Explosions at Boston Marathon

It's concerning they still don't know or aren't saying who they think is behind this.

I am extremely confident they know exactly who they are looking for. If they didn't they would have rough descriptions which would be getting churned out every 20 minutes by the news. The fact they dont suggests that they know exactly who is behind this but are trying not to spook them and encouraging them to resurface. They will be looking to trace this back as far as they can and keep their cards close to their chests.

Also at this stage its not really in the public interest to know whos behind it. speculation about who did it or why helps no one. Helping the families involved to grieve and move forwards will make a difference. I hope whoever is behind this is never named and remains a nobody for the rest of their lives.

I am extremely confident they know exactly who they are looking for. If they didn't they would have rough descriptions which would be getting churned out every 20 minutes by the news. The fact they dont suggests that they know exactly who is behind this but are trying not to spook them and encouraging them to resurface. They will be looking to trace this back as far as they can and keep their cards close to their chests.

Also at this stage its not really in the public interest to know whos behind it. speculation about who did it or why helps no one. Helping the families involved to grieve and move forwards will make a difference. I hope whoever is behind this is never named and remains a nobody for the rest of their lives.

Maybe but if they do not have a suspect then they can not get descriptions out.

At this point they may know who did it, they may have only a general description or they may not have much to go on at all.

What news do you expect? Though I sense he will now become a big part of all the conspiracy theories that will start up

The_Smoking_Man_%28X-Files%29.jpg

Maybe but if they do not have a suspect then they can not get descriptions out.

At this point they may know who did it, they may have only a general description or they may not have much to go on at all.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of how quickly they should have a suspect or an idea of who did it. They may have an idea, but it takes time to review all of the information, pictures, and video of what happened. There are likely thousands of personal videos and pictures to review, CCTV, media video/pictures.

The first place to look would clearly be CCTV cameras if there were any in the vicinity of the bombs.

Even working non-stop with hundreds of people, the FBI(and others) can't process all that information in such a small period of time. If they found something early on in their search, they'd then have to corroborate that through other sources to make sure, like CCTV as original source and then possibly other videos pictures to get a better image of the perpetrator.

I hope that they know, but it's not unrealistic that they don't know yet.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of how quickly they should have a suspect or an idea of who did it. They may have an idea, but it takes time to review all of the information, pictures, and video of what happened. There are likely thousands of personal videos and pictures to review, CCTV, media video/pictures.

The first place to look would clearly be CCTV cameras if there were any in the vicinity of the bombs.

Even working non-stop with hundreds of people, the FBI(and others) can't process all that information in such a small period of time. If they found something early on in their search, they'd then have to corroborate that through other sources to make sure, like CCTV as original source and then possibly other videos pictures to get a better image of the perpetrator.

I hope that they know, but it's not unrealistic that they don't know yet.

Too true

If they did know who it was and already have tabs on them it could be more useful to watch them for a bit anyway.

MarathonBombBeforeAndAfter2.jpg

A photo of what is possibly the bag containing the bomb which caused the second explosion.

I realize it's gory but there should be an un-blurred picture out there. I dont' really want to go looking for it though. The cowboy picture is still burned in my mind.

I am yet to see the cowboy picture. I know where to find it but I am not sure I have the stomach for it.

I am yet to see the cowboy picture. I know where to find it but I am not sure I have the stomach for it.

There are a few more that are perhaps even worse than that one. It must have been awful for the medics.

How come that bin right beside the bomb looks untouched? Would it not be damaged?

Not necessarily. Remember that these were crudely made, relatively small bombs. The blast probably bounced off the steel, causing even more damage to those near it.

On closer inspection, the fence directly behind the bin seems to be bent around it, suggesting that the blast came from behind the fence?

Very true. Also the fact that there's a bomb going off everyday in Iraq, and has been for 10 years solid now, people lose interest in the stories and they don't sell papers anymore. If they sold papers they would be in the news a lot more often.

It is, as you say, the reality that we only sympathise (well to a greater degree) with those we have similarities with.

Anyway, enough about that, I think there's a thread on it somewhere.

Sad times all round.

Reminds me of that Joker quote from The Dark Knight:
Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow a gangbanger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will get blown up, nobody panics. But when I say one little old mayor will die, everyone loses their minds!!

Most people would 'expect' that people died in Middle East given the state of things, but something happen where nobody expect it, then it sure would create more shock and reaction.

It's not weird. Happens me a lot too, except like you, when a kid's involved. Rough stuff.
Just heard today that one of our subcontractors lost a leg. He was with his family on vacation there and somehow drifted into the blast zone. Unlucky. He's retiring next month too.

I know its stupid to speculate and pointless to think it, but could you imagine if N.Korea had something to do with this?. It would definitely be world war 3 if that came true. Pretty scary really.

They wouldn't be stupid enough to do something like that surely?

it's the worst i've seen, thankfully.

There is one of the dead woman. Nothing left below the upper thighs except for a disconnected lower leg, the sole of her shoe is facing the same way as the top of her head. She must have taken the full blast. The other guy with lower legs missing was a bit behind her in the photo.

My wife and I always find terrorist stuff hard possibly because she had family murdered by terrorists.

I know its stupid to speculate and pointless to think it, but could you imagine if N.Korea had something to do with this?. It would definitely be world war 3 if that came true. Pretty scary really.

I get enough of this on Facebook, thanks.

It was just news sensationalism as usual.

My money's on domestic terrorism.

There is one of the dead woman. Nothing left below the upper thighs except for a disconnected lower leg, the sole of her shoe is facing the same way as the top of her head. She must have taken the full blast. The other guy with lower legs missing was a bit behind her in the photo.

Ive not seen that one. Poor girl

Must be terrible to be boarding planes or even generally being around Boston if you're of Asian ethnicity at the moment. Pretty ridiculous behaviour that frankly is the kind of thing that would radicalise someone.

At any rate if it was Al Qaeda they surely would have claimed it. A lot of the IRA bombings no one was ever found guilty for so its hardly a given they'll find someone either.

Where did you see that? From this tragedy or another?

Oh please stop it.

That backpack in the first picture seems more grey/white then black. Law enforcement is currently going through 1000's of pictures and video, takes time, but would not be surprised if they already have a number of pictures/videos they are following up on/giving extra scrutiny to.