View full 2023-24 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been our glaring problem. No natural strikers or goal poachers with strikers anticipation and instinct.
Hopefully the new boy helps solve that problem, but we need another player of the same type In the squad.
You can’t blame Pellistri and Sancho if they’ve nobody to feed.

No but when they have had the chance to feed someone in, Sancho particularly, they've messed it up

Potential loan to Twente.

Really don't think that is the right move, want to see him in the Championship like Amad was

I think he's too good for a loan to the Eredivisie.

I also think he's too good for the Championship. He's more developed than Amad was when he went on loan last season and I reckon he'd instantly be one of the best few players in the division wherever he goes - he'd tear it up.

If you'd asked me during the Dortmund game which of he or Sancho in the first half had cost £70mil, I don't think it would have been obvious (albeit Sancho was overpriced to begin with).

He's at least as good as Elanga was, and Elanga will be playing in the PL next season for Forest. If a lower PL team won't be able to give him minutes then I think a loan to somewhere more like the level of a lower mid-table Bundesliga or Serie A club would be right for his ability and chances of playing time, as well as giving him a decent test.

If Twente (or any Euro/Championship club) are gonna start him every week then it's a good loan. The boy is a good player, as shown for Uruguay. He needs games. That's the most important thing.

Reactions: 711
We need to stop loaning out players to random, trash clubs without knowing the plan for our player. Pellistri has already wasted two years playing for an awful Alaves who barely have the ball and score like 15 goals a season. What is the point of loaning out an attacker to develop to a team that doesn't attack?

Twente plays attacking football, and a few years back (actually fourteen years, I'm getting old) they had a lot of success with Bryan Ruiz, the Costa Rican winger kind of similar to Pellistri. That was when Steve McClaren was Twente's coach actually.

He'll fit right in. Twente is not the strongest team in the Eredivisie, but they're up there, with an outside chance for the title if the stars allign. If Pellistri is the real deal he could have a great loan there.

Have to assume that Twente are stylistically similar to the way ETH wants to play so it will improve him for us. His agent was pushing a loan to Boca the other day which was concerning. The loans to Alaves were essentially the preferred options of the player and his camp and did nothing but set his development back a year so the club does need to take charge of the process and choose a loan that fits what we see as best for his development.

Any loan movement must guarantee start, if the clubs aren't willing to start him if he is not injure then they need to pay us a loan fee. As much as I want United to have young exciting but I am not convince that he will get his chances this season. I think Amad will probably given an opportunity to backup Antony so Pellestri's opportunity will be much less.

He needs to play football and show Europe everyone what he can do on a regular basis. Twente would be good for him, if he proofs too good for the Dutch league then great for all parties. We'll get a decent fee or reintegrate him, he'll finally play football and have multiple offers from clubs, and twente would have enjoyed his service. One thing is certain though he needs to be playing football regularly in 23/24.

Any loan movement must guarantee start, if the clubs aren't willing to start him if he is not injure then they need to pay us a loan fee. As much as I want United to have young exciting but I am not convince that he will get his chances this season. I think Amad will probably given an opportunity to backup Antony so Pellestri's opportunity will be much less.
No team will ever guarantee starts

Have to assume that Twente are stylistically similar to the way ETH wants to play so it will improve him for us. His agent was pushing a loan to Boca the other day which was concerning. The loans to Alaves were essentially the preferred options of the player and his camp and did nothing but set his development back a year so the club does need to take charge of the process and choose a loan that fits what we see as best for his development.

Agree with this. He really needs to get this right and get a year of first team football behind him.

He is good enough for a pl loan imo
Too risky, especially because he doesnt track back. Teams at the bottom of the premier league can't typically afford more than 1 forward who doesn't track back. So he'll likely not get many minutes. Better the top of the championship to an attacking team than the bottom of the premier league.

I really like him and wish he’d get a chance. Whenever he plays he looks lively and creative, certainly a step up from Sancho and more composed than Antony. He must not be as good in training or isn’t carrying out instructions to ETH’s liking or something. I reckon he’ll be one of those we eventually let go cheap and then he goes on to be a good player for another team.
Im sure he’s probably relatively annoyed with how his Utd career has gone so far, especially considering he gets minutes for Uruguay

I really like him and wish he’d get a chance. Whenever he plays he looks lively and creative, certainly a step up from Sancho and more composed than Antony. He must not be as good in training or isn’t carrying out instructions to ETH’s liking or something. I reckon he’ll be one of those we eventually let go cheap and then he goes on to be a good player for another team.
Im sure he’s probably relatively annoyed with how his Utd career has gone so far, especially considering he gets minutes for Uruguay

He can be annoyed but it is somewhat self inflcited. He had a poor loan for 6 months at Alaves when he first joined us which was underwhelming. The club wanted him to go on loan in the Championship the following year and it was his own choice to insist he wanted to stay with Alaves and that year was a complete waste. We are only culpable in so far as we should have told him that the decision on where to send him was not up to him.

We have a couple of issues with keeping him here. His end product is just not there with zero goals across 10 senior appearances for us and 35 in La Liga although that is mitigated by a lot of those being off the bench and Alaves just being an awful, awful team. He is also lacking in terms of the defensive side of his role.

He badly needs to start a lot of games next season at a team playing the sort of high press football ETH wants from his players and he is not going to get enough opportunities with Antony, Sancho, Amad et al in front of him. If he goes and tears it up at Twente and develops his game he can return next summer and maybe by then space in the squad opens up, most likely at that point we will be moving on from Sancho unless he really turns things around.

Really good game, looked dangerous. Good to see on the left in pre season as well as I think he's been played exclusively on the right prior.

Twente and the Eredivisie would be a great loan. He will get to play in an attacking system in a league that focuses on development. Twente tries to qualify for the Conference league and has to defend a 1-0 advantage to go through to the next round. Twente isnt the most high pressure club in the Netherlands but usually battle for European spots behind Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and AZ.

Twente sold their best player Cerny who played at the wing and Pellistri could very well take over Cerny his responsibilities. I think a year Eredivisie is better than relegation battle in the EPL or playing alongside some cloggers in a lower English league. Amad had a good loan but it could also be not so great loan like Hannibal his loan.

Not sure whether or not Twente and Eredivisie are a 'higher' standard than, say, Sunderland and the Championship, though obviously the very best teams in Holland are better than Championship sides...

Not sure whether or not Twente and Eredivisie are a 'higher' standard than, say, Sunderland and the Championship, though obviously the very best teams in Holland are better than Championship sides...
If you put Pellistri in Eredivise and make him play 80 games per season, being crucial player, getting a lot of assists and goals, refining his game especially in the final third, decision making, rising his fitness etc. By the time he might come back he would still be similar age as Gakpo or Antony. It isn't as bad place for loan as it may seem, not every loan ends up like Amad.

He needs to play as much as possible after his failed loans, where he's been frozen by manager only used as a back up seen not good enough.

If you put Pellistri in Eredivise and make him play 80 games per season, being crucial player, getting a lot of assists and goals, refining his game especially in the final third, decision making, rising his fitness etc. By the time he might come back he would still be similar age as Gakpo or Antony. It isn't as bad place for loan as it may seem, not every loan ends up like Amad.

He needs to play as much as possible after his failed loans, where he's been frozen by manager only used as a back up seen not good enough.
80 games? Better stock up on the endurance PEDS! I didn't realize Holland clearly had so many side competitions -puts our FA cup/League Cup /Europe fixture overload complaints to shame...

Too risky, especially because he doesnt track back.
He certainly does for the NT. He won't be flying into tackles, but is very positionally disciplined in defensive phases (unless instructed otherwise, obviously).

Without doing research on Twente’s manager, if the news is true, it means the loan is tailored for his development with the vision to integrate him to our squad next season. It would be great for him. He has so many potentials, and just needs to play regularly in a right system to learn and develop.

I wonder if Amad being 'out for the first part of the season' (our new motto) will impact on this.

I would have said yes, but then Forson came on before him, but that was probably with a view to him getting 90 minutes tomorrow, so back to who knows.

I don't really see Ten Hag loaning him and leaving us with 6 attackers for the long stretch that Amad is out, since Martial is one of them and he's always hurt.

If we played Wolves tomorrow, we'd start Garnacho-Rashford-Antony and Sancho is the only attacker who could come on, so we already look a bit short there, though seems likely Eriksen and Mount will play together at times off the bench with Mount on the left when there are injuries and suspensions. Everyone is down on Eriksen but I'd back him to change games off the bench more than I would Sancho at the moment, and we know Ten Hag is okay with using Bruno on the right.

So yeah, no idea really. I imagine it's up in the air at the moment and may depend on Hojlund's little injury issue or if Hugill gets a hat trick tomorrow.

Pellistri is good but come on man… a step up from Sancho?…even ETH disagrees as if it were true Sancho wouldn’t be the one playing . ETH is ruthless like Guardiola. You have to earn your minutes.

Pellistri is good but come on man… a step up from Sancho?…even ETH disagrees as if it were true Sancho wouldn’t be the one playing . ETH is ruthless like Guardiola. You have to earn your minutes.
He should be seeking a move he's yet to really assert himself anywhere since leaving penarol. If MG comes back that will be another option pushing him further down the pecking order.

Too risky, especially because he doesnt track back. Teams at the bottom of the premier league can't typically afford more than 1 forward who doesn't track back. So he'll likely not get many minutes. Better the top of the championship to an attacking team than the bottom of the premier league.
He needs to develop his game by learning to beat PL defenders, acclimating to the speed and intensity of the PL. We need to see him do it against the best. Amad tore it up last season but there is still a big question mark hanging over it about can he reproduce that form in the PL? I’d look to set him up with a PL side.

Once Hojland is up to speed, I would think Sancho’s minutes will be drastically reduced. There’s no room for him in this side. Rashford left, Hojland middle, Antony right. EtH probably remembers the Dortmund form. The false 9 experiment was interesting, maybe thats to be his role.

Last edited:
Well that’s what I’m saying. ETH does disagree because he must be doing something wrong in training or in tactical instruction on the pitch. I’m also saying in the time I have seen him on the pitch, he HAS been better than Sancho to my eyes. He has more impact and progresses our play better with his dribbles and composure.

He’s really exciting to watch because he’s so direct everytime he gets the ball. Antony could use some of his directness.

Final ball/productivity aside, he's just as direct as Garnacho. He's not going to get it but if he has an equal run in the team, he could be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.