EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose leaving the EU could help reduce immigration by virtue of the economy crashing...

@golden_blunder did also say travel, which is going to be of greater concern with voters. Remainders need to have done with their scaremongering, else they risk becoming the laughing stock that was our Prime Minister last night.

The likes of Spain have already come out and insinuated that there will be negative knock on effects for the 400,000 expats living there as well as potential travel restrictions

I believe there's more reason to sway on the side of caution on this issue than there is to take a massive gamble and balls up people's lives for decades

Micheal Gove currently on Sky news for the "In or Out" show if anyone is interested. He is doing a far better job then Cameron did yesterday so far.

CkDLfFJWUAANmVT.jpg

Heh, good one.

Do you have any basis for such a concern though, any evidence at all for why visa-free travel will be denied?We are contemplating our withdrawal from a voluntary political union, not a declaration of war.

The United Kingdom has agreements with non-European countries waiving the necessity for visas, and so does the European Union.

Travel sure, work not a chance. Brexiters want an Australian style points system to work in the UK. The EU won't accept anything less to allow Brits to go the other way

I like how you left out the positives. Nothing like looking at the whole picture.

On the contrary, i referenced them in my closing sentence. And it was you who seemingly needed to be provided with other reasons for Brexit.

But either way, we do not need a dubious political union to achieve those ends.

Hasn't he been cutting legal aid funding for the last 5 years?
Depends who you ask :wenger:

Such as his two predecessors during the period of 2010-2015 perhaps?

On the contrary, i referenced them in my closing sentence. And it was you who seemingly needed to be provided with other reasons for Brexit.

But either way, we do not need a dubious political union to achieve those ends.

That's the problem, you referenced it. Let's see some plans. Put forward some actual ideas. How are we going to be better off?

Are there actually any exciting reasons for us to come out? As in us, the people. Are we going to see any benefit as people?

Or is there much more potential for actually seeing a negative effect on us (again, as people, not 'us' as a country/gov)? Obviously this would be slowly, over time, and not seen immediately, and it's likely some will realise it but on the whole will just be accepted as per. Because that's what I can see happening.

If you look at the number of people who leave the UK or enter the UK as a percentage of all the people who live here, it has always struck me as a non issue either way. Yes I think if we are going to have 300'000 people net arriving each year we should be preparing for it in building enough extra houses and offset the impact on wages but I can't understand why its such a big deal.

Equally if you consider how often most people wait at a border crossing I don't understand how this is a major problem either.

Its like we are focussed on the tiny part of the impact of being in the EU rather than its impact on the 99% of the rest of our lives and that goes for both sides of the debate which is now a really a terrible and divisive debate all in all.

I don't either. I find it amusing that people put so much stock in the place their parents decided to have sex and that they had absolutely no choice in or ever did anything to obtain.

This is leach thinking though isn't it? Suck the blood and get what you want and then fall off and find find a better host.

Don't build anything, don't lay down roots and don't build a community which takes sacrifice and selflessness and involves valuing the future and having a stake in it.

The more people who think as you suggest here, who feck off to anywhere else the better the place they fecked off from will be.

This is leach thinking though isn't it? Suck the blood and get what you want and then fall off and find find a better host.

Don't build anything, don't lay down roots and don't build a community which takes sacrifice and selflessness and involves valuing the future and having a stake in it.

The more people who think as you suggest here, who feck off to anywhere else the better the place they fecked off from will be.

What are you talking about? I don't know if this agreeing with me or calling me out on something. If anything the leech thinking is the leavers, take all the benefits and things that the EU have done for us and then drop off to find something better because some people don't like immigration.

What are you talking about? I don't know if this agreeing with me or calling me out on something. If anything the leech thinking is the leavers, take all the benefits and things that the EU have done for us and then drop off to find something better because some people don't like immigration.

To be clear its calling you out, not all the people who want to vote remain just you.

"I find it amusing that people put so much stock in the place their parents decided to have sex and that they had absolutely no choice in or ever did anything to obtain." specifically this.

Personally I put a lot of stock in the place my parents lived even though I had no choice in the matter. I value their efforts to try to improve it and I am grateful they did and I feel a responsibility to the next generation to do likewise. I suppose that's the difference between us.

To be clear its calling you out, not all the people who want to vote remain just you.

"I find it amusing that people put so much stock in the place their parents decided to have sex and that they had absolutely no choice in or ever did anything to obtain." specifically this.

Personally I put a lot of stock in the place my parents lived even though I had no choice in the matter. I value their efforts to try to improve it and I am grateful they did and I feel a responsibility to the next generation to do likewise. I suppose that's the difference between us.

I'd be willing to bet that many immigrants have done as much, if not in some instances more to improve our country and the place your parents live than your actual parents did, even if they did an awful lot. The location you're born really doesn't mean anything. You did nothing to influence it, you did nothing to achieve it, it was complete pot luck. That was the point of my post which I think you missed. It doesn't mean you're better than anyone, it doesn't mean you deserve anything more than anyone else because that would categories human beings levels of importance. That's the point of those who don't care about immigration, it's factual that they contribute more than they take. They're as entitled to any NHS treatment as an English person who did absolutely nothing to be English and only is due to luck does. I genuinely find it amusing when people use something they had no choice in, did nothing to influence and completely lucked out on as if it somehow makes them better or more deserving than someone who wasn't as lucky. As if they worked hard to be English.

And you wish to do that by voting against their wishes?

Nice to see Brexit committing to more spending again today with money they won't have to spend.

I'd be willing to bet that many immigrants have done as much, if not in some instances more to improve our country and the place your parents live than your actual parents did, even if they did an awful lot. The location you're born really doesn't mean anything. You did nothing to influence it, you did nothing to achieve it, it was complete pot luck. That was the point of my post which I think you missed. It doesn't mean you're better than anyone, it doesn't mean you deserve anything more than anyone else because that would categories human beings levels of importance. That's the point of those who don't care about immigration, it's factual that they contribute more than they take. They're as entitled to any NHS treatment as an English person who did absolutely nothing to be English and only is due to luck does. I genuinely find it amusing when people use something they had no choice in, did nothing to influence and completely lucked out on as if it somehow makes them better or more deserving than someone who wasn't as lucky. As if they worked hard to be English.

Well done you made a whole list of points there which I didn't make, go on arguing them until you are blue in the face if you want but there isn't much point quoting me.

I haven't decided which way to vote yet but I'll let you know which way when I do, my father is voting leave so do you want me to follow his wishes?

I think you misunderstood. You said you 'feel a responsibility' to improve Britain for the next generation, but yet seem to be advocating voting to leave, in spite of the fact that 'the next generation' favours remaining.

I think you misunderstood. You said you 'feel a responsibility' to improve Britain for the next generation, but yet seem to be advocating voting to leave, in spite of the fact that 'the next generation' favours remaining.

And filming everything as it happens on their mobile phones, the idiots. :)

I guess if I come to think its in their best interests to vote leave then I'll be saving them from themselves as good parents often do.

Well done you made a whole list of points there which I didn't make, go on arguing them until you are blue in the face if you want but there isn't much point quoting me.

..... You're the one quoting me, when I was making that point. So yeah well done, you called me out on it so I will make those points.

The next generation probably favour remaining as the majority don't know enough of the information or bother to do any research. They rely on what television says and believe the lies spouted by mainstream media who support remain. So of course they would probably lean towards staying in. They haven't lived through the lies and propaganda for as long as older folk and haven't come to the realisation yet that the powers that be don't have their interests at heart, so will likely fall for the scare mongering and go with the status quo.

That being said, do the younger generation even favour remain to the degree we are lead to believe?

What did people think of that Soraya person in the EU debate with Cameron?

People seemed to love her but I thought she was the cringiest thing I had ever seen on TV. The tingly buttery smugness frothing throughout her entire body emanating so clearly on her face as she delivered that pre-conceived "waffling" line...

She was lucky to avoid a controller going straight for her.

I must concede that my most immediate concern is how it will affect the exchange rate of the pound against the dollar just a few days before I fly to Vegas.

I must concede that my most immediate concern is how it will affect the exchange rate of the pound against the dollar just a few days before I fly to Vegas.
Why not just get your dollars now then?

Because I don't know the answer to my question. In all likelihood, I will get my dollars before the 23rd though.

If the likelihood of a Remain vote stays as it is now then the pound should gradually strengthen as we approach the date, in anticipation of Remain, with a final slight rise when the result is announced. I would hang on for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.