Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

macheda14

When you came close to sacking the manager you can't make it more expensive for yourself to do so should the need arise, giving him a couple of years more will make it doubly more expensive and given his incompetence we might need to exercise that option as early as November. We should keep all our options open and if he can't manage in the uncertain situation his performances put him in then so be it. But then we have the idiots upstairs who watch him shit the bed for 9 months and think that deserves another season because he won a 6 game tournament.
You just can’t have a manager be in their final year. The level of uncertainty does no one good. It’s not just him, it’s his staff and it’s the players. Even if we sacked him halfway through next season without extending the contract we have to pay him off. Very doubtful we’ll be raising his termination clause so it’s not making it ‘doubly’ expensive.

Blood Mage

Oh ffs. De Zerbi is free.

Time to get behind the manager and hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic. Feels like we are just wasting another season while INEOS sort out the upper management.
If De Zerbi had a season as impressive as 22/23 again I think he would have got the job.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When you came close to sacking the manager you can't make it more expensive for yourself to do so should the need arise, giving him a couple of years more will make it doubly more expensive and given his incompetence we might need to exercise that option as early as November. We should keep all our options open and if he can't manage in the uncertain situation his performances put him in then so be it. But then we have the idiots upstairs who watch him shit the bed for 9 months and think that deserves another season because he won a 6 game tournament.
If Ten Hag gets a new contract they'll build all sorts of break clauses into it to ensure if there's cause to fire him it'll be cheaper. If he's that keen to stay he'll sign it. He's independently wealthy and he should believe there will never be another 8th placed finish or anything close to it.

Frankly but for him stubbornly persisting with his basketball tactics, we would not have finished so pathetically this season. Nobody else in the league saw fit to be so stretched without the ball.

He is capable of setting us up differently, that was shown at Wembley. Now he has to show he can make us compact out of possession every week.

The idea of forcing high turnovers is great in theory but I'd more than happily settle for winning it in midfield and working the ball into the final third patiently. There's no need for the front half of our team to go chasing the ball like greyhounds.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Another wasted year of crap football awaits us, along with all the excuses people will come with again.
The main one will be they didn't get him the players he wanted, we'll be reading this all winter. He wasn't backed, he wanted that player but didnt get him, he is swimming with his arms tied etc.

RedStarUnited

Can someone explain to me why the hell
Would we be negotiating a contract extension at this point? We made this same mistake with Ole last time around, extending him when there was no one interested in him and just made our own sacking more expensive.

No one wants to take him from us, let the guy see out his contract and extend him if its all going well.

mav_9me

I really really like ETH. However I wasn't sure about keeping or moving on from him. I can absolutely see the issues and understand those who wanted to move on from him. I just wasn't sure how much of the issues were down to him vs the injuries. The thing I like the most about him is how he has demanded high standards and how he has gotten Garnacho and Mainoo through to the first team.

Hopefully we figure out our structure to help get him help with the squad.

Judas

Open to offers
Another wasted year of crap football awaits us, along with all the excuses people will come with again.
The main one will be they didn't get him the players he wanted, we'll be reading this all winter. He wasn't backed
When has this ever been the excuse? He's been backed massively and got the players he wanted (unfortunately) most of the time.

mav_9me

Would we be negotiating a contract extension at this point? We made this same mistake with Ole last time around, extending him when there was no one interested in him and just made our own sacking more expensive.

No one wants to take him from us, let the guy see out his contract and extend him if its all going well.
Without a contact extension he is a lame duck coach. There is an element of that even now.

NLunited

How about the goal against pool followed by further banishment? I wonder if I'm even living in the same dimension as some of you ETH cultists.
He played very well, but so did Antony who also scored by the way. Amad wasn’t ‘banished’, he was not a starter. Besides, he got a second yellow.

What game besides the Pool game stands out to you as a great performance by Amad? I can’t remember any.

No Ten Hag did it right. Young players need to contribute to the first team before they get their rewards. And he did get rewarded.

Rooney1987

What alternatives are you hoping for next season? Some of the most respected coaches not named Pep or Jurgen, were available. It'll be years until somebody of that calibre comes along again, so Ten Hag can fail miserably again and he'll stay. Or we'll get Southgate to scratch that itch they apparently have.

Make no bones about it though, if anther top class coach comes along anytime soon then it's far from guaranteed they'd want to come here given that all the best clubs in Europe will have a spot for them.
Like who?

It's just not true, it's why the likes of Chelsea, Bayern went for championship managers and Liverpool went for Poundland ETH. Tuchel is the only one I would say is a top coach, he apparently wants to take a break and even if he didn't I don't to tell you why that isn't a great idea. Im not sure Frank, De Zirbi, Southgate and Poch are not great options.

Lewnited

Ironically this is the first time I've actually felt like we may be in the 'Southgate manages United' timeline

NLunited

He didn’t fecking play ! Are we really trying to spin this as a ETH positive? It’s okay lads even if you support him you don’t have to spin everything, like I said he did well integrating Garnacho and Mainoo but was poor in how he handled Amad
He was injured, had to get match fitness, had some underwhelming cameos, played great in the Pool game, was suspended. Relax.

No spinning, facts.

diarm

There are any number of potential reasons:
  • To renegotiate a deal in which he has less influence on transfers, playing style or big picture decisions.
  • To show the squad that he is the head coach and has the long term backing of management in that role.
  • To include new minimum expectations and requirements for which he will be accountable.
  • To give him confidence and a sense of security so he can plan accordingly.
  • To prevent the inevitable mid-season circus of the media counting down the days until his contract runs out.
  • To avoid the distraction of entering such negotiations mid-season if he does begin to turn things around.
If we take a second to stop and think, rather than just lash out, it's not rocket science.

Rolaholic

Without a contact extension he is a lame duck coach. There is an element of that even now.
Does that suddenly change by giving him a further 2 years after all of Europe have known that we were having dinner with every available suitable managerial candidate this month?

the_cliff

People saying we wasted next season. I disagree.

Next season depends on how the transfer window goes, not on the manager.

diarm

We've also changed managers 6 times over the last decade. I'm struggling to see which times saved the following seasons?

We've wasted umpteen seasons by making bad decisions, over and over again. I'd happily waste one more so we can set ourselves up to make better decisions in the future.

lsd

The Oracle
It's actually even worse than the Glazers hiring him as Ineos actually went to every game watched us get outplayed and out coached by every opponent and then went yes we will keep him around.

Vidooq

What do you mean by this, is our squad not a reflection of his input already?

He's genuinely been backed better in the market than any manager post-Fergie, we've spent massive amounts on players simply off his recommendations
Better than any manager post-Fergie, yet, there are coaches that are backed more, like Pep, like Arteta. Those are the better build squads in the Premier League, and we really need to bring in quality players in order to catch up with them. Giving Ten Hag such a sway over transfers was clearly a mistake. Not even Klop was able to make the right transfers when he volunteered for that task. Let him coach, advise him on the plans of which players you want to bring in, but don't give him the final say.

I hope that INEOS, and their team will address the quality and the balance of the squad because if in case Casemiro leaves, we have to get a DM. I don't think Amrabat is the answer, we need a Rice-type of signing. We need a new left-back. We'll probably need 2 new CB's, and more experienced striker, to rest and rotate with Hojlund.

I pray to God we sort out the injuries because they've truly decimated our team this year.

I can find a similar video clip from a 1-2 loss at home to Fulham.

And a similar video clip from a 1-3 loss at home to Brighton.

And a similar video clip from a 0-3 loss at home to Bournemouth.

Which one should I dig out?
Consistency, innit...

NLunited

We learned a lot about our squad last season. Now we need to show what we learned in the transfer window.

eire-red

The ironic thing is, EtH at Ajax would be the type of manager many of us would want to see under the new Ineos structure, if we take a step back in time. It's why many were so excited when we did appoint him, and why this season has been such a massive disappointment.

On balance, it's the right decision I think... but just about. Next season is do or die for EtH, he has to deliver now, especially if we make signings that should iron out the issues he has blamed all year. But he didn't become a bad manager overnight. I think he's worth taking a gamble on for another year when you look at the alternatives.

IRELANDUNITED

The best decision we’ve made post Sir Alex. This is the biggest football club in the world, maybe, finally, we will start to act like it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While it's not the decision I would have made, I was always going to back whatever decision INEOS made (bar maybe if it was Southgate). I'm going to trust them for a good few years until such time they prove they aren't competent.

My assumption at this point is that ETH showed enough behind the scenes (similar to Fergie and Arteta did) to indicate that what he was doing would provide long-term benefits. It's the side of things that we fans don't see, so if Wilcox and the others think he's doing good work there then so be it. I presume he'll be on a tighter leash in terms of what is happening on the field though, so hopefully we won't get the shit-show that we had this season. And unless he does the impossible and actually makes this season's tactics work in the future, the fact he threw away a season in stubbornness is something that will always be a negative against him even if he does make a different tactic work in the future.

If we do give him a contract extension, it better not be a long one though. One extra year until he proves he can actually turn things around on the field.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The thing I like the most about him is how he has demanded high standards
Yes, losing 7-0 to Liverpool screams high standards.

Hell, setting the team up the way he did against Crystal Palace this year and losing 4-0 smacks of throwing in the towel before the game has even started.

He made a song and dance about running with the team after the Brentford defeat last season but by no means does he demand high standards. Rashford played most of the games this year stinking up the place and he's not the only one.

AneRu

A status he more than deserves given the debacle of a season he presided over. If he can't manage under the circumstances of his own making in addition to not being able to play decent football without Martinez maybe he isn't worth all the trouble as his league performances this season have shown. We are run by utter idiots to even consider keeping him let alone give him another contract.

Rustyspider13

I voted for him to get the sack and haven't changed my vote since. But now that he is staying, I'll be supporting him and hoping that he has learned his lesson from this season and can improve. If he can suddenly decide on a suicidal shape from his first season to the second, he can easily go back to a better shape next season. I know it's unlikely as he has proven to be stubborn as hell, but the current shape does not work and I hope he can see that.

I think the lack of outstanding options is what secured his position at the end of the day. And I can't really disagree with it. I'd much rather have EtH in charge instead of Southgate or Frank. Now we need to get some players in, based on data and reviews and not EtH's familiarity with them.

Blood Mage

The best decision we’ve made post Sir Alex. This is the biggest football club in the world, maybe, finally, we will start to act like it.
How is sticking with a guy who finished fecking 8th with a negative goal difference a big club move exactly? :lol: