Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It is horrible. No team has had the level of injuries concentrated in defence as we have.

Teams would rather have one more injury overall but spread out in different positions, than to have a lot of injuries that effectively entirely decimates the defence. Horrible is the only word to describe our injury situation.

Last season was more than solid. Wind back to all the predictions and the neutrals didn't have us in top 4. He ended up walking it with 8pts between him at 3rd and Liverpool in 5th. He also did it whilst getting to two Cup finals and winning one.

Im not saying that this season isn't horrible by his standards or any standard by the way. I'm saying he has had to deal with a feck ton that many of us don't know about and the injury and structural frailties are pretty massive weights on any coach. He's still been shite this season. But he was very good last season.

One bad season doesn't make a manager bad. He may not be the guy for us, and that's fine. But he's not a bad manager.
I agree with that to be fair. Under right circumstances he could be a good coach. I just think he needs a number of things to work almost perfectly for him to be at his best and we are not the kind of environment where this is likely to happen anytime soon, we must have someone more flexible and able to adapt. Basically given our frailties and limitations we need someone who is able to get the best out of available resources, he’s not that type of manager as he’s too stubborn.

Wilt

Unbelievable to think United might finish the season with a minus goal difference :nervous:

justboy68

Last year was a strong over performance. No one expected us to get that many points, certainly no one expected us to hit 2 finals for a manager working out a foreign league with a club effectively in free fall weeks before he came.
We also didn't expect to be humiliated 7-0 by our biggest rivals. It was an overall decent season of ups and downs. Something to build on, not something incredible.

My take on his time is one decent season carried by Rashford and Casemiro and one horrific disaster to follow once they went off the boil.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well by all means edify me with your insider knowledge.
Post is edited. By the way Melissa Reddy in the vid posted earlier also insinuates strongly he's had to deal with a feck ton that is probably not recognised in the right weight by casual fans, and that's why a lot at the club want him to succeed. He's not handling his defence well though.
With the talent in the squad and the resources at the disposal of the manager 70+ points should never be considered some amazing accomplishment.

What are we doing here? We have one of the biggest wage bills and transfer budgets in football. Squad full of international players yet somehow we should feel lucky if we finish above Newcastle.
Go back and look at where neutrals predicted the season - we were backed to be in top 4 by something like 8% of the predictions. You can also go back to the Overlap pre season stuff for fan sentiment, the standard skysports season predictors etc.

Not only did he walk top 4, with a very good tally (his first year had what, our 3rd highest point rank since SAF?), he also hit two finals and did manage to win a cup.

You ask what are we doing here - we are appearing to be in a rabbit hole debate because some posters (not you to be fair) hate the man so much that they don't want anyone to say Ten Hag isnt a bad manager, even if they agree he's not going to be around for us.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Our League Form Up Until the League Cup Win:
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
24​
15​
4​
5​
41​
28​
13​
49​
2.04​

Our League Form After the Cup Win:
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
14​
8​
2​
4​
17​
15​
2​
26​
1.86​

All League Form Since the Cup Win:
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
48​
24​
8​
16​
69​
66​
3​
80​
1.67​
You can see that it's been a downward spiral and our form since the Cup Win has really not been good. Yes in those 14 games we did manage to pick up a decent amount of points (Villa, City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool had higher Pts Per Game in the same range) but you can see the GD rot began at this point. It's simply continued and gotten worse this season. It's far more accurate to say that Ten Hag had a good first half of the season and the clubs good form ended with that Cup Win. Irrespective of reaching two finals, cup runs are not a good way to show a clubs progress and form.

I imagine we'll be in negative GD on the bottom table when the season is over.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We also didn't expect to be humiliated 7-0 by our biggest rivals. It was an overall decent season of ups and downs. Something to build on, not something incredible.

My take on his time is one decent season carried by Rashford and Casemiro and one horrific disaster to follow once they went off the boil.
I don't give a feck about isolated results. He still had a very good season in totality.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We're performing like a borderline relegation candidate by many metrics. Loads could do better.

Yes, Ten Hag has recruited terribly for whatever this style is he wants to play.

He's heavily involved in recruitment and should know a good player and fee when he sees one.
I’ve shown earlier how we’ve already improved by a goal per game extra in attack from the start of the season to now. We are averaging 2.3 goals for per game. With an inexperienced front 2/3. That’s impressive.

We now need to sort out exactly what we all can see and what Ten Hag has also been saying defence and midfield which can only properly happen with better players. Evans, Lindelof, McTominay are never going to be the guys.

I disagree. Did you know for example even Antony is in the top 10 chance creators for wingers in the big 5 leagues?
Source:https://football-observatory.com/MonthlyReport94

He doesn’t decide the fee and the fee for the likes of Antony isn’t his fault. He initially wanted a striker, was told we couldn’t get one so settled for another wide option. The clubs inability to negotiate shouldn’t be on Ten Hag. I also maintain there wasn’t a clearly better left footed RW option that would have joined us that window.

Hardly Ten Hags fault that we lost Greenwood and so were desperate for forward options.
I think most would agree, the players are as big, if not bigger (for me, a bigger issue) an issue as the manager - A lot of these players do need to go, and yeah we need those additions in defence and defensive midfield. While Ten Hag has dealt well with a lot of issues correctly, I do think that if his team doesn't have the legs to play the transition football he wants to play, he should have the ability to be a bit more pragmatic and just get the wins (However scrappy they are) against the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, etc. I have no issues with his man management, I believe he's done that aspect better than Mou, Ole and LVG - I don't think someone like Tuchel will do better in that respect.

I do take issue with his tactics in these easy games he should win, yes of course we've got injuries but we can still win these games if we play with a bit more solidity after we've taken a lead - and I believe that can be coached. I would be OK if he gets a bit more time with a fully fit squad and a couple of additions in the summer to see if he fixes these issues, but I would also be OK with someone like Nagelsmann or Enrique coming in at the end of the season, as long as it's a tactically better coach that doesn't have a prolonged history of falling out with players.

Not going to put some of these transfers solely on the manager, and yes of course we'd play better with our injured players back / if we had better players in certain areas - But we should still be getting past these bottom half / championship teams despite these limitations, our 2nd eleven should be good enough to at least beat 10th in the PL. This is where he comes up short for me, and I hope he's able to address this if he stays next season.
So why don’t we finally hold the player accountable and improve that aspect first. Otherwise we replace Ten Hag and it’s another clean slate for them. The personnel are not good enough.

When Ten Hag’s team have sat back deeper and relied on blocks everyone here is moaning about the shots conceded (irrespective of the fact they are low quality, rarely make it on target and aren’t the same as conceding big chances).

For what it’s worth @RedRocket08 I think you’re completely reasonable to believe all of what you have said.
He won the league in both his seasons at PSG, he won the league last year at Bayern and failed this year mainly because of how absurdly good Leverkusen have been (normally this Bayern season would see them crowned as champions). It’s really hard to compare ten Hag’a accolades with Tuchel because clearly they are on a very different level, but it’s not surprising for me that you are now trying to downplay Tuchel to protect the manager you are so immensely in love with.
He won the Bundesliga because Dortmund bottled it on the last day. He was widely criticised all season for it.

Winning with PSG is hardly an achievement.

justboy68

I don't give a feck about isolated results. He still had a very good season in totality.
I guess we just fundamentally disagree on what a very good season looks like at Manchester United. It was decent and nothing more for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I agree with that to be fair. Under right circumstances he could be a good coach. I just think he needs a number of things to work almost perfectly for him to be at his best and we are not the kind of environment where this is likely to happen anytime soon, we must have someone more flexible and able to adapt. Basically given our frailties and limitations we need someone who is able to get the best out of available resources, he’s not that type of manager as he’s too stubborn.
Under the right circumstances all our ex managers can do far better.

We should be realistic and stop wishing for SAF mark 2. Manager comes and go their life shelf is only 3-5 at max. We should be ready to cut our loss if they dont show massive improvement in 6 months.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I guess we just fundamentally disagree on what a very good season looks like at Manchester United. It was decent and nothing more.
It was definitely not just decent. But we can just leave it there.

Don't like the whole generic "this is what a good season at United should be". The club was in free fall before he came and there's very little that could be done to achieve and even stronger first year. Have better form at the end of the season? Yeah sure. Not have a terrible 45 vs Liverpool? Ok sure.

Malone_Post

I’d love to know how these ‘structural issues’ impact ETH’s team selection, tactical set up & in game management. All of which have been absolutely horrific all season. And all of which were pointed out could be a flaw of his before he even took the job by our resident Eredivisie followers.

It’s just another buzzword with no real meaning for his fans to hide behind while they bury their heads deeper and deeper in the sand. They’re losing the plot almost as much as he is.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It is horrible. No team has had the level of injuries concentrated in defence as we have.

Teams would rather have one more injury overall but spread out in different positions, than to have a lot of injuries that effectively entirely decimates the defence. Horrible is the only word to describe our injury situation.

Last season was more than solid. Wind back to all the predictions and the neutrals didn't have us in top 4. He ended up walking it with 8pts between him at 3rd and Liverpool in 5th. He also did it whilst getting to two Cup finals and winning one.

Im not saying that this season isn't horrible by his standards or any standard by the way. I'm saying he has had to deal with a feck ton that many of us don't know about and the injury and structural frailties are pretty massive weights on any coach. He's still been shite this season. But he was very good last season.

One bad season doesn't make a manager bad. He may not be the guy for us, and that's fine. But he's not a bad manager.
He's actively made it worse for himself though with poor tactics, poor subs and poor in game adjustments. Do you think our players weak mentality in crunch time doesn't on some level come from the manager as well?

He might not be bad but he is too stubborn to succeed at the very top level i think.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Under the right circumstances all our ex managers can do far better.

We should be realistic and stop wishing for SAF mark 2. Manager comes and go their life shelf is only 3-5 at max. We should be ready to cut our loss if they dont show massive improvement in 6 months.
I do support that notion to be honest. We should be quick to ditch managers like all other top clubs are.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's actively made it worse for himself though with poor tactics, poor subs and poor in game adjustments. Do you think our players weak mentality in crunch time doesn't on some level come from the manager as well?

He might not be bad but he is too stubborn to succeed at the very top level i think.
Im in agreement about tactics. Should have tweaked long ago. Although I'd like him to have one more season I have no arguments or complaints of he leaves, and it's for the reasons you highlighted.

Rista

You ask what are we doing here - we are appearing to be in a rabbit hole debate because some posters (not you to be fair) hate the man so much that they don't want anyone to say Ten Hag isnt a bad manager, even if they agree he's not going to be around for us.
No, it's just that it's completely irrelevant to Manchester United if he's a "bad" manager or not. It's deflecting from the real issue. I don't care if he's hired by Borussia or Ajax as his next job and does well for them. It doesn't change the fact that he's been serving shit on a stick football for over a year with us with some spectacularly bad results.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, it's just that it's completely irrelevant to Manchester United if he's a "bad" manager or not. It's deflecting from the real issue. I don't care if he's hired by Borussia or Ajax as his next job and does well for them. It doesn't change the fact that he's been serving shit on a stick football for over a year with us with some spectacularly bad results.
I don't think you've followed the points very well. You want him gone because of prolonged bad results and performances, I won't argue with that. It's just Not really related to what I said.

CM

Right, going back to the original point I made, which is echoing Rob Dawson, he's obviously not a "bad" manager just because he had one bad season.
That depends on your definition of bad. Plenty more decorated managers than Ten Hag have pretty poor reputations within the game now.

Maybe he won't be considered 'bad' in his next job depending on the level he comes back in at but it isn't unfair to suggest he's been bad at Man Utd.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I do support that notion to be honest. We should be quick to ditch managers like all other top clubs are.
Agree completely, its almost unheard of to get a Klopp or to have the set up that City have to get someone like pep in, SAF wasnt a once in a generation, he is once in a lifetime kids born today will not likely see a better manager than him so we are chasing an impossible dream if we think we will find another SAF. Never again, maybe in 200 years.

So I am of the opinion that managers should be given a max of 2 years to prove themselves but only if there are genuine signs that they need more time.

Not if they are 6 months in and we still cant anchor ourselves on a style, methodology or a tangible improvement we should simply cut ties and move on.

I actually think managers should only ever have 2 year contracts.

Marwood

Yes I think the final part of last season wasn't as good. That doesn't change the fact that he had a very good first season.
Well end of Feb onwards is quite a big chunk of the season.

And when those performances essentially carriy on for the entirety of the following season I don't think we should keep dismissing it by saying all of last season was very good. A good section of it wasn't.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I’d love to know how these ‘structural issues’ impact ETH’s team selection, tactical set up & in game management. All of which have been absolutely horrific all season. And all of which were pointed out could be a flaw of his before he even took the job by our resident Eredivisie followers.

It’s just another buzzword with no real meaning for his fans to hide behind while they bury their heads deeper and deeper in the sand. They’re losing the plot almost as much as he is.
They don't. When people mention 'structure' really what they are saying is better recruitment.

Rista

I don't think you've followed the points very well. You want him gone because of prolonged bad results and performances, I won't argue with that. It's just Not really related to what I said.
Rob Dawson wants to give him another year based on the conclusion that "he can't be a bad manager". It is irrelevant if he's a "bad" manager in absolute terms. The prolonged bad results and performances make him a bad manager for us. We've sacked "better" managers than him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
24​
15​
4​
5​
41​
28​
13​
49​
2.04​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
14​
8​
2​
4​
17​
15​
2​
26​
1.86​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
48​
24​
8​
16​
69​
66​
3​
80​
1.67​
You can see that it's been a downward spiral and our form since the Cup Win has really not been good. Yes in those 14 games we did manage to pick up a decent amount of points (Villa, City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool had higher Pts Per Game in the same range) but you can see the GD rot began at this point. It's simply continued and gotten worse this season. It's far more accurate to say that Ten Hag had a good first half of the season and the clubs good form ended with that Cup Win. Irrespective of reaching two finals, cup runs are not a good way to show a clubs progress and form.

69 goals in 48 games (1.4 pg) is horrendous.

Marwood

I'm amazed managers of the past managed to put out anything more than a Sunday League team given technical directors, directors of football etc. didn't even exist then. Never mind huge numbers of backroom staff and any game in the world available to watch from your office chair.

Fallon d'Floor

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
24​
15​
4​
5​
41​
28​
13​
49​
2.04​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
14​
8​
2​
4​
17​
15​
2​
26​
1.86​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
48​
24​
8​
16​
69​
66​
3​
80​
1.67​

Correct.

Kenny Dalglish reached The League Cup and FA Cup final in 2012, but their league form was poor. I was never in fear of Liverpool going anywhere under him. And, like ten Hag, their recuitment around that time was awful. They spent big money on Henderson, Downing, Adam, Carroll, etc. Only Henderson offered value long term.

Koeman won The Copa del Rey with Valencia in 2008, but was still sacked due to poor league form and performances.

Juande Ramos delivered a rare trophy for Spurs in 2008. They finished 11th in the league and he was moved on early the following season.

Solskjaer generally went on deep cup runs at United. Both domestically and in Europe. But I never felt that we were going anywhere with him in terms of eventually winning The PL or making a CL final.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is why I asked for this poll, @Raoul . I had a feeling it would provide different results to the last.

I believe, on the previous poll, 26% were in favour of keeping him on for another season. Now, there's around a 11% increase, so a fair few people who, in the previous poll, voted "no" in wanting him to get another season are fine with him at least seeing out this one.

If we had nothing to play for, I'd get it, but we have a final against City. I get the sentiment that he managed us to the final so he should get to actually manage us for it, and that it would be seen as "classless" to replace him just before it, but we have to be ruthless if we want to win trophies. In my opinion, anyway. If the 11% want him out eventually, I don't see why they'd want to leave our one chance at a trophy in his hands.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Bad means bad, regardless of injuries. I have never seen a manager who is so bad with signings. Antony is a expensive flop, Mount has zero impact in the games and even he is fit, ETH rather start Eriksen, Onana can be brilliant but yet conceding stupid goals, Malacia is injury for almost a season now, Martinez is another injury prone small CB that he buys, Hoijund is a young player not ready to lead the front line. Expensive Amrabat loan sitting on the bench. Aging and slow Casemiro and Eriksen. It is beyond words on the damage he has done in short 2 years. Hiring Ten Hag has set us back another 3 reason, we need a miracle to get back to winning way. Whoever replaced ETH will have their hands full with addressing the issues that he has created.

NLunited

This club has been run as a commercial milk cow for over a decade now; managers are hired and fired based on financial considerations, like attaining CL and having to accommodate ‚star‘ players that are over the hill but have commercial appeal.

We have barely begun the process of making football the priority, but it will take longer than a few years.

I don‘t believe this is being done to become more successful for the fans, but because the former approach won‘t get us CL football anymore because other teams are better run and performing better.

Atheist

During the 18/19 season, we had a similar number of injuries and finished 6th. https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/06/1...uries-each-club-suffered-during-201819-season

We also sacked Mourinho halfway through the season. I’m sure no one started using injuries as an excuse to give him another season, and we were also more decisive in taking action there. No one debates we were wrong to sack him. Injuries simply cannot be used as excuses to reward managers with another season at the helm. What if we have a similar number of injuries next year? Are we going to make similar excuses again?

Roboc7

Don't like the whole generic "this is what a good season at United should be". The club was in free fall before he came and there's very little that could be done to achieve and even stronger first year. Have better form at the end of the season? Yeah sure. Not have a terrible 45 vs Liverpool? Ok sure.
And now we’re back in free fall, heading for our worst ever Premier League season with the squad in as bad a state as when he joined and playing worst tactics we’ve seen since Moyes. All we’ve done is gone full circle and when he is sacked in the summer he’ll leave us in pretty much as big a mess as when he took over.

hobbers

Groundhog Day thread at its best delivering the groundhog day points.

You’d be forgiven for thinking we haven’t just played 3 poor championship sides in a row, two at OT and one at Wembley, and failed to beat two of them.

ItDoesntEvenMata

One thing that really turns me off Ten Hag (along with several others ) is this insistence that without injuries we'd be in the top 4.

That may well be true but I am presuming he's talking about having players available all the time who have been long-term injury issues for the club and throughout their careers,

Shaw, Varane, Martial, Rashford too for that matter

And then others like Martinez, Malacia, Eriksen who have been injured across two transfer windows and we've made no attempt to mitigate for.

To rely on these players season after season in the miraculous hope that they're not going to be permanently injured is naive and stupid.

Meanwhile, he's bought a player in Mount coming off a long term injury, got rid of our stable goalkeeper to try and integrate a new one and sold/loaned players who are generally always fit - Fred, Elanga, Williams. They might not be good enough to be starters but we've desperately needed squad players

Oldyella

Two years later and its still in free fall, after throwing £400 mill at the problem.

Lee565

I'm not buying the defensive injuries as an excuse for the state of our season, he messed up our left back issues in the transfer window this season and it has only been in the last few games where we have to play casimero there but at the same time has completely exposed our defence all season with his tactics allowing the opposition to easily walk through our midfield, something that may not have been as easy if we had fred's energy and legs in there.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Even with the injuries, the quality of players we have at our disposal should see us beat the likes of Burnley and Coventry without sweat. Problem is, the players have been set up to fail tactically.

ETH isn’t cut out for the EPL. He is a decent manager suited to a less aggressive and competitive landscape.

stevoc

Post is edited. By the way Melissa Reddy in the vid posted earlier also insinuates strongly he's had to deal with a feck ton that is probably not recognised in the right weight by casual fans, and that's why a lot at the club want him to succeed. He's not handling his defence well though.
When you said I don't know the impact structural issues have on team building. You made it sound like you did but fair enough.

Ten Hag isn't handling it well, but then he isn't dealing with anything particularly well this season.

Go back and look at where neutrals predicted the season - we were backed to be in top 4 by something like 8% of the predictions. You can also go back to the Overlap pre season stuff for fan sentiment, the standard skysports season predictors etc.

Not only did he walk top 4, with a very good tally (his first year had what, our 3rd highest point rank since SAF?), he also hit two finals and did manage to win a cup.

Neutrals predicted United to have a bad season?

No surprise there really, it doesn't change the point though that finishing top 4 or at least getting 70+ points should be the minimum we should expect in a league campaign from a manager given as I said the talent and resources at their disposal. It takes a seriously dogshit season of underperfromance like the current one to not achieve one or both. And yes granted we've had a few of those in the last decade.

stevoc

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
24​
15​
4​
5​
41​
28​
13​
49​
2.04​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
14​
8​
2​
4​
17​
15​
2​
26​
1.86​

Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts Per Game​
48​
24​
8​
16​
69​
66​
3​
80​
1.67​

Basically we had a new manager bounce.