Fabrizio Romano

I have much less issue with Romano spamming twitter with rewording transfer rumors than with the fact he's clearly being paid to rehab Greenwood image
I tend to agree, though it's been pretty obvious that he will take a cheque for pretty much anything. He is in a somewhat unique position as he's not a traditional journalist but lives on social media, so it's not like he has an employer paying his salary.

It's a business model that works for him and he is effectively a single source of truth for near enough every transfer.

Give me Ornstein over this chancer any day of the week.

His only concern is popping up in your social feeds as much as humanly possible, its why we constantly hear these non-updates seemingly every hour about our negotiations with Ugarte and the like being at 'VERY ADVANCED STAGE, PROGRESSING WELL'. The Greenwood and Chelsea PR is just the added cherry to the grift cake.

There are plenty of tier 1 reliable journos who convey updates when they're genuinely new breakthroughs. Being able to filter out his noise wouldn't make you any less privy to what's happening in the transfer world.

I tend to agree, though it's been pretty obvious that he will take a cheque for pretty much anything. He is in a somewhat unique position as he's not a traditional journalist but lives on social media, so it's not like he has an employer paying his salary.

It's a business model that works for him and he is effectively a single source of truth for near enough every transfer.
Yeah. Most likely, all of those pro sport journalist in some way getting financial gain from interest parties.

I don't know why people would think otherwise.

I just did, and in it you admitted searching his tweets for “Chelsea very happy” or whatever.

Why shouldn’t he take money from agents or whoever? The info is still good, and he’s a freelancer, not a public servant.
Is the info good? If Andrey Santos is training like shit, his agent uses Romano to hype him with PR for a few months and potentially as a result Santos gets another loan move shortly after despite probably not deserving it. It's a misrepresentation and inflation of assets. If he openly said he's spoken to the agent and the agent told him X Y Z then at least there's some transparency there.

That's fair enough - I think there should be a paid advertising-disclaimer on such by law like in Denmark. Don't get how all these influencers can get away with it. Fair enough if he takes money for it, but it should be disclaimed imo.

But on the point of him reporting actual transfers, I haven't seen a lot to say he's not credible in those. Both can be true.
Yep I've never denied he has excellent sources in places and his transfer news is more accurate than not. It's never been my issue with him.

I'd also add, my last point on this :lol: He is one of the biggest contributors to the over-saturation of transfer sagas. By the time a player signs these days there's no excitement about seeing the player in the kit because they've been photoshopped in it from the second they were linked, there's been a million updates with very little new info over those weeks and you're just generally a bit tired of the whole thing before it's even official.

And yes I could unfollow him but that would allow someone else to take my crown as biggest hater and I will not have that.

Yeah. Most likely, all of those pro sport journalist in some way getting financial gain from interest parties.

Makes it all the more impressive that Ornstein gets even better exclusives and doesn't even have to s.imp for that agent's clients for the next month in return.

I've always assumed the number of Tweets he posts about the same topic is both for engagement purposes and also to make it easier to hide his misfires.

If he got something wrong yesterday who is going to find it 168 Tweets down, buried on his timeline?

Is the info good? If Andrey Santos is training like shit, his agent uses Romano to hype him with PR for a few months and potentially as a result Santos gets another loan move shortly after despite probably not deserving it. It's a misrepresentation and inflation of assets. If he openly said he's spoken to the agent and the agent told him X Y Z then at least there's some transparency there.

To be fair, he went on loan to Strasbourg, who are owned by Clearlake.

I agree with you generally about Romano, but I think you're attributing a bit too much power to him here.

The gain journalists get from info is that they get to publish it, which enables them to write articles and tweets, which earns them money.

What Romano is doing is completely different (he does that too, of course, on top of his ad work).

Not that I care about a subreddit - but that does seem to cause some unrest among the comments. And I understand them. Overall he's reliable on transfers and the biggest around - sounds weird if we were all to not trust his transfer-tweets, because he might be a bit commercial with other stuff like Greenwood.
I think its more of an issue around his reliability and trustability. If he’s deleting tweets he got wrong, posting ‘exclusives’ that aren’t exclusives and soliciting clubs for news then he’s essentially sold out and unreliable. The unfortunate nature of his line of work is that once you outed as someone who is taking money to write favourable tweets about a club or player you can no longer be trusted.

The commercial stuff with Greenwood is the opposite of being reliable. That’s more than enough reason to cast doubt over his general reporting and an absolute no go for anyone even close to being a journalist. That’s not being a bit commercial. It’s proof that he lacks professional ethics and can’t be relied upon.
This makes no sense to me.

Whenever he says Here we go it’s measurable. You can easily over time check and tell if he’s credible and the transfer goes theough or not. A paid story about a footballer doesn’t make his transfer news with “here we go” non-measurable.

If/when he gets a lot of here we go’s wrong then fair enough, but the guy is the biggest out there - a tiny margin of error should be accepted.

This makes no sense to me.

Whenever he says Here we go it’s measurable. You can easily over time check and tell if he’s credible and the transfer goes theough or not. A paid story about a footballer doesn’t make his transfer news with “here we go” non-measurable.

If/when he gets a lot of here we go’s wrong then fair enough, but the guy is the biggest out there - a tiny margin of error should be accepted.
It is not an error. That’s the point. He purposely presents paid content as news, without labelling it as such. That’s not being wrong about something. That’s selling out. It’s about the worst thing a journalist could do. It casts doubt upon everything he reports. That is completely unacceptable.

And others have stated before, that he also deletes tweets that turn out wrong, without another comment. That’s also a complete no go for any journalist there is. Getting a story wrong is one thing. But refusing to set things right and correct one’s mistake is about the worst thing a journalist can do. It’s terribly unethical behaviour.
That shouldn’t be accepted by anyone. The fact that we even have to discuss this amazes me.

Not that I care about a subreddit - but that does seem to cause some unrest among the comments. And I understand them. Overall he's reliable on transfers and the biggest around - sounds weird if we were all to not trust his transfer-tweets, because he might be a bit commercial with other stuff like Greenwood.
I think it is a bit of emotional thing on reddit and over here. People who were quite obsessed with him and thought of him as a hero, may feel more hurt when he is taking money to put some tweets or is quoting journos without giving any credit.

People who have always seen him as a news aggregator kind of guy may not be much hurt.

But I do agree that his reliability gets lesser if he is taking money from agents and clubs to write good stuff for them. Unless he puts out a note saying it is a paid promotion.

It is not an error. That’s the point. He purposely presents paid content as news, without labelling it as such. That’s not being wrong about something. That’s selling out. It’s about the worst thing a journalist could do. It casts doubt upon everything he reports. That is completely unacceptable.

And others have stated before, that he also deletes tweets that turn out wrong, without another comment. That’s also a complete no go for any journalist there is. Getting a story wrong is one thing. But refusing to set things right and correct one’s mistake is about the worst thing a journalist can do. It’s terribly unethical behaviour.
That shouldn’t be accepted by anyone. The fact that we even have to discuss this amazes me.
How much has this happened though? Are we talking 1-2 times among a 3000 x Here we go's? Give me examples

Makes it all the more impressive that Ornstein gets even better exclusives and doesn't even have to s.imp for that agent's clients for the next month in return.

The gain journalists get from info is that they get to publish it, which enables them to write articles and tweets, which earns them money.

What Romano is doing is completely different (he does that too, of course, on top of his ad work).

I always get the impression that all these "top" sport journalists are the mouthpiece of agents or some Clubs, and in most cases they get paid by them. Especially the freelance ones, like Romano.

Probably it's just my defensive mechanism to never take their tweets seriously, but all for fun. Just like the Caf Transfer Threads.

But i agreed that these journalists still need to be accountable for shouting shits on public platform.

Ben Jacobs is another one. He's quite clearly on the Chelsea PR and has been for a while now. I think even the Chelsea fans acknowledge that one.

I just really think it lacks journalistic integrity but others might disagree.

Blatant Chelsea PR :lol:

Doesn't even feel like Chelsea spent 200m already, because they didn't get anyone good

Jacobs is even more smug looking Matterface. You couldn't mock up a pair of annoying looking pricks if you tried.

To be fair that’s quite a positive way of presenting Chelsea’s business for the window, is it not?

It’s very positive. It’s something I would post on the caf. I was just providing a clear example of @Solius point about him being a blatant mouthpiece for Clearlake.

To those who said he did nothing wrong when he posted his ”exclusives” after a smaller account had already published the news, it seems that Romano disagrees with you.

He once again first claimed that his Chido Obi news was exclusive, but has now edited his tweet and finally credited AS who’s been ahead of him in this ”saga” throughout.