Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bless you for this douse of reality my brother
Here's another dose of reality for you.

We've played 17 games and lost 9. Now, is that realistic enough or do I add in the goal difference?

wait, did I miss something? Has Ole won us a trophy I'm not aware of?

The reason Ole was let go is because we were in relegation form in his 3rd full season in. Arteta was never this bad for Arsenal.
We were 7th, he was sacked after 5 defeats.

ETH had us down at 12-13th, and now at 8th, also with 5 defeats.

From playing them off the park to conceding 4 goals though. And they were really poor, both individually and tactically. I can't help but think we should have got something out of that game even with 10 men. We had a 2 goal lead at one stage, then went ahead with 15 minutes left. Unless you think no other manager could have managed that game better, then there can be criticism.

A truly good tactician navigates that one easily.

The fallacy in your argument is you are importing said hypothetical tactician in for just this game alone without the said tactician having the weight and burden of

Numerous injuries
Howlers from experienced players he should be relying on
Ref and VAR seeming to have something against you personally
And most importantly, a crisis of lack of confidence

You guys are just addressing symptoms and shadows instead of treating the disease and looking at things holistically

It’s very harsh on Martinez to ignore his performances last season and assume a handful of games this season is what we can expect. Who knows what condition his foot was in when he was playing those games. Not to mention, it’s also been plenty of others out injured through the first 10 games.

I do understand what you’re saying though, he should be doing better than he currently is, and it’s been a tactical mess in certain games. I just don’t think tonight was at all.

Cheers to you o ye rational fan

We ain’t losing to Luton that’s for sure

I actually think with 10 men we navigated the game well. We lost from a silly Dalot error sure but in general with 10 men we played decent. I said the first 40 mins because that's when we had XI men.

Yes city have come back from a man down. They are also a side that have a B and C team that's better than Chelsea's or ours heck it would probably give Arsenal a run too. It's not exactly comparable is it.

And congrats you went in on Ole. I don't think that matters. I'm just saying we played well with XI men. It was encouraging and I think we can get results in the next two if we play that way again.

What I said is not contraversial I don't know why you take an issue with it.

I'm scratching my head and wondering the same

wait, did I miss something? Has Ole won us a trophy I'm not aware of?

The reason Ole was let go is because we were in relegation form in his 3rd full season in. Arteta was never this bad for Arsenal.
You're embarrassing yourself (although that doesn't seem to phase you, as you keep doing it time and time again).

OGS was a clown but we barely improved after he was sacked and still finished 6th and our fans were more than displeased.

Arteta finished 8th twice and then proceeded to bottle 4th to Spuds. If we allow this kind of nonsense at our club, we deserve to keep getting bantered, as delusional takes like yours blind the fanbase to how much of a shit show we're seeing develop in real time.

But hey ho, at least you might get your wish and we finish mid-table this season, so we're truly set on the path of finishing 5th in two years' time

Calm down mate. In case you haven't noticed, ETH always starts slow, but slowly gets better as the season goes on.

The last games we've slowly improved, but tonight the ref decided he doesn't want us to have a good game couple with the fact that we have some very mentally weak players. Goals 3 are literally Wan Bissaka miscontroling the ball passing it back to Onana under a very awkward angle who let's go out for a corner, from which they end up scoring. Goal 4 is our experienced serial CL winner Varane having trouble controling a ball, hoofing away while there is nobody near him resulting in Copenhagen catching us out of formation and scoring.

The point is, even the best managers have a tough time implementing their tactics when he is let down by school boy errors from his own players. Even SAF had some pretty notorious losses in Europe with 10 men in similar circumstances against Real and Bayern. Let's not get carried away. Good performance tonight, but the ref and some of our own cowards fecked everything up.

Two bottles of your fave beer mate!

He's unravelling but is biggest mistake has been not doing everything he can towards signing Harry Kane, he should have demanded that signing.

Saying this on the night where the striker he bought scored two goals is just..

Notwithstanding the fact that Kane could just be another Casemiro signing you lot will be begging to leave the club in just a season

Or the more realistic option of Kane not improving us much in the circumstances we find ourself especially today where the problem wasn't in scoring goals but defending them

Last edited:
Or the more realistic option of Kane not improving us much in the circumstances we find ourself especially today where the problem wasn't in scoring goals but defending them
You could almost say that our manager should have set us differently, right "bro"?

Varane didn’t look like he wanted to even come on today.
Varane seems to want out almost as much as Sancho. With the rest I think it's somewhere between 'they don't care' and 'mere lack of confidence. I think there are a number who would like to think they're still committed to him and working for him, but unconsciously register the fact that they're not being held accountable. They don't have to stay switched on, because the manager isn't going to be ruthless enough, whilst they can point to, say, decent running stats or attempts to do other things the manager has asked them to do in order to claim they're team players. These are players who need to be completely focused and straining every sinew because they're not naturally good enough to coast at 80%, particularly since they're not in a side that can carry them (since at least 40% of the players at any time are in a similar situation)... but they allow themselves to tune out anyway because what are the consequences. The manager makes excuses for his set-up and for the players, a significant sub-set of fans cover for the manager by heaping everything at either insufficient quality or a terrible board (both of those are true as far as they go, but don't tell the whole story - managers have got more consistently fluent football and results out of 'weaker' players).

Dalot is one example - another is Scott, who failed to transition the ball properly on about 5 occasions when he found himself in a bit of space having been picked out with a decent ball from out of defence. Amrabat arguably is another in terms of not moving the ball quickly enough and allowing himself to be crowded out and turned over too often. But this is a manager who will continue to play them even though he has youth players with excellent technical abilities and dynamism knocking at his door.

In my opinion (similar to a good number of other posters here), the sooner we realize that ETH is at most a B/B+ grade manager who's thrived in more conducive environments with established set-ups and got to 3rd through a combination of the last juices of Casemiro's top-class career and a well-managed Rashford purple streak (which he has every 2 or 3 seasons) along with other sides being in transition - a manager who needs to be managed properly from have in terms of squad development (as well as playing a more minor role in recruitment), or moved on - the better.

I wish he would go off Mourinho or Arteta style in the presser against the refs tbh. He's been repeatedly fecked by them and is being nice about it, but nothing will change unless he speaks out and puts pressure on the refs. Don't give a feck if it's a cnut thing to do. Refs have given us nothing since the Onana incident and it won't change til we give an equal amount of outrage the opposite way.

That's one area in which I will also criticize him

He has every reason to rage at the officials but he's just being a softie, feck that shii

Basically you say we're a mid table team, then that would be the drawing on the board for ETH future with us. We're going backward from last season trajectory.

No. I meant we are not playing as a top team as of this moment

Same as we were not a top team as of the two home defeats at the beginning of last season but after the Liverpool win, we all know how the season went

But Ferguson record is in how many years range? In a 15 year range probably. ETH is already in his 2nd year.

Ferguson was beaten 6-1 by City but how many times? Once. ETH will lose by 5 goals when we go to Etihad this season. Add the 6 of last season. You get the frequency of things.

Fergie lost to Pep the two times they met and he lost 6-1 to a City team sans Pep

Imagine the two combined, can you tell me the frequency of loss Fergie will receive from current Pep based on the above please?

Bizarre to try and blame the specific events of tonight on EtH. Always easy to trot out the same drivel when we get beat but none of it is relevant tonight. Played well, got some shitty decisions and a couple of our guys fecked up. It’s horrible anyway.

I’ve not topped up my ignore list in a while and tonight has really helped highlight the thickest of the thick cnuts on the forum, so in that sense I’m grateful.

Tell me about it. Bunch of neurotic pansies are our online fans these days.

Going back to the SAF days.

I remember how we lost 3-2 against Bayern after being 3-0 up in the first 40 minutes and running away with it. I remeber Rafael's red card to Ribery changed the game, but the geniuses on here tell me that top managers grind out results always.

Or the same scenario where we were 1-0 up and had Real on the ropes, until Cnut Cakir decided to send Nani off. Both of the exits still hurt like yesterday.

And yet some geniuses on here believe that 9 man Citeh would beat this team and ignore the fact that we played with 10 man for 60+ minutes until Dalot, Varane and AWB decided that the last 10 minutes of the match is the best time to turn our defense into a circus.

My God! You ended them all with cold undiluted facts.. using their own god (Fergie) at the same time, brilliant!

I wish we could pin this your post to every new page from now on till this hullabaloo blows over for reals

My God! You ended them all with cold undiluted facts.. using their own god (Fergie) at the same time, brilliant!

I wish we could pin this your post to every new page from now on till this hullabaloo blows over for reals
You know there's specific places (hotels) for this activity you're performing in a public space? We don't all need to see it.

Overall we played better than we have for the most part of this season and the first half half an hour was a good away display while the first 30 minutes of the 2nd half went as well as could be expected. Those spells give hope in that unlike a lot of our games this season there were positives and elements to be encouraged by and indicate maybe something to build on while obviously noting that still losing to such a theoretically inferior opposition is incredibly disappointing, conceding 4 goals is piss poor and massive improvements are still needed in the coming games.

Another post to be pinned. Just beautiful

No. I meant we are not playing as a top team as of this moment

Same as we were not a top team as of the two home defeats at the beginning of last season but after the Liverpool win, we all know how the season went

That's nonsensical, if being a top team is periodic to how a team performs throughout parts of a season then there's a glaring issue that your sentiment doesn't cover for which is consistency. United finished 3rd last season, invested on top of that milestone and despite injuries haven't been able to rejuvenate good performances which is compounding the poor results.

If a team is a top team when it suits, than you can't hold the players or manager under any accountability, the agents of the players and manager can impose a pendulum effect theory into their contracts absolving them of any reasonable review. Ridiculous.

Ten Hag isn't perfect but we just produced our best half of the season until the same old mentality problems cost us again.

Exactly.. the problem we have is that of the mind and that is not so easy to fix even after 18months

He needs more time, I swear he does

0-3 vs City
0-3 vs Newcastle
1-0 vs Fulham
3-4 vs Copenhagen

how much goodwill did the injury time escape vs Fulham buy?

I'm not supposed to be behind shit. I support Man United. Ten Hag can feck off from my club.

I don't pray but if I did then it would be to thank God you are far away from the helms of my club's affairs

Exactly.. the problem we have is that of the mind and that is not so easy to fix even after 18months

More time and another £400m so we can lose 5 games out of 6 in the Europa league group stage in a couple years.

We were really good before the red. Probably the most control we've had over a game all season. Can't blame Ten Hag for tonight imo.

We had bad days under SAF as with any manager really. But most of them were wonderful. I think we should just compare him with anybody else.

This is another level of bad though. We’re braking every record we don’t want to break. He needs to figure things out, now.

Compare ETH's first 18 months to Fergie'e first 18 months if you want to actually be fair

Who would you keep and who would you sack?

Will you still say that if he’s lost 15 or 16 matches before Xmas ?

Compare ETH's first 18 months to Fergie'e first 18 months if you want to actually be fair

Who would you keep and who would you sack?
At least Fergie was making changes behind the scenes and creating a new culture. Ten Hag is torpedoing our season with his stubborn refusal to change his shite tactics

Another post to be pinned. Just beautiful
Yeah, just beautiful. You do realise we were playing FC Copenhagen don't you. Their entire Market value is worth less than what we usually pay for one player. We spent 200m on players this summer, they spent 20m. We were leading 2-0 when we went a man down, yet managed to lose 4-3. Beautiful.

Compare my posts to yours, even you would pray to have my level of comprehension and articulation

Your posts lack objectivity but they are hilariously deluded. I think the optimism is admirable to some degree but you have to weigh up both sides of things even with your level of buoyancy.

I'd be a hypocrite to criticise ETH or the team after that. The effort was there, gameplan well executed before and even after the red.

More of that commitment and play style each week and I'll accept whatever result come what may. (All I want to see is the team strive to be competitive).

Refreshing to see.

Are you from the same planet as majority of our fans? I think not!

VAR and red card aside, United should've been able to hold on to the lead after Bruno converted his penalty. We're sorely lacking in organization and composure in all areas of the field.

To add insult to injury, Compahagen weren't that good. We simply gifted them three points and there's no excuse. Ten Hag has to take the barage of just criticism coming his way on the chin and look forward. The Luton game could be a watershed momentt

Status
Not open for further replies.