Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Pros
  • He took a pay-cut to join Barcelona, we can offer a higher wage to his current one.
  • We can offer him more playing time than he currently gets, also we can play him in his preferred position.
  • His playing style seems more suited to England than Spain, he was more successful a player in the Premier League.
  • Barcelona need at least one quality defender, and need money to spend on one.
  • According to Moyes, we've no budget.
  • The Glazer family will want to bring in at least one marquee signing as a signal of intent.
Cons
  • He's a Barcelona fan, and has been quoted as recently as two weeks ago that he has no desire to leave.
  • He also has an affiliation to one of our domestic rivals, Arsenal.
  • Arsenal possibly have a first refusal clause.
  • Barcelona are unlikely to want to sell another midfielder having already lost Thiago.
  • £25 million is unlikely to be accepted.

gulli_G

Baines and cesc shows real interest, as straight away all the big outlets reported it, not just twitter rubbish like thiago, we were probably interested, but not the level as with cesc and baines

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
If he rejects us, this could be very embarrassing and shows us in a bad light.

Big risk this
Whats embarrassing about it though - that the story was leaked somehow (doesnt really matter) or that the bid might fail?

I'd rather we bid than not to bid for a great player. I've been bangin that line for sometime now regarding Vidal. Jump straight in & bid for a player & no fannyin around. I think its great that we know about this, atleast we've got some proper sources sayin so!

The Neviller

If he rejects us, this could be very embarrassing and shows us in a bad light.

Big risk this
Sure we're already in a bad light. Our own fans think we're run by amateurs and just stick in fake bids in the hope that we'll convince everyone we're a big club. We're also dismal at signing any player of any use or worth. And we have some Glaswegian no mark as our manager.

This further show of shite dismalness will change nothing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Yeah but if you look at it from another POV, both Cesc and Thiago reject us....It wouldn't exactly make us look good if you know what I mean
Thiago didn't reject us in a full meaning of the word, as Moyes is clearly more into established one like Cesc but I fully understand the concern, especially with the new man in charge, but You know what they say... No risk, no win.

Sooner or later we'll have to start generate good deals for the team's sake.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Yes we know that but it's been reported and everyone in the football world has read about it. Say for example, the two players are reported to have rejected us like this. So quickly after each other. It does put the club 's attraction in a bad light. And I could see a lot of other players thinking "Well why the feck would I join them then if others are rejecting them then?"

It's just a thought that came into my head. It's an interesting way of looking at things
No it doesn't and no where have I seen "Thiago rejects Manchester United". Also people don't think that way, money, future career development and success are all factors.

KiD MoYeS

I'd be amazed if Barcelona accepted the offer as it currently stands. We'll need to offer another £5 million at least, so that's not a point of concern for me in terms of embarrassment. The bid was obviously testing the waters.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There'd be nothing embarrassing about him rejecting us but if Barcelona accept a bid at some point, he'd be likely to make a move unless there's another side interested and he'd rather play for them (in this case it could be Arsenal who have the money to spend or Milan who have also been linked with him in the last few months). I cannot name a single player from the recent times who'd have a bid for him accepted and then stayed at the club.

That'sHernandez

They'd never won anything in their life, they came here to make a name for themselves. They'd probably look back on their career and say coming here was the highlight for them. Will Fabregas? I'm not so sure.
Both Rio and Rooney had made very big names for themselves before they joined United. I don't really see what you are saying here, the same could be said about RVP and coming to us and yet he is still very much an Arsenal person I'm guessing.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
There'd be nothing embarrassing about him rejecting us but if Barcelona accept a bid at some point, he'd be likely to make a move unless there's another side interested and he'd rather play for them (in this case it could be Arsenal who have the money to spend or Milan who have also been linked with him in the last few months). I cannot name a single player from the recent times who'd have a bid for him accepted and then stayed at the club.

I wonder if Moyes might be tempted to bid £30 million for Modric if the Fabregas deal doesn't happen. Madrid might be tempted to sell after buying Isco and that other Spanish chap for big bucks.

That'sHernandez

Malouda rotted in the reserves all season at Chelsea.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
That we have made a bid for Fabregas I do not doubt, given the pedigree of the sources which have run with the story. But I have never heard or read anything to the effect that Cesc wants to come to United or that Barca or looking to dump him.

There's also the matter of Arsenal having first rights to him, or something to that effect. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but it had been reported widely in the media when we were last in, allegedly, for Fabregas.

Would I love to have him on the squad? Absolutely. Is it actually going to happen. Probably not.

That'sHernandez

Can't see this happening. Probably just to keep the fans happy after missing out on Thiago.
:wenger: You seriously think we'd bid £25.9m on a player just to keep fans happy? And what happens if Barca accepted? It's not roulette, you know.

That'sHernandez

How does this keep the fans happy if it doesn't happen? In fact, the fans will be more upset having missed out on another midfield target.
It's ridiculous logic given how frugal the Glazers have proven to be. If they have made that sort of money available for one of our targets, it's because we want him. Not because we want to "keep fans happy".

Vasey20|13

Also lol at the idea of 'keeping the fans happy'. A few knob heads are questioning Moyes because a load of Twitter rumour doesn't come true, so we'll throw in a £25m bid for someone we don't want/can't get, to stop the revolt that isn't even happening.

Some absolutely retarded theories in this thread. We've bid for him because we want him.

Brightonian

They'd never won anything in their life, they came here to make a name for themselves. They'd probably look back on their career and say coming here was the highlight for them. Will Fabregas? I'm not so sure.
I agree with you in principle, I like the idea of being a club that either brings through youth players or buys young, up-and-coming talents who will only ever be remembered as Manchester United players.

But I just don't think it's a realistic approach any more, at least not if you want European success. Every big European club now brings in a constant stream of top players, many of whom are already established stars elsewhere. Even Barcelona, the supposed kings of building a team on academy players, probably buy more established talent than we do at the moment. Neymar, probably Thiago Silva, Song, Fabregas (Cantera, I know, but it's still £30mil for the best midfielder in the PL), Sanchez, Mascherano, Villa...

So I think the answer is that you have to get the occasional established star but try not to let that inhibit the development of young, promising purchases or academy players. It would make more sense for you to object to signing RVP - in a position where we were already strong, potentially obstructing the development of Hernandez and Welbeck - than Fabregas, for a position which so obviously and for so long has needed a decisive solution.

Vasey20|13

Eh, Barcelona sources have stated they know nothing of United's interest in Fabregas. :lol:
According to some radio station?

Cue the influx of people who wouldn't believe a bid reported by everyone and their mother, but will now say 'see' because of this report coming from unnamed sources.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Yeah he sure did - way back in June:

Irwin: Fabregas top target for United

June 9, 2013
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/211493.html
Former Manchester United defender Denis Irwin has claimed the club 'are going to move heaven and earth' in their bid to sign Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas this summer.

Arsenal are believed to have a first option to re-sign their former captain if he opts to quit the Primera Division champions and return to the Premier League, but Irwin suggests United are convinced they can win the race for the 26-year-old Spain international.

Irwin was among the first pundits to reveal United's interest in Arsenal striker Robin van Persie last year and now the respected former left-back, who still works as an ambassador at Old Trafford, has revealed that Fabregas is their latest top target.

"Cesc Fabregas has zoomed up Manchester United's transfer target list to the top position and the champions are going to move heaven and earth to get him," he told the Sunday Worldnewspaper.

"The Barcelona star wants out of the Nou Camp and United want him badly, so the deal should be done easily enough. Fabregas is just the sort of all-action midfield player United need if they are to make a run at next season's Champions League.

"Cesc won't be short of offers for I believe this is going to be a transfer season where eye-boggling amounts of money will be spent."

Irwin also predicted United will make a bid for Everton's Leighton Bainesand Southampton's Luke Shaw, while suggesting winger Nani and Patrice Evra will leave Old Trafford this summer as new boss David Moyes prepares to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Nani will go to Monaco and Patrice Evra may well return to the same club, from whom he joined United," Irwin added. "I've also heard a word that the new manager might have Luke Shaw at the top of his list. The teenage Southampton full-back is the latest in a long line of prodigies from that club's excellent youth system."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's been correct so far regarding the Baines & Fabregas bids... wish he had of included Ronnie & Bale in that though!
Irwin has so far been bang on with his comments, i hope the Nani one doesn't materialise.

As an ambassador i'm surprised he has revealed so much, and how would he know that Cesc wants out Barca...

JP77

High profile signings for in the last few years: RvP

High profiles signings against in the last few years: Sanchez, Lucas, Thiago, Nasri, Ozil, Sneijder. Probably more I've forgotten.

As good as De Gea, Kagawa, Hernandez and other signings have been, they are not high profile are they?

That makes no sense at all.

So Sanchez, Lucas and Thiago were all high profile signings while Kagawa, a guy that was arguably the best player in Bundesliga the season before, wasn't?

Sensational logic from you as per usual.

KiD MoYeS

According to some radio station?

Cue the influx of people who wouldn't believe a bid reported by everyone and their mother, but will now say 'see' because of this report coming from unnamed sources.
Well, I mean these sources probably have as much reliability as the ones claiming we made a bid in the first place.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Malouda rotted in the reserves all season at Chelsea.
That's because no one who'd match his wages would come up with a bid, Chelsea have a history of such players actually. Fabregas would have no trouble getting the same sort of money from United and surely he'd not be put in the reserves for a year if he refused to move, it'd just be strange to see a player refuse to move in spite of his club suggesting that he should by accepting a bid. Usually when you see a news about a bid being accepted you expect it to be followed by the player making a move soon.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I'm just waiting for the denials, i can just see the reports tomorrow morning rejecting us making any bids!

Status
Not open for further replies.