Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can be out football by a club like burnley, it doesn't make good reading when we come up against other top clubs. Moments of brilliance only gets you so far like Ole found out.

I don't know why it is so hard for us to dominate a team like burnley. Not sure what ETH is doing in training.
How anyone can take any great joy from this result I'll never know. Good to get the 3 points obviously but very concerning yet again.

Well, it's better than Ole's "second place and EL Final" worldie of a season, that we all had to hear about for years. ETH had a pretty decent debut season, all things considered.
I know you love bringing ole into things but I didn’t even mention that. It’s just winning that carling cup while having a fairly or really easy route is enough for some people to ignore everything else

and i notice now that it’s gone from a fantastic season to a pretty decent season

I still support TH, but I couldnt see any pattern in our playor formation. The tactic seems to be everybody behind the ball and hopefully have a moment to hit the mighty Burnley. You could have been watching a Mourinho or Ole team.
Garnacho could have come on for Rashford at around 65 mins. Amrabat could have come on for McTom around the same time as well. To leave it until 87 mins when we were under the cosh to change it shows he hasnt much faith in the subs.

If we can be out football by a club like burnley, it doesn't make good reading when we come up against other top clubs. Moments of brilliance only gets you so far like Ole found out.

I don't know why it is so hard for us to dominate a team like burnley. Not sure what ETH is doing in training.

Chelsea didn’t play Burnley?:confused:

regardless of how long he stays, I don't really see him doing anything of note here. he'll be neither success neither disaster. he has reputation that doesn't match what we often see on the pitch. if he was some old English manager, you would be calling him a dinosaur by now.

We are missing half of our starting 11, coming back from 3 defeats and playing loan players because the board can't afford signings due to FFP.

Anyone trying to blame the manager must not have seen the last 10 years at the club. The owners force managers to manage with 1 hand tied behind their back.

But that’s what I’m asking, where’s the chore? We’re fecking box office at the minute. We will take the game to top teams, miss wide open chances, get fecked over on important VAR decisions then watch 2 more players hobble off that makes the next game that much harder.
Every game bar Wolves could honestly have finished 4-3 either way.

It's a chore watching us as our football is messy and disjointed. I don't enjoy watching that, no. I wish we could actually play football like top teams play football. We looked a genuinely good side in the making for a few months after the WC, and played some really attractive football. Today, was a terrible watch, Wolves was a terrible watch and the less said about the Bayern and Brighton matches, the better.

agreed. we want the kind of manager that would labour to a 0-0 draw against bournemouth, a generational type waster.

How anyone can take any great joy from this result I'll never know. Good to get the 3 points obviously but very concerning yet again.
Think the joy is from the fact that it could have been worse and we would have not gotten 3 points. Which, I understand, but that doesn't look at the bigger picture. Performance like this shows to me that we are not good enough and we will be found out by better teams if we don't change our performance.

ETH is fortunate he has clinical attackers. It means we don't really have to play amazing football to get result.

agreed. we want the kind of manager that would labour to a 0-0 draw against bournemouth, a generational type waster.

We want the kind of manager that dominates stats, play good football and get results. ETH has all the tools to do that, but he isn't. ETH doesn't have a squad filled with kids or no natural finishers in his team, so i dont know why he is struggling to dominate a team like burnley. Context matters a lot

I know you love bringing ole into things but I didn’t even mention that. It’s just winning that carling cup while having a fairly or really easy route is enough for some people to ignore everything else

and i notice now that it’s gone from a fantastic season to a pretty decent season

No, I mentioned it because people actually have the neck to slag off a LC win and 3rd place. The exact SAME posters who acted like 2nd place and a EL final was some massive achievement. I just find the hyprosicy amazing.

A clean sheet with second string back four and after getting hit for 3 a few games in a row. Johnny evans putting in a good performance and showing us he can still compete at the top level. Hannibal putting in a decent performance and as you say three points away from home. All the reasons I am feeling good after that game.

What were you expecting? These are the sort of wins that get you back into form.

The manager just wanted 3 points after 3 losses so I can understand he was hesitant to bring on more. He did start Hannibal.

We are missing half of our starting 11, coming back from 3 defeats and playing loan players because the board can't afford signings due to FFP.

Anyone trying to blame the manager must not have seen the last 10 years at the club. The owners force managers to manage with 1 hand tied behind their back.

Or because we paid 60m for Mount and 70m for Hojlund.

feck me cheer up some of you are absolutely dour.

We’ve picked up 3 points after a stunning goal despite having so many injuries or players absent.

feck me cheer up some of you are absolutely dour.

We’ve picked up 3 points after a stunning goal despite having so many injuries or players absent.
Some people are just a bit gutted we won so they couldn't have more of a complain.

He set us up to win no matter what today, went back to basics. This clearly isn’t his style of football but if we hadn’t won today we were in full crisis and there would’ve been calls for his head. We’ve managed to avoid that, and I’m sure we’ll begin to play better progressive football when we get a few players back.

The way I see it is that we're just grinding through games until we whittle down our injury list. Putting a team together is a case of 'who is actually available?' rather than what's the best makeup of an 11 to defeat the opposition. It's been a very weird season already...

I’m at peace with happens with ETH. We’ve seen the journey before and how it plays out if he doesn’t transition us to a more possession heavy style or coach a phenomenal press into the team. I think there’s ideas there and I do want to see how we handle this run of supposedly easier fixtures now.

I will say for a very rotated team with some obvious weaknesses we did well enough.

if we were on 34 games played and needing the 3 points, this would be a great result.

and therefore it is still a great result

But
He set us up to win no matter what today, went back to basics. This clearly isn’t his style of football but if we hadn’t won today we were in full crisis and there would’ve been calls for his head. We’ve managed to avoid that, and I’m sure we’ll begin to play better progressive football when we get a few players back.
But what is his style of football. You would struggle to discern a style during his time at united

So with the team we put out, we shouldn't expect to dominate 20th place team burnley? I understand that injuries is a hindrance which I stated before, but I just want to see us have better statistical numbers to at least tell me that we are going in the right direction

No, I mentioned it because people actually have the neck to slag off a LC win and 3rd place. The exact SAME posters who acted like 2nd place and a EL final was some massive achievement. I just find the hyprosicy amazing.
And that had nothing to do with my initial post you quoted? So I’m unsure why you felt the need to even mention Ole.

ten hag won the carling cup after an easy run. It was good, people were happy. Since that and the start of this season the football has been pretty bad and is often a hard watch, but mention that and you just get met with ‘he won a trophy’.

yeah I liked ole as our manager and wanted him to do well, I also like ten hag as our manager and hope he does well, as soon as fecking possible because it’s painful at the moment and fans are already becoming divided

So with the team we put out, we shouldn't expect to dominate 20th place team burnley? I understand the issue is a hindrance which I stated before, but I just want to see is have better statistical numbers to at least tell me that we are going in the right direction

Even if you lot beat Villa tomorrow, you's are still behind us. So pipe down, your new manager ain't setting the world alight.

To all the ones moaning about the defence or players missing, we still had more internationals on the pitch than Burnley. Stop making stupid excuses.

And that had nothing to do with my initial post you quoted? So I’m unsure why you felt the need to even mention Ole.

ten hag won the carling cup after an easy run. It was good, people were happy. Since that and the start of this season the football has been pretty bad and is often a hard watch, but mention that and you just get met with ‘he won a trophy’.

yeah I liked ole as our manager and wanted him to do well, I also like ten hag as our manager and hope he does well, as soon as fecking possible because it’s painful at the moment and fans are already becoming divided

It just seemed a strange thing to laugh at all things considered. ETH done relatively well last season, and this season hasn't started great. There's a plethora of reasons for that, but ultimately it's on him to sort it out. Ole done relatively well at points, but ultimately wasn't good enough. Let's hope ETH fares better.

Well who knows but it is hard to play slick football with so many injuries.

It's not ideal but not impossible when your players are well coached. These guys train together, undertake the same tactical briefings, go through the same drills together every day. When you see a Brighton team with less quality than us to begin with, then have half their team missing and still put in a great performance, it kills that argument a bit. I don't mind grinding out a win, but let's not pretend you can't play good football with some back up players in the team.

Many of these players haven't even played badly individually either. Evans put in a better performance than our regular first choice tonight. Who's inclusion tonight do you think would have prevented that?

To put into context, player for player it would be like Man City having:

Ortega (Heaton), Ake(Shaw), Gvardiol (Martinez), Walker (AWB), Sergio Gomez (Reguilon), Rico Lewis (Malacia), Foden(Mount), Bernardo (Antony), Doku (Sancho), Nunes (Mainoo) and whoever Amad and Maguires equivalent would be. And before today, Stones (Varane) and Kovacic (Amrabat)

Obviously, this is not with respect to quality but pecking order (ie Ake, Gvardiol, Bernardo etc being starters). Does anyone really think Man City would look anywhere near as good with all these players out?

They've had a few injuries this season. We've both played 23 players already in the league according to the stats shown during the game.

It's hard not to be disappointed with the standard of our play, of course there are a lot of extenuating circumstances but he's a lot more pragmatic and risk averse then I though he'd be, we've adopted a safety fist approach and don't take care of the ball at all which is tough to watch in this day and age when you even have the likes of Burnley switching to composed possession football. I hope this is all temporary until we can build some momentum but it's tough to just switch your style midway through a season.

Risk averse is the opposite of the approach he's taken this season. Last season yes, he took the pragmatic approach, but this season we're playing a man-marking system, pressing very high and gambling on our players winning their 1 on 1s.

There are reasons to b concerned , not all down to manager.

But I remember Ferguson reverting to very defensive stuff at times when we lost and looked vulnerable.

indeed drawing 4-4 with Everton and reverting to the most defensive side I ever saw the next week in our 1-0 loss away to city when they first won the league proved that.

We did ok against Bayern away even if we were poor aswell.

None of this makes everything ok, but winning today was all that matters. Next game we need to win and then with player’s returning you’d expect an upward trajectory.

The amount of hysterIa from some people in here is gas. I’m just glad I can logout and leave some of you to stew in your own venom.

So with the team we put out, we shouldn't expect to dominate 20th place team burnley? I understand that injuries is a hindrance which I stated before, but I just want to see us have better statistical numbers to at least tell me that we are going in the right direction

You’re not very bright are you.

To put into context, player for player it would be like Man City having:

Ortega (Heaton), Ake(Shaw), Gvardiol (Martinez), Walker (AWB), Sergio Gomez (Reguilon), Rico Lewis (Malacia), Foden(Mount), Bernardo (Antony), Doku (Sancho), Nunes (Mainoo) and whoever Amad and Maguires equivalent would be. And before today, Stones (Varane) and Kovacic (Amrabat)

Obviously, this is not with respect to quality but pecking order (ie Ake, Gvardiol, Bernardo etc being starters). Does anyone really think Man City would look anywhere near as good with all these players out?

Scott Carson

Status
Not open for further replies.