Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
EtH said he can't play Ajax style at ManUtd, I hope Wilcox and others sets the right expectations, sign players who suits the playing style. Now that ten hag is taking back seat we might see better suited players rather than just ten hag phone book.

Winrar

The 4-3 buried it for me. The 7-0 was a freak result which ultimately got Liverpool 3 points that they failed to capitalise on in their bid to get top 4. At least that's how I frame it in the WhatsApp group chats with my Liverpool supporting mates. Any reference they make to that game can now immediately be shut down with a gif of Amad.
This is just a cope. As flattering as the actual scoreline may have been for Liverpool, no way in hell anyone in their right mind would say we deserved anything out of that game, and all the deficiencies seen in that game were seen over and over last season.

7-0 was really a warning sign of how last season would pan out.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The cynic in me believes this was all for show and they never intended to get another manager.
Just selling this idea to the fanbase that they actually meant business when in reality, it's business as usual.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
As long as he is not completely in charge of the player signings, I'm sort of okay with this. Especially because of the lack of alternatives.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Right decisions been made. Now let’s make some quality signings!! Back him and he’ll deliver more trophies next season.

NLunited

Now my hope is that Ten Hag has found his tactics from the end of last season -

• Need for a False 9 with inverted forwards
  • A CDM that can drop in to a third CB at times (Amrabat was doing this)
  • Ten Hag letting Ineos know about the tactics and what he needs (a false 9/creative forward, a CDM that can drop to a 3rd CB at times, a new LB, a right footed CB etc)
  • INEOS buy the player that they think is best for Ten Hag tactics and not the manager himself
We going to get better boys!
Yes to the CDM, lb, cb. No to the false nine. The tactics of the last three games were about winning the FA cup final, nothing more. We will see them in big games only.

saivet

A little disappointed in the news as ultimately I have no confidence in the man. I think a contract extension is the right move though, even if only to sort out the contractual terms and to show a perception that they are backing the manager. Having such a long post season review and talking to so many managers undermines his position as manager to fans, staff and players if he stays without a new contract. It would effectively look like we are keeping you but we want to sack you at the earliest opportunity (or let you go next season).

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

Yes to the CDM, lb, cb. No to the false nine. The tactics of the last three games were about winning the FA cup final, nothing more. We will see them in big games only.
I don't think we will buy a False 9 because we have both Fernandes and even Sancho depending on how well he gets on with ETH. The only other option is Zirkzee in the transfer market.

We will probably be buying a more creative forward in the mould of Kane - Toney is probably the one or Solanke depending on how creative they are. Martial has gone and he needs to be directly replaced like for like. Not a striker in the mould of Osimhen etc.

Since Kane was supposedly our main transfer targer last year, i think we will be looking at someone like him who can hold on to the ball and bring inverted forwards in to play whilst also being massive goalscorers themselves.

The only problem is that i think Arsenal will be looking for the same type of striker as us since they have False 9 covered by Havertz and probably need to replace Jesus with a creative ST aswell.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

The cynic in me believes this was all for show and they never intended to get another manager.
Just selling this idea to the fanbase that they actually meant business when in reality, it's business as usual.
I stopped caring about setup and structures, having DoF and all, no denying Ashworth's experience here but I now only care about performances on the pitch and results, Ashworth, Barrada & Wilcox might be world class in football operations and whatnot, and INEOS deciding to keep EtH might have come from an objective review, all of that do not concern me going forward, all I will see is performances and results, so let's see what happens.

DJ_21

I don't think we will buy a False 9 because we have both Fernandes and even Sancho depending on how well he gets on with ETH. The only other option is Zirkzee in the transfer market.

We will probably be buying a more creative forward in the mould of Kane - Toney is probably the one or Solanke depending on how creative they are. Martial has gone and he needs to be directly replaced like for like. Not a striker in the mould of Osimhen etc.
It’s true that we played our best football when using Martial as a F9. But I still think we need a proper goalscorer or we sign a creative winger. ETH usually has a proper number 9. We should be signing a creative winger. That will help us as Højlund is someone that gets in the box quite a lot but we have wingers that like to cut in and shoot rather than create so that doesn’t help the ST at all.

redNATION

- Finish 8th
- Finish bottom of the Champions League group
- Negative goal difference
- Most defeats in a season in half a century
- 7-0
- Spending a fortune on Antony and Mount.

Damn, I wish I could be rewarded like this for failing at my job.

I suspect part of the reason is that there’s no standout candidate but I really can’t see ten Haag being a success here, it’s clear he doesn’t understand how English football works given his tactical naivety. At the very least he can’t be in charge of transfers.

Last edited:

The Hilton

Personally I'm pleased he's staying on, as I think there's a lot of potential in the team he's putting together.

It doesn't hurt that the alternatives were mostly rubbish, Tuchel was the standout and he's been really poor at Bayern.

saivet

I have always thought the Southgate stuff was nonsense and it was a clear non-starter for this summer. Southgate publicly stated that he wouldn't go into any discussions until after the Euros.

Again, I don't see it happening but for all those relieved that we don't have Southgate, I actually think, ETH is staying is the scenario where we are most likely to see him as our manager.

Southgate in the summer was never going to happen nor would they look to appoint Southgate after they've appointed their own guy. If Southgate leaves England after the Euros and shit hits the fan at United, Ineos will probably consider him as an option.

United fans should hope that Southgate extends until the next WC, only then will the fear truly be able to go away.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
:lol:

Here we go, the most likely outcome with their dillydallying for three weeks. The Glazer and Woody clown show continues with Jimmy "The Local Lad" Brexit and his merry band. Yipeee!

As I said earlier, if he is continued with then we'll have to hand him a new contract as otherwise the players will undermine knowing he is on borrowed time. We love to send off our failing managers with a huge retirement fund. So, why not one for 'Aggy too, eh eh eh?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I stopped caring about setup and structures, having DoF and all, no denying Ashworth's experience here but I now only care about performances on the pitch and results, Ashworth, Barrada & Wilcox might be world class in football operations and whatnot, and INEOS deciding to keep EtH might have come from an objective review, all of that do not concern me going forward, all I will see is performances and results, so let's see what happens.
I would agree that your viewpoint is the best one to have. Personally, whatever happens in the next few months won't affect me one way or the other

ZainCRse7en

Could live with this decision tbh. The cup final showed that there is a masterclass of a genius manager in there. With a healthy squad, we could go places. But what needs to change next season is that we really need to stop making thrash teams in the likes of Wolves, Brentford, Palace, etc. look like prime Barcelona whenever they play against us.

Vanrouge

I think this was the best decision given all the circumstances. That's all I need to say, other than Erik ten Hag has my full backing next season.

OverratedOpinion

Personally I'm pleased he's staying on, as I think there's a lot of potential in the team he's putting together.

It doesn't hurt that the alternatives were mostly rubbish, Tuchel was the standout and he's been really poor at Bayern.
Did you see that lovely stat earlier?

Of every team that competed in a top 5 European division this season only 1 conceded more shots on goal than us? Nearly 100 teams.

I'd personally question your eye for "potential".

OverratedOpinion

Right decisions been made. Now let’s make some quality signings!! Back him and he’ll deliver more trophies next season.
Nearly 100 teams competed in the top 5 European leagues last season. Only 1 conceded more shots on goal than us.

Brilliant decision.

saivet

I do also think that the idea there were no good candidates out there isn't exactly correct. We could very easily sack ETH in the next 1-2 years and the managerial options may be worse than what we have today. I do understand the sentiment of sticking with what we have as there isn't a standout candidate but equally that shouldn't be a set in stone position otherwise ETH could be here indefinitely.

Anyway, let's see how this all goes. Really hoping to see some quick improvements and get me excited to watch United again.

Gomes

Writing off another couple of years like with the previous clown.
Wonder who will be the new Ronaldo who will be blamed and used to rewrite history.

The Hilton

Did you see that lovely stat earlier?

Of every team that competed in a top 5 European division this season only 1 conceded more shots on goal than us? Nearly 100 teams.

I'd personally question your eye for "potential".
Do you know what potential means?

Having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.
I see us conceding a lot fewer shots when we have the right players who are more familiar with the intended system.

Klean

The first of a long line of great decisions to restore this club to its proper glory.!!

OverratedOpinion

2 trophies in 2 seasons.

Brilliant decision.
Oh I remember when arsenal were a million miles away from being one of the best teams in the country and we mocked them for trying to paper the cracks with domestic trophies.

Ten Hags job was to move us closer to City, not to move us significantly further behind and paper the cracks by scraping past Coventry city on pens and having such bad tactics he has to throw Bruno at centre back and pray for a player he ignored all season to win it for him.

DJ_21

The problem is there isn't much evidence we'll be any better next season. It's mostly just wishful thinking.
And there isn’t any evidence we’ll be worse next season either. We’re improving the squad this summer so that already goes against your argument.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
And there isn’t any evidence we’ll be worse next season either. We’re improving the squad this summer so that already goes against your argument.
You know that for a fact?

I would expect us to improve the squad this summer, but until it actually happens, I wouldn't assume it'll be the case.

OverratedOpinion

I don’t think we should have him in charge of tactics either :lol:
Considering our season was mostly killed by the fact he couldn't realise that playing 1 midfielder against 3 was a bad idea. I'd agree.

This was obvious to anyone with eyes and FAR more detrimental than injuries.

Literal madness.

OverratedOpinion

You still talking?
"Yeah there is nothing to say we will be any better but there is nothing to say we will he any worse either! Let's just cross our fingers really hard and smile!"

If this is how your thought process works then yes I am still speaking, just not to you.

DJ_21

You know that for a fact?

I would expect us to improve the squad this summer, but until it actually happens, I wouldn't assume it'll be the case.
We can’t not improve the squad :lol: The owners aren’t blind. They know we need improvements and our current team needs addressing. Selling the bad attitude players like Sancho. And bringing in players to improve the squad and culture.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Considering our season was mostly killed by the fact he couldn't realise that playing 1 midfielder against 3 was a bad idea. I'd agree.

This was obvious to anyone with eyes and FAR more detrimental than injuries.

Literal madness.
A one-man midfield is a zero-man midfield. Most of us pointed that out in preseason, but it took him 35 PL games to realize it.