Facundo Pellistri (Out) | signed for Panathanikos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think they're about to sell their striker for decent cash, so I would hope around £10m.

That is extremely disappointing, if true. What is wrong with our players (even young, promising ones) that a player like Pellistri cannot do better than Greek league? Many of us believed him to be almost good enough for us, if Erik liked him and Amad didn't emerge, so how come even lower-half premiership teams or French teams don't want him?

We are not getting anything more than couple
peanuts for him, not from Panathinaikos. FFS

Should be commanding 10m for him in this market

22 years old with 20 odd caps for Uraguay would be a good edition for a lot of teams around Europe

Such a weird transfer. I would have expected 15m at least from a Spanish or Italian side, looking at other transfer around Europe this summer.

That is extremely disappointing, if true. What is wrong with our players (even young, promising ones) that a player like Pellistri cannot do better than Greek league? Many of us believed him to be almost good enough for us, if Erik liked him and Amad didn't emerge, so how come even lower-half premiership teams or French teams don't want him?

We are not getting anything more than couple
peanuts for him, not from Panathinaikos. FFS
I think a big part of selling a player is the selling club’s PR and general perception. We’re still currently in the doom of the Glazer era.

You would imagine (or hope) that in a year or two once we’re selling players who have been signed under/have been given new contracts under the INEOS best in class guys there’s a lot less convoluted mess to deal with in selling and we do it a bit better.

The Wan Bissaka deal having some sort of payout to give him because we extended by a year for instance, what the hell was that?

He’d fit in at so many teams like Leicester, Ipswich, even at championship level the likes of Leeds, Norwich that play attacking football. Surprised if it’s only a Greek team in for him

I think a big part of selling a player is the selling club’s PR and general perception. We’re still currently in the doom of the Glazer era.

You would imagine (or hope) that in a year or two once we’re selling players who have been signed under/have been given new contracts under the INEOS best in class guys there’s a lot less convoluted mess to deal with in selling and we do it a bit better.

The Wan Bissaka deal having some sort of payout to give him because we extended by a year for instance, what the hell was that?

There's probably some of that. Maybe also that all of good prospects actually go to the team to play minutes (Mainoo, Garnacho). There's no mystery to Pellistri. He's average to OK and he's not going to develop here. Sometimes in the transfer forum you read stuff like Ugarte and De Ligt being castoffs and damaged goods which is a little hyperbolic but that's the image our young players in the chopping block have, seemingly.

As you say, there's probably some mid to long term work to changing that image, choosing better loans for them to go to.

I really like him, but selling him makes sense as he's way down the pecking order.

Hopefully we have a good sell on clause inserted as I can see him at a big European club if he gets a good run of games somewhere

To be honest, I just don't think he's that good from what I've seen seen, and it seems like there not much of a market for him.

Get what you can, and maybe a sell on in the event, and move on.

I guess they just sell better players or players not on mega wages?

I’m referring more to fringe or academy players, similar types to Pellistri as he won’t be on mega wages. They always seem to get good money for them, in some cases they haven’t even kicked a ball in the prem before either. Hopefully with INEOS in charge now that will begin to change.

Yeah, agree with what you are saying, and the fees we are getting for our players is disgusting, but I was talking more about where he is going.

Even if we got the same amount of peanuts, you would hope that Pellistri would go to a much stronger league than Greece, for his own sake. No disrespect but that is a HUGE decline. He is Uruguay international, ffs and certainly good enough for lower EPL teams or Italy or France. I would fire my agent if I was him, for not getting anything better :)

He’s a regular for Uruguay

Surely we could get 10m for him & some addons
Athletic are reporting we are asking for 10 million Euros. I think we had signed him for something similar so would be a fair deal.

He’s a regular for Uruguay

Surely we could get 10m for him & some addons
One of the weirdest situations. Being a regular for Uruguay but can’t get a sniff at United

I think ensuring there’s a high sell on clause is the most likely thing. Chance he could end up going for big money after regular football

Think his actual talent has been romanticized because he’s young and we signed him. People just want to believe every kid we sign is destined for greatness.

One of the weirdest situations. Being a regular for Uruguay but can’t get a sniff at United

I think ensuring there’s a high sell on clause is the most likely thing. Chance he could end up going for big money after regular football

Being a regular for Uruguay isn't that big a deal - they have a small talent pool and punch well above their weight.

Saw some talk that the Panathinaikos denies this already. But not sure if true. We're not going to be begging much from a Greek team. Pellestri is such a weird case though. Never seems to do much at club level since he was in Uruguay. Pretty good record at international level though.

Last edited:
I like naturally right sided right footed players after loving Kanchelskis. Had hoped this guy would be explosive but he’s barely looked half decent. Definitely something there though, would want a decent fee.

Saw some talk that the PAOK denies this already. But not sure if true. We're not going to be begging much from a Greek team. Pellestri is such a weird case though. Never seems to do much at club level since he was in Uruguay. Pretty good record at international level though.

Panathinaikos is not PAOK, am I missing something ?

10 million euros/ 25 million buy back clause / 50 percent sell on clause (2 and 3 exclusive of each other) you tight bastards

He’s not good enough so sell and move on. We’ve got some talented academy players who can take the little minutes he would have had this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.