Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't know why you guys are still replying to the Hilton poster :lol: He keeps regurgitating the same rebuttal over and over again. The onus isn't on us to decide who ETH's replacement is. And even if we, the supporters, pick a replacement, we can't guarantee success. Us supporters have neither the financial pull or vast connections to check the availability of each possible candidate as well. What we DO know is things that are happening right in front of our eyes and it's bloody grim. It's bleeding obvious that ETH is out of his depth and supporters have every right to call for his sack, and it is the board's job to start re-evaluating and source for a replacement, not us.

"There is no guarantee that changing the manager is going to make things better, so we should stick with our current manager who is definitely making things worse and is failing before our eyes" Seems to be the latest defense of keeping on ETH

City away that season 6-3. The Sevilla away game we were outplayed to an extent I've barely seen.
We beat city in the corresponding fixture and completely outplayed Sevilla in the first leg, throwing away a two goal lead we should really have added to.

The mistakes of DdG and Maguire in the second leg precipitated their demise, with only a contract wrangle saving the latter.

Quite a few cases for the prosecution, but not quite those.

It's insane. You have a number of PL managers who are performing far better than him with far less resources, weaker teams, very little money to spend, playing much better football and improving their teams, yet apparently nobody in the entire world could deliver 8th place for Man Utd.
With the exception of Pep and Klopp, what are these other managers winning?

Emery has done well turning Villa into Spurs, I grant, but EtH has actually won honours in spite of a heinous injury spree.

There are cogent arguments for his removal, but winning trophies is not (yet) one of them.

Where was the critical thinking when they decided to keep him.

It's quite simple: there is no suitable replacement.

Suitable as in returning United to Fergie Time.

Excellent post. Spot on

Disagree, chief. Didn't factor the injury crisis nor the trophy we won.

All I'm advocating for is that this be a decision that has some thought put into it, but I'm being piled on by posters who are offended at the idea of having to put some thinking behind their opinions rather than sticking to shallow opinions that don't have any thought beyond a reflex reaction.

Preach.

None of us have to suggest a different option to put forward the idea that ETH is not good enough to keep his job. None of us are responsible for hiring a new guy,

Just tell us who you want as the new manager.

We all know who and what you are against.

Who are you for?

Names, please, criteria later.

It's just an irrational reflex at this point, Ten Hag must go and any negative consequences can be damned.

Yep.

The Southgate route.

INEOS seem to be more ruthless than our previous set-up, that's why I don't believe he will survive the season unless the football improves significantly.

It isn't flawed logic to have a good reason to expect a replacement to do a better job before replacing the incumbent. I've never said guaranteed, that's a tired strawman, and your examples are false equivalences. Given your car one, a more accurate one would be "my engine is struggling, and I can't take it out and be without an engine, all the top engines I'd want long term are currently in other cars, so what engines are out there that I can reasonably expect to be better than my current one". Still not ideal, but closer than your strawmen.

Every hiring manager around the world will look at skills and experience to inform the likelihood that a candidate can do a job. The same is true of football management. Clubs don't just throw random managers at the job, they appoint managers that they reasonably expect will do a better job. If you can make a case for an available manager to take over immediately, please do so, I'm open to be convinced, but so far folks have only advocated for firing having not thought any further, which is irrational.
But people have made several suggestions for suitable replacements - and we're not professional sporting directors, so our knowledge base is limited in comparison to Dan Ashworth + the other execs. who might have input.

I personally have advocated for Keiran McKenna or Unai Emery, I think either would be worth a shot. My point is, so what if they prove not to be the right choice? You sack them and move on again!

Going back to your car analogy...our engine is not "struggling", our car is broken down and in the middle of nowhere! I tend to agree with other posters, I think ANY of the other 19 top flight managers could do a better job. Now, that doesn't mean you go out and get Dyche or Glasner because that would be ridiculous, but the idea that there is literally nobody in World football who could come in and manage this club is bizarre.

We beat city in the corresponding fixture and completely outplayed Sevilla in the first leg, throwing away a two goal lead we should really have added to.

The mistakes of DdG and Maguire in the second leg precipitated their demise, with only a contract wrangle saving the latter.

Emery has done well turning Villa into Spurs, I grant, but EtH has actually won honours in spite of a heinous injury spree.

There are cogent arguments for his removal, but winning trophies is not (yet) one of them.

Preach.

Who are you for?

Yep.

The Southgate route.

Poch
Tuchel
RDZ
Potter
Iraola
Amorin
Nagelsman
Xavi

Personally would be Looking to employ one of the above if ETH is to get deservedly sacked.

There is possibly some others you could add to the list.

No guarantees that any will actually perform better than ETH, and if that's the case they will also be sacked and another one tried.

ETH's cup wins really don't count for alot alongside 17 points from our last 15 league games. Which is relegation form.

I have long been of the conclusion that EtH was a poor manager but a likeable bloke.

Now I'm actively starting to dislike him. He's an arrogant, deluded crackpot. His press conferences are the ramblings of a mad man.

"There is no guarantee that changing the manager is going to make things better, so we should stick with our current manager who is definitely making things worse and is failing before our eyes" Seems to be the latest defense of keeping on ETH
Unfortunately that isn't anything new. People have been running that excuse into the ground almost a year.

I don't know why you guys are still replying to the Hilton poster :lol: He keeps regurgitating the same rebuttal over and over again. The onus isn't on us to decide who ETH's replacement is. And even if we, the supporters, pick a replacement, we can't guarantee success. Us supporters have neither the financial pull or vast connections to check the availability of each possible candidate as well. What we DO know is things that are happening right in front of our eyes and it's bloody grim. It's bleeding obvious that ETH is out of his depth and supporters have every right to call for his sack, and it is the board's job to start re-evaluating and source for a replacement, not us.
Exactly, pointless circular arguments with the same few names doesn't progress the discourse at all. Hopefully we can start arguing about something else soon enough.

Unfortunately that isn't anything new. People have been running that excuse into the ground almost a year.

Last year there was still a lot of "He needs his own players before we can judge him!" Kicking around. The only one that seems left now is "Yeah but who is gonna replace him" :lol:

Preach.

Who are you for?

Yep.

The Southgate route.
Another one that thinks Ten Hag is the best possible manager we could have right now. Utter delusion.

Seeing a lot of Ole love the last few days, and what I find funny is back then Ole was "all vibes no tactics", and ETH was supposedly this modern manager who's a tactical guru. Now people are like ETH is "no vibes and no tactics" :lol:

PS : Pogba was super underrated. Our best CM in the last few years, but was hated because of his price tag/expectations + injury record + having Raiola as agent.

But people have made several suggestions for suitable replacements - and we're not professional sporting directors, so our knowledge base is limited in comparison to Dan Ashworth + the other execs. who might have input.

I personally have advocated for Keiran McKenna or Unai Emery,

We should scrutinise those replacments. It really cones down to what you want.

Emery was a disaster at Arsenal, failed at PSG. He seems to be best at the Europa League or finishing fourth. Hardly the upgrade we need.

As for McKenna, he is completely unproven at the highest level. You want an Ulsterman, you may as well punt on for Rodgers.

Both will want 3-4 years and need hundreds of millions to tune their squads.

Let's face it. We are just in the process of naming names and exaggerating their merits because we want Erik out now.

Going as far as to re-evaluate Ole as some genius. Christ.

ETH is looking increasingly unhinged in his interviews.

He's pissing on our backs and telling us it's raining.

Especially at home. fecking embarrassement the EtH apologists at this point
It would be funny if it wasnt so sad honestly.
Same with Ten Hag boasting about beating 'big teams', fecks sake WE are the big team. At least we were before he dragged us down.

This manager has done more to lower the standards and expectations than every manager we’ve had since Fergie finished, including Moyes. He’d have been sacked at Madrid and Bayern several times over.

Seeing a lot of Ole love the last few days, and what I find funny is back then Ole was "all vibes no tactics", and ETH was supposedly this modern manager who's a tactical guru. Now people are like ETH is "no vibes and no tactics" :lol:

It's insane that McTominay, Fred, Lingard, Perreira and James were all frequent starters under Ole. But he reportedly wanted both Bellingham and Rice so it's not like he was blind to the utter chaos. However, Ole did manage to do one thing in the midst of the chaos that Ten Hag has failed to do: create a team capable of playing good attacking football.

Ole "accepted" the chaos as long as it lead to goals. Ten Hag has desperately tried to fix it (I don't care what people say: it's clear to me that he has a plan), but it hasn't worked. The cup wins, the ongoing clear-out and the focus on youth is glossing over the fact that right now Ten Hag might possibly be the worst post Fergie manager. If he gets sacked this season I would definitely rank him below Mourinho, Ole and Van Gaal.

Emery was a disaster at Arsenal, failed at PSG. He seems to be best at the Europa League or finishing fourth. Hardly the upgrade we need.

As for McKenna, he is completely unproven at the highest level. You want an Ulsterman, you may as well punt on for Rodgers.

Let's face it. We are just in the process of naming names and exaggerating their merits because we want Erik out now.

See you clearly have too much skin in the game to be objective so I can't take your opinions seriously.

That description of Emery's coaching career is downright disrespectful or just plain wrong.

A disaster at Arsenal? He took over from the clubs longest serving manager to find a club in disarray and yet still managed to achieve the 3rd highest win % of any Arsenal manager in history and took them to a Europa League final. It was widely reported that his biggest issue at the time was his failure to bond with the playing squad due to his inability to speak English (no longer an issue).

He won a title at PSG, again...plenty of good managers have tried and been dismissed at PSG because their ownership clearly only cares about the Champions League.

Besides his stints at PSG and Arsenal, he's won the Europa League four times with two different clubs and has achieved excellent league finishes with the likes of Valencia and Aston Villa. Lest we forget, Villa finished above us last season under his stewardship.

I imagine you would have turned down Sir Alex Ferguson because he was sacked by St Mirren. How can you give the biggest job in England to a man fired by a regional Scottish team? Would you have turned down Clough at Forest because he had "failed" at Leeds and been fired within 6-weeks? Or Jose for Chelsea because he resigned from Benfica?

Keiran McKenna is one of the brightest young coaches in the English game. His reputation as an exceptional coach landed him the job at United in OGS backroom team and he's since performed minor miracles at Ipswich. With is ability to get the best out of young players and his possesion-based style he could be a fantastic fit for us.

But hey...I can't guarantee you either of these managers will win us a title...so I guess since I can't guarantee that, there's nothing to do but let EtH continue to destroy the club, our playing squad and our best young talents.

It's insane that McTominay, Fred, Lingard, Perreira and James were all frequent starters under Ole. But he reportedly wanted both Bellingham and Rice so it's not like he was blind to the utter chaos. However, Ole did manage to do one thing in the midst of the chaos that Ten Hag has failed to do: create a team capable of playing good attacking football.

Ole "accepted" the chaos as long as it lead to goals. Ten Hag has desperately tried to fix it (I don't care what people say: it's clear to me that he has a plan), but it hasn't worked. The cup wins, the ongoing clear-out and the focus on youth is glossing over the fact that right now Ten Hag might possibly be the worst post Fergie manager. If he gets sacked this season I would definitely rank him below Mourinho, Ole and Van Gaal.
If Ole buys a DM/#6 in his last season instead of Homelander, I'd wager it doesnt unravel for him like it did. Not to say he would have led us to PL/CL glory, but it wouldnt have been as bad as it was.

If Ole buys a DM/#6 in his last season instead of Homelander, I'd wager it doesnt unravel for him like it did. Not to say he would have led us to PL/CL glory, but it wouldnt have been as bad as it was.

It's hard to say, but I reckon the fall from grace at least would have been less brutal with a solid DM over Ronaldo yeah.

If we excuse Ten Hag with "poor football structure" we really should be fair enough to do that for Ole too - who literally had to create the structure on his own.

PS : Pogba was super underrated. Our best CM in the last few years, but was hated because of his price tag/expectations + injury record + having Raiola as agent.

I prefer Ole to ETH and I dislike the pseudo intellectual talk of tactics.

But those clips are Ole's team at it's best and he was close to creating something properly.

But management is of course about consistency. Consistently good decisions. Once a manager starts making bad decisions, which Ole did, it starts going wrong quickly. As it did for Ole and the team.

Ole couldn't complain in the end about getting sacked, neither could ETH if it happens.

Not been sacked that yet.

Come on Sir Jim, you might die any minute now, make every second count.

Do not use the term “cult” in reference to fellow supporters. Warnings and threadbans will occur for any who persist. New
ETH’s following on here are an odd bunch. Their reasons for keeping him are based on results that are massively inconsistent and random. How many absolute battering off Liverpool do we need to suffer for folk to see he is the wrong man? The 2 cups argument is as lame as his tactics - last years FA cup was the biggest fluke in recent history. Should never have got to the final yet ETH himself makes it out to be a benchmark. It’s completely embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Give me a name or shut up" is the most tiring argument I've seen in my life. I know it's a bad faith argument intended to detract from the real issue but still annoying to see come up over and over. Managers being dismissed for "being best at finishing top 4" when the guy we want to replace has us finishing 8th with a negative goal difference with much bigger spending power. You couldn't make this up, really. If we were closer to relegation zone then these same nonsensical arguments would still be around. "How do you know anybody would do better", "if there was a better manager out there INEOS would have hired them". As if they already didn't make themselves look foolish for keeping him in the first place.

So tired of complicated tactics :lol:

Got to be a parody

I'm not ignoring the point, I'm simply rejecting your notion that a manager can be a guaranteed success or a complete unknown, with no middle ground. There are obvious ways to analyse a candidate to get a good picture as to whether they will succeed here, chief among them looking at their achievements and experience to see if it matches up to what we need.

With regards to the bold, can you back this statement up? We've had a few names in this thread, but the only managers people have been able to articulate reasons for that I've seen are Tuchel (who has legitimate question marks), and De Zerbi (a terrible suggestion, who fortunately isn't even available). I've named managers I think would be better, so I clearly don't think it's impossible, that's yet another strawman.

But if you have a name and a case to make, then I'm all ears. I can easily be convinced by a well made case for an available replacement.

You are being remarkably dishonest. I have never said or argued that a manager can be a guaranteed success or a complete unknown with no middle ground. I have already provided a list of middle ground names, as have many others, along with arguments as to why they would be worth a try over sticking with our current failing manager.

All you do is dismiss each and every one as “unavailable” without acknowledging the fact that “unavailable” managers can still be obtained. You said I was being catty when I questioned whether you are new to football but I was asking sincerely - because you genuinely seem unaware of how football works, or the fact that managers leave clubs to join new clubs even mid season.

If you are not going to engage honestly and instead keep repeating things that everyone knows are not true, then it’s not worth engaging with you.

And being a lazy useless twat 95% of the time

I'm Ten Hag out as much as the next fan, but I don't think I'd be happy replacing him with many on that list. Potter? Sarri? We'd be back at stage one again soon enough. A lot of them don't even have a more impressive managerial pedigree then Ten Hag and like him have only managed in farmer's leagues.

Id maybe take Tuchel but I don't think his style aligns, don't want that back 3 nonsense.

I think it’s your mindset that has to change. These managers aren’t hired to be here for 25 years. The metric of success should be season by season. Meaning if you hire a Sarri and it’s not working out, you replace him immediately.

This is why we all wanted structure right?! The manager is just a cog in the wheel.

I'm Ten Hag out as much as the next fan, but I don't think I'd be happy replacing him with many on that list. Potter? Sarri? We'd be back at stage one again soon enough. A lot of them don't even have a more impressive managerial pedigree then Ten Hag and like him have only managed in farmer's leagues.
While I dislike the "farmer's league" thing in general, I have some questions for you: How many managers have won a PL title without winning a "farmer's league" first?
Or a CL title with an English team in the PL era?

And how many of them did win the PL with their first English club?
Id maybe take Tuchel but I don't think his style aligns, don't want that back 3 nonsense.
If you think Tuchel is married to a back three formation you just show that you have no idea about him. During his career he used more often a back four than a back three, but he was always open to use the formation that did fit his available squad.

Doesn't matter who is in charge, if Utd aren't up there fighting for the league title then there will always be complaints. Style, tactics, manager etc etc...

Utd have an entitled fan base that just can't accept it takes time to build a winning team, not just a winning team but also a team that is capable of consistently fighting for top trophies year after year. You don't just turn around 10 years of shambolic club management in 2 years. It takes time to get the squad right and for players to bed in and build relationships and understanding all over the pitch.

That's not a defence of ETH, but I don't think there's a manager out there who would have revamped the squad he inherited, under the conditions at the club and had Utd fighting for the league title by now.

My suggestion for a replacement is Marcelo Gallardo, it won't happen but I genuinely think this squad, especially with the South American connections in Ugarte, Martinez, Garnacho, Antony etc would suit him. But he's just gone back to River Plate, so I doubt he'd be willing to leave so soon.

Last edited:

Someone finishing fourth isn’t the upgrade we need? Really? Do you want to have another little look at where we finished last season? Is our current relegation form too good to swap for someone who might get us into the CL spots?

Doesn't matter who is in charge, if Utd aren't up there fighting for the league title then there will always be complaints. Style, tactics, manager etc etc...

Utd have an entitled fan base that just can't accept it takes time to build a winning team, not just a winning team but also a team that is capable of consistently fighting for top trophies year after year. You don't just turn around 10 years of shambolic club management in 2 years. It takes time to get the squad right and for players to bed in and build relationships and understanding all over the pitch.

That's not a defence of ETH, but I don't think there's a manager out there who would have revamped the squad he inherited, under the conditions at the club and had Utd fighting for the league title by now.
That's all true. But there also is little reason why it should be acceptable that things are getting worse every season. EtH had a quite good first season, especially under the circumstances, a terrible second season (looking at the league and overall performances) and a bad start to his third.

I believe he clearly went the wrong route. His initial tweaking of the Ole/Rangnick system and formation worked quite well and was a good foundation to build another top four season on, but he did make it worse, not better.

I fully believe that a manager who made better decisions would be in a much more comfortable position now than EtH is. Challenging for the title? Would have been difficult for any manager as long as City don't collapse, but being ready in case they do, that should be possible.

Eh, so once again we are back to ETH doing better than everybody else because he won two domestic cups. Somehow the thing he alluded to while being defensive about his failures, which pretty much every opposition fan and neutral found amusing, has actually been accepted as a valid argument by our own fans.

Do you actually prefer to be where we are, picking up the odd cup but getting regularly outplayed by pretty much every half decent team on a weekly basis, rather than where Arsenal are?

What a club like United should always seek is being good and competitive every week, not winning 2-3 key games that lead to a cup win. League and Europe are what matters first and foremost, if you aren’t good regularly in these then you aren’t where you should be. And we have been horrible in the league for almost two years running, and embarrassed ourselves hugely in Europe last year.

Last edited:
That's all true. But there also is little reason why it should be acceptable that things are getting worse every season. EtH had a quite good first season, especially under the circumstances, a terrible second season (looking at the league and overall performances) and a bad start to his third.

I believe he clearly went the wrong route. His initial tweaking of the Ole/Rangnick system and formation worked quite well and was a good foundation to build another top four season on, but he did make it worse, not better.

I fully believe that a manager who made better decisions would be in a much more comfortable position now than EtH is. Challenging for the title? Would have been difficult for any manager as long as City don't collapse, but being ready in case they do, that should be possible.

I actually think finishing 3rd in his first full season was too soon and set unrealistic expectations. It wasa false position aided by several teams being total shit.

People don't like the comparison to Arteta, but he finished 8th, 8th, and 5th in his first 3 seasons then 2nd twice. Remains to be seen if he can get over the line this season.

That kind of trajectory would have set a different point of reference for what could be considered improvement year on year.

ETH’s following on here are an odd bunch. Their reasons for keeping him are based on results that are massively inconsistent and random. How many absolute battering off Liverpool do we need to suffer for folk to see he is the wrong man? The 2 cups argument is as lame as his tactics - last years FA cup was the biggest fluke in recent history. Should never have got to the final yet ETH himself makes it out to be a benchmark. It’s completely embarrassing.
Please cut out the term “cult” it will lead to warnings and threadbans. The old thread was closed for myriad reasons, one of them being silly factions warring back and forth. It will not be permitted in this iteration.

My suggestion for a replacement is Marcelo Gallardo, it won't happen but I genuinely think this squad, especially with the South American connections in Ugarte, Martinez, Garnacho, Antony etc would suit him. But he's just gone back to River Plate, so I doubt he'd be willing to leave so soon.
That wasn't the case with Ole though, we finished 2nd and got to a European final. The issue with him is that he didn't have a fancy system and everyone piled in on that because apparently you need a system to win the league these days. Ole got fired for losing 5 in 7 over the space of September. His only real bad run as United manager.