Explosions reported at Brussels airport.

Apparently 6 suspects have been arrested in Brussels; apparently there's a presser is scheduled for this morning for more details.

The terrorist threat level was taken down from 4 (maximum) to 3.

Unrelated to that, French Interior Minister Caseneuve claims that French police foiled a plot; they arrested a suspect who is supposed to have been in the final stage of preparing another attack.

Personally, my honest opinion is that alot of the world's security services have narcissistic (for want of a better word) tendencies about their own abilities, and to be told information about subjects in their own countries that they may not know hurts them.
I fully agree with that. OTOH, as I wrote yesterday, there's a big problem with a lack of resources deployed to police, intelligence, justice system. Not just in Belgium.

It takes between 10 and 25 people to monitor 24/7 one single suspect. Depending on the source, Belgian alone has several hundred people who returned from terrorist camps in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan. That's not even taking those into account who are radicalized but not went to any of those camps.

That's just for Islamistic terror. Add to that the number of other radicalists (right- and left-wing) and people from organized crime etc and you can estimate how many people it would take to tackle just the monitoring part.

Such a hateful action at a time and place where everyone has peace on their minds. I just don't understand how anyone can do this. Awful awful awful.

lets all join hands and sing. it will give cnuts like her and her son easier targets , they won't have to work too hard. fecking animal. what sort of shit dropped out of that uterus?

Amazing. Puts to bed a lot of misconceptions, and is just very interesting.

Misconception: These attackers are from Islamic countries.

Misconception: The problem is these attackers are devout Muslims, and do not confirm to western ideals.

And so on and so on. It seems that the only people who were right about this are Muslims who have repeatedly said; "These people are not Muslim."

bullshit - all are born into islam they are Muslims , they never assimilate , so what's the difference if you never except Belgium or France or England as your home nation? the one exception is hiding behind the more liberal justice systems. then they become "citizens" and lawyer up. So they are not Muslims because of the committed crimes? LOL get real. liberal apologizing many traveled to and fro to syria to be trained for these actions. the only thing they are , are murderers. 1) they are islamic extremists and 2) they have plans to continue to murder.

A bit more background to the two arrests in Germany as reported by public radio stations and TV:

The one in Düsseldorf appears to be a precautionary measure. This man was arrested in Turkey around the same time as one of the Brussels suicide bombers and was detained to The Netherlands together with him. It's yet unclear if there is any other connection between the two.

The one in Gießen - which is north of Frankfurt - is pure coincidence. He was caught in a random police check and turned out to have a criminal record both in Italy and Germany. Italy had issued a decree that prohibited him to enter Italy again.
On his cell phone, police found the text messages as quoted in the BBC article above.

Amazing. Puts to bed a lot of misconceptions, and is just very interesting.

Misconception: These attackers are from Islamic countries.

Misconception: The problem is these attackers are devout Muslims, and do not confirm to western ideals.

And so on and so on. It seems that the only people who were right about this are Muslims who have repeatedly said; "These people are not Muslim."
No different from the Christians who don't act Christian Right?

bullshit - all are born into islam they are Muslims , they never assimilate , so what's the difference if you never except Belgium or France or England as your home nation? the one exception is hiding behind the more liberal justice systems. then they become "citizens" and lawyer up. So they are not Muslims because of the committed crimes? LOL get real. liberal apologizing many traveled to and fro to syria to be trained for these actions. the only thing they are , are murderers. 1) they are islamic extremists and 2) they have plans to continue to murder.

I was born into Catholicism but I'm not a Catholic because I neither practice it nor believe in its teachings. The same is true of this man - he's defined by his actions and they belie a man who is clearly not a devout Muslim. The more important thing is that he never accepted France (and its customs) as his own, became disenfranchised and disillusioned with the state of society he lived in and became vulnerable to radicalisation. That's undoubtedly one of the driving factors of the European attacks from within.

No different from the Christians who don't act Christian Right?

or Belgians that don't act Belgian.

I was born into Catholicism but I'm not a Catholic because I neither practice it nor believe in its teachings. The same is true of this man - he's defined by his actions and they belie a man who is clearly not a devout Muslim. The more important thing is that he never accepted France (and its customs) as his own, became disenfranchised and disillusioned with the state of society he lived in and became vulnerable to radicalisation. That's undoubtedly one of the driving factors of the European attacks from within.

same and same , none of these bombers or crazy christian groups are devout. but the are driven by that claim. the "doing god's work' bullshit.

I would be lying if I said I'm not a bit nervous about going to Paris end of April. Never felt like that before.

Some odd thoughts on here , lot of people worried about travelling to mainland Europe, are those of us who live here living in fear? This could happen anywhere in the UK in the USA or elsewhere , just need a couple of nutters and a few explosives.
Because of these terrorist actions people are worried about going to cities in Europe, which is understandable but ...

Let's just take one example , with half a mind on Euro 2016. Marseille, 1 million+ inhabitants, 20% Muslim population , 20,000 assaults of varying degrees in 2012 ie before the terror attacks, were people worried about travelling to Marseille before 2015?

Some odd thoughts on here , lot of people worried about travelling to mainland Europe, are those of us who live here living in fear? This could happen anywhere in the UK in the USA or elsewhere , just need a couple of nutters and a few explosives.
Because of these terrorist actions people are worried about going to cities in Europe, which is understandable but ...

Let's just take one example , with half a mind on Euro 2016. Marseille, 1 million+ inhabitants, 20% Muslim population , 20,000 assaults of varying degrees in 2012 ie before the terror attacks, were people worried about travelling to Marseille before 2015?
Not the slightest. Also my family, friends, mates, co-workers you name it aren't fearful.

same and same , none of these bombers or crazy christian groups are devout. but the are driven by that claim. the "doing god's work' bullshit.

I would be lying if I said I'm not a bit nervous about going to Paris end of April. Never felt like that before.

I agree that religion is being used as a tool to radicalise them but it's only one of many tools - I don't think it's particularly important in the grand scheme of things, personally.

lets all join hands and sing. it will give cnuts like her and her son easier targets , they won't have to work too hard. fecking animal. what sort of shit dropped out of that uterus?
Not sure what you mean by this post. Easier targets? Are you criticizing the idea that it was supposed to be a peaceful affair?

Not sure what you mean by this post. Easier targets? Are you criticizing the idea that it was supposed to be a peaceful affair?

more people in an area = more targets. do you think a peaceful affair will stop these animal from setting off a bomb?

Just wondering if you know if he is (and she too actually) already known for some possible terrorist activities, or you assume he will be one eventually, or was just being sarcastic in the first place.

I do fancy a good singalong, mind.

more people in an area = more targets. do you think a peaceful affair will stop these animal from setting off a bomb?
You were talking about the muslim woman with the flag. It was hateful but nowhere near a terrorist act. Let's not put her in the same sentence as terrorists, nor her hypothetical son we know nothing about.

You were talking about the muslim woman with the flag. It was hateful but nowhere near a terrorist act. Let's not put her in the same sentence as terrorists, nor her hypothetical son we know nothing about.

never said she was never said she had a son or anything just imagining what slid out of that pig. and gatherings will draw attacks. airports , sporting event , feel good circle jerks.

That lady seemed to have held [F] to respect the victims, looks like just the flag was some irritation for her. Can't be that bad, eh?

never said she was never said she had a son or anything just imagining what slid out of that pig. and gatherings will draw attacks. airports , sporting event , feel good circle jerks.
Actually you did say that, quite literally:
And yes, terrorists are more likely to attack crowded areas, well done to you for observing that and repeatedly stating it.

That flag was left there to pay respect to the victims.... and maybe one of the victims was Jewish.

It was a disgraceful act. She essentially tried to make a bogus political point out of a tragedy inflicted by her co-religionists.

Taking the piss, but on a stunningly new level.

It was a disgraceful act. She essentially tried to make a bogus political point out of a tragedy inflicted by her co-religionists.

Taking the piss, but on a stunningly new level.

Would you expect anything else?

Just came back from mainland europe today, massive police presence everywhere. When i landed at Birmingham there were feck all armed police present, id imagine a uk based attack could be amoung the almost inevitable next.

fecking hate this planet, why do people have to be cnuts.

Perhaps someone could start a new thread about the flag since it seems to be the most important issue of the day. The way that flag was severed must surely inspire a new cannibal corpse song. The textile fiber massacre or something.

I'm not in Europe so it's a little harder to keep track of the news - have any prominent Muslims (athletes for example) condemned the attacks or called for a stop to this?
I will never understand why this is expected or why this would make a difference.

There's quite a bit happening in Belgium that I haven't read about on the BBC:

A guy was shot by Police at a tram stop in Brussels yesterday after he refused to comply with police instructions. Apparently he tried using his 5 year old daughter as a human shield.

Of the 6 (or 9?) arrested in the aftermath, 3 have already been released.

A security worker at a nuclear power plant was found killed and his badge missing. The badge has obviously since been deactivated.

There has been a lot in the press in Belgium about their nuclear reactors being a target. Hopefully security all over Europe at these plants is stepped up. An attack on one of those could have unthinkable consequences.

There's quite a bit happening in Belgium that I haven't read about on the BBC:

A guy was shot by Police at a tram stop in Brussels yesterday after he refused to comply with police instructions. Apparently he tried using his 5 year old daughter as a human shield.

Of the 6 (or 9?) arrested in the aftermath, 3 have already been released.

A security worker at a nuclear power plant was found killed and his badge missing. The badge has obviously since been deactivated.

There has been a lot in the press in Belgium about their nuclear reactors being a target. Hopefully security all over Europe at these plants is stepped up. An attack on one of those could have unthinkable consequences.
I think BBC and SKY covered a lot of it yesterday (and today) on the telly though some details are reported differently. For example they didn't report an alleged death of a nuke popwer plant guy but that cameras where found that spied on the Director of the plant and some technicians, and that many badges were deactivated.

What I found very interesting that didn't get coverage in Germany but UK is that one of the Brussels terrorist's brother represents Belgium in their national taekwondo team. There was a very brief video with him; he's desperate and rightfully said 'you don't chose your family'.

Last edited: