Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

croadyman

I voted for him to get the sack and haven't changed my vote since. But now that he is staying, I'll be supporting him and hoping that he has learned his lesson from this season and can improve. If he can suddenly decide on a suicidal shape from his first season to the second, he can easily go back to a better shape next season. I know it's unlikely as he has proven to be stubborn as hell, but the current shape does not work and I hope he can see that.

I think the lack of outstanding options is what secured his position at the end of the day. And I can't really disagree with it. I'd much rather have EtH in charge instead of Southgate or Frank. Now we need to get some players in, based on data and reviews and not EtH's familiarity with them.
Completely agree with this, however whether we start buying players based on that is another thing

croadyman

I would have been more annoyed had Tuchel not moved on, however think I am gonna stay away from here because seems there is real anger he's staying with many posters. I know I can be pessimistic but trying to have some positivity over it.

CM

How is sticking with a guy who finished fecking 8th with a negative goal difference a big club move exactly? :lol:
How can you not be impressed by the man who brought you 7-0 or had us finishing bottom of our Champions League group? Get it together mate

Marcus

I think this is the right decision. If he is looking good after maybe the first 10 games, give him a contract extension. Otherwise pull the trigger.

spwd

So ETH staying after finishing 8th is better than winning the league under Fergie? Wow
What a strange thing to say
No I mean I was pissed off and extremely disappointed that they were able to buy the club like they did and run us into the ground and now I'm feeling the same because him staying is imo going to set us back too!

YouOnlyLiveTwice

The market for managers was just meh, no one special we could snap up.

Ten Hag's belief in the young players is something i value about him a lot. Certainly we can't be as open as last season, way too easy for the oppo to get through our midfield. Finding the right DM will be crucial to our season and Lisandro staying fit.

fallengt

Not too worry about.
All candidates were very meh. Even if club was to appoint new manager, it would haven been a dice roll.
Do i need to remind us that all hipster managers last year had terrible season too?

But dont give him contract extension now. Wait until Christmas or something

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
As most of the players couldn’t be arsed to play for him last season ….they’re hardly likely to play for him now he’s been completely undermined by INEOS.
How has he been undermined?
They have conducted a review, they have spoken to people to see what’s available and concluded Erik is the right man moving forward. There is talk of a contract extension which is a sign that he is backed by them/the club. As we have already seen he will deal with any player who steps out of line. I don’t see the problem.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Didn't expect this decision, looks like they weren't satisfied with the options available. Fair enough if that's how they felt.

Just have to hope they clearly communicated what they expect playing style to be.

the_cliff

Would you get behind Gareth Southgate?
Speaking of Southgate, this convinced me that INEOS see Southgate as the next manager if ETH fails. Especially with Southgates recent comments saying this is probably his last tournament.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I can understand if he allowed to stay due to lack of options. But I'll be furious if Eneos allowing him to stay thinking he did a ok job last season though.

P/s: we going to kiss good bye all those few remaining positive records in OT, won't we?

Swedish_Plumber

I don’t think there was any point sacking him for another who wouldn’t have guaranteed an improvement.

He’ll be on thin ice but I do think we can get better again with a decent window (managed by better transfer folks) and a bit more luck with injuries.

There were good signs in his first year, as long ago as that may seem.

Football has to get better though, no more excuses.

nangis

Keeping Eric ten Hag will be one of the smartest decisions made by INEOS in their management

JediSith

Please not the Fergie 1990 comparison route
We’ve made this comparison with Moyes and Ole, but ETH is the only who deserves it. Not saying he will become a great or win league. But he has the most legitimate reason for finishing outside of the top 4; most injuries ever for a team in premier league history. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/crggreexyq2o.amp

Regardless of what people think of EtH, do they think any manager would get top 4 with those injuries? I doubt City would get top 4 tbh if they had our injuries.

Revan

Assumptionman
In a typical United fashion, we will now give him a new contract, and then sack him by December when we will trail the fourth place by 12 points.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No I mean I was pissed off and extremely disappointed that they were able to buy the club like they did and run us into the ground and now I'm feeling the same because him staying is imo going to set us back too!
Makes more sense. I was going to say even in our terrible post SAF run we've had far better moments than just announcing a manager was staying :lol:

Wilt

How has he been undermined?
They have conducted a review, they have spoken to people to see what’s available and concluded Erik is the right man moving forward. There is talk of a contract extension which is a sign that he is backed by them/the club. As we have already seen he will deal with any player who steps out of line. I don’t see the problem.
Are you serious? :lol:

Dead man walking ….no better than even money he survives beyond Christmas.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Of course we would! I don't want him anyway near us but if he is our manager everyone would.
I think "getting behind" any manager is fecking stupid personally and I think this is where some disconnect comes in between United fans. I support Manchester United the football club, not Erik Ten Hag. If we are playing well and getting good results then I'm happy with him, but I don't need to also just blindly "support" him if he's doing a terrible job and the team is performing horribly. Just judge people on their merits and contributions to the club, we don't have to blindly "back" everyone ever employed by the club if they are proving to not be up to the standard we aspire to. I don't think it's admirable to just give "unwavering support" to everyone that represents the club, in fact it looks foolish and too grounded in fantasyland for me.

croadyman

How can you not be impressed by the man who brought you 7-0 or had us finishing bottom of our Champions League group? Get it together mate
Only a Premier League or Champions League will ever bury that result in my eyes so good luck Erik

croadyman

Speaking of Southgate, this convinced me that INEOS see Southgate as the next manager if ETH fails. Especially with Southgates recent comments saying this is probably his last tournament.
I am praying he goes somewhere else after euros,will feel completely on edge until he's in another job

Wilt

Personally I think he thrives beyond Christmas. A decent window and a good start to next season is vital, but he with get us top 4 again next Sean. Just watch!
Have no doubt we‘ll all be watching ;)

Cloud7

Oh well. Hopefully he proves me wrong and we become something worth watching. At least we know what’s happening now.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Only a Premier League or Champions League will ever bury that result in my eyes so good luck Erik
The 4-3 buried it for me. The 7-0 was a freak result which ultimately got Liverpool 3 points that they failed to capitalise on in their bid to get top 4. At least that's how I frame it in the WhatsApp group chats with my Liverpool supporting mates. Any reference they make to that game can now immediately be shut down with a gif of Amad.

Cantonagotmehere

I think "getting behind" any manager is fecking stupid personally and I think this is where some disconnect comes in between United fans. I support Manchester United the football club, not Erik Ten Hag. If we are playing well and getting good results then I'm happy with him, but I don't need to also just blindly "support" him if he's doing a terrible job and the team is performing horribly. Just judge people on their merits and contributions to the club, we don't have to blindly "back" everyone ever employed by the club if they are proving to not be up to the standard we aspire to. I don't think it's admirable to just give "unwavering support" to everyone that represents the club, in fact it looks foolish and too grounded in fantasyland for me.
Of course mate on the bold. I am just saying we would support him at the start and hope for the best. If he underperforms I would of course raise concerns , etc...

Nori-

The clubs faith in ETH seems pretty fragile, I can imagine a few bad results and the dark clouds will start gathering again.

I just wonder if that happens how long will the club wait before sacking?

Do they give him time to turn things around or do they think "f*** this, we cant risk missing out on Champions League again" and pull the trigger.

croadyman

Not too worry about.
All candidates were very meh. Even if club was to appoint new manager, it would haven been a dice roll.
Do i need to remind us that all hipster managers last year had terrible season too?

But dont give him contract extension now. Wait until Christmas or something
Yeah make him earn that contract extension, needs to be in at least top 4 around the turn of year