Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how 1 win can cause amnesia throughout our fanbase. He's done well in cups and I appreciate the win, but that's the bare minimum as a United manager. Overall he's not progressed and the best we can hope for if we keep him is 1 domestic cup a season and a top 8 finish.

Reactions: Fortitude
It is clear the players and match going fans want him to stay.
Media and watch from home fans pushing a different narrative.

If they don't want me, I will go somewhere else and win trophies, because that is what I do.... stunning from the man himself. Love to see it.
Players are happy to collect their pay checks whilst finishing 8th. Standards have never been lower.

I’m very much in the ETH out camp however to replace him with McKena, De Zerbie or Southgate is a non starter

Poch or Tuchel I can just about stomach however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?

I think it’s win/win scenario if he starts with 7 or 8 prem wins out of 10 and a good run in Europa then maybe his superpower is resilience and his ability to adapt finally.
I can well understand that point and it could look attractive.
However, what happens if we don't make those necessary signings because players are nervous over his future at the club.
And we don't make a good start.
And all of the available managers have gone to new clubs.

Re ETH, the difference between keeping him and a new coach is we already know how he managed in crisis - poorly. He seems to manage for his ego rather than what’s best for the team
I would say Tuchel has not had a great season either for a club that usually cleans up and has an ego which is why he argues with his bosses so much. So do we go for someone they can manipulate easily?

Then surely that is more about us being bloody stupid enough to have a heirarchy that knows nothing about football and let him choose the players, when he didn't do it at Ajax. That is our fault in a way. The setup is now going to be different and he will be asked what he needs and then they get the players, so more position wise than specific players.
No doubt the club have made a mess of it, but Jim has come in and pretty much given all those guys their marching orders, but let's not forget eth wanted a lot of those players. The mason mount signing I think was worse than the Anthony deal.

However, that doesn't excuse his suicidal midfield setup. Every one of us on this forum could see it being an issue, and it took a guy on 100k a week to finally shore it up after 50 games. That really isn't good enough. Had he least tried that 10 games ago we may have had a chance for 4th.

Yesterday was the absolute opposite of validation of the tactics throughout the season.

Hilariously bad take.
:lol: it’s like, do they watch the games? We had a 2 man midfield in a deeper block and had 24% possession. That was far more akin to his first season tactics than the nonsense he’s served up to us all year.

True. This was his biggest downfall this season. He seems to have fixed it at the bitter end. Better late than never though I suppose.

If ETH is willing to go into next season playing a non-suicidal midfield then I think he could do just as well as any of the other candidates. Either way, the bigger issue will be what to do with all the attacking midfielders in the squad - Eriksen, Mount, McTominay and Bruno who really should all be competing for 1 position - and the lack of reliable defensive mids - this is a problem of ETH's own creation, especially the Mount signing, but I'd be interested to see him attempt to fix it next season. Ultimately I think the board/DoF need to be having these conversations with ETH. Worst case scenario is we stick with ETH, and we start next season with a lone DM and Bruno + Mount/McT bombing forwards leaving us exposed. Think we'd struggle defensively even with prime Rio and Vidic in that set up.

He's signed Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen and Amrabat, at a cost of £120m yet our midfield is still a mess, it's not far fetched that 3 or even 4 of those players all leave this summer.

I still think he's going, and I think it's sadly the right decision. I'd love him to be a success here, but it would be hard to shift the nagging doubt that he's got it in him to truly make it work.

Even the Athletic article confirms they have contacted several other candidates. You do not enter a major rebuild with a manager on a 1 year contract who you are obviously doubting enough to look at other managers. Must be gone, and deservedly so.

Eth just doesn’t affect the game from the touchline at all unfortunately.

Even yesterday, when everything was under control and Doku started giving AWB a run around, any decent coach would have made a change or instructed a tweak. Instead he just stood there clueless on how to respond.

The amount of space and time we gave Doku really gave me a headache. But not to our coach who is a professional and was looking at it from much closer. How does this happen?

Pep had to resort to putting on Doku and just have his team keep feeding him the ball. If we adjust then I think we lose that man for man control we had in the first half and still retained in the second, then city exploit the gaps and it's a normal beating. Doku is a very tricky winger and ETH trusted AWB to deal with him and retain the rest of our shape that rendered city redundant first half. City just kept using the Doku trick over and over. Wasn't pretty by either side.

For example Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal away, that blue team, Crystal Palace at home. 15 potential points just there. There are more games where some decisions are hard to understand that turned the game.
You're in every match thread moaning about refs within the first 10 minutes. It's proper tinfoil hat stuff

I would say that it’s simply best to judge over s season than on one match
What if he does have a point that injuries have fecked up his way of wanting to play? There was a question in the Arteta vs EtH thread about whether we would rather our 2 trophies under ETH or come in second or third in the league and that also got me thinking.

what I don’t get about ETH is why he was so fecking stubborn during the majority of the season and only reverted to a better pragmatic approach in these last few games.

OK, if he was available from another team and just had the same season with them would you want him to come here?
Hmm good question, I’m not sure! He’s clearly a winner and wins trophies every season, but so bad this season. But injuries at the back have been so bad does he deserve one more season to prove this was a one off?

I guess we just have to trust they make a good choice?

I just don't think we'll ever challenge for a title with him in charge. He has been far too naive this whole season (bar the cup) to make me think we should be going into next season with him.

What if he does have a point that injuries have fecked up his way of wanting to play? There was a question in the Arteta vs EtH thread about whether we would rather our 2 trophies under ETH or come in second or third in the league and that also got me thinking.

what I don’t get about ETH is why he was so fecking stubborn during the majority of the season and only reverted to a better pragmatic approach in these last few games.
Injuries will always exist to some degree. If he can't adapt to losing a few players he's not a good manager

I would say Tuchel has not had a great season either for a club that usually cleans up and has an ego which is why he argues with his bosses so much. So do we go for someone they can manipulate easily?
Honestly I don’t know where we go from here, I’m trusting that Wilcox and co have an idea after speaking to various candidates and doing their review. I will trust in whatever decision they make.

I just think, looking at the season as a whole im standing over my assertion that he needs to go

OK, if he [ETH] was available from another team and just had the same season with them would you want him to come here?

Nope.
8th place is the worst league placing we have had in decades.
The issue is that if a new manager comes in, will he do better, given the current set of players?

You’ve kind of answered your own question.

he stubbornly stuck to this same no midfield clap trap. Sticking various different temporary defensive line ups without any protection. This is basic shit. He’s trying to be overly clever rather than thinking points first. He’s had amrabat available most of the season so could have played double pivot

No idea what to think now. As someone who wanted him out previously, when the news was announced this week I can’t say I was particularly overjoyed. Maybe cos I don’t trust the board to get the right replacement in…
One game should never change your mind on someone but if that kind of tactical performance can be produced with the players putting in that kind of effort, is there something actually there with Ten Hag? If so why the feck did we spend nine months of the season chasing shadows with that utterly abject high pressing/man marking/single pivot system. feck knows what to think right now.

:lol: it’s like, do they watch the games? We had a 2 man midfield in a deeper block and had 24% possession. That was far more akin to his first season tactics than the nonsense he’s served up to us all year.
Listen to what ETH said about why he was using those tactics. Then think about how what the players learnt during that period was put into action in the press yesterday.

Learning new skills is about the process of learning one element and then continually adding to it as and when elements are settled or different players are available. That's what ETH has been getting at all season.

An insider said on one of the podcasts like around christmas that he wasn't a man manager. He was too dry. Sometimes you need a manager who can coax you into things rather than just tell you.

This means he hasn't got the right men around him. He needs to assembly a squad of men that work well with his approach. I'm sure Mount is happy to do what he's told. Sancho less so.

He's signed Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen and Amrabat, at a cost of £120m yet our midfield is still a mess, it's not far fetched that 3 or even 4 of those players all leave this summer.

I think Mount is the worst signing, as it didn't even make sense given his best position and the players we currently had. ETH wanted to play a 433 with Mount and Bruno and that tactic was a complete failure.

I can forgive him for the others. Eriksen, on a free, offered us something none of our midfielders did at the time (pre Mainoo). Mainoo has surpassed him now so he should probably leave although wouldn't mind him staying one more year as back up.

Amrabat, meh, a loan deal. We need an upgrade but at least he was the right profile (bizarre ETH played him at full back though at the start, thats a tough introduction to a new league, especially when there's sod all midfield protection).

Casemiro, I'd blame the board really. They paid the fee and gave him a long contract. Sums up United over the past decade - spending big money on over the hill super stars - I can't blame ETH for that. I do blame ETH for persisting to play Casemiro as a lone DM for far too long, when it was beyond obvious we were too open and exposed, even a prime Casemiro would have struggled let alone a veteran Casemiro.

Come on Spoons, a great campaign? You’re surely trolling

FA Cup campaign, Geebs, whether we needed pennos to get past Coventry shouldn't take away from some cracking games. He's made mistakes, he was far too stubborn, but he's tweaked things last few games. Just keep away from recruitment and tell him to concentrate on coaching. I'd love to see him coach under a proper structure.

I'll be absolutely gutted if he's sacked now. You just can't sack a manager who is winning trophies, its literally what its all about. Sacking him and bringing in Tuchel will finish me off.

Listen to what ETH said about why he was using those tactics. Then think about how what the players learnt during that period was put into action in the press yesterday.

Learning new skills is about the process of learning one element and then continually adding to it as and when elements are settled or different players are available. That's what ETH has been getting at all season.

So he tanked a season employing nonsensical tactics for 98% of it, because he knew it would help in playing a completely different way against Man City in the FA Cup final?

FA Cup campaign, Geebs, whether we needed pennos to get past Coventry shouldn't take away from some cracking games. He's made mistakes, he was far too stubborn, but he's tweaked things last few games. Just keep away from recruitment and tell him to concentrate on coaching. I'd love to see him coach under a proper.
So you’re basing it on a handful of games where he finally did where everyone has been screaming at him all season. Nah thanks. He fecked the league campaign and the CL shambles. Too many red flags with him. And I don’t like that we learnt how morally bankrupt he is too

So he tanked a season employing nonsensical tactics for 98% of it, because he knew it would help in playing a completely different way against Man City in the FA Cup final?
Jesus Christ. Yes. That's exactly what he did.

I give up.

:lol: sorry mate, but this is all hot air.

He was playing a midfield one with a chasm of half the pitch as soon as our first press was beaten. We were conceding the exact same cutback in every game. We were conceding over 20+ shots on our goal every game. This was all tactical misgivings to the point of negligence — I am not having that this was all some master plan where the players have gleaned high level galaxy brain intelligence from his absolutely demented set up on the football pitch.

If you’re on the fence just look at who it is piling on, criticising everything he does and hounding him out and then ask if you want to be their side.

Relentless bitter ABUs like Danny Murphy (who said we should get Southgate but then also said he wouldn’t want him at Liverpool)

All the vermin journalists who crave drama at United and tear into our manager week after week even when he’s just won a trophy

The contingent of our fanbase who call our managers clowns, frauds and PE teachers.

I don’t know whether keeping him or not is right but I’m not sure I want to be on the same side as that lot.

I'll be absolutely gutted if he's sacked now. You just can't sack a manager who is winning trophies, its literally what its all about. Sacking him and bringing in Tuchel will finish me off.
Atkinson was sacked after winning the FA cup
Lvg was sacked after winning the FA cup

so yes you can

I’ve been saying I’d prefer to keep him and if we must sack him, then only McKenna for me. I’d be happy if we kept him and McKenna decides to stay at Ipswich for now. That would leave that option open for us if it’s not going well next season to move Ten Hag on and bring in McKenna.

If you’re on the fence just look at who it is piling on, criticising everything he does and hounding him out and then ask if you want to be their side.

Relentless bitter ABUs like Danny Murphy (who said we should get Southgate but then also said he wouldn’t want him at Liverpool)

All the vermin journalists who crave drama at United and tear into our manager week after week even when he’s just won a trophy

The contingent of our fanbase who call our managers clowns, frauds and PE teachers.

I don’t know whether keeping him or not is right but I’m not sure I want to be on the same side as that lot.
Ignore the media is the best thing you can do. Just remember they are paid to talk shit and click bait people.

Status
Not open for further replies.