Explosions reported at Brussels airport.

I was wondering that too but I hope the timing is coincidental. It's frightening to think they could plan coordinated attacks on an airport and metro station in such a short time frame.

Just out of curiosity, where in Belgium are you located?
I live in Geel but study in Leuven so that's where I am right now.

Reports on the radio thar all schools in Brussels and Flanders are closed now as well, children need to stay inside for the moment. What a shit time to grow up in.

Education. Social Justice. Secularism. Liberal Values. Science.

The vast, vast majority of people come to Europe to embrace these things and take advantage of the liberal democracies we operate. Conservative Religious/ political ideologies fight back..as they lose their power it becomes more violent. Hate, however, as history has shown, doesn't win out.

Philosophy - not LVG's- is the answer. Without European Enlightenment , you wouldn't be where you are now. Without Islamic Enlightenment, non of these will come to fruition.

I'm not being pedantic here. Many of the terrorists are college graduates. The problem is you can have the science and education, but lack the enlightenment, the critical mind. And education and a critical mind don't necessarily go hand in hand in Arabian universities. As for religious studies, it's all dogmatic of course.

Is the reasoning for this to restrict communication? Because won't it just push them onto Whatsapp and the like (which they're probably using anyway)?
I'm assuming it's in case there's explosive devices potentially triggered by phone as in previous attacks. Just came through on e-mail from our director of communications as our head office is in Belgium and most of us are over there a couple of times a month so we're still doing a head count.

Is the reasoning for this to restrict communication? Because won't it just push them onto Whatsapp and the like (which they're probably using anyway)?
The networks are being pushed to capacity by so many people calling to find out if family and friends are ok. It's overloading.

They ask that people send texts, but don't make calls.

Telenet (a local cable/internet provider) has opened up their wireless network to everybody so that people could use whatsapp without contributing to network overload.

I very much doubt that they have turned off the mobile networks. I haven't seen that reported anywhere. They networks are just congested.

But if they did, Whatsapp wouldn't work unless it had some sort of signal. They could feasibly starve them of information. And that might prevent certain types of bombs from going off as well.

I live in Geel but study in Leuven so that's where I am right now.

Reports on the radio thar all schools in Brussels and Flanders are closed now as well, children need to stay inside for the moment. What a shit time to grow up in.
I agree, but let's not lose perspective and be too negative. Through modern history we have grown up with this type of thing - the IRA and ETA in Europe during the 70s, 80s and 90s, PLO, Red Army, etc etc

There's always disaffected people who try to create havoc and chaos.

In a way this is worse than world war 2. Back then if you saw a German or a Japanese person you knew they were the enemy. Now you don't know who is friend or foe. The enemy aren't storming the beaches, they are here, integrated into our societies, just waiting. Frightening times.

I don't enjoy travelling to London any more. There is always that thought at the back of my mind that someone sitting on that train/tube is going to try and blow everyone up.

And now the Police are taking down people with rucksacks at Gare du Nord......saying they are taking no risks:

media_xll_8509066.jpg

I think no risks is the correct approach. It's not a time to be worried about offending anyone, even if that could be seen as making the situation worse. Anyone innocent should accept it, particularly if they fit the bill unfortunately.

I'm assuming it's in case there's explosive devices potentially triggered by phone as in previous attacks. Just came through on e-mail from our director of communications as our head office is in Belgium and most of us are over there a couple of times a month so we're still doing a head count.

Fingers crossed they're all ok.

The networks are being pushed to capacity by so many people calling to find out if family and friends are ok. It's overloading.

They ask that people send texts, but don't make calls.

Telenet (a local cable/internet provider) has opened up their wireless network to everybody so that people could use whatsapp without contributing to network overload.

Makes sense that the networks would be overloaded. It was the way it was worded ('they have shut down') that made me think otherwise.

I very much doubt that they have turned off the mobile networks. I haven't seen that reported anywhere. They networks are just congested.

But if they did, Whatsapp wouldn't work unless it had some sort of signal. They could feasibly starve them of information. And that might prevent certain types of bombs from going off as well.

Whatsapp works with just WiFi doesn't it? And you can use it to call too. It would seem silly to push them onto there where they can't monitor anything, but that's probably not the case as above.

1124 - Reports of another explosion in Wetstraat (Rue de la Loi).......but this seems odd - Maalbeek station is on that street.

EDIT: The large near by park now being evacuated.....much further down the street towards the center.

I think no risks is the correct approach. It's not a time to be worried about offending anyone, even if that could be seen as making the situation worse. Anyone innocent should accept it, particularly if they fit the bill unfortunately.
I agree completely.

Ok, now they are saying it was a controlled explosion.

1124 - Reports of another explosion in Wetstraat (Rue de la Loi).......but this seems odd - Maalbeek station is on that street.

EDIT: The large near by park now being evacuated.....much further down the street towards the center.
It was a controlled explosion by the bomb squad. A shitty news site over here reported it as a new explosion without mentioning the bomb squad part. Poor stuff.

This is something we have to get used to. As deranged as it sounds.

Sky have just reported there were no fatalities at Maelbaek but multiple injuries. It's a miracle if that's true but great to hear.
Wonderful news.

I really, really hope the security forces are in complete control of the situation for the Euros. :(

Philosophy - not LVG's- is the answer. Without European Enlightenment , you wouldn't be where you are now. Without Islamic Enlightenment, non of these will come to fruition.

I'm not being pedantic here. Many of the terrorists are college graduates. The problem is you can have the science and education, but lack the enlightenment, the critical mind. And education and a critical mind don't necessarily go hand in hand in Arabian universities. As for religious studies, it's all dogmatic of course.
I wouldn't say its anything to do with having a critical mind. Man has been killing each other, enslaving each other and persecuting each other since the dawn of time.

What's changed in the last 65 years is:

- Rise of democracy. Democracies do not go to war with other democracies. It's bad for your ratings. However, these people do not believe or want a democracy.
- War between states being made impossible, due to nuclear weapons. These people are not represented by a state.
- End of war to gain resources, as it's cheaper on the open market. These people don't care about that.

How do we stop these feckers from blowing us up? I'm not sure. Give them a caliphate state to live in, and tell them to feck off?

They shut the regular mobile network down in London in 2005. It was to keep it uncongested for emergency communications, not to stop bombs or anything else sinister.

I think no risks is the correct approach. It's not a time to be worried about offending anyone, even if that could be seen as making the situation worse. Anyone innocent should accept it, particularly if they fit the bill unfortunately..

It's a important question that we all have to deal with. Before the Paris attacks, the authorities had been doing warnings and shutting things down all day. Should they have just shut down everything?

Again with this, there had been warnings.

They shut the regular mobile network down in London in 2005. It was to keep it uncongested for emergency communications, not to stop bombs or anything else sinister.
Ah, did not know that.

Ran out of words for these terrorists a long time ago. A cancer of the human race.

Maalbeek casualties revised down for the moment to 15.

After searching through the mess at Zaventem, the police have found a bag full of "weapons or explosives".

In a way this is worse than world war 2. Back then if you saw a German or a Japanese person you knew they were the enemy. Now you don't know who is friend or foe. The enemy aren't storming the beaches, they are here, integrated into our societies, just waiting. Frightening times.

I don't enjoy travelling to London any more. There is always that thought at the back of my mind that someone sitting on that train/tube is going to try and blow everyone up.
In a way that overlooks the 50 to 100 million casualties, sure its worse.

WARNING - NSFW - UNSETTLING IMAGE

Inside of the station airport:
<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
In a way that overlooks the 50 to 100 million casualties, sure its worse.

I didn't mean from that perspective ffs! I meant from the perspective of knowing your enemies!

Back then if you saw a German you knew he was the enemy. You can't do that now with Muslims can you?

The atrocities and scale of both world wars will hopefully never be repeated again but at least you knew who the fecking enemy was.

It's a important question that we all have to deal with. Before the Paris attacks, the authorities had been doing warnings and shutting things down all day. Should they have just shut down everything?

Again with this, there had been warnings.

I mean more in terms of who they stop and reasons why.

Ran out of words for these terrorists a long time ago. A cancer of the human race.

I see them as barely human. They're the only 'people' that once we have the information we want from them, I couldn't give a feck what happens so long as they suffer.

I see them as barely human. They're the only 'people' that once we have the information we want from them, I couldn't give a feck what happens so long as they suffer.

That last bit wont go down to well with the caf lefties

That last bit wont go down to well with the caf lefties
That won't go down well with any lefties. How dare you treat terrorists who cause atrocities badly? The 'sympathy' in such cases by lefties is selective though.

The west should do something to tackle terrorism, enough is enough
I'm not so sure much more can be done about such random terrorist attacks in the west. Either intelligence services get wind of plots, or sadly they don't. The fact that all European nationals have free movement through mainland euro borders makes terrorism pretty impossible to police.