Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hopefully he won't start Mainoo vs Crystal Palace. Eriksen, Ugarte, Casemiro should play with Fernandes, Rashford, Garnacho.

I don't think you can drop Amad at the minute.

I think it'll be Maino, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford, Zirkzee, Amad (Ugarte, Garnacho and hopefully Rasmus from the bench)

If we win and play somewhat convincingly in our next 3/4 games then I might rethink my position on him. Think Palace, Twente and Spurs is a decent test.

I did not fundamentally change my statement. It‘s factually incorrect to state we conceded a big amount of goals, because we conceded less than our direct competitors.

I also called you out on purely negative posting, by which I stand as well.

You implied he said it was a catastrophic number of goals. He didn’t say that. Therefore implying that is dishonest.

The patterns of play are emerging! Love to see it.

The patterns of play have been there since pre season to be honest.

Our problem thus far has been finishing and not being clinical enough. The last two games gives hope that maybe it's starting to click for the front 3?

We should have beaten or at least drawn with Brighton if not for a freak offside.

Two individual errors from Casemiro pretty much gifted Liverpool a win.

I don't think it's all that bad to be honest.

A big win against anyone right now is far from predictable as we're shit, to be blunt. You can say we should be beating these teams by a wide margin, which is correct, but the pathetic truth is we've not looked remotely capable of doing so for years. It's not predictable that we'd comfortably beat a league one team, which is terrible, but that's reality of where we are sadly.

Your posts don't come across as someone who was able to just switch off and enjoy a nice relaxing win in the league cup, maybe you did, but your tone suggests overwise.
Except we're not shit, we're a very expensively assembled side who should be achieving a top 4 finish most seasons with ease, and we absolutely should be dispatching teams like Barnsley. We have some very, very capable players, so when you put a team of this calibre out against a League One side you expect a hammering. I feel for any manager of a big club in this situation because anything less than a resounding win draws criticism, and that's the same all over the world, it isn't exclusive to Ten Hag and Manchester United.

We have though, the reason Ten Hag is still here is because we occasionally look like we have our shit together, but as I said, it's predictably against teams that are way off our level. As soon as we come up against a team that is organised and knows how to play against us we look all at sea.

I enjoyed the game last night, I enjoyed it as much as anyone could watching your team score 7 pretty routine goals against a League One side who couldn't get close to our players in the final 3rd, it could have been 10 or more. But lets face it, it's job done stuff, not lap of honour for a famous win stuff, so if it seems like I'm disappointed, I'm not, it's just tick the box and move on to the next game. It's not even a Ten Hag thing, we beat Southampton under Ole 9-0. We enjoyed it, we expected a win, we moved on right away, same for this game.

If we manage to batter Palace this weekend I'll be pleasantly surprised, because this is the type of game we usually struggle in. There's no suggestion we've turned a corner yet so I can't relax going into games because our performances are predictable based on who the opposition are. So until that changes, it feels very much like business as usual for United and Ten Hag.

Early days but it does seem we're getting better overall in terms of shots for and against, more touches in the oppositions box. Perhaps United of last season would've made hard work of Barnsley. We saw some cool finishing and players trying to assist early like Garnacho and Rashford.

Great win, incredibly predictable though. I have a feeling our next set of games will go exactly as we expect them too also. Not really much to say on tonight's game other than an emphatic win from a side that have a lot more firepower than the other.
You sound so disappointed

To be fair we’re trying a lot more cutbacks in the last few games than we did last season I think, that can’t be random or a coincidence. It might seem small, but it’s something.
I think we've always had this type of passing game and showed glimpses of it in both seasons, the main difference is that it actually worked yesterday because Barnsley tried to go forward and left space behind. Another factor is that Amad is playing more this season and his style is a bit different. Palace away should be a reasonable test to see if this was a coincidence, they are usually well drilled but aren't as good as they were last season. And then two home games after that should see us picking up more confidence. We should have an decent run until December, then we'll see where we are really at.

I'm pretty sure Palace would have done similar to a terrible Barnsley side. Saturday will be a marker of whether anything has really changed.

Yeah, the part where I said "Great win" wreaks of disappointment...

Just read what you want to read I guess.
Reeks and yeah, the following sentences say a lot more than that one.

People will see or not see what they want. Its pretty clear we have patterns of play and a style of play. We just haven't always done it to a good standard.
Whatever our style of play was last season was utter trash. We looked like we had either not been coached or been coached to play badly.

The last two games have been a huge improvement though. It was very evident against Southampton. Hope it continues.

Not what I was referring too to be fair. What exactly do people have to complain about from last night?

Caftards will always complain. If ETH comes good it will be comedy gold for years quoting all the people demanding he be sacked.

I hope he abandons playing on transition as his focus and start buying midfielders if hes still here next window to make sure we will never be in a 1 man midfield positon anymore.

Reeks and yeah, the following sentences say a lot more than that one.

Whatever our style of play was last season was utter trash. We looked like we had either not been coached or been coached to play badly.

The last two games have been a huge improvement though. It was very evident against Southampton. Hope it continues.

Not really been much of a difference between the way we shaped up this season and how we shaped up last season. We still have quite often a lone CM in the middle, the playing out from the back is the same, we pressed with 4 players up top throughout most of the season, the attacking patterns of play are pretty similar. Those who scream there is no style/patterns of play etc are conflating having a style of play and implementing a style of play good. The players clearly are starting to (at least on the limited information of 6 games) carry out the instructions better, that may or may not also be influenced by introducing more players to the squad who are comfortable doing it and also is likely influenced by having key players fit. We will see if this continues throughout the season, whether we can build a run and see where a squad with confidence takes us with these tactics.

Caftards will always complain. If ETH comes good it will be comedy gold for years quoting all the people demanding he be sacked.
If we can start making other teams look like Barnsley, I wood genuinely look forward to this.

Says a lot more about your expectations if you didn't expect United, or any other PL club fielding a full strength team, to beat a bad Barnsley side.
When was the last time we scored 5 let alone 7, so don't think it was expected of us to beat any team 7-0. I expected us to win 2 or 3-1 so it was refreshing to see a good display.

Yeah, the part where I said "Great win" wreaks of disappointment...

Just read what you want to read I guess.
It's such a pathetic argument to say to anyone that is bothered enough to waste their time posting on here is 'disappointed' (or similar) when we win.

Says a lot more about your expectations if you didn't expect United, or any other PL club fielding a full strength team, to beat a bad Barnsley side.

I don't think I've ever expected us to beat a side 7-0.

I fully expected us to beat Southampton and Barnsley, but not by an aggregate score of 10-0.

If we can start making other teams look like Barnsley, I wood genuinely look forward to this.
There's a long way to go but I feel like we're really not as bad as the drama queen 80% would have us believe. Yes Arsenal, Liverpool and CIty are in a different league but I don't think fourth is a mad ambition for the season.

When was the last time we scored 5 let alone 7, so don't think it was expected of us to beat any team 7-0. I expected us to win 2 or 3-1 so it was refreshing to see a good display.

I don't think I've ever expected us to beat a side 7-0.

I fully expected us to beat Southampton and Barnsley, but not by an aggregate score of 10-0.
Who said anything about expecting us to win 7-0? I said I expected us to win by a margin, as in a scoreline like 3-0. We were clinical but Barnsley gave us time and space in their entire half. The result wasn't expected, but the beating a League One team convincingly isn't a surprise folks.

Who said anything about expecting us to win 7-0? I said I expected us to win by a margin, as in a scoreline like 3-0. We were clinical but Barnsley gave us time and space in their entire half. The result wasn't expected, but the beating a League One team convincingly isn't a surprise folks.

You described a 7-0 win as "incredibly predictable".

Take a day off.

I expected us to win but based on the last 18 months, we pretty much never do total domination and we’ve played some abysmal teams in that time. So no, nothing about yesterday was predictable. Loved it.

So playing our reserve GK, 3rd and 4th choice CBs, a kid at LB who as far as I know has never played there before, a new player making his debut as a starter is a full strength team these days?

I think we'll struggle this season as well, but mostly due to having a squad in development. I also still have faith in Ten Hag and think he should be kept.
We have several positions where we are an injury away from having a massive drop in quality, and unless our luck changes massively on injuries, I expect this to hold us away from Champions League football next season. The squad is developing in the right direction, and the attitudes Ten Hag is instilling in our very young squad will be good for the players.

Get wanting a new manager, especially for those who have one in mind that they really believe in.
But with that said, I think a lot of people, in general, not specifically on the caf, are looking too much at money spent and not enough on the squad's strengths & weaknesses+challenges.

So playing our reserve GK, 3rd and 4th choice CBs, a kid at LB who as far as I know has never played there before, a new player making his debut as a starter is a full strength team these days?

He just wants to be miserable about Manchester United until Ten Hag is sacked.

By no stretch of the imagination is Bayindir in goal, a centre-back pairing of Maguire and Evans, Collyer at left-back, a midfield containing Casemiro and Eriksen, and an attack starting with Antony on the right and Rashford as the centre-forward our "full-strength" team.

He's also outright denying that he called a 7-0 win "incredibly predictable", even though it's right there for everyone to see.

Yes, the "win" - was - "predictable". I'm not sure why that statement is blowing your mind. Find the quote where I said "winning 7-0" was a predictable result and I hated it.

I know you're struggling with this for some reason, but some of us expect Manchester United to beat League One teams convincingly. Maybe it's the 26 years of unadulterated success? Maybe my expectations for the biggest club in the world are skewed?

Seeing as you're picking and choosing to quote me without actually reading what I've posted in between, you can read my previous quote also:

Except we're not shit, we're a very expensively assembled side who should be achieving a top 4 finish most seasons with ease, and we absolutely should be dispatching teams like Barnsley. We have some very, very capable players, so when you put a team of this calibre out against a League One side you expect a hammering. I feel for any manager of a big club in this situation because anything less than a resounding win draws criticism, and that's the same all over the world, it isn't exclusive to Ten Hag and Manchester United.

We have though, the reason Ten Hag is still here is because we occasionally look like we have our shit together, but as I said, it's predictably against teams that are way off our level. As soon as we come up against a team that is organised and knows how to play against us we look all at sea.

I enjoyed the game last night, I enjoyed it as much as anyone could watching your team score 7 pretty routine goals against a League One side who couldn't get close to our players in the final 3rd, it could have been 10 or more. But lets face it, it's job done stuff, not lap of honour for a famous win stuff, so if it seems like I'm disappointed, I'm not, it's just tick the box and move on to the next game. It's not even a Ten Hag thing, we beat Southampton under Ole 9-0. We enjoyed it, we expected a win, we moved on right away, same for this game.

If we manage to batter Palace this weekend I'll be pleasantly surprised, because this is the type of game we usually struggle in. There's no suggestion we've turned a corner yet so I can't relax going into games because our performances are predictable based on who the opposition are. So until that changes, it feels very much like business as usual for United and Ten Hag.

No you're right, I'm not sure how a combined defence worth £135m could possible have held their own against the mighty Barnsley :lol: