Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
His stint here will be decided by his backing this Jan and next summer. He’s already stated this Jan there is no money to spend and he needs to be creative. If we don’t have a buyer and funds all in place by next summer he’ll lose all momentum and I’d expect his stint here to end before trophies arrive…as is always the case when funds get stopped for managers.

ETH already make it very clear. He needs a striker in Jan especially Ronaldo already left.

It's now the new CEO and DOF job to make the Glazers sign the cheque book. It's unbelievable that we have only 1 striker in Martial.

His stint here will be decided by his backing this Jan and next summer. He’s already stated this Jan there is no money to spend and he needs to be creative. If we don’t have a buyer and funds all in place by next summer he’ll lose all momentum and I’d expect his stint here to end before trophies arrive…as is always the case when funds get stopped for managers.

when did he say this?

Hm, do you know anything about Arnold and Murtaugh than what is commonly known (known, not opined)?

From what I can see, Arnold has been involved with a finacial side of the club that has been running magnificently, and then as a CEO overseen Ten Hag take over and been responsible for securing Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro, Antony and Christian Eriksen (plus Malacia and Dubravka) in one window, which certainly isn’t bad, and taken a few positive steps in regard to improving the disastrous relations between club and fans. That looks pretty well so far to me.

Murtaugh has been responsible for structureing the Academy, which has improved since then; the women’s team, which has a wonderful development; the data analytics side, which is too early to see results from but which certainly was important to do; and started onrestrictureing the scouting system, which ditto can be said about. He has backed Solskjær to second place and EL final, removed Solskjær after two months of dismal form, brought in an intermediary which many had wanted as both sporting director and manager previously, to kickstart a much wanted modernizing of direction, gotten probably the best available candidate for new manager ahead of all other clubs, and has been sporting director behind getting in Varane, Sancho and the above mentioned players. I think it’s fairly well indicated that Tonaldo happened against his wishes and over his head. Everything hasn’t worked, but most certainly has, and I’d argue we are looking better as a club going forward than we did when he began in his current position.

Looking further down, it seems you want to criticize him for Solskjær without giving him credit for Ten Hag, which is strange, as he inherited Solskjær (and fired him) while he chose Ten Hag.

I agree with this and to some extent it's plausible that Murtough can be credited with hiring ETH but many here on this forum will take that and aggrandise it like it was a very far left decision when all the momentum was with hiring ETH irrespective due to who was available and who United were linked with.

I won't go on about Murtough by means of having no intention to derail the objectivity of this thread I think ETH has been exemplary and the best manager to date in recent history raising the standards, improving players individually and the teams performances. He has shown himself to be about a defined philosophy and with time the club I believe will improve incrementally.

I am open-minded regarding my assessment. Believed for example that Dalot was a total liability at United after that woeful performance against Everton many seasons ago and he has shown the total opposite in this regard. If Murtough is still here past a takeover and makes changes and decisions that is a positive reflection on his responsibilities I'll give him credit where credit is due. For the time being however, he has everything to prove.

So are you willing to give ETH 3 yrs too?

If there is clear progress, yes?

Not sure I get the point of the question. It's not like Arsenal played a blinder in retaining Arteta for 3 years. Who else were they going to hire? Graham Potter?

Whether we get a new striker in January or not does not alter my views about EtH.
He is in my opinion an elite coach.
At the moment a little way behind Pep and Klopp.
But as good if not better than anyone else in the PL.

I agree with this and to some extent it's plausible that Murtough can be credited with hiring ETH but many here on this forum will take that and aggrandise it like it was a very far left decision when all the momentum was with hiring ETH irrespective due to who was available and who United were linked with.

I won't go on about Murtough by means of having no intention to derail the objectivity of this thread I think ETH has been exemplary and the best manager to date in recent history raising the standards, improving players individually and the teams performances. He has shown himself to be about a defined philosophy and with time the club I believe will improve incrementally.

I am open-minded regarding my assessment. Believed for example that Dalot was a total liability at United after that woeful performance against Everton many seasons ago and he has shown the total opposite in this regard. If Murtough is still here past a takeover and makes changes and decisions that is a positive reflection on his responsibilities I'll give him credit where credit is due. For the time being however, he has everything to prove.

Hindsight is surely the best occasion to evaluate people who’se jobs are
Mostly hidden from our view. Woodward, it’s easy to conclude has done well to help a disastrous leveraged buying of our clib, helped increase the sponsor income drastically, overssen a chatic and detrimental leadership of the football side of the club and brought the club into conflict with many of it’s supporters. He’s probably a nice and well meaning bloke with quite a few talents’ but the job he has done has been on the whole very bad for the development for the club. One thing he has done, is implement a sporting director/football directo function which is quite new to the club, and I don’t really expect us on-lookers to be able to evaluate Murtaughs job in this position until at least five years have gone.

Hope he can be another Busby/Ferguson for us. I really feel he is special and I couldn't be happier we got him. All that's needed now is for the parasites to sell the club so we can look for greener pastures. Enough blood sucking has been done.

After years of spending like a drunken sailor with no plan whatsoever, we seems to be running out of juice now especially when Glazers are desperately trying to sell the club. I don't expect us to get a top striker in Jan.

We need to depend on ETH's management and coaching to get us Top 4. Hopefully Antony and Sancho are able to rediscover their form.

Whether we get a new striker in January or not does not alter my views about EtH.
He is in my opinion an elite coach.
At the moment a little way behind Pep and Klopp.
But as good if not better than anyone else in the PL.

Agreed.

I fecking love this guy. He has brought so much to the club in a short period of time. Just the way he has handled himself in a big job, big questions.

In his first 6 months, he has had to deal with much more than any other elite manager. Coming of one of the worst seasons, players with no form. Improved our play, tick.

Dealt with Ronaldo perfectly, dealt with Maguire seamlessly.

He has introduced discipline, which the likes of Bruno, Shaw, Rashford have come out and said its something that a big club needs, accepting that the standards are high now.

As if it wasn't a hard job, he has decided he needs to be involved with how the youth is being brought in.

I wouldn't change him for any other manager right now.

Agreed.

I fecking love this guy. He has brought so much to the club in a short period of time. Just the way he has handled himself in a big job, big questions.

In his first 6 months, he has had to deal with much more than any other elite manager. Coming of one of the worst seasons, players with no form. Improved our play, tick.

He has introduced discipline, which the likes of Bruno, Shaw, Rashford have come out and said its something that a big club needs, accepting that the standards are high now.

As if it wasn't a hard job, he has decided he needs to be involved with how the youth is being brought in.

My sentiments exactly.
It has taken far too long for United to appoint someone like him.
Player power and a complete lack of discipline was ruining our club.

Agreed.

Aye, seconded.

This proves nothing. We were in for Casemiro for a very long time, it just came to light in the media late on, so to us it seemed random. I’m pretty sure Fred himself said he knew about it for a long time but was obviously not allowed to say anything.

The media loves to write about us and link us to every player under the sun. If you choose to believe everything they write then that’s on you.

At the end of the day, the only facts that we know are true are the following:

- we signed players ETH wanted, for positions he believed need strengthening.

- every single signing has so far been exemplary and has not only improved the squad, but the first 11. I can’t remember the last time we had such a window?

EDIT:
https://www.managingmadrid.com/plat...cided-long-before-it-was-officially-announced

“I found out long before both clubs announced it,” Fred said. “A few months before, we had already spoken, he and I”
I remember reading Casemiro himself saying that he has decided Christmas 2021 that it was time for a new challenge and that he had started talks with United not long after.

what people forget in these cases that we may talk to multiple players at the same time, just in case your plan doesn’t come to fruition.

I remember reading Casemiro himself saying that he has decided Christmas 2021 that it was time for a new challenge and that he had started talks with United not long after.

what people forget in these cases that we may talk to multiple players at the same time, just in case your plan doesn’t come to fruition.
Yeap precisely. It also proves that the press rarely knows feck all about transfer conversations between clubs. We were able to keep this under the radar for months!

The best thing Ten Hag has done is unite the players and fans. He’s created a team spirit and that’s showing in how we’re fighting for each other. Martinez, dalot and de gea early on in the season celebrated conceding a corner which meant defending the goal. Ten Hag has handled big situations better than anyone could have imagined. He’s proving everyone who doubted him wrong. I hope the poch fans have come to realise that we have the perfect man in charge. Ten Hag just loves working hard and being in charge of every aspect of the club. I doubt poch would have got involved with the youth team. Can’t fault this man. It’s the first time in about 10 years I’ve enjoyed watching us play and I’m feeling confident of us picking up a trophy or 2 this season.

The best thing Ten Hag has done is unite the players and fans. He’s created a team spirit and that’s showing in how we’re fighting for each other. Martinez, dalot and de gea early on in the season celebrated conceding a corner which meant defending the goal. Ten Hag has handled big situations better than anyone could have imagined. He’s proving everyone who doubted him wrong. I hope the poch fans have come to realise that we have the perfect man in charge. Ten Hag just loves working hard and being in charge of every aspect of the club. I doubt poch would have got involved with the youth team. Can’t fault this man. It’s the first time in about 10 years I’ve enjoyed watching us play and I’m feeling confident of us picking up a trophy or 2 this season.
It's so early to say but definitely feels the closest personality-wise to SAF in terms being able to handle the behemoth that is the club.

Yeap precisely. It also proves that the press rarely knows feck all about transfer conversations between clubs. We were able to keep this under the radar for months!
I think that's also indicated by United being linked to virtuall every potentially interesting Dutch and Eredivisie player around. Clearly a lot of that must be nonsense.

Having a top coach means we don't need to rely on individual brilliance anymore.

Doing a great job. Has the team playing together and working hard. If we can just add a goal scorer we’ll be nailed on for top 3.

If board won't back him, there should be official protests. Brilliant lad managing through shitstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.