Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we already have similar discussion... For me, imho, if he is more than 10 pts being leaders around Christmass he should go.

It isn't anymore how we are bad, yes we all know, but some starnads should be put at the place.

I think we should have been in that position.

Sadly we aren't and so if we were expecting that we should just sack him now (we should) as we won't be within 10 points of the leaders by Christmas.

We aren't going to sack him though so we at least need a base level which for Man Utd has to be top 4 and also significant, significant improvement in style of play.

Title challenge is very optimistic. We need much bigger squad turnaround to get there, probably takes 4-5 years from now before we can realistically expect ETH to mount a title challenge.

Yeah all he needs is about 1.5 billion, no one to ever for a second question why he isn't performing, acceptance that a league cup is basically as valuable as a champions league because a trophy is a trophy, Pep and Klopp as assistant managers and other teams to not be rude enough to have good seasons.

Trust the process.

Sounds like the excuses are starting to roll in already even before the season starts.

Sounds like the excuses are starting to roll in already even before the season starts.
He's on thin ice, mate. FA cup saved his job, which is fair enough.
But if we fail to meet top 4 this season, INEOS probably won't need to think twice

Hopefully another great manager in the making emerges this season and then, should shit hit the fan again, we've at least got an option we'll hopefully consider if needed.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy is waiting in the wings.

We are balls deep in Ten Haag now. We aren't going to pull out. Literally everyone and thier dog saw us have literally no midfield and most people said they can't see the style of play for 2 years. Yet everyone from Berada to the fans to Van Nistleroy to Ineos, everyone (most) has said heck yeah this is how we will beat City and be successful. This is how we want to play. This makes sense.
We are committed. 400-600 mill committed. Unless we get 6th downwards I don't see ETH going. Heck 5th/6th I can still see him staying. Depends on the excuses. More injuries to key players and he's golden.

Why should we lower our standards for this guy. Target has to be either 4th or winning the Europa League.

With this squad right now, its only a matter of time before he gets fired. I'd say December.

Stop using this as a General Chat Thread - Repeat Offenders will be warned New
I've deleted a few posts. There is a thread in the general to shitpost. This thread should be strictly about Ten Hag and his management. Anyone who keeps diverting from that will be warned.

If we see a big improvement in our football and a clear sense that we're going in the right direction then I'd be more lenient on not getting top 4 provided we go on more deep cup runs. But really we should be having a top 4 finish as the minimum.

I also hope he won't have to deal with as many injuries next season so that if we do continue to under-perform he won't be able to hide behind that excuse again.

No matter what that Guardian article said, 4th will be the mininum. We are Manchester United and if the performances will be improved top 4 should ab a given. If we dont succeed he will be replaced. I dont have any real faith in him, the fact he HAD to change his staff gives me some hope that his horrendous tactics will be changes. If not he wont survive.!

I'm hopeful, but I'd be lying if I said I expect to see a big improvement. I still want to believe, but I'll probably have to actually see things get better before I think we're back on the right track.

Although, surely we have to be better than last season, so on some level an improvement is almost guaranteed?

With this squad right now, its only a matter of time before he gets fired. I'd say December.
Yeah. He won't make it without reliable left backs in the squad and with old Casemiro as a DM. ETH is expected to qualify for UCL this season as a minimum to continue his job and I don't see it happening.

Should've been sacked, we are just delaying it a bit.

Yeah. He won't make it without reliable left backs in the squad and with old Casemiro as a DM. ETH is expected to qualify for UCL this season as a minimum to continue his job and I don't see it happening.

Should've been sacked, we are just delaying it a bit.
Yup. Even if we sign Ugarte this is a weak team, unless Höjlund and Rashford start to deliver. Top 4 will be very difficult. I do not trust ETH.

Let's be honest we shouldn't be outside of the top 4. Only City & Arsenal are better, even Liverpool isn't that good imo and now that Klopp is gone it will be clear for everyone to see that their team is mediocre at best.

We are going to pretend last season didn't exist because of the madness of the injury crisis, we should aim for top 3 at least nevermind 4th.

If we see a big improvement in our football and a clear sense that we're going in the right direction then I'd be more lenient on not getting top 4 provided we go on more deep cup runs. But really we should be having a top 4 finish as the minimum.

I also hope he won't have to deal with as many injuries next season so that if we do continue to under-perform he won't be able to hide behind that excuse again.

This is it for me. He needs to get us performing better so there's a reason to believe he's worth investing in.
A top 4 finish alone isn't necessarily enough proof. We've secured top 4, even top 2, finishes that come to ultimately mean nothing because the underlying performances aren't at the required level consistently enough.

He's won two trophies and there's still, rightly, questions over whether he's the right man.

If we finish top 4 but performances are on the same level as last year I'd sack him.
But if we finish 5th playing significantly better, with players showing a better attitude in general, I'd be more inclined to stick with him.

That's why finishing position shouldn't be the be all and end all.

I agree with the sentiment of no more excuses. I do think he was fecked by injuries but at the same time he needed to adjust to the players he had at his disposal, that didn't happen.

Injuries can happen in every season, to every team so he better start adjusting accordingly.

Every manager we've had has been held back by upper management of previous regimes, ETH is now in a better position than all of them. He better make it work - top 4 has to be the goal given where we are currently but moving forward top 4 should be requisite. We are Manchester United and it's time we start acting like it.

I personally think that taking the pressure of the manager externally is a smart move by the new owners. Instead of the same questions every week ie are you under fearing for your job? Relations with the owners? Instead hopefully the manager can fully focus on achieving the club goals without the constant drama from the press and negativity of last season.

Of course he is under pressure to succeed and if results don’t match the new ethos he will be fired. Maybe they just don’t see it as helpful to outright give the media a stick to beat with and also potentially release pressure which I think is a bigger issue at our club than people think.

With probably 7/8 teams challenging for top four and the poor state of the squad as of now, demanding top four as a minimum requirement is counterproductive. Let‘s see who we bring in before making demands like that.

Sacking a good manager because he missed out on top 4 with an incomplete squad is not ‚setting standards‘, but dumb management.

The standards that matter are being addressed I believe: recruit well, appoint staff that is best in class, uphold disciplinary standards, improve facilities etc.

It will take time to get rid of bloated contracts and over the hill players.

With probably 7/8 teams challenging for top four and the poor state of the squad as of now, demanding top four as a minimum requirement is counterproductive. Let‘s see who we bring in before making demands like that.

Sacking a good manager because he missed out on top 4 with an incomplete squad is not ‚setting standards‘, but dumb management.

The standards that matter are being addressed I believe: recruit well, appoint staff that is best in class, uphold disciplinary standards, improve facilities etc.

I agree. The most important point for me on the pitch this season will be if we can develop an attractive and effective style of play. If we do that but miss out on top 4 by a few points or something, that would be fine by me this year. Europa League will also be important.

If we are terrible again this season, calling Ten Hag a "good manager" is stupid and he'll rightfully be sacked.

As predicted a few months ago, top 6 with slightly improved performances next season will be perceived as a massive success and a reason to keep / extend the manager.

Goalposts keep shifting and standards keep lowering, unfortunately.

As predicted a few months ago, top 6 with slightly improved performances next season will be perceived as a massive success and a reason to keep / extend the manager.

Goalposts keep shifting and standards keep lowering, unfortunately.
That’s what worries me but yeah, many fans will find top6 a progress and always find excuses for EtH if he fails. I just hope the new owners show a bit more of a professional and ambitious eye

So far the only additions from last season are a new 18 year old CB and a backup CF.

Anyone expecting EtH to completely revolutionise United and turn them into a dominant possession based team should prepare themselves to be disappointed.

So far the only additions from last season are a new 18 year old CB and a backup CF.

Anyone expecting EtH to completely revolutionise United and turn them into a dominant possession based team should prepare themselves to be disappointed.
And these were direct replacements for Varane and Martial, are they upgrades? Time will tell, hopefully they'll at least be available more often than their predecessors.

We need to improve on the players we had last season, McT isn't going to get any better. We need him gone to upgrade as we do with a lot of positions. While we don't want to be lowballed, If we can get £25million maybe with a few add ons, we have to be selling. There is no way on earth that we improve with this guy in the side. A squad option, yes, however we need a first 11 before we can think about the squad.

If he manages to put a team together playing half decent football we'll make top four. I can't remember us being half decent and failing to make top four, the EPL isn't that tough, most year the team who makes 4th and sometimes 3rd are usually the least shit (not great) among an underperforming 4-6/7 teams.
I would like to see ETH succeed but if he's not making top four in his 3rd season he probably wouldn't be the manager to bring back glory to Manchester United.

"Incomplete squad". The excuses have started rolling in very quickly, haven't they? "Demands like that" were the bare minimum for every other manager before him. But somehow now all stars need to align for Manchester United to finish top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.