Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

croadyman

I watched Girona against Madrid and they were good, but haven’t seen them consistently to have an opinion.

De Zerbi for me is changing like for like.

Tuchel is acceptable. We will win silverware under him, but his record doesn’t show that he is the right guy to build a project.

Three names are a big no for me: Pocchetino, Gareth “mediocrity” Southgate, and Harry Potter.
Why is Pochettino a big no just out of interest, he wouldn't be my choice either but trying to understand your point of view

colombianmancunian

Why is Pochettino a big no just out of interest, he wouldn't be my choice either but trying to understand your point of view
He hasn’t won anything of note in England, having the best spurs side in a long time, and didn’t reach top four with a Chelsea squad that has spent a lot.

croadyman

He hasn’t won anything of note in England, having the best spurs side in a long time, and didn’t reach top four with a Chelsea squad that has spent a lot.
They should have won league in 15/16 but that defeat at home to Leicester was crucial, he started to get that Chelsea team firing towards end of season but admittedly too late

JeffFromHK

why the heck the club needs 10 days' meeting to decide if the manager is to be kept or not. It is darn stupid, slow down our transfer market moves, and hurts the relationship with ETH even if we decide to keep him in the end

incompetence at the highest level

JonIrenicus

Give Poch the same Ajax team ETH had, he’d win 4 Eredivisies and do better in the CLs.
That's extremely debatable considering he failed to win the league with PSG and Ajax were definitely not a force to be reckoned in in the Eredevisie prior to Ten Hag. They failed to win the league like 5-6 times before ETH? Ridiculous to say Poch managed to do better considering he bottled a one team league and didn't exactly bring all the glory at PSG in the cups or in the league. On that note, why the hell would we be going for a manager who just had a WORSE season than ETH and hasn't won shit throughout his career? This is just mind-boggingly stupid. Might as well just get Ole back.

one340

why the heck the club needs 10 days' meeting to decide if the manager is to be kept or not. It is darn stupid, slow down our transfer market moves, and hurts the relationship with ETH even if we decide to keep him in the end

incompetence at the highest level
I think it has more to do with the fact that Ten Hag is on holiday. If they were to sack him, poor taste to do it over email or a phone call while he's on vacation....

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If you're so worried about incompetence, could it not be:

a) The journalists who reported he would be sacked has just gotten it wrong.
b) The club are going to keep him for another season.
c) The review is completed.

All parties want to move on and have started planning for next season.

Lyng

Why not come out and say so?

M16Red

Give Poch the same Ajax team ETH had, he’d win 4 Eredivisies and do better in the CLs.
Bollocks, when Eth took over in Jan 2017/18 they were a mess the team that had already been eliminated from the domestic cup, as well as the qualifying rounds of the Champions League and Europa League

Poch didn't even win the league1 with PSG.

JeffFromHK

Bollocks, when Eth took over in Jan 2017/18 they were a mess the team that had already been eliminated from the domestic cup, as well as the qualifying rounds of the Champions League and Europa League

Poch didn't even win the league1 with PSG.
yes, people love talking like Ajax can easily walk to the champions in the dutch league
but indeed it had not been winning the league for 4 years before his arrival. ETH won the league in all full seasons he had, and then after ETH left, Ajax failed to win the league again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AFC_Ajax_seasons

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
People seriously overestimate Ajax dominancen in the Dutch league and Ajax as a European force this century..

ETH worker wonders at Ajax and it probably the 3rd most impactfull Ajax coaches ever with Michels and Van Gaal

stevoc

A month ago or even couple of weeks ago felt to me like we'd surely go for Tuchel or Poch (or McKenna). Now all the other big clubs got their manager (Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea) and we won the Cup so who knows, maybe they'll just trigger that additional year in his contract and then sack him as some point next season if we're shite.

Dragging this out longer than this week would be really poor. Hopefully we'll know the decision in few days.
Would be a bad business move to extend his contract when you don't need to if theres a chance you might sack him shortly after.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Would be a bad business move to extend his contract when you don't need to if theres a chance you might sack him shortly after.
We need to do that or else he will walk.

Uncle Mainoo

People seriously overestimate Ajax dominancen in the Dutch league and Ajax as a European force this century..

ETH worker wonders at Ajax and it probably the 3rd most impactfull Ajax coaches ever with Michels and Van Gaal
“In 2010, Frank de Boer was appointed manager of Ajax and led the club to its first league title in seven years, and record 30th title overall, in the 2010–11 season. This was followed by back-to-back wins in 2011–12 and 2012–13 to match his three consecutive titles as a player in the 1990s. In 2013–14, Ajax was again Eredivisie champions, winning four consecutive league titles for the first time in club history.[23] After finishing as runner-up to PSV in both 2014–15 and 2015–16, de Boer resigned as Ajax head coach in May 2016.”

Just to add context as like people mentioned before ETH was appointed, it’s not much different to what De Boer achieved and he lasted 4weeks probably less at Inter Milan because they couldn’t believe how poor he was. We should all be aware what happened at Crystal Palace too.

This was always ETH potential red flag and he hasn’t really done things from a coaching perspective to suggest much different.

Judas

Open to offers

I get this line of thinking, but they're not in a bubble, they can see the speculation, they can see the fuss throughout the media, there's no logical reason to leave it to linger, if it's decided, it's better for everyone to make that firmly clear.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
. The club had ample opportunity to end the rumors around ETH. They chose to leak information that they are interviewing new managers instead. As Phil Brown said I'll l be surprised if ETH survives all this.

AndySmith1990

My guess is that he is going to stay.
If he wasn't he would of been already sacked.
It can go both ways and you can say if he's staying we'd have already heard.

Either way the matter needs to be clarified soon. It's not a good look to allow the speculation to drag on

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Either way the matter needs to be clarified soon. It's not a good look to allow the speculation to drag on
There’s no real obligation to inform the public about him staying though. He’s currently employed by the club, we can just carry on as it is.

I think he’s staying now, there was a short period of time near cup final where I was almost convinced he would go but I think the outcome of that game has changed INEOS decision (or it had already been this, just press was incorrect in presuming he’s gone).

We just need to make sure we get a list of players that he needs from him and do our best to provide him with as many of them as possible over the course of Summer.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Fairly confident that it won’t be Southgate just from a purely logistical point of view.

We’d have to wait probably at least another month for him to take charge which can’t be allowed to happen.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Possible also, but I guess they decide to let the dust settle on the season and make the announcement during the Euro's, then the focus of the fans is shifted elsewhere.

I agree but we are run how we are run. I'm afraid that will happen to our transfers aswell, we never learn and we will wait our first 2 losses in the first 2 games in order to get someone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why the feck are we talking about Southgate? It won't be Southgate so stop fear mongering.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Interesting that people here seem to be convincing themselves that ETH could stay on without the club putting out some kind of media briefing. I don't think there is any way that happens.

He is going into the final year of his contract and if he is to stay on the back of so much speculation, without a new contract, it would just seem the board are looking for an opportunity to sack him in the next 12 months. If he is to stay, he will surely have to be given at least a 1 year extension, otherwise it seriously undermines his position. Plus after all this speculation, the club will need to let their usual mouthpieces know they're backing him to stay, if indeed he is staying.

I still think it's likely he goes and this radio silence is us trying to find his replacement. But if he does stay we can't take the stick your head in the sand approach and just let him continue without putting out some kind of media brief.

Judas

Open to offers
There's zero chance if Ten Hag is sacked now, it'll be Southgate, that's just common sense. If he stays and is sacked in a few months time? Then, it's obviously a possibility.

essao

He doesn’t need to care, he doesn’t have to be aware of club’s finances or even be familiar with transfer fees.

In fact he may not even know value of money or be familiar with the exchange rate (he’s a football coach not a banker). So even if he were told a certain player was going to cost a certain amount of money but got quoted price in £, he may have not known how much it is in €, a currency he will have been more familiar with.

If we had wanted someone who would have been conscious about those things we would have hired a financial analyst.
Ha ha...more mental gymnastics to defend this fraud of a manager.The next thing we will hear is how hard he found it hard to do grocery shopping in England because he had to get used to the new currency and this is why he did not challenge for the title.

It boggles the mind the things people say to justify the failures of Ten Hag especially now with the cup win.If he survives(and he shouldn't)people should prepare for more excuses next season-and this 'classy' fanbase will lap it all up.Meanwhile Don Carlo will still be expected to take Real Madrid at least to the semifinal of the CL and win another La Liga title,or else.....

RedChisel

I hope if he is staying then there is no announcement and he just rocks up next season bold (bald) as brass. feck the media, they'd be tying themselves in knots and writing all kinds of ridiculous articles trying to guess what's going on.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope if he is staying then there is no announcement and he just rocks up next season bold (bald) as brass. feck the media, they'd be tying themselves in knots and writing all kinds of ridiculous articles trying to guess what's going on.
It's not all about the media though, what about the fanbase who don't have any idea what's happening? With the whole INEOS situation, its just not the best look. Especially when they're meant to be about communicating with the fans better than the Glazers.

RedChisel

It's not all about the media though, what about the fanbase who don't have any idea what's happening? With the whole INEOS situation, its just not the best look. Especially when they're meant to be about communicating with the fans better than the Glazers.
Fair point although I'm only speaking for what I'd personally like to see. I fully expect them to put a statement out one way or the other and agree it would be crazy if they didn't.

FortunaUtd

Absolutely, the club will need to let the fans and the public know what is going on. But if Ten Hag stays it might no be a club statement but a wide range press briefing.

essao

There’s no real obligation to inform the public about him staying though. He’s currently employed by the club, we can just carry on as it is.

I think he’s staying now, there was a short period of time near cup final where I was almost convinced he would go but I think the outcome of that game has changed INEOS decision (or it had already been this, just press was incorrect in presuming he’s gone).

We just need to make sure we get a list of players that he needs from him and do our best to provide him with as many of them as possible over the course of Summer.
His only 'successful' signing is Martinez and you want him to be indulged again? So fans want more expensive duds like Anthony? What is it with Ten Hag that he is able to hoodwink so many people?

Last edited: