Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
How? We completely dominated them for 60 minutes until they brought in a whole new team. And it was pretty much just even from that point on.

I'd have said their 10 man substitution changed the game. Others just want to see things differently. I agree United were sharper for the first 60 or so minutes.

He’s doing a good job with what he’s got, but these posts slagging the club for not delivering on his targets seem a bit wide of the mark. By all accounts he’s the one who’s identified the players he wants and seems to have said it’s them or nothing. His midfield target isn’t interested in joining us, and Ajax aren’t going to sell us half their team in one window.

Allegedly his M.O. is bring players he trusts first year, then branch out the next. Which I’m fine with. This season will be a struggle as we have a thin, and mediocre in places, squad. But I’ll settle for the kind of football we’ve seen this preseason being cemented in and making a real push the following season with a proper splurge in the market next summer.

The players at his disposal are not good enough. The idea that these reactions are based on pre season is ludicrous. It’s been obvious for months.

Lets wait till the first few games before we make our own decisions? Martinez and Eriksen are yet to fully bed in and we still have some players lacking in match fitness (Garner, Varane etc).

Has been really impressive with what he has to work with in preseason. Has been working miracles to get some players who I thought had no chance, to actually perform. But with the season ahead and the World Cup coming up he will need some backing, which in my opinion he has not got enough of so far. With Ronaldo wanting to leave, we are one Martial injury away from having no center forward.

Every time I watch Kondogbia, he looks world class-esque. Does he stink it out in the league or something?

No, he is good to very good player. He only really struggled with Inter.

We barely created a single chance in our 60 minutes “domination”. That’s not good. They created a few decent chances (and scored) as soon as they brought on their best players. Also not good.

I’ve been pretty pessimistic about our chances this season for a while now. Today’s performance really just endorses my misgivings. Our squad is paper thin and not particularly great even when everyone is available for selection. There’s no way this ends well without at least two more genuinely top class additions. ETH is a very good manager but he’s not a magician.

Yeah, as is this team isn't finishing in the top four.

At parts today I was reminded of a (better) version of a team like Brighton. Broadly doing the right things but crucially lacking quality in key areas.

On form Sancho and martial were covering up so many of our flaws that haven't been addressed this window. We need to seriously consider Martinez in midfield . Keep Bailly and our cbs are good enough for top four.

Lets wait till the first few games before we make our own decisions? Martinez and Eriksen are yet to fully bed in and we still have some players lacking in match fitness (Garner, Varane etc).

Why? It’s obvious that there isn’t enough quality in the squad.

We needed at least six players and have neglected to buy them. Shite.

We have played 3 more preseason games than Madrid yet they look just as fit as us.
Yeah that’s what happens when you’ve been fit for a few years. It takes time to actually get properly fit. Same thing goes for other sports ie MMA. You need to build mass and have proper conditioning.

I can see some positive signs already, but other getting Eriksen as potential Bruno replacement (when he's in a bad form), he hasn't addressed the priority pain points in United squad.
This better change before the window closes, because otherwise he is set up to fail.

I seriously don't understand most of you. It is obvious that when ETH came in, this season would be more of a transition season with some negative results bound to happen. The good thing is that ETH has shortened the time by bringing in versatile players who can fill in various positions and we have a squad who is positively reacting to his methods. However, we will still take time to gel and it will be apparent in some of the games this season. Reduce your expectations, otherwise don't watch the club this season.

I can see some positive signs already, but other getting Eriksen as potential Bruno replacement (when he's in a bad form), he hasn't addressed the priority pain points in United squad.
This better change before the window closes, because otherwise he is set up to fail.

If he is insisting on not moving away from certain targets whilst we have gone out and got other players he wanted in non priority positions, then he has set himself up to fail.

With that said, although the result was disappointing and Atleti are shit houses who should be banned from football, the pre season has largely been encouraging and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game with a few kids in.

Yeah, as is this team isn't finishing in the top four.

At parts today I was reminded of a (better) version of a team like Brighton. Broadly doing the right things but crucially lacking quality in key areas.

Anyone expecting top-four as a given, is deluded.

As you said; the squad is extremely thin and our current first eleven - whatever that will look like - isn't going to look all too amazing. ETH is also implementing a totally new playing style, and some of the players simply aren't going to be a good fit.

I expect this to be an extremely erratic season where we'll finish between 5th and 7th. By next summer, ETH will have a much clearer idea who he can work with from this squad.

We have had the worst points total in our history last season, a dressign room that has given up on a few managers, several talented if very negative influences on the dressing room among them have left for free (not saying I am not happy all have)

Out five rivals have all added quality signings and lets not forget outside of Arteta, these are all top top managers too.

We have a huge squad that is severelt weak in several areas in the first eleven, yet we have essentially so far signed a left back to provide competition to SHaw short term, another midfielder who isnt a defensive one and ideal position is prob a a number 10....like most of our cm options and a centre back who know litle about but like the look of.

When there was talk of another 5-8players possibly being sold, we have only managed to sell one player....for way under £10M....£10M is literally nothing in todays market.

Also of the three players that actually performed at all last season, one is the gk, the other two may never play for the club again competitively.

The truth is very simple Ten Hag may or may not prove himself to be a top top mamager and coach and massively improve our playing style, he is up against other world class managers though at most of his competitors who have improved already better squads of players than we have. We have a godo core of youngsters (but then so do most of our competitors), but to get this group of players we have currently into the top 5 let alone top four, is a huge huge task, we simply need more signings to give this manager far more opportunity this season to be successful.

Hate to say it, but as things stand now, this side doesnt finish in the top four, Ten Hag or no Ten Hag. We need to remember how poor this side individually in so many positions on the pitch let alone collectively. Without a doubt in my mind....we are stillo 4/5 signings short, failure to make 2/3 quality additions....we are further away than last season individually to our competitors

It was very clear he would need time. This is going to be a very up and down season as this squad learns how to play in ETH's style.

He is not a magician to turn turds into diamond. Some of our fans are overrating our players big time. I hope when (hope not) things go south they don't turn on the manager.

With the current squad and no further signings it will be 5th at best finish in league. A lot of those players are hard to trust and plenty of them should only be sub options but given Uniteds lack of strength in depth they'll be regular starters again this season.

If he is insisting on not moving away from certain targets whilst we have gone out and got other players he wanted in non priority positions, then he has set himself up to fail.

With that said, although the result was disappointing and Atleti are shit houses who should be banned from football, the pre season has largely been encouraging and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game with a few kids in.
Agreed on the bolded part.

I enjoyed the game vs Atletico to be honest. It's just our squad is paper thin, we're one injury away injury away from playing Elanga and van de Beek. And (apart from Erikson what was a great move) we've bought 5th Centre Back and 3rd Left Back what is quite ridiculous until we have some real reinforcements.

He is not a magician to turn turds into diamond. Some of our fans are overrating our players big time. I hope when (hope not) things go south they don't turn on the manager.
He’s clearly class. Our pressing during that first half was brilliant. Were now sustaining attacks much better. We’re also far better at progressing the ball from deep. He can’t fix everything in 6 weeks but we’ve clearly made good progress. Now he needs the signings he wants in midfield and attack.

We barely created a single chance in our 60 minutes “domination”. That’s not good. They created a few decent chances (and scored) as soon as they brought on their best players. Also not good.

I’ve been pretty pessimistic about our chances this season for a while now. Today’s performance really just endorses my misgivings. Our squad is paper thin and not particularly great even when everyone is available for selection. There’s no way this ends well without at least two more genuinely top class additions. ETH is a very good manager but he’s not a magician.
Rashford, Martial, Elanga, Maguire all had excellent chances? This is very much "result speak" here, where because we missed our chances and they took one of their few chances it's giving you a whole different image of the game. Of course we need to improve with things, our attacking depth is pathetic and will hold us back this season but I don't think today was a bad friendly at all. We looked good, a lot of encouraging signs throughout apart from Bruno who had one of his bad days and Elanga who I don't see a premier league footballer in. But even without Sancho who is our best attacker, we still played quite well, smoothly and got into dangerous positions very often. Martinez will make a difference with our playing out from the back, Eriksen will make a big difference in terms of final ball but generally yeah, we desperately need attackers past the starting 3.

I guess overall it just depends what you expect from the season. There's a month to go in the window, would be shocked if we didn't bring in 1 or 2 attackers (if Ronaldo leaves then 2), but there's a lot to be encouraged about and provided we have a winger to rotate with Rashford and Sancho ahead of Elanga, then I'm optimistic we get 3rd/4th.

All the more reason why we should have acted early in the window to get in midfielders and that the attacking side needed improving too. everyone knew that last season. The manager will get blamed if results don't go well in the season, it'll always be the case. Players got the blame last season just as much as the manager, yet most are still featuring in the team

That only really applies to De Jong though, no? I would like to think we've worked on other targets in the background for that position which we can pull the trigger on if that move fails to materialise.

Ten Hag spoke of wanting a forward a while ago and we still haven't got one in. That's a problem, especially as we arguably need two.

We clearly still need two additions maybe three if Ronaldo leaves, the right back issue is possibly the same as the ring wing. But today was very positive, atletico are one of the most organized team the very best at playing this brand of football, there are only two sides in the Epl that are clearly superior and we created sufficient chances to win this and kept them out for most of the game.
If this is our starting point then it can only get better.

Booo boooo ETH out!!! How dare he lose a game. Booo booo Maguire shouldn’t have let that shot in. Booo booo martinez is a 55m benchwarmer. Not good enough. Bench the whole team and play the kids. Am i doing this right.

That only really applies to De Jong though, no? I would like to think we've worked on other targets in the background for that position which we can pull the trigger on if that move fails to materialise.

Ten Hag spoke of wanting a forward a while ago and we still haven't got one in. That's a problem, especially as we arguably need two.

But if the pursuit of de Jong involves enough money that it informs who our targets up front are and he isn't moving off of de Jong as his no.1 target then what are we to do? Make that decision for him?

We also don't know what sales ten Hag is/isn't authorising right now or even if there are people bidding for our players.

There have been vague hints at Bailly (£10mil) Williams (£15mil) and possibly Tuanzebe (Loan+£8mil) which is a decent amount of money and wages to reinvest back in but we have another month to sort a lot of this out, ideally it would be done already but selling clubs know the value of that and can afford to prey on a clubs desperation which I think we are also keen to not be a victim of.

We need 2 forwards, a midfielder at least and a Right back.
Our squard is fecking thin!

I like what I’m seeing.

This is the 2nd/3rd best team in Spain.

If ETH can get us top 4 it will be a miracle. This is a poor squad, far poorer than last year.

We clearly still need two additions maybe three if Ronaldo leaves, the right back issue is possibly the same as the ring wing. But today was very positive, atletico are one of the most organized team the very best at playing this brand of football, there are only two sides in the Epl that are clearly superior and we created sufficient chances to win this and kept them out for most of the game.
If this is our starting point then it can only get better.
Yeah all in all for playing a consistent champions league knockout team who are notoriously hard to play against, this was far from a terrible result/performance. Yes they are behind us in their preseason, but they also made way more subs so the fitness element isn't much of a difference. If we can get 1-2 more attackers/midfielders so that our first substitutions are bringing on someone like Eriksen and Rashford rather than Elanga and VDB, then I think we will be okay. But we are a few injuries away (with already injury prone players) from starting championship level players up top.

But if the pursuit of de Jong involves enough money that it informs who our targets up front are and he isn't moving off of de Jong as his no.1 target then what are we to do? Make that decision for him?

We also don't know what sales ten Hag is/isn't authorising right now or even if there are people bidding for our players.

There have been vague hints at Bailly (£10mil) Williams (£15mil) and possibly Tuanzebe (Loan+£8mil) which is a decent amount of money and wages to reinvest back in but we have another month to sort a lot of this out, ideally it would be done already but selling clubs know the value of that and can afford to prey on a clubs desperation which I think we are also keen to not be a victim of.
I would imagine those decisions have already been made. If we've gone as far as agreeing a fee for De Jong, and haven't yet walked away a week before the new season is due to start, we must know what's what in terms of finances available for a forward.

Ten Hag has also inherited a pretty unenviable situation with Ronaldo which has potential to drag on for the rest of the window. I don't think we can really lay much blame at his door if that has a direct consequence on what we can do in the market.

Yeah all in all for playing a consistent champions league knockout team who are notoriously hard to play against, this was far from a terrible result/performance. Yes they are behind us in their preseason, but they also made way more subs so the fitness element isn't much of a difference. If we can get 1-2 more attackers/midfielders so that our first substitutions are bringing on someone like Eriksen and Rashford rather than Elanga and VDB, then I think we will be okay. But we are a few injuries away (with already injury prone players) from starting championship level players up top.
I'm sure we'll still get them signings in, you could see why ETH wants De Jong, I think Fred has been very good and I can see him still starting maybe slightly advanced but we'll need that ball retention De Jong will bring, we press hard and we press well but we'll need to sustain possession longer we'll need that guy that runs the show even at it is now very positive.
I'm looking at this brand of football and the level of execution I'm already seeing after two-three summer window and the potential is immense.
Remember even Pep or Klopp didn't become the force they are now overnight.

I'm sure we'll still get them signings in, you could see why ETH wants De Jong, I think Fred has been very good and I can see him still starting maybe slightly advanced but we'll need that ball retention De Jong will bring, we press hard and we press well but we'll need to sustain possession longer we'll need that guy that runs the show even at it is now very positive.
I'm looking at this brand of football and the level of execution I'm already seeing after two-three summer window and the potential is immense.
Remember even Pep or Klopp didn't become the force they are now overnight.
Yeah you could see the speed of play on a completely different level today from the same players that were atrocious at it last year. Way too often previously a player receives a pass, turns, looks, and then plays a pass all taking a good few seconds. Today and through preseason, it is clear the players have a much better idea of where the ball should go before they receive it and only need to look to make sure the pass is still on. That half second of additional decision making is huge. The on the ball organizational structure we have been begging for since even the Mourinho days appears to finally be here, hopefully it will pay off.

So much about being patient and giving the team and the manager some time, especially in the first half of ten Hag;s first PL foray.

Judging by this thread, vultures seem to be out in full force.

Poor ten Hag.

I seriously don't understand most of you. It is obvious that when ETH came in, this season would be more of a transition season with some negative results bound to happen. The good thing is that ETH has shortened the time by bringing in versatile players who can fill in various positions and we have a squad who is positively reacting to his methods. However, we will still take time to gel and it will be apparent in some of the games this season. Reduce your expectations, otherwise don't watch the club this season.

100% spot on

I think it will be a miracle if he makes these players finish top4 next season, especially first time in the premierleague with his style. I am expecting Klopp kind of first season, probably even worse, even though Klopp had it far easiwr when it comes to top4, and less pressure obviously.

Pretty much how I saw it. Very good performance for the most part, controlled the game and had plenty of chances and dangerous positions, but you gotta put them away. Encouraging for me that we still attacked well even though Sancho wasn't there and the drop off after him is ridiculously big (which is the biggest concern for us).

Status
Not open for further replies.