Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why do these polls always gradually soften over the days?

Obviously it’s still a huge majority who would back but every day it gets a few percent smaller

So people wait a couple of days and then realise that they like the pain and want it again?
At least some will be opposition fans.

I never said they're fact. I said they are way more credible than you and they're not the only ones who said this

More credible than someone who isn't claiming to know anything as fact, well obviously. :confused:

Il ask again, multiple tier one sources have explained how INEOS work and not just Athletic, but Teg Hag and other journalists have corroborated each other.

Are you saying they're all wrong? And you're right because of your wonderful analysis that a couple of them are Dutch so there's no way INEOS could have endorsed them?

Here we go again, you definitely need to work on your comnprehension mate. I've said on multiple occasions that I don't know for certain what's going on behind the scenes and I only have suspicions.

Move on.

He would be stupid if he didn't know that and he isn't stupid. He is very sure of himself though. I suspect the transfer thing was a matter of principle more than anything. Realistically it's always going to be difficult to buy a player the head coach won't select. Sancho's brief return was proof of that.

I'm not so sure deluding himself into thinking his job was secure would make him stupid to be honest.

What is the style of play? I can’t personally see one

The style is in attack based on a quick vertical passing game in order to beat the opposition during transition and in defense it's a mid block with central pressing from the forwards.

The style is in attack based on a quick vertical passing game in order to beat the opposition during transition and in the defense it's a mid block with central pressing from the forwards.
Yeah that’s what I thought, just wanted to be sure…

The ‚no style of play‘ trope is tiring, we have a clear style of play.

We do absolutely have a squad that can get top four. But it is not a given. First we have to turn our form around, score goals, get confidence.

Well most Sunday league teams will have a way that they play or try to play.

Usually when people use that as a criticism they are using it as short hand for "ineffectual and illogical style of play" which would be more accurate for us.

Well most Sunday league teams will have a way that they play or try to play.

Usually when people use that as a criticism they are using it as short hand for "ineffectual and illogical style of play" which would be more accurate for us.

Exactly. We have a style of play but we are not good at it. And we are not good at it due to how it is implemented and executed.

Again you are assuming that the next manager has to be perfect, which is not the case or criteria.

Ineos (not me) can fire ETH, put RVN in place, remove him and get another manager, remove him and get another, until they are satisfied.
As long as Ineos (not me again) are confident of how they want the team to play and perform, what kind of players they want in the team, what kind of managers they want, they can fire managers who are not doing their jobs.
Strange how some can't grasp this simple fact.

People like this have short memories. We were awful under Ole and we weren’t a stable team, it was always going to unravel and it did in spectacular style. Ole was one of the worst things to happen to this club in terms of management, arguably the worst manager we’ve ever had.
We finished 2nd and 3rd in the league under him, scored more goals and played better football than any of his predecessors or successors in the post-Ferguson era. You can make the argument that none of those managers were good enough, and that may well be a valid argument, but the only part of the Ole run that was awful was that final season after Ronaldo joined.

Saying he was one of the worst things to happen to this club when Moyes happened, Mourinho blew up and the likes of Rangnick and Ten Hag have stunk it up since is hyperbolic nonsense.

The style is in attack based on a quick vertical passing game in order to beat the opposition during transition and in defense it's a mid block with central pressing from the forwards.

You ain't wrong but get the ball forward as quickly as possibly and win the ball back as quickly as possible is almost too simple to be considered a style of play (in my book). It's playground rules hidden behind football terminology.

The ‚no style of play‘ trope is tiring, we have a clear style of play.

We do absolutely have a squad that can get top four. But it is not a given. First we have to turn our form around, score goals, get confidence.
I am not sure our squad is good enough for top 4.

City, liverpool and arsenal squads are better by far (and with better managers too).

How many united players will get in Aston villa first x11? Lisandro and maybe Bruno?
How many in Newcastles? The same 2+ De Ligt?

Ten Hag is not only very poor in tactics, but his eye for talent is embarrassing.

600m in 2 years and we are stuck without a capable striker, pensioner in the middle and a clown goalkeeper. Depressing

You ain't wrong but get the ball forward as quickly as possibly and win the ball back as quickly as possible is almost too simple to be considered a style of play (in my book). It's playground rules hidden behind football terminology.

Kind of but a style is in fact the simplistic description. Within styles you have a multitude of tactical goals and tendencies. Anyone should be able to spot a style within minutes, tactics and strategies within a style are what requires more time and precision.

Winning a cup means very little if you have us playing piss poor football, no identity, no visible plan, stubborn/poor game management, zero charisma etc.

Should have been sacked before the summer and every day that is delayed, the hole we're digging for ourselves is getting deeper.
ETH has without any doubt managed us the worst since Fergie. Yes, even worse than Moyes.

That post match presser on Sunday is a new low when it comes to embarrassing and delusional moments in sports management.

Well the point was that things can be dressed up a certain way when you have an agenda.....

"Maguire was my no1 priority target" - Solskjaer.

I don't know was under Ineos the same this summer (who called the shots) but Ole and Erik (under Arnold) had full autonomy for transfers. It has been said many times and it is nothing new.

Maguire was the target, but Woodward was the one who negotiated badly, and it's on Woodward that we spent so much on him when we could have gotten him a year before under the previous manager for about £30-40m cheaper.

Antony was the same thing, Murtough baulked at the ~€60m price tag, couldn't provide any workable alternatives, and panicked and went back for Antony when Ajax were in a much stronger position and was forced to pay over €90m.

Fortunately, it looks like we won't have to put up with that kind of approach any more.

We clearly have a coaching issue and I say that as someone who has always backed ETH. Even keeping aside the individual errors by Casemiro, surely it has to be coaching instructions to find a line breaking pass immediately after gaining possession.

The coaching and structure have to suit the players who are on the pitch and not so wedded to a structure that everything else is disregarded.

The issue here is how damaging would another wasted season be to the club's finances and progression? If we aim, as per SJR timeframe, to be fighting for the title within three years can we really afford to let Ten Hag see out the season no matter what because we are waiting for the theoretical top manager who will be the knight in shining armor? We need to take action if form doesn't improve by the next international window, Ineos get a pass for dithering in the summer but now they need to be more decisive. We also need INEOS to appreciate that pride and reputational cost of making a U-turn on a terrible decision isn't worth the cost of another terrible season wasted on a failed manager.

That's a fair point, there is potentially a cost to keeping ETH if we don't improve. So it's about balancing that cost with the cost of other scenarios, such as a caretaker coming in and taking us even further south, as our most recent caretaker did, or permanent manager coming in and achieving largely the same result, but being expensive to move on if they we don't see them as a long term target, etc.

Really it's all a balancing act, my opinion is that I don't see anyone immediately attainable, who is willing to come in as a caretaker, who will improve things (football wise yes, but the pressure would crush the vast majority of applicants).

If we can convince Nagelsmann though, I'm all aboard.

Obviously it’s still a huge majority who would sack but every day it gets a few percent smaller

Do people wait a couple of days and then realise that they like the pain and want it again?
:lol:

Maguire was the target, but Woodward was the one who negotiated badly, and it's on Woodward that we spent so much on him when we could have gotten him a year before under the previous manager for about £30-40m cheaper.

Antony was the same thing, Murtough baulked at the ~€60m price tag, couldn't provide any workable alternatives, and panicked and went back for Antony when Ajax were in a much stronger position and was forced to pay over €90m.

Fortunately, it looks like we won't have to put up with that kind of approach any more.
The managers would have been briefed about the prices and could have said no to have used such a big % of the transfer kitty.
If you somehow think that every big news agency and even the cafes transfer forum know the prices but the manager is left out of the loop then I dont know that to tell you.

We finished 2nd and 3rd in the league under him, scored more goals and played better football than any of his predecessors or successors in the post-Ferguson era. You can make the argument that none of those managers were good enough, and that may well be a valid argument, but the only part of the Ole run that was awful was that final season after Ronaldo joined.

Saying he was one of the worst things to happen to this club when Moyes happened, Mourinho blew up and the likes of Rangnick and Ten Hag have stunk it up since is hyperbolic nonsense.
You clearly have forgotten all context within those seasons. We had many dark moments and you’re living in denial. League finishes didn’t tell the full story like how we were 14 points behind city at the end of the season we finished second after being top around Christmas…

Sounds like you’re trying to shift the blame on Ronaldo to block out the reality Ole is a shit manager.

He couldn’t coach so he played a low block and counter and hoped no one noticed. He also destroyed the dressing room by promoting a toxic atmosphere and empowering losers. He lied to players and selected out of form players with injuries over superior players.

I could go on but a simple google search could remind you. Our rivals loved Ole.

Zidane and Del Bosque would then be classified as highly unqualified according to your logic. Yet we know that football success doesn't follow the linear reasoning you are attempting to apply here - we will never know but hindsight suggests that if we had kept Carrick after Ole there is a big chance that he'd have done better than Ragnick but because we got burnt by another decision on a caretaker we didn't pursue it.

There is a new wave of managerial talent emerging who are very exciting but would get no chance in an organization under you. Football isn't about recruiting an HR staffer, many unheralded people get chances at the highest level and perform above expectations. Erik was once such a guy and he has failed to capitalize on his big break.

Ten Hag wasn't unheralded at all, he had an impressive CV from Ajax to point to, a club with very high expectations at least domestically who hadn't been on top for a while, and he put them back at the top resoundingly. He also had experience in the coaching atmosphere at Bayern, a club with similarly high expectations and pressure as we have at United. This wasn't a big break, it was a step up, one that made sense as his record pointed to a reasonably good chance that he'd be be successful. He also reportedly was really impressive during the interview process. It certainly wasn't out of nowhere.

I'd be absolutely fine appointing someone from the new wave of managerial talent that you speak of, as long as there's a sensible case to be made that they could handle the job and make a success of it.

The managers would have been briefed about the prices and could have said no to have used such a big % of the transfer kitty.
If you somehow think that every big news agency and even the cafes transfer forum know the prices but the manager is left out of the loop then I dont know that to tell you.

Well of course, offering the manager a choice between their main target for a silly price or nobody at all is going to result in them picking the former. That isn't a gotcha.

This club has burned through money due to Woodward's and subsequently Murtough's awful approaches. It's not a manager's job in the modern game to be a scouting system, they generally aren't good at it, that's why it's important to have a structure around them to help with stuff like that (which we now have, and have seen the rewards almost immediately).

That's a fair point, there is potentially a cost to keeping ETH if we don't improve. So it's about balancing that cost with the cost of other scenarios, such as a caretaker coming in and taking us even further south, as our most recent caretaker did, or permanent manager coming in and achieving largely the same result, but being expensive to move on if they we don't see them as a long term target, etc.

Really it's all a balancing act, my opinion is that I don't see anyone immediately attainable, who is willing to come in as a caretaker, who will improve things (football wise yes, but the pressure would crush the vast majority of applicants).

If we can convince Nagelsmann though, I'm all aboard.
No one knows how anyone will perform given all the intricacies involved. Sometimes it's just plain luck, Wenger had a bigger coaching pedigree than Zidane but only one is going down in history as a multiple CL winning coach. There was no scientific method by which one could reasonably argue that Zidane was the right pick.

For all we know we could appoint Nicky Butt and he will shock the world. There is no settled science on this but what has always been clear is that a failing manager must leave and new ideas implemented by someone else. Wasn't Kovacic Flick's boss? But who is now getting jobs with the NT and Barca whilst the other is in the glue factory?

Alonso and McKenna may have let their big break pass them by when they didn't make their big moves. This season may not be so great for them and by this time next year there are new kids on the block. That's how football is both magical, fickle and cruel. A player touted for big things gets injured and another takes his place then blows up.

You can mention the style of play or lack of but when you have players like Rashford it won’t work. Alls it takes is 1 bad egg and the system fails or doesn’t work consistently. When the style works though we look really good. We seen glimpses in the Final when we passed through city, played 1 long direct pass and we score a beautiful team goal. The players mentality is a big issue.

Again you are assuming that the next manager has to be perfect, which is not the case or criteria.

Ineos (not me) can fire ETH, put RVN in place, remove him and get another manager, remove him and get another, until they are satisfied.
As long as Ineos (not me again) are confident of how they want the team to play and perform, what kind of players they want in the team, what kind of managers they want, they can fire managers who are not doing their jobs.

Honestly I don't know how many times I have to correct this strawman, it's getting silly. At no point am I assuming the next manager has to be perfect, I just think some thought should be put into the decision, and we should appoint someone with a record that suggests they could do the job here.

You're right about what INEOS can do, but managers can take us backwards as well as forwards, just throwing them at the problem could mean we take longer to get back to the top. Fortunately, INEOS don't seem to be as reactionary as folks on here would like, and so are sticking with the manager until they've identified a replacement that we can reasonably expect will improve things.

Honestly I don't know how many times I have to correct this strawman, it's getting silly. At no point am I assuming the next manager has to be perfect, I just think some thought should be put into the decision, and we should appoint someone with a record that suggests they could do the job here.

You're right about what INEOS can do, but managers can take us backwards as well as forwards, just throwing them at the problem could mean we take longer to get back to the top. Fortunately, INEOS don't seem to be as reactionary as folks on here would like, and so are sticking with the manager until they've identified a replacement that we can reasonably expect will improve things.
Well the current one is taking us backwards more than anyone could imagine, so the odds are the next one could perhaps at very least slow down that process. Honestly I would expect virtually anyone to be a better option now and at least stop causing further damage. We are already the laughing stock of everyone anyway so may as well appoint Allardyce.

No one knows how anyone will perform given all the intricacies involved. Sometimes it's just plain luck, Wenger had a bigger coaching pedigree than Zidane but only one is going down in history as a multiple CL winning coach. There was no scientific method by which one could reasonably argue that Zidane was the right pick.

For all we know we could appoint Nicky Butt and he will shock the world. There is no settled science on this but what has always been clear is that a failing manager must leave and new ideas implemented by someone else. Wasn't Kovacic Flick's boss? But who is now getting jobs with the NT and Barca whilst the other is in the glue factory?

Alonso and McKenna may have let their big break pass them by when they didn't make their big moves. This season may not be so great for them and by this time next year there are new kids on the block. That's how football is both magical, fickle and cruel. A player touted for big things gets injured and another takes his place then blows up.

Zidane had a very important feather in his cap that very few managers do though, particularly for the Madrid job, in that he was a club legend and would immediately command the respect of the huge egos in the dressing room, which was particularly important at the time as Benitez received very little respect from them. It was a gamble, yes, but there was some thinking behind it.

Not very many of the long shots work out though, we tried the same with Ole, who again had the same effect on the dressing room by virtue of being a legendary figure within the club, but he hit a ceiling in terms of how far he could take us, and we didn't really progress under him in terms of the squad or style of play, so it amounted to effectively a waste of 3 years in our quest to get back to the top. We're running out of time we can waste by making more flawed appointments.

So many of the 'next big things' have failed over the years as well. Villas Boas was touted as next Mourinho and his career at the top was quite short lived in the end. De Boer looked brilliant at Ajax and failed miserably at Inter and even Palace. Laudrup was once considered among top coaching talents while at Swansea and even linked with United. Marco Silva failed at Everton after looking brilliant with Watford.

ETH himself is on that list, he seemed great at Ajax.

Brings in a bunch of ex ajax/dutch players…

Ten hag isn’t the

People like this have short memories. We were awful under Ole and we weren’t a stable team, it was always going to unravel and it did in spectacular style. Ole was one of the worst things to happen to this club in terms of management, arguably the worst manager we’ve ever had.

Hmm I think on average Ten Hag and Moyes are worse pretty clearly, even if I had huge issues with Ole. I guess you can point to the cup wins to put ETH above but I would rather watch an Ole team over a Ten Hag team any day and he was generally much more consistent in the league until the Ronaldo year meltdown.

Obviously it’s still a huge majority who would sack but every day it gets a few percent smaller

Do people wait a couple of days and then realise that they like the pain and want it again?

It's actually worse when we scrape a piss poor win and it wildly sways.

Up to 30% after we grab a last minute equalizer against Southampton. Corner turned.

40% if we win after last minute fluke goal, having been battered all game long.

So many of the 'next big things' have failed over the years as well. Villas Boas was touted as next Mourinho and his career at the top was quite short lived in the end. De Boer looked brilliant at Ajax and failed miserably at Inter and even Palace. Laudrup was once considered among top coaching talents while at Swansea and even linked with United. Marco Silva failed at Everton after looking brilliant with Watford.

De Boer was sacked after 5 games at Palace. It's wild that our club loves to play the long game with managers who clearly aren't good enough.

Some tend to struggle with that. Both managers and players have limits, they may and generally look and perform well at a certain level but are totally out of their depth at an other. For players people are happy to claim that it's because the player didn't want it enough or because he earned too much, when it's simply a case of reaching his limit, the same is true for coaches.

Most players and managers will fail at the highest level, that's why it's recognized as the highest level.

Imagine if we get a pair of 1-0 wins against Southampton and Barnsley. This place will be awash with people proclaiming it's proof that we are "improving" and need to trust "the process".

Seems like you love going around in circles.
There is no rule that you need to find a better manager before firing the current one for doing a poor job. That rule is something you created in your mind and using that as a base to argue retaining ETH.

An interim manager can be of lower level than the current one. A new permanent manager can be a new guy to the league, who can be successful or fail.