Fantasy Premier League 21/22

coolredwine

lameredboots
Regarding the second free hit, I think changing the rules like this part way through the season somewhat undermines the game. In this case, at least the resources remain the same for everyone, and everyone’s planning right now is so far out of the window that this the best time to announce it. Personally I’m really not a fan though. It’s less rewarding doing longer term strategy, when someone might just decide to change the game.

More importantly, the bigger negative is that this undermines FPL forever more because there’s now a precedent for them changing the resources part way through the season. If we get a period of COVID disruption or a really harsh winter due to global warming, everyone will start second guessing whether they can be more aggressive with chips as more will be offered to players.

Weirdly I think this favours people defending a lead, although it is bound to excite those chasing.
They did something similar last time too though, when the league was suspended between March and June 2020, so not too different. Think it's better this way to give people one fallback option when the league is hit by unforeseen postponements. All long term plans were anyway went out of the window with games getting derailed past few weeks.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally the key benefit with the FH comes in the weeks around it. As in it lets you have a team that suits the weeks before/after the FH week without the FH week being impacted. Classic example being using it in a BGW when big hitters are out, so you get to keep your big hitters for all the surrounding GWs at no cost to how well you do in the BGW.

From that POV, what are you actually gaining by using the FH in GW22? You'll have a good team for that week obviously but does it suddenly make keeping the likes of Salah and Chelsea defenders a good move when they'll be missing for more games than just that one? I'm not quite seeing what it lets me do with my team in the surrounding weeks to make it the best approach.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Generally the key benefit with the FH comes in the weeks around it. As in it lets you have a team that suits the weeks before/after the FH week without the FH week being impacted. Classic example being using it in a BGW when big hitters are out, so you get to keep your big hitters for all the surrounding GWs at no cost to how well you do in the BGW.

From that POV, what are you actually gaining by using the FH in GW22? You'll have a good team for that week obviously but does it suddenly make keeping the likes of Salah and Chelsea defenders a good move when they'll be missing for more games than just that one? I'm not quite seeing what it lets me do with my team in the surrounding weeks to make it the best approach.
Yeah I'm thinking the same. I'm binning Salah and James GW21 anyway so no need to FH. Salah becomes Son and James becomes a United/Spurs defender. Jota and TAA you wanna keep really.

I think it will be useful to keep both for the second half of the season when you normally get a big blank and a big dgw due to the FA Cup. You normally have to shift your team about to plan for one or the other but now you can just Free Hit on both and not worry about messing up your team (unless you want to BB one of them...I don't because I've used it already).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
They did something similar last time too though, when the league was suspended between March and June 2020, so not too different. Think it's better this way to give people one fallback option when the league is hit by unforeseen postponements. All long term plans were anyway went out of the window with games getting derailed past few weeks.
It was quite a bit different two seasons ago. This season only a smattering of fixtures have been cancelled. Carrying a resilient squad into winner and planning around fixture postponements has always been part of fantasy football, although this has been at the extreme end of it. As much I can understand people’s frustrations and tuning out from the game, how does getting a bonus free hit really help?

Two seasons ago the season was postponed indefinitely, whilst the gameweeks still ticked by, in which people could make free transfers. The schedule then completely changed when the season resumed, even re-starting with a double gameweek for some teams. At that point nobody’s squad bore any resemblance to a squad that they would have picked to navigate the new schedule, so an unprecedented wildcard made real sense. I think they managed that as well as they could to bring the FPL season to a natural conclusion within the spirit of the original rules.

In contrast, I don’t see what they are trying to achieve by adding a second Free Hit chip now. If GW19 has only four fixtures go ahead, do we get a third Free Hit? What about if there is another COVID wave with a further variant causing mass-cancellations in March?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah I'm thinking the same. I'm binning Salah and James GW21 anyway so no need to FH. Salah becomes Son and James becomes a United/Spurs defender. Jota and TAA you wanna keep really.

I think it will be useful to keep both for the second half of the season when you normally get a big blank and a big dgw due to the FA Cup. You normally have to shift your team about to plan for one or the other but now you can just Free Hit on both and not worry about messing up your team (unless you want to BB one of them...I don't because I've used it already).
Even if someone is determined to BB in a DGW, I think the ideal (if their current team allows it) might be to build towards a BB22 with fts and then wildcard out of it in GW23. You could happily sell Salah before the Chelsea game, spread those funds around your squad and then wildcard him back in while emptying funds back out of your bench.

In fact thinking about it, the main benefit of the extra FH might generally be that you can wildcard earlier. With a FH available for the big blank and big DGW it should be easy to navigate any smaller blanks & DGWs with fts.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Even if someone is determined to BB in a DGW, I think the ideal (if their current team allows it) might be to build towards a BB22 with fts and then wildcard out of it in GW23. You could happily sell Salah before the Chelsea game, spread those funds around your squad and then wildcard him back in while emptying funds back out of your bench.

In fact thinking about it, the main benefit of the extra FH might generally be that you can wildcard earlier. With a FH available for the big blank and big DGW it should be easy to navigate any smaller blanks & DGWs with fts.
I don't really have a massive problem with my squad to want to wildcard early tbh, especially whilst this new Covid strain is peaking and the fixtures are congested.

All the strikers are wasters, Salah, Jota and Trent is template along with Cancelo and a Chelsea defender which leaves like 2/3 slots in midfield generally filled by rotating mid priced players and maybe the odd spin on Pep's roulette wheel.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As it stands I've actually got a strong 13 with actual decisions on who to bench!
But we'll see what the state of play is by Boxing day and see what games are actually on.

Ideal position is getting through without a transfer.

paulscholes18

I really want to roll my transfer, but with Antonio out means that Bowen will play upfront, and I want Bowen in my team.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Yep looks like a weekend to roll the transfer

Ramsdale
TAA James Cancelo
Son Salah Jota BSilva ESR
Watkins Dennis

ROFLUTION

I am going to wildcard 21 I think and then bench boost 22 possibly if Covid is under control. Then use the free hits on fututure doubles or blanks.

Without wildcard I can't really spread the Salah money.

Maybe it is better to wait out the storm though.
Covid under control in gw 21/22 seems very unrealistic imo. If cases in England are anything like Denmark then we are likely to see peak-covid in these 2 gw's exactly. (if covid-statisticians are to get it right). A wide squad might be ideal.. or a strong heavy hitter squad and then use the freehit in one of these gws if covid goes south

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I really want to roll my transfer, but with Antonio out means that Bowen will play upfront, and I want Bowen in my team.
Need to hear news of why Antonio was out tonight firstly.
I think they've rested him before like this. But it'd be classic Ant. Woeful run, promising run of games, then Norwich called off, then he gets injured!

paulscholes18

Need to hear news of why Antonio was out tonight firstly.
I think they've rested him before like this. But it'd be classic Ant. Woeful run, promising run of games, then Norwich called off, then he gets injured!
Read he has COVID.

Paul_Scholes18

Covid under control in gw 21/22 seems very unrealistic imo. If cases in England are anything like Denmark then we are likely to see peak-covid in these 2 gw's exactly. (if covid-statisticians are to get it right). A wide squad might be ideal.. or a strong heavy hitter squad and then use the freehit in one of these gws if covid goes south
OK yes maybe wait and free hit

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I know the answer is literally anyone but who do we think are viable options to replace Antonio with? Ideally I need someone about 6.5m or less but the options are horrible. Already have Lacazette and King, with Broja the only real one on my watchlist to bring in. That looks so meh though. Only planning on starting 1 in a 4-5-1/5-4-1

Paul_Scholes18

I know the answer is literally anyone but who do we think are viable options to replace Antonio with? Ideally I need someone about 6.5m or less but the options are horrible. Already have Lacazette and King, with Broja the only real one on my watchlist to bring in. That looks so meh though. Only planning on starting 1 in a 4-5-1/5-4-1
DCL is back with great fixtures and got double to come. Not sure how fit he will be though so huge risk.

Paul_Scholes18

What Everton assest are worth getting? Gray or Townsend feels like the best bets, but they have struggled the last 2 months.

A cheap defender would be nice to get, but Digne been so poor and hurt us already this season.

DCL got the ceiling and fixtures to reach last seasons form.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
What Everton assest are worth getting? Gray or Townsend feels like the best bets, but they have struggled the last 2 months.

A cheap defender would be nice to get, but Digne been so poor and hurt us already this season.

So poor he's been benched for the last 3 games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I had Townsend for about 7 weeks and he averaged 2 points a game.
Isn't he also out with a foot injury now?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Depends how many games he'll miss. If he misses 1 game, just hold.
If its 2 or even 3 then simply needs booting off.
Broja would trim the cash at least.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Antonio might be ok for Sunday. He's been positive since last week (apparently symptomless according to Moyes) and the rules are 7 days now so every chance he starts at the weekend.

As usual the best plan is just to wait and see. There will be training pictures or info from someone.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Moyes said Antonio tested positive "a week ago" so that sounds to me like he could actually be back next game.

Imagine the scenes on here for us Antonio keepers if Norwich has been on and he was just suddenly not playing then!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Antonio might be ok for Sunday. He's been positive since last week (apparently symptomless according to Moyes) and the rules are 7 days now so every chance he starts at the weekend.

As usual the best plan is just to wait and see. They'll be training pictures or info from someone.
Snap. Agreed, sounds much more positive now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Antonio is basically the new Lukaku for me at this point. They are my #1 and #2 all-time FPL trolls. Son rounds out the top three.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Antonio is basically the new Lukaku for me at this point. They are my #1 and #2 all-time FPL trolls. Son rounds out the top three.
Don't you dare make a list of FPL trolls and not include Callum Trollson and Aubamatroll. They are the O.G's.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Don't you dare make a list of FPL trolls and not include Callum Trollson and Aubamatroll. They are the O.G's.
Funny, isn't it? Wilson has always delivered for me within expectations. I'm sure plenty will say Son has done wonders for them too.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Wilson will always be an absolute Fpl G to me. Remember a few seasons back when he was returning from that long injury for Bournemouth and everyone had forgotten about him, I snapped him up and he rewarded me instantly with a hat trick.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bought Raphinha over Arsenal assets as I thought Arsenal vs Norwich was a bigger doubt... no luck so far with snow and COVID.

I'm already down Salah, Trent, Jota, Raphinha, King, Foster and possibly Dalot and Antonio.

Ramsdale
Cancelo(v) James Alonso Dalot*
Bowen Brownhill
Ronaldo(c) Antonio*

Deadline is at 15:00 so will 100% captain or vice at least one player then.

Will need to consider both free hitting, as well as taking hits. There's a lot of 15:00 kick-offs which makes hits attractive to bring Spurs players in. Son and Reguilon will probably both come in.

Dan_F

And so it begins. Either Jota or Raphina have to go at least for me, probably both.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Salah now facing: blank, lei, Che, AFCON.

With Ronaldo and Son in demand, there's probably an argument for selling sooner rather than later.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
So much for rolling that transfer.. I can field 10 which is OK. But Saint Maximin will get out of my team for once and for all.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Free hit then. Liverpool being called off was always the big worry. Most of us will have 3 from them. I've also got Sa, King and flags on Antonio and Tomiyasu.

Something like

De Gea
Cancelo James Tierney
Bowen Son Foden Matinelli Saka
Kane Ronaldo

is doable.

Last edited: