Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
"Yeah there is nothing to say we will be any better but there is nothing to say we will he any worse either! Let's just cross our fingers really hard and smile!"
Now we’re getting somewhere. So let’s just agree. No one can predict what will happen next season but in my defence I was saying we are more likely to be better as we’re going to improve the squad. You can’t really say we won’t be better and back it up with nothing.

Lyng

Well that's that then.
Our worst Premier League season ever. Knocked out of the champions league, bottom of a super easy group.
But yes the FA Cup was nice.

Well Ten Hag you better deliver now. No more excuses.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Now we’re getting somewhere. So let’s just agree. No one can predict what will happen next season but in my defence I was saying we are more likely to be better as we’re going to improve the squad. You can’t really say we won’t be better and back it up with nothing.
It's the other way around.

You are the one making the assertion that we will be better, therefore the onus is on you to defend that assertion.

"We will be better because we can't get any worse" isn't an argument. We can always get worse.

OverratedOpinion

What do you base this idea that we will improve on?

Far more importantly what do you base the idea that we will improve to even close to the level he was brought in to achieve on?

DJ_21

It's the other way around.

You are the one making the assertion that we will be better, therefore the onus is on you to defend that assertion.

"We will be better because we can't get any worse" isn't an argument. We can always get worse.
No I said we’re more likely to be better as we’ll be improving the team. That’s me backing my statement up. Where’s your evidence to back up that we won’t be any better?

DJ_21

People called Ole vibes FC. This is the ultimate vibes FC.

"Yeah he's moved us further away from the best teams but it feels nice cause he's a nice man and we scraped an FA Cup. Maybe we will get better!"
Ye we 100% scraped the FA cup by knocking out Liverpool and being the better team against the best team in Europe in the final.

DJ_21

What do you base this idea that we will improve on?

Far more importantly what do you base the idea that we will improve to even close to the level he was brought in to achieve on?
Are you unaware that there’s a transfer window about to open? Usually teams buy players to improve their squad. And when did I say we’ll improve close to the level we need to get to? I don’t think I did. That will require more than 1 transfer window

OverratedOpinion

No I said we’re more likely to be better as we’ll be improving the team. That’s me backing my statement up. Where’s your evidence to back up that we won’t be any better?
The more time Ten Hag has had to "improve his team" the worse they have got.

That's the answer to your question.

Now answer

Why do you have trust in a man with a clearly horrendous eye for talent?

Why do you have trust in a man who ruined our season by playing 1 man against 3 in midfield despite anyone with eyes knowing that didn't work?

Why do you have trust in a man who has claimed the best he can do here is counter attacking football?

Why do you have trust in man who has managed us to being the 2nd most open team in the top 5 leagues of European football after spending half a billion?

red_de_pologne

Oh I remember when arsenal were a million miles away from being one of the best teams in the country and we mocked them for trying to paper the cracks with domestic trophies.

Ten Hags job was to move us closer to City, not to move us significantly further behind and paper the cracks by scraping past Coventry city on pens and having such bad tactics he has to throw Bruno at centre back and pray for a player he ignored all season to win it for him.
I like how you conveniently ignore how we dismantled the best team in the world in the final :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I can understand the optimism tbh. With the signings we made last summer we did also expect improvement. Let's hope this time it actually works out

OverratedOpinion

Ye we 100% scraped the FA cup by knocking out Liverpool and being the better team against the best team in Europe in the final.
We scraped past Liverpool, we scraped past Coventry and beat City by 1 goal after they threw one in their own net and we desperately fought to hold onto the lead at the end.

I dare you to say any of the above is untrue...

OverratedOpinion

Are you unaware that there’s a transfer window about to open? Usually teams buy players to improve their squad. And when did I say we’ll improve close to the level we need to get to? I don’t think I did. That will require more than 1 transfer window
Well he has had 2 already.

Failed miserably. Does that just reset every season so he's always judged with the grace of a brand new manager?

DJ_21

The more time Ten Hag has had to "improve his team" the worse they have got.

That's the answer to your question.

Now answer

Why do you have trust in a man with a clearly horrendous eye for talent?

Why do you have trust in a man who ruined our season by playing 1 man against 3 in midfield despite anyone with eyes knowing that didn't work?

Why do you have trust in a man who has claimed the best he can do here is counter attacking football?

Why do you have trust in man who has managed us to being the 2nd most open team in the top 5 leagues of European football after spending half a billion?
He’s been here 2 years? He had a good 1st season and got destroyed by his squad being injured for most of the season in his 2nd. How can you say the more time he’s had to improve his team the worse we’ve got? And for your information he won’t be doing any of the handpicking signings anymore. So his eye for talent won’t matter anymore. As for your other 4 questions. The new owners/structure would have spoken to him and told them what they expect going forward.

Redivy

We scraped past Liverpool, we scraped past Coventry and beat City by 1 goal after they threw one in their own net and we desperately fought to hold onto the lead at the end.

You could literally write this about 90% of cup winners ever.

Atheist

Just hope he doesn’t have any veto on transfers because he loves signing mediocre players he’s managed before on long contracts.

DJ_21

And if they beat us would you be saying Liverpool scraped past us? No you wouldn’t. We beat them by being better. Simple. And ok so we should have beat city 1-0 then as they shouldn’t have scored their goal because Onana should have saved it. Our 2nd goal against them was a quality team goal and anyone who says differently has no clue about football.

OverratedOpinion

He’s been here 2 years? He had a good 1st season and got destroyed by his squad being injured for most of the season in his 2nd. How can you say the more time he’s had to improve his team the worse we’ve got? And for your information he won’t be doing any of the handpicking signings anymore. So his eye for talent won’t matter anymore. As for your other 4 questions. The new owners/structure would have spoken to him and told them what they expect going forward.
So you're refusing to actually answer any questions.

"He just has vibes bro"

Himannv

I think this is just about the right call considering the lack of better options and the FA Cup win. Hope he repays the faith shown in him and delivers a better performance next season. On to transfers now I think.

DJ_21

Well he has had 2 already.

Failed miserably. Does that just reset every season so he's always judged with the grace of a brand new manager?
Really? I’d say his first window wasn’t to bad. Martinez, insane in his first season. Casemiro, one of our best players in the first season and transformed our team. Eriksen was decent enough. Malacia showed promising signs. His only bad signing in the first season was Antony. So you’re wrong again.

OverratedOpinion

And if they beat us would you be saying Liverpool scraped past us? No you wouldn’t. We beat them by being better. Simple. And ok so we should have beat city 1-0 then as they shouldn’t have scored their goal because Onana should have saved it. Our 2nd goal against them was a quality team goal and anyone who says differently has no clue about football.
You keep being really bad faith.

No Liverpool were the better side and dominated most of the match. You didn't mention Coventry at all, the reason Onana is different is it's a far more common mistake and he kept us in it by saving the usual 20 odd shots. Ortega had his worst moment in a City shirt.

DJ_21

So you're refusing to actually answer any questions.

"He just has vibes bro"
Ye because they all link to the same thing. A new season a new start. He’ll have pre season to work on new things. We will come back to this conversation half way through next season anyway… and I’m man enough to admit you was right if we’re still bad next season but we’ll see.

OverratedOpinion

Really? I’d say his first window wasn’t to bad. Martinez, insane in his first season. Casemiro, one of our best players in the first season and transformed our team. Eriksen was decent enough. Malacia showed promising signs. His only bad signing in the first season was Antony. So you’re wrong again.
Casemiro had 2 really good months but was a weird signing at that price and age, Antony a literal nightmare signing, Malacia did literally nothing we couldn't get from a youth player, Eriksen was okay and Martinez is the only true good signing (unlucky with injuries).

OverratedOpinion

Ye because they all link to the same thing. A new season a new start. He’ll have pre season to work on new things. We will come back to this conversation half way through next season anyway… and I’m man enough to admit you was right if we’re still bad next season but we’ll see.
WE ARE 2 YEARS IN!

His job was not to win Carling cups. It was to make us a side more likely to compete with the best. He has done the literal opposite and spent half a billion to do so.

DJ_21

You keep being really bad faith.

No Liverpool were the better side and dominated most of the match. You didn't mention Coventry at all, the reason Onana is different is it's a far more common mistake and he kept us in it by saving the usual 20 odd shots. Ortega had his worst moment in a City shirt.
It’s a cup game. You see shocks all the time. Wigan once beat city in the final. It happens but we still came out on top and people still wasn’t happy that we got to the final and people still aren’t happy that we won it. ‘It was a fluke’ apparently. We’re never going to dominate teams like Liverpool or city. You can still be better and deserve to win by playing another way. We ain’t at that level yet

red_de_pologne

so beating City by "only 1 goal" is now a stick to beat ETH with :lol::lol: Arsenal couldn't do it when their first title in decades was on the line, Real Madrid barely did it in CL

DJ_21

Casemiro had 2 really good months but was a weird signing at that price and age, Antony a literal nightmare signing, Malacia did literally nothing we couldn't get from a youth player, Eriksen was okay and Martinez is the only true good signing (unlucky with injuries).
So you agree Antony was the only one that was really bad?

DJ_21

WE ARE 2 YEARS IN!

His job was not to win Carling cups. It was to make us a side more likely to compete with the best. He has done the literal opposite and spent half a billion to do so.
Like I said we’ll come back to this conversation next season… don’t forget.

OverratedOpinion

It’s a cup game. You see shocks all the time. Wigan once beat city in the final. It happens but we still came out on top and people still wasn’t happy that we got to the final and people still aren’t happy that we won it. ‘It was a fluke’ apparently. We’re never going to dominate teams like Liverpool or city. You can still be better and deserve to win by playing another way. We ain’t at that level yet
"We ain't at that level yet"

His only real task when hired was to get us closer to that and he has moved us further away and spent half a billion to do it.

DJ_21

"We ain't at that level yet"

His only real task when hired was to get us closer to that and he has moved us further away and spent half a billion to do it.
He’s had 1 bad season out of 2. Liverpool had a bad season a couple of years ago and finished 5th. They soon got back into top 4. Football can be strange like that. You can have a really bad season depending on certain situations and then bounce right back the year later.

DJ_21

so beating City by "only 1 goal" is now a stick to beat ETH with :lol::lol: Arsenal couldn't do it when their first title in decades was on the line, Real Madrid barely did it in CL
Apparently. When everyone els does it they outsmarted city. When we do it, it was a fluke.

OverratedOpinion

He’s had 1 bad season out of 2. Liverpool had a bad season a couple of years ago and finished 5th. They soon got back into top 4. Football can be strange like that. You can have a really bad season depending on certain situations and then bounce right back the year later.
Liverpool always looked like a team that could control games and never looked like a team that would get dominated by nearly anyone they played.

OverratedOpinion

Apparently. When everyone els does it they outsmarted city. When we do it, it was a fluke.
No when we do it it's a fluke because it was done with a total fluke goal that will happen maybe once every 2 seasons as a result of an aimless ball lumped forwards.