Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't just come in and put his status as under review when he's our best manager after Fergie. The fans will get the pitchforks out, not the brightest idea. Whoever buys the club must be willing to support Ten Hag for at least one season.

See, Todd Boehley.

See, Todd Boehley.
Well thankfully none of the potential buyers is like Todd. He had his own plan on what kind of formation should be played and that's mental. That's not an owner, it's a dictator. He probably thought he knew more than Tuchel.

They will need a new CEO to look after and manage their investment, understandably so. Arnold/Murtough are all part of the previous regime, tainted some might say. And indirectly ETH (a hire of the previous fecked up ownership) or at worse they just drip dry him and not support him like what happened to Tuchel.

Wasn't Tuchel backed with a record summer outlay, the performances before his sack were just unacceptable so I don't know why people bring him up as an example

I don't see any new new owners sacking ETH, not unless performances go the way of Tuchel. If he keeps performing, his job is safe imo

They won't just come in and put his status as under review when he's our best manager after Fergie. The fans will get the pitchforks out, not the brightest idea. Whoever buys the club must be willing to support Ten Hag for at least one season.

Let’s be fair, there’s nothing tangible in the eyes of a prospective buyer to say ETH is the best manager we’ve had since Fergie. And they mustn’t do anything. Like I say, they won’t axe him for the sake of it, but he’ll be under a spotlight to deliver. It’s the reality, unfortunately.

You're the one bigging up Fletcher in this technical role so surely you must know what his tasks are?

You have the following as sporting directors:
Michael Edwards
Michael Zorc
Txiki Begiristain
Giuseppe Marotta

Who are vastly more experienced in their roles and you're telling me a club like United won't look for this wealth of experience in such an important role? Hence the question by many, what is Darren Fletcher's credentials in such a position at any elite club and how has he landed in such an important role at the club? What experience does he have?

I don’t think I’ve bigged him up at all as i don’t know what his role is and what his job specs are. I merely asked the question hoping somebody else would confirm what it is he does and say why it is they are not happy with him in the role. The only responsibilities I’ve ever seen him consistently stated as having has been as a bridge between the management and the playing squad, and as an advisor to the players on playing for Man United. Two duties I’d say he seems very qualified to fulfil.

It seems people would like to exclude anybody who played for us as having a role with the club, just because they played for us in the past. It’s the other side of the same coin as the nepotism people rightly deride.

Let’s be fair, there’s nothing tangible in the eyes of a prospective buyer to say ETH is the best manager we’ve had since Fergie. And they mustn’t do anything. Like I say, they won’t axe him for the sake of it, but he’ll be under a spotlight to deliver. It’s the reality, unfortunately.
There's no guarantee but if they want to take loans worth billions, surely they will do a bit of research first and it doesn't take much to know the state of the club before Ten Hag came and how the club has always depended on the manager. If they take Ten Hag out, they will risk starting everything from zero again, scrambling to find a manager that fits the club. Because we really aren't like Chelsea where managers are plug and play.

I never thought he’d be this good.

Ajax in the CL beating the bigger teams makes sense to me now.

My only worry about him is if he may overrate some Netherlands players to the point that the Netherlands national team makes up a quarter of our squad.

Hopefully that’s just rubbish and he continues to add quality players from across the world.

He is pretty much perfect to me at this moment.

My only worry about him is if he may overrate some Netherlands players to the point that the Netherlands national team makes up a quarter of our squad.

Hopefully that’s just rubbish and he continues to add quality players from across the world.

He's added one Dutch player so far, a young backup LB in Malacia.

What makes you certain on us signing Frimpong

Not certain, and maybe Malo Gusto is a better idea I don't have a particularly strong personal take, but the links make sense:

1. Our signings in the summer (that weren't Eriksen and Casemiro) indicate that Ten Hag doesn't trust the club's scouting yet so until the summer when he has time, I expect Dutch and Eredivisie players to be still far, far likelier than other signings.

2. We don't have any right-sided width apart from Antony so a FB who can do that makes sense and Frimpong is similar to Lamptey, his pace means he's a serious threat down the right touchline.

3. We don't have a RWB if Ten Hag ever wants to set up that way for a particular game.

His desired targets have been
Malacia - Great with bags of potential, a wonderful personality and a solid performer.
De Jong - Arguably one of the finest midfielders in the world.
Gakpo - Star in the making who will probably cost us 50M more after the WC campaign he had.

So far his track record in identifying talent has been pretty good. We clearly should have moved Cristiano on in the summer and brought in Gakpo - a missed opportunity that will probably turn out to be an expensive mistake.

5/6 Dutch players won't kill us:

Gapko
De Jong
Backup RB - Frimpong
Malacia
Backup GK

Mystery Dutchman who is good (Timber? Xavi Simons at some point?)

You're the one bigging up Fletcher in this technical role so surely you must know what his tasks are?

You have the following as sporting directors:
Michael Edwards
Michael Zorc
Txiki Begiristain
Giuseppe Marotta

Who are vastly more experienced in their roles and you're telling me a club like United won't look for this wealth of experience in such an important role? Hence the question by many, what is Darren Fletcher's credentials in such a position at any elite club and how has he landed in such an important role at the club? What experience does he have?
What experience did Zorc have when Dortmund hired him in that role? What experience did Txiki have when Barcelona hired him?

Go on, look it up, you might learn something.

Its sounds all logical. But new management doesn't always think in those terms. It's all about making a splash.

They will need a new CEO to look after and manage their investment, understandably so. Arnold/Murtough are all part of the previous regime, tainted some might say. And indirectly ETH (a hire of the previous fecked up ownership) or at worse they just drip dry him and not support him like what happened to Tuchel.
It wont be unsurprising if this happens. Seen it enough in the corporate world whenever you have a new CEO come in, he brings in his own team -- with even 180 degree change in direction.
Didn’t Chelsea spend the most of anyone in the world last summer? Entirely on Tuchel targets too, no less.

Didn’t Chelsea spend the most of anyone in the world last summer? Entirely on Tuchel targets too, no less.

No. Fat Frank.

Tuchel came in mid-season. A lot of it was Boehley's ideas. Remember Todd wanted Ronaldo and Tuchel vetoed it -- and that's what broke the camel's back.

Being involved can mean a vast variety of things. Are you claiming that Ten Hag had absolutely zero say (didn't even give his opinion ever) in Overmars-led transfer dealings at Ajax?

Also, the tone is absolutely unnecessary, both because personal insults are not accepted and because the original comment remains valid if you replace 'involved' with 'aware'.
Ten Hag had some involvement, because Overmars gave him some players he wanted, usually bad ones from his former club(s). Same thing happens here btw, with Martinez being the best transfers in a while of course. Most other deals were mostly Overmars and his team, with Ten Hag maybe giving his opinion.

And i wasn't the one that started with that tone. Apparently disrespecting Ajax is okay here?

Its sounds all logical. But new management doesn't always think in those terms. It's all about making a splash.

It wont be unsurprising if this happens. Seen it enough in the corporate world whenever you have a new CEO come in, he brings in his own team -- with even 180 degree change in direction.

Circumstances are pretty different.

ETH:
-> wants to have holistic control of the team, not just restricted to tactics
-> his signings are all spot on with every one making it to first team (except maybe Dubravka who was a backup anyway)
-> has improved the culture tremendously by bringing in players with the right mentality and getting rid of troublesome ones (Ronaldo, Bailly, Telles - you could argue Henderson, Lingard, Pogba, Cavani were on their way out anyway)
-> clearly knows where he wants the team to be in the medium to long term
-> has shown clear indications of promoting academy players

Tuchel, on the other hand:
-> was lost beyond a tactical role
-> rode on the performance of previous signings
-> brought in Lukaku, Fofana, Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Sterling, Cucurella (some may eventually be good players, but wouldn't want any of these near our first team)
-> sold pretty much all their youth players who showed some promise
-> focused on short term results and ended up with a squad leaving a lost culture

It'll just be a case that the new owners see where ETH wants to be, and will back him. It'd be stupid not to do so, given his track record with Ajax and current progress with the squad.

No. Fat Frank.

Tuchel came in mid-season. A lot of it was Boehley's ideas. Remember Todd wanted Ronaldo and Tuchel vetoed it -- and that's what broke the camel's back.
No Tuchel was definitely in charge last summer. He spunked loads on crap like Koulibally and Pierre Erick Aubamayang.

Tuchel was running recruitment as all the Chelsea fans were adamant to point out, and then they sacked him anyway because he was found out.

Ten Hag had some involvement, because Overmars gave him some players he wanted, usually bad ones from his former club(s). Same thing happens here btw, with Martinez being the best transfers in a while of course. Most other deals were mostly Overmars and his team, with Ten Hag maybe giving his opinion.
I would still say you use 'involved' too narrowly. If Overmars once came to Ten Hag's office and said 'I'm working on this Brazilian winger called Antony, ever heard of him?' and Ten Hag said 'no, sorry', that's already involvement (and through that, awareness). But anyway
And i wasn't the one that started with that tone. Apparently disrespecting Ajax is okay here?
This is a United forum. Any other club may be disrespected. And Ten Hag's comment does make clear that Ajax did not behave entirely fairly towards Antony in the summer.

Yeah, this makes them look quite bad in retrospect.

Jeez, is this tone necessary?

Also, what was embellished? Are you denying any involvement of Ten Hag in Ajax's transfers? I would say it's very likely that Ten Hag was aware of what was happening at least at a high level, which is all he would have needed to get the information leading to the comments in those tweets.

I think Schreuder coming in and wanting to keep Antony is what happened. He had a point. But, it was known Antony was set on leaving: with United willing to pay his fee, there is no excuse for what happened.

I’m not fond of Schreuder. He should talk less and get on with coaching.

I sure hope we will get a striker and right back in January. It’s clear we need to plug those gaps, especially to reach top four.

I don't think his position will be under any real threat by new ownership as we currently stand.

There are two important aspects to that, which is that he continues to develop this team in the interim so the strength of his position does not change for the worse and it's ultimately a game of opinion so you never know for sure.

The biggest reason is probably that we already have the best manager that was available to us. Even a new owner that would usually be keen for change has to look at who is in situ and what the market for managers is like. What are we going to do, sack him and sign Eddie Howe? There aren't any majorly compelling options in my view.

I think the Tuchel situation was quite different in that he has a history of being a prickly character in terms of his relationship with key figures at a club and the straw that broke the camels back seemed to be a breakdown in ideologies.

I think Schreuder coming in and wanting to keep Antony is what happened. He had a point. But, it was known Antony was set on leaving: with United willing to pay his fee, there is no excuse for what happened.

I’m not fond of Schreuder. He should talk less and get on with coaching.
Schreuder, and probably the fact that various other key players had already left. It's one thing to think in January that a player can leave, and another when he's leaving as the last of an important group all in one summer.

I don't think his position will be under any real threat by new ownership as we currently stand.

There are two important aspects to that, which is that he continues to develop this team in the interim so the strength of his position does not change for the worse and it's ultimately a game of opinion so you never know for sure.

The biggest reason is probably that we already have the best manager that was available to us. Even a new owner that would usually be keen for change has to look at who is in situ and what the market for managers is like. What are we going to do, sack him and sign Eddie Howe? There aren't any majorly compelling options in my view.

I think the Tuchel situation was quite different in that he has a history of being a prickly character in terms of his relationship with key figures at a club and the straw that broke the camels back seemed to be a breakdown in ideologies.

Spot on. Tuchel definitely quite a spikey character and probably one of the reasons he only lasts so long at clubs before moving on,

Obviously will fancy getting into the semi finals of the league cup following the QF draw. The trophy itself is a realistic target and will give him and the squad a massive boost and a platform for greater things :drool:

Obviously will fancy getting into the semi finals of the league cup following the QF draw. The trophy itself is a realistic target and will give him and the squad a massive boost and a platform for greater things :drool:
100%. The first trophy under his belt will give him and the squad massive confidence to achieve better things. Will make them more hungry and it definitely sets the platform for them.

100%. The first trophy under his belt will give him and the squad massive confidence to achieve better things. Will make them more hungry and it definitely sets the platform for them.

The likelihood is after the QF we will have City in either the SF or the Final. God I hope we can beat them.

How many Dutch players have we signed last summer anyway? I understand your concern but there's nothing to base it on,

What quote is that? :confused:

Also, isn't it anyway a realistic target for United for this season?

I read this quote on a Dutch football site, so I assume this is what he said recently.
Is it a realistic target? Sure but it comes across to me as if we should celebrate that. I remember when everybody laughed at Arsenal fans for being happy with the "4th place trophy". It seems we caught up now.

When Leicester is able to become champions and Newcastle is able to make huge progress without significant signings and Arsenal is able to go from 5th to being leader over the course of a couple of months then a utd manager shouldn't be happy with just 4th place.

Difference is we’re above Liverpool and Chelsea…
Difference is start to play well again, have a close squad, dealt with certain players, have won against very strong teams in excellent fashion, have that buzz again when we play….

Difference is start to play well again, have a close squad, dealt with certain players, have won against very strong teams in excellent fashion, have that buzz again when we play….
1000%! We’re back babyyy.

New owners won’t axe him for the sake of it, but his position will certainly be under review and if he doesn’t deliver on their expectations he won’t have much leeway. It’s a shame as he deserves time, new owners don’t typically exhibit much patience for appointments by the old regime though.
I’d like to think am the new owner would see what he’s done at Ajax, seen what mess the club has been in for years ( be it player attitude, inflated wages, wrong purchases etc), the changes he’s made in a short time and new demands on players and give this guy plenty of time to build the squad he needs.

i personally don’t see much difference between him and Klop, manager wise,and he needed a few years to build his squad

Status
Not open for further replies.