and what you want is pretty much what I want, too. I can't remember which iteration of FIFA it was exactly, but it was somewhere around the 15-17 era. It might have been 17. I played a full season as AC Milan and ended up winning Serie A on the last day down to goal difference, beating out Inter (of all teams). That felt really dramatic and realistic, as did the games throughout the season. It had the right balance of being realistic and fun. I didn't need to spend hours on there at a time either, just a few casual games in the evening after work or whenever I had a spare moment. It was the last FIFA that I actually bought, if I remember right. From casually playing the others, it just seems like Ultimate Team took over or really got a hold, and the single player experience gradually became worse and worse.

I'm hopeful that someone will come along and give us something different, because the gap in the market is fecking huge for this. There are no quality football games anymore. The difficulty will be when it comes down to licensing, so it may be that we have to compromise that as a trade off. Honestly, I would take that. I just want a modern and higher quality standard of football gameplay.
Completely agreed. For me too it peaked around that same period. And I could pick the game up casually at whatever intervals and play competitively, and enjoy it. It was a flawed but ultimately fairly decent simulation of football, with the technology available at that time. But since then it’s been downhill and now reached the point of a caricature of football.

I would happily take a realistic simulation experience, with a more grown up and manageable sense of gameplay for casual users, without any licensing.

Give this a watch. PES 2021 had a good offline mode, and combined with these brilliant mods, you can play with very accurate replications of specific stadium cameras for every team, plus a host of mods that give a well balanced simulation.

Give this a watch. PES 2021 had a good offline mode, and combined with these brilliant mods, you can play with very accurate replications of specific stadium cameras for every team, plus a host of mods that give a well balanced simulation.

Wow that almost looks like RL. PES at its best is really so much more satisfying than FIFA ever has been..

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. That looks exactly like what I want.

What are the offline modes like?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. That looks exactly like what I want.

What are the offline modes like?

Not massively deep. Just enough to really enjoy and have a good long career mode. Obviously the mod is going to give you authentic visuals and presentations etc, but coupled with the gameplay and cameras, it's a fresh experience.

Not massively deep. Just enough to really enjoy and have a good long career mode. Obviously the mod is going to give you authentic visuals and presentations etc, but coupled with the gameplay and cameras, it's a fresh experience.

Looks like you're unable to purchase PES2021 anymore. On PC anyway. :(

Looks like you're unable to purchase PES2021 anymore. On PC anyway. :(

There's a project called Football Life (or something like that) based on PES 2021 but I'm not sure you actually need the game. Apologies if that's shite information.

If Konami remastered PES6 and released it they'd make so much money.

Leave everything as it was, but make it look realistic and it'd fly off the shelves.

Literally all they need to do is fiddle with the pace/speed settings and remove the thing where defenders automatically start walking like crabs when near an opposition player, and it'll instantly be a vastly improved game and also won't have a broken single player mode.

The fact this is beyond them tells you how much effort goes into the rest of it. Really wish Konami would sort their shit out

If Konami remastered PES6 and released it they'd make so much money.

Leave everything as it was, but make it look realistic and it'd fly off the shelves.

I think I probably spent more time playing football than fifa this year, and that's a pile of garbage. I'd they added a master league and proper single player for it though as a paid for add on, it'd sell more than enough, because it's competing against nothing.

I tried the euro mode on FIFA and it's not that the game is bad. It's just broken. The defenders move too slowly to stop the attackers so the most effective tactic is run in a straight line

Didn’t get the last one and won’t buy this one I don’t think. Maybe if it comes up cheap next year or something. Bought every FIFA up until that point but the game is dead for me.

I do get the occasional urge to play a career mode and it’s a shame there’s nothing to scratch that itch but I don’t miss it too much.

I think I probably spent more time playing football than fifa this year, and that's a pile of garbage. I'd they added a master league and proper single player for it though as a paid for add on, it'd sell more than enough, because it's competing against nothing.

I tried the euro mode on FIFA and it's not that the game is bad. It's just broken. The defenders move too slowly to stop the attackers so the most effective tactic is run in a straight line
I tried playing FIFA 23 last month. Just a single game against the AI. Didn’t even make half time because of how much it pissed me off.

Every single counter attack you are running at a flat back 4 who are never out of position. It’s so dull.

Me and a mate used to have a PES6 Master League we played together as ourselves (created players). We then stopped and picked it up again in FIFA 17 after I got divorced and he did and we had loads of free time, we played that for a couple of years and then it just went shit, so we stopped.

Literally all they need to do is fiddle with the pace/speed settings and remove the thing where defenders automatically start walking like crabs when near an opposition player, and it'll instantly be a vastly improved game and also won't have a broken single player mode.

The fact this is beyond them tells you how much effort goes into the rest of it. Really wish Konami would sort their shit out
The speed issues are hilarious. Defenders just randomly crawl. Fixing that would not make it a good game just not horrible. I think FIFA is the only game where playing it actually pisses me off (which is rare / when I’m possessed by demons).

Yearly PES6 gameplay and ML still better and totally playable post

I just play football life which is a modded PES 2021. It's not perfect (the AI on harder difficulties is awfully annoying) but it's leagues better than FIFA. The work that the guy who updates every year puts in(he's Palestinian so this might be the last year he does it) for free is more than the whole of EA Devs put into career mode

The speed issues are hilarious. Defenders just randomly crawl. Fixing that would not make it a good game just not horrible. I think FIFA is the only game where playing it actually pisses me off (which is rare / when I’m possessed by demons).

I tried playing FIFA 23 last month. Just a single game against the AI. Didn’t even make half time because of how much it pissed me off.

Every single counter attack you are running at a flat back 4 who are never out of position. It’s so dull.

I've resorted to spending ages fiddling with the sliders to try and make it better, and all the weird options that I'm not sure what they mean ("legacy defending" etc.). You can put the CPU players speed and acceleration down massively and keep yours up, but it still doesn't fix the problem as the game automatically disengages your defenders from being able to run if an attacker is running at them with the ball, and they will never position themselves in accordance with the opponent, only in accordance with their position. There's literally nothing you can do about it...and vice versa it will do the same with its defenders when you have the ball. So if you bring he CPU settings down it becomes pointlessly easy even on the hardest difficulty.

I don't think fixing this makes it a good game but it might at least make it playable. The AI still feels like its on the PS2 and every single team is a clone of the other, which doesn't help.

And I can't stand the multiplayer. Its interesting for about 2 games but it bares so little resemblance to how actual football games look and pan out that there's no appeal for me whatsoever. People seem more obsessed with x player's rating being 2 points too low than they do with whether he would actually rainbow flick the ball over his head and 360 spin around the entire opposition defence before body flipping the ball over the keeper.

All I want is a decent career mode. I haven't played any of the recent games but I'm assuming stats in career mode still don't carry over to a new season? The fact that I can't lookup my players all time goals scored is absolutely ridiculous.

The only thing that could be decent is Pro Clubs in rush mode. Used to be so irritating when we'd all play on here but we'd have AI CBs and a dumbass GK.

All I want is a decent career mode. I haven't played any of the recent games but I'm assuming stats in career mode still don't carry over to a new season? The fact that I can't lookup my players all time goals scored is absolutely ridiculous.

Nope and nope.

You can't even see a list of your club's all time top scorers on FM. I don't know why football games are so averse to this.

Didn’t Fifa promise a new game after this EA FC nonsense? What has happened to that?

Apparently 2K games are making it now.

It was always going to be far too short a timeframe for them get one pumped out alongside EA FC 24.