Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Valencia Shin Crosses

I have always been ETH in but I also see the issues. I absolutely agree that our whole game needs to improve.

He can't have a season that looks anything like the season past. We need to impose ourselves in the majority of the games and be pragmatic for the top few sides.

He needs to finish top 4 and have us playing good attacking creative football. It would also be nice to have games with half hour to go and we're comfortable. Hasn't happened enough.
Yep. I’m done complaining, but I won’t accept us lowering the standards of a 3rd season under the same management just because last season was so poor. There SHOULD have been good progress last season. But now it’s a necessity given the monetary outlay and time he’s had to imprint his principles and style upon the squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A lot of ten hag outers are being sensible about the news, whilst respecting the opinions.

The usual suspects are in full on kid mode. I can't tell what I find funnier - the "il do what I want" guy or the "that guy actually has friends" guy :lol:
I wonder how some of you cope in the real world if you think posting a tweet is some kind of 'meltdown'.

It's you that is kicking up the fuss over it because you still can't handle any bad word about your man :lol:.

I said for weeks that I expected him to stay and he did.

Borninthe80ts

Is it really that stupid to look for and find potential reasons for a Ten staying? Is there not some logic based on the factors others have mentioned even if you didn’t want him to stay?

To write of transfers, departures tactics and basically the whole season before a ball has been kicked is pessimistic even if it’s based on the poor previous season.

Hopefully we have a season of improvement like the first under the current manager and he can show that he hasn’t told the midfielders to not track back or be sloppy with passes. Or to lose concentration and not mark when their meant to.

Rather than react to every media report as though it’s fact I think folk will be happier if they stuck to reliable sources if that. Normal reviews take 2 weeks at least which this one was conducted within. To me this is evidence of a measured approach rather than reactive, contrary to declarations that it’s proof of future ineptitudes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder how some of you cope in the real world if you think posting a tweet is some kind of 'meltdown'.

It's you that is kicking up the fuss over it because you still can't handle any bad word about your man :lol:.

Oh no, not the "I'll do what I want guy!"
Carry on posting from crazy people, it's fun to read at times.

Goldbridge guessed ten hag would stay too, guess you can be in his camp for IQ. Good lad.

Ps. I never said meltdown in the quote. Don't know why you had it in speech marks.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yep. I’m done complaining, but I won’t accept us lowering the standards of a 3rd season under the same management just because last season was so poor. There SHOULD have been good progress last season. But now it’s a necessity given the monetary outlay and time he’s had to imprint his principles and style upon the squad.
It boggles the mind, LVG got sacked for way less!

diarm

I'm content.

It's not news to celebrate over, because there is no excuse for 8th and negative goal difference, and some of his decisions, particularly surrounding selection and in game tactics or substitutions have left a huge amount to be desired.

He'll have to go a long ways to get us all back onside, but unlike some - I don't think the idea of that happening is completely impossible. For the time being, I'm going to try and focus on the positives:

The decision has been made before the transfer window opens in a couple of days. Any negotiations can now be made and finalised with complete transparency regarding who's in place for the start of the season.​
We haven't identified and recruited a new head coach before the senior hierarchy are in place and settled. I was really worried about the idea of replacing such a key component before a cohesive organisational structure and vision was installed. It just felt short sighted and messy - especially when looking at the standard and characteristics of the candidates being spoken about.​
It isn't Southgate, Pochettino, Tuchel or Potter - all of whom I truly believe would've just been another disaster. Any serious coaches weren't coming to us this summer, and simply replacing Ten Hag with someone equally bad to make a point just feels pointless and counterproductive. Stabilise and organise the club behind the scenes over the course of this coming season, and if we haven't progressed as far as we like on the pitch, we should at least be in a better position to attract stronger candidates next summer.​
Ten Hag has developed players. Garnacho, Mainoo, Dalot and Hojlund have all come on well under his guidance. McTominay and Amad as well to lesser extents. He's shown a willingness to invest in youth and has the guts them to give them significant exposure to the first team when other coaches wouldn't have them anywhere near.​
He has shown a winning instinct in the latter stages of cups and in finals. Obviously this means little if we are grossly underperforming in the league and Europe, but it does suggest that if he can hit his groove in the more important competitions, there is a winner there who can get over the line when it counts.​
I would wager that a part of this review, his end of season discussions and these reported new contract discussions, have included conversations about his involvement in transfers and his stubbornness when it comes to tactics and selections. I don't believe the club would be keeping him in his role, or considering a new contract, if he was putting his foot down in regards to what powers and "veto's" he might wield. I think we began to see that evolution towards the end of the season, and I hope/think we'll see more signs of it in August and September.​
Sancho won't be weaselling his way back into the squad, which would've really pissed me off.​
So again - not news to celebrate in any way. He'll be starting the season on the chopping block, regardless of any new contract and will know that anything like the standards shown last year will see him gone before Christmas. On that note, the management above him will need to make it abundantly clear to any squad members who might feel that Ten Hag is on ice, so too are they and anyone not getting with the program will not simply be allowed to wait out the coach and start their cycle of dialling it in afresh again. We need to create and instil a culture wherein coaches and players are simply executers of a bigger plan and picture. Do your part and you'll get along - fail to do so and you'll be replaced with someone else who can, regardless of your status and reputation.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Im still sort of in shock that it took this long just for them to keep him. Figured if we were keeping him he would have been backed after the cup win, but the silence was loud and felt like we were just waiting for the joy to die off before cutting him loose. Didn’t see him staying as a possibility until the last few days when it became clear we weren’t getting Tuchel and the other options were done. Wild timeline.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Since ETH staying and getting a new deal. I hope Ineos knows what they need to do next. They got to start selling players that has underperformed and get their targets in ASAP. It is likely that Sancho and Greenwood will be out of the door. I hope I see a ruthless Ineos is selling players.

Leftback99

Oh no, not the "I'll do what I want guy!"
Carry on posting from crazy people, it's fun to read at times.

Goldbridge guessed ten hag would stay too, guess you can be in his camp for IQ. Good lad.
I don't watch trash like Goldbridge but it all makes sense where your level of football knowledge comes from now.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I can find a similar video clip from a 1-2 loss at home to Fulham.

And a similar video clip from a 1-3 loss at home to Brighton.

And a similar video clip from a 0-3 loss at home to Bournemouth.

Which one should I dig out?
Whichever one you want mate. One of those clips might be more apt in sharing your disapproval of Ten Hag staying in charge. Freezeframes from a 4-3 win over Liverpool, or a 2-1 win over City en route to only the 3rd FA Cup I've been old enough to see us lift, is only going to make me feel more content about keeping Ten Hag in charge for now instead of hiring Poch or Southgate.

Judas

Open to offers
Well he has my full support and backing. I think he should have gone, but it is what it is.

With Southgate lurking, there's even more reason to get behind him and hope he can turn things around.

Chumpsbechumps

Reset the poll:

How happy are you that ETH will be United manager next season?

1. I endorse this decision

2. Gonna relentlessly post in the thread with unfiltered anger , pointing out everything that goes wrong, until he’s sacked cause I’m right , he’s a spoofer and I can’t wait to say “I told you” to all the United fans holding us back

3. Heh

Valencia Shin Crosses

It boggles the mind, LVG got sacked for way less!
Like I said, I’m done complaining.

But I won’t accept standards dropping further (which means another season of embarrassment doesn’t get to get waved away because of a few missing starters and a league cup win or something). Its time to take steps forwards back towards the top level again.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It is what it is and will back the team but not overly confident he can turn it around. If I had to guess he will be sacked by Christmas.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Since ETH staying and getting a new deal. I hope Ineos knows what they need to do next. They got to start selling players that has underperformed and get their targets in ASAP. It is likely that Sancho and Greenwood will be out of the door. I hope I see a ruthless Ineos is selling players.
If the transfers in and out this summer are more competent than the mess we have had, I will view that as a big plus.

Leftback99

Im still sort of in shock that it took this long just for them to keep him. Figured if we were keeping him he would have been backed after the cup win, but the silence was loud and felt like we were just waiting for the joy to die off before cutting him loose. Didn’t see him staying as a possibility until the last few days when it became clear we weren’t getting Tuchel and the other options were done. Wild timeline.
I always thought the lack of solid rumours on a replacement despite the dreadful performances was a big indicator. Never bought into the Southgate link at any point.

Ridiculous how they've gone about it post the end of the season.

Chairman Steve

Regardless of whether our recruitment is spot on this summer, he will be under pressure from the first game for me.

I do not want to see performances like Palace away, Bournemouth home and Brighton home again. Those pitiful Champions League performances stick in my head too. It needs to be a hell of a lot better now.

Robindinho

All is forgiven... Forget finishing 8th Eric, or bottom of the champions league group.

So what about a negative goal difference?

Yeah, your stubbornness in player selection and tactics cost us but hey ho. You even rushed your favourites back and ran others into the ground.

We agree with you - facing 35 shots a game, haha, who cares?!

It's all because of missing Shaw & Martinez. New contract coming up.

...ridiculous decision :nervous:

James35

Shit news for me. Only Southgate being appointed would have been worse. This stubborn man is not going to change so I hope the contract renewal talk will be held off until after the season has started at least. We are still stuck with half the shite he's already purchased and he will still have his favourites. Unless he is going to agree to be a yes man I don’t see any difference next season than just another battle for top 6 at best.

As soon as we have injuries and the like though, Erik and his followers will have the excuses ready to go again. Maybe the new INEOS people will actually buy some real high quality players this summer, that walk into the first team and actually improve us regardless of his input, seems highly unlikely though considering our finances and inability to sell well, which I personally don’t see changing anytime soon.

If we are relying on the majority of the same bunch and just his coaching ability, we are going nowhere. Great news for the rest of the league I guess when our midfield is non existent again and we ship chance after chance against anyone we play. I think some people forget we also shipped tonnes of goals and had massive losses when we didn’t have injuries at the back. Tactically he has been awful in my opinion bar the odd exception and this is why I have wanted him out since September.

I guess I’m just going to have to get over it as my backing of the club will never waver and I really want us to improve. I just pray that if he starts shitting the bed again they sack him, just like the club did with Jose and Ole, and not get suckered into the trust the process bollocks when we’ve just lost 4 nil at home to Southampton!

Last edited:

klayton88

I'm content.

It's not news to celebrate over, because there is no excuse for 8th and negative goal difference, and some of his decisions, particularly surrounding selection and in game tactics or substitutions have left a huge amount to be desired.

He'll have to go a long ways to get us all back onside, but unlike some - I don't think the idea of that happening is completely impossible. For the time being, I'm going to try and focus on the positives:

The decision has been made before the transfer window opens in a couple of days. Any negotiations can now be made and finalised with complete transparency regarding who's in place for the start of the season.​
We haven't identified and recruited a new head coach before the senior hierarchy are in place and settled. I was really worried about the idea of replacing such a key component before a cohesive organisational structure and vision was installed. It just felt short sighted and messy - especially when looking at the standard and characteristics of the candidates being spoken about.​
It isn't Southgate, Pochettino, Tuchel or Potter - all of whom I truly believe would've just been another disaster. Any serious coaches weren't coming to us this summer, and simply replacing Ten Hag with someone equally bad to make a point just feels pointless and counterproductive. Stabilise and organise the club behind the scenes over the course of this coming season, and if we haven't progressed as far as we like on the pitch, we should at least be in a better position to attract stronger candidates next summer.​
Ten Hag has developed players. Garnacho, Mainoo, Dalot and Hojlund have all come on well under his guidance. McTominay and Amad as well to lesser extents. He's shown a willingness to invest in youth and has the guts them to give them significant exposure to the first team when other coaches wouldn't have them anywhere near.​
He has shown a winning instinct in the latter stages of cups and in finals. Obviously this means little if we are grossly underperforming in the league and Europe, but it does suggest that if he can hit his groove in the more important competitions, there is a winner there who can get over the line when it counts.​
I would wager that a part of this review, his end of season discussions and these reported new contract discussions, have included conversations about his involvement in transfers and his stubbornness when it comes to tactics and selections. I don't believe the club would be keeping him in his role, or considering a new contract, if he was putting his foot down in regards to what powers and "veto's" he might wield. I think we began to see that evolution towards the end of the season, and I hope/think we'll see more signs of it in August and September.​
Sancho won't be weaselling his way back into the squad, which would've really pissed me off.​
So again - not news to celebrate in any way. He'll be starting the season on the chopping block, regardless of any new contract and will know that anything like the standards shown last year will see him gone before Christmas. On that note, the management above him will need to make it abundantly clear to any squad members who might feel that Ten Hag is on ice, so too are they and anyone not getting with the program will not simply be allowed to wait out the coach and start their cycle of dialling it in afresh again. We need to create and instil a culture wherein coaches and players are simply executers of a bigger plan and picture. Do your part and you'll get along - fail to do so and you'll be replaced with someone else who can, regardless of your status and reputation.
Great post. My views are pretty much the same.

That looks like a 3v4. With 3 united players getting back before 1 liverpool player joins the attack. Its a freeze frame so impossible to actually tell but dont see the problem. Liverpool player has space 40+ yards from goal - oh no!
The freeze frame just is a basic level approach of summarizing this video that Jamie Carragher (yes Scouse, but he knows his football) explains well. 20 seconds in.

We saw that for 35 premier league games in a row. From Wolves at home to Palace away.

Eddy_JukeZ

He needs to get off a flyer next season.

Another poor start and the club will look like fools.

It'd be the 3rd season. No more excuses. We need lots of tangible progression in every facet regarding performances.

hobbers

Pool and Chelsea both have their own spoofer baldies now, ETH must finish ahead of them and tragic Spurs this season, otherwise we welcome the glorious reign of Gareth.

Dazzmondo

According to Romano's latest tweet, sounds like ETH's development of the young players was a major factor in INEOS sticking with ETH. I'll give him credit for that. The development of Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad towards the end of the season have been positives. Hoping to see Amad getting more game time next season and maybe introducing Harry Amass to the team.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Seems like INEOS sounded out the other potential options and weren't convinced. Tuchel is the only one of them I'd have as being clearly a better manager than Ten Hag, but he would have blew up in no time working under the new structure, even if he agreed to it. All the others have proven themselves average or are unknown gambles.

Ten Hag shat the bed last season, and couldn't have complained at all if given the sack. It's mad that it basically took until the last three games of the season to try something else tactically, when Plan A just so obviously wasn't working with the players we had available. He needs to be far more adaptable going forward.

Probably the right decision in the end, and I still think it could work out for the best with the right transfers (some defenders who can stay fit and play a high line, a midfielder with a good engine who can cover a lot of ground), but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if we'd gotten rid, had better options been available.

In a summer when Chelsea and Bayern are bringing in managers whose only real achievement is winning the fecking Championship, I'll take it.

mu4c_20le

I've never heard of a season review that included considering and sounding out replacements

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm baffled by how this has been handled. Massive summer, we better do some ridiculous business.
Yeah INEOS have some serious ground to make up in terms of fanbase trust for sure. From both sides as well, as even ETH supporters are pissed at how long they dragged it on and the manner in which they went about things. Have to nail our signings now.

Raven

Well he has my full support and backing. I think he should have gone, but it is what it is.

With Southgate lurking, there's even more reason to get behind him and hope he can turn things around.
Southgate lurking is one of the big problems. After he leaves England after they crash out in the quarters, he'll be jobless and then ETH getting the sack a few months later guarantees that talentless oik as our manager.

Red4Lyfe

Supports
Liverpool
Can't wait for the new season. Will our baldy be better than your baldy and all of the other baldies? Just want to get it started and, being Swedish, the euros are just an annoyance. That dane better get his shit together for the WC 2026 qualifiers.