Fantasy Premier League 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Might well do. They've looked a bit wishy washy themselves but let's be honest we've been pretty awful this season so far. People are possibly overreacting to the Forest game where they sat back for 80 mins after going 2-0 up early doors. Rashford seems to blow hot and cold whereas Bruno seems more consistent.
I agree. Which is why I'm aboard the Bruno bus, having seen feck all on the Rashford rail. But, you know, we know he'll blow hot this week. Cause it's been that kind of year

Spark

Came crashing back down to earth this week. Was top 50k after first two weeks, top of all but a couple leagues, condescendingly telling people after week two that “it’s a marathon not a sprint” while smirking etc…

fecking 35 points this week, absolute travesty. Now want to wildcard.

Tibs

Shit start for me this season...tempted to leave it as it is now until after internationals.

Anustart89

Want to get Sterling in for Mitoma but would have to do a -4 since I already have three Chelsea. Annoying.

paulscholes18

Came crashing back down to earth this week. Was top 50k after first two weeks, top of all but a couple leagues, condescendingly telling people after week two that “it’s a marathon not a sprint” while smirking etc…

fecking 35 points this week, absolute travesty. Now want to wildcard.
If you do a mock WC and see how many changes there is from your current team.

Ady87

Didn’t get Udogie off the bench which is annoying. Would you do Sterling (Chelsea triple up), Maddison, Bowen or Diaz for Martinelli?

Onana (Turner)
Chilwell Estup Gvardiol (Udogie Baldock)
Saka Martinelli Bruno Rash Foden
Haaland Jackson (Archer)

Suv666

Ederson
Estupian Chilwell Saliba
Martinelli Saka Bruno Maddison Sterling
Haaland Jackson

What do y’all think? Not sold on Martinelli and feels like I’m betting too hard on Chelsea and Arsenal

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ended up on a green arrow finallly.

Team going into GW4 (after transfers)

Johnstone (Turner)
Gvardiol, Chillwell, Estupinan (Botman, Baldock)
Saka, Bruno, Foden, Sterling, Mbeumo
Haaland (C), Jackson (Watkins)

I'm leaning on benching Watkins right now. Thoughs on that?

troylocker

Didn’t get Udogie off the bench which is annoying. Would you do Sterling (Chelsea triple up), Maddison, Bowen or Diaz for Martinelli?

Onana (Turner)
Haaland Jackson (Archer)
Maddison seems to be the obvious choice now. Everything looks to go through him, nailed on minutes, nice fixtures and no Europe.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Really not sure on which one to sell between Mitoma and Martinelli. Any advice?
I think you stick with Martinelli. He will be a better asset with Jesus back and was unlucky not to score in the last game even with the restricted movement.

Arsenal have the issue with Arteta messing around, but they have the players. Brighton can’t possibly be as good with a Milner/Gilmour midfield.

Brighton have Newcastle, United, away to Villa and Liverpool in next 5 and I don’t think they will do as well as people think.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm giving myself a benching headache with this wildcard. Here's where I currently am

Leno / Areola
Chilwell Estu Udogie Andersen Walker
Sterling Maddison Foden Saka Bruno
Haaland Jackson Antonio

Probably bench Bruno this week and Antonio the week after. Might also have a £4m defender as not sure I need Andersen sitting there with those others.

And yes I'm back on the Pep wagon.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Pickford Areola
Chilwell Estu Henry Gvardiol Kabore
Saka Salah March Eze Richarlison
Wissa Haaland Mubama

Team looks ripe for WC now rather than after the intnl break.
Agree?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Pickford Areola
Chilwell Estu Henry Gvardiol Kabore
Saka Salah March Eze Richarlison
Wissa Haaland Mubama

Team looks ripe for WC now rather than after the intnl break.
Agree?
That actually looks ok to me for the weekend especially if you can bring in Maddison or Sterling with a FT.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm very happy with my performance so far, leading in all my mini leagues (though only 185 points so far and ranked around 500k, but I don't pay much attention to OR) and not making any dumb early moves like I would have always done. The plan for this season is to really not change the core of the team at all, and not make transfers I don't really need to make (especially chasing prices).

Currently having a team of:

Onana Turner
Chilwell Estupinan Gusto Udogie Beyer
Rashford Bruno Saka Martinelli Mitoma
Watkins Haaland Mubama

Still 0.6m in the bank.

The bolded are my core players whom I do not plan to move unless they pick up injuries (not expecting any of them to lose spots, though if that happens they'll also go). Calendar / form does not matter as I consider most of them fixture proof, and form can easily turn in a moment. They will also start for me every single week unless injured, even if it's City away.

So I will try to restrict my squad building to both GKs, the defence, and 3 forward spots. Martinelli/Mitoma will probably be the next one to go, after international break.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I am keeping Gabriel for another week but brought Gusto for Baldock to have another option. I cannot really convince myself to invest in defence currently when there are virtually no solid options, Estupinan and Chilwell I already own.

I will need to get rid of both Bruno and Rashford (in that order) after Nottingham game, that will be priority number one.

I'm very happy with my performance so far, leading in all my mini leagues (though only 185 points so far and ranked around 500k, but I don't pay much attention to OR) and not making any dumb early moves like I would have always done. The plan for this season is to really not change the core of the team at all, and not make transfers I don't really need to make (especially chasing prices).

Currently having a team of:

Onana Turner
Chilwell Estupinan Gusto Udogie Beyer
Rashford Bruno Saka Martinelli Mitoma
Watkins Haaland Mubama

Still 0.6m in the bank.

The bolded are my core players whom I do not plan to move unless they pick up injuries (not expecting any of them to lose spots, though if that happens they'll also go). Calendar / form does not matter as I consider most of them fixture proof, and form can easily turn in a moment. They will also start for me every single week unless injured, even if it's City away.

So I will try to restrict my squad building to both GKs, the defence, and 3 forward spots. Martinelli/Mitoma will probably be the next one to go, after international break.
Proof that FPL comes at you fast. :lol: Amazing how one game can change perceptions.

Sarni

Proof that FPL comes at you fast. :lol: Amazing how one game can change perceptions.
Indeed. :lol:

I just figured they are both quite cheap, don't really block anyone, and end of the day United will score 55-60 goals this year, out of which they will be involved in more than half. We are also shambles defensively so will have to somehow offset it offensively. Onana, on the other hand, will probably need to go soon.

Skills

Snitch
Pickford - Turner
Gusto - Chillwell - Udogie - Estu - Botman
Mbuemo - Saka - Fernandes - Mitoma - Sterling
Haaland - Watkins - Pedro

Not really how i feel.

I want to get rid of Pedro & Pickford. And i also want some Newcastle assets.

Already made my transfers this week - Sterling in for Richarlison, Udogie in for Gabriel

Sarni

Why are people still so big on Onana?
I'm not. He will go soon, just need to address other issues first.

Not many good goalkeepers though. Thinking of just going with Ederson and having him as another core player for all of the season. I expect City to be very solid defensively this year.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Indeed. :lol:

I just figured they are both quite cheap, don't really block anyone, and end of the day United will score 55-60 goals this year, out of which they will be involved in more than half. We are also shambles defensively so will have to somehow offset it offensively. Onana, on the other hand, will probably need to go soon.
Yeah they will definitely end up our two top points scorers. For me I want to catch them at the right time so I won't rule out removing them and right now we don't look quite right to me (will get Bruno in though) Like I said earlier I think that Forest game was an outlier as Forest just sat back for 80+ mins. I saw a position map for it on Reddit earlier and every single outfield player on our team had an average position inside the Forest half. Mental.

troylocker

I'm giving myself a benching headache with this wildcard. Here's where I currently am

Leno / Areola
Chilwell Estu Udogie Andersen Walker
Sterling Maddison Foden Saka Bruno
Haaland Jackson Antonio

Probably bench Bruno this week and Antonio the week after. Might also have a £4m defender as not sure I need Andersen sitting there with those others.

And yes I'm back on the Pep wagon.
Just out of curiosity:
How did you end up with Antonio in your team?

We have 8 seasons of history on him in the PL and he's 33 years old...
In 231 games in the PL he's blanked 132 times (57%), he's had single returns 84 times (36%), double returns 12 times (5%), tripple returns twice (0,8%) and 4 once (0,4%). (Yes I know he's not allways been a forward, so...)
Last season he played 33 games, blanked 25 times and had single returns 8 times.
This season he's scored twice from 0,91 xG (he has a long history of underperforming vs. xG, so this is probably not a sustainable scoringrate for him) and he's produced 0,16xA, averaging 0,36 xG+A per game.
In his FPL history Antonio has averaged 3,93 points/game and 0,31 bonuspoints/game.
He doesn't get cleansheet bonuses and he gets less points for per return because he's a forward.

Bruno:
In 127 games in the PL he's blanked 70 times (55%) (mind he plays in the midfield), he's had single returns 41 times (32%), double returns 11 times (9%) and tripple returns 5 times (4%).
Last season he played 37 games, blanked 22 times, had single returns 15 times and double returns once.
He's averaged 0,35xG and 0,35xA over 4 seasons in the PL, so far this season he's averaged 1,23 xG+A per game.
In his FPL history Bruno has averaged 5,54 points/game and 0,75 bonuspoints/game.
Bruno returned against Arsenal in both matches last season.

Luton's played Brighton and Chelsea away so far, I expect them to be at least a little bit better at home vs. a team that hates to dominate games (West Ham has averaged 27% possession in their first 3 games). West Ham thrives went they can sit back and go full throttle on the counters. Just like Bournemouth, Luton won't dominate them and give them many counters and Antonio had 0 shots vs. them.

Even with the given fixtures you can't bench Bruno over Antonio. Well, you can, but it will be wrong a lot more often than it will be right.

Moby

Dick
Just out of curiosity:
@CassiusClaymore letting the romantic in him getting the better of him and going back to those three wet gameweeks at the start of the season 2 or 3 seasons ago.

Luton's played Brighton and Chelsea away so far, I expect them to be at least a little bit better at home vs. a team that hates to dominate games (West Ham has averaged 27% possession in their first 3 games). West Ham thrives went they can sit back and go full throttle on the counters. Just like Bournemouth, Luton won't dominate them and give them many counters and Antonio had 0 shots vs. them.
I think Luton being at home and trying to attack more will play into the Hammers hands. Luton left an absolute highway to run into for Chelsea forwards in a game where they would have gone to be on the defensive, now if they go on the attack WHU can use their rapid counter attacking line to run behind those acres of spaces. I won't be surprised if Bowen goes off the way Sterling did in this game.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Just out of curiosity:

We have 8 seasons of history on him in the PL and he's 33 years old...
In 231 games in the PL he's blanked 132 times (57%), he's had single returns 84 times (36%), double returns 12 times (5%), tripple returns twice (0,8%) and 4 once (0,4%). (Yes I know he's not allways been a forward, so...)
Last season he played 33 games, blanked 25 times and had single returns 8 times.
This season he's scored twice from 0,91 xG (he has a long history of underperforming vs. xG, so this is probably not a sustainable scoringrate for him) and he's produced 0,16xA, averaging 0,36 xG+A per game.
In his FPL history Antonio has averaged 3,93 points/game and 0,31 bonuspoints/game.
He doesn't get cleansheet bonuses and he gets less points for per return because he's a forward.

Bruno:
In 127 games in the PL he's blanked 70 times (55%) (mind he plays in the midfield), he's had single returns 41 times (32%), double returns 11 times (9%) and tripple returns 5 times (4%).
Last season he played 37 games, blanked 22 times, had single returns 15 times and double returns once.
He's averaged 0,35xG and 0,35xA over 4 seasons in the PL, so far this season he's averaged 1,23 xG+A per game.
In his FPL history Bruno has averaged 5,54 points/game and 0,75 bonuspoints/game.
Bruno returned against Arsenal in both matches last season.

Even with the given fixtures you can't bench Bruno over Antonio. Well, you can, but it will be wrong a lot more often than it will be right.
Literally a 1 week punt. It was either him or Bowen but I thought I might as well get Bruno in now. You think Luton will sit back in their first home game? I'm not so sure about that. I also remember Antonio smashing 4 against a bottom side a couple of seasons back and he's off to a great start this season. I don't expect to keep him after the International break. Did you see his goal against Brighton btw? He looks in unplayable form at the moment. Form + Fixture = ?

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I think you stick with Martinelli. He will be a better asset with Jesus back and was unlucky not to score in the last game even with the restricted movement.

Arsenal have the issue with Arteta messing around, but they have the players. Brighton can’t possibly be as good with a Milner/Gilmour midfield.

Brighton have Newcastle, United, away to Villa and Liverpool in next 5 and I don’t think they will do as well as people think.
How about taking a -4 and getting both Sterling and Maddison for those two?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
How about taking a -4 and getting both Sterling and Maddison for those two?
Personally, I would, just because of the fixtures you are getting over the next 6. Even if the others return, I think it’s worth it in the long term.

Forest, Bournemouth, Fulham (x2), Burnley (x2), Sheff Utd , Luton and they are key men for sides with big expectations and no Europe.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Pickford is killing me but surely Dyche effect has to come soon!?

Assuming there are no further injuries (wishful), I'll go with:

Pickford

Estu
Chilwell
Baldock

Rashford
Saka
Sterling
Diaz
Mitoma

Isak
Haaland (c)

I've still got Shaw on the bench in need of shifting, but opted for Sterling>Odegaard instead.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So looking at my WC team, I will 90% go ahead with this:

Ederson
Udogie, Estupinian, Chilwell
Saka, Maddison, Bruno, Mbeumo, Sterling
Haaland, Jackson

Subs: Areola, Trippier, Kabore, Archer

(£1.1 in the bank)

I can go in with this and I have no plans to do any transfers for at least the next 2 GW's (unless injuries etc).

So do I do that and leave myself with flexibility, especially due to international break upcoming? Or Take a punt on my WC and reverse that transfer next week?

Punts I have considered are:

Foden for Bruno (I know I know :lol:)
Bowen for Bruno
Gvardiol for Trippier (bench Estupinian vs. Newcastle)

MUFC OK

Onana (Turner)
Haaland Jackson (Archer)
Maddison for me and G2G. I'd start Udogie over Estu.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Ederson
Haaland, Jackson

(£1.1 in the bank)

I can go in with this and I have no plans to do any transfers for at least the next 2 GW's (unless injuries etc).

So do I do that and leave myself with flexibility, especially due to international break upcoming? Or Take a punt on my WC and reverse that transfer next week?

Bowen for Bruno
West Ham have got City, Liverpool, Newcastle in their next 5 games, so although the Luton and Sheffield Utd fixtures are tempting, now may not be the best time to go for him. Foden will get rotated too, I'd stick with Bruno.

Moby

Dick

Ederson
Haaland, Jackson

(£1.1 in the bank)

Bowen for Bruno
Rashford has 3 goals vs arsenal last season and Brighton are getting murdered down their right flank.

ShinjiNinja26

I notice everyone’s binning Salah off, any particular reason? Do folk think he’s off to Saudi Arabia or is it just because his returns haven’t been that great.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

Ederson
Haaland, Jackson

(£1.1 in the bank)

Bowen for Bruno
Take a punt! Take a punt! Take a punt!

I want to punt on a West Ham attacker so either Bowen or Antonio. I want 5 of these for my midfield...

Saka / Maddison / Sterling / Mbuemo / Bowen / Foden / Bruno

First 3 are locked so it's 1 or 2 from 4 depending on what formation I'm playing (most likely 3-5-2). If it's 3-5-2 then Jackson and Haaland are locked in to play.

Mbuemo - good short term fixtures, usually gets 90 but might need benching next week away at Newcastle. Good placeholder for Diaby until GW8/9.
Bowen - great fixture this week but tough ones against City and Liverpool after.
Foden - great fixture but always a rotation risk with him.
Bruno - 90 min man every game, talisman but I don't think we're anywhere near clicking at the moment so could well be a wait until we do.

But now I'm starting to wonder if 3 x Chelsea is overkill and who would I rather lose from Jackson and Sterling? Gah! Hate this. :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I notice everyone’s binning Salah off, any particular reason? Do folk think he’s off to Saudi Arabia or is it just because his returns haven’t been that great.
I mean he's ticking along but not worth the money when we're perma capping Haaland at the minute and players at £5m less than him are producing the same if not more. Saka + Maddison for example is still £1m cheaper than Salah + £4.5m bench fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.