Eric "Ezza" ten Hag signs new contract (until June 2026)

He got to go, but Eneos being absolutely smart here, keep him just enough until someone worthwhile pops up. Terminating him will be cheaper later. He must have also realized how fortunate he is to have the job to accept this mini extension. All is well.
Doesn't seem smart letting him keep the transfer veto, and then backing him with targets like De Ligt and Zirkzee

Genius move by INEOS. Keep ETH around for the transition period for the squad. Then when all the gumpf has been removed. The manager of their ideal choosing can come in and go onto win the major trophies.

Surprised at the 6 year deal

Make no difference what so ever. The only point of concern, is how much to sack him. I suppose he would ask for high fee (e.g. 2y) but Club would not, so probably some compromise in-between, such as no sacking in 2025 but 1y termination thereafter.

Doesn't seem smart letting him keep the transfer veto, and then backing him with targets like De Ligt
I will be more interested in what sort of fees we pay and if unlike in the past we tell him that the other club are asking too much, so move on. That has been the big issue, Antony at a lower fee is not a great problem as he would be easier to move, instead we allowed ourselves to be rinsed. The wages given will be some indicator as well. I would not take presses word for how much is being paid.

Doesn't seem smart letting him keep the transfer veto, and then backing him with targets like De Ligt and Zirkzee
It's a good thing Ineos suggested de Ligt first then, isn't it?

The fact they couldn’t come to an agreement on fresh terms despite the time taken indicates there’s still a fair bit a mistrust between the new structure and Eth. The public comms has also been poorly managed
  1. Sack leaks pre final
  2. Public pursuit of alternatives post final
  3. Post search announcing a “contract renegotiation”
  4. Only to end up Triggering and announcing an already existing option after weeks of “talks”
Not mad at the outcome but the process didn’t need to erode this much goodwill on all sides. Hope I’m wrong and they find some forward momentum to right this ship.

Had to happen with him staying.

The veto remaining makes sense, can't be signing players the manager doesn't want... Just as long as the board/new structure have a veto too.

It makes perfect sense to extend: he has to be supported, but a new 3 year contract off the back of last season would be mental.

I don't get it. If they didn't renegotiate and just trigger the 1-year-extension, why even bother doing that now when you can do it whenever. See how he fares this season and a clean break if it doesn't work out.

I thought the point of the extension is to change his title, responsibility, and probably a more beneficial exit clause for the club.

Had to happen with him staying.

The veto remaining makes sense, can't be signing players the manager doesn't want... Just as long as the board/new structure have a veto too.
I imagine there will be more discussions around transfers to avoid him vetoing a really top talent. These are experienced men we have brought in, not the people he was dealing with before.

It's a good thing Ineos suggested de Ligt first then, isn't it?
Ah just another coincidence then

I don't get it. If they didn't renegotiate and just trigger the 1-year-extension, why even bother doing that now when you can do it whenever. See how he fares this season and a clean break if it doesn't work out.

I thought the point of the extension is to change his title, responsibility, and probably a more beneficial exit clause for the club.
Have a feeling the negotiations for a new contract failed

We can‘t go in to the season and transfer window not backing the manager.

Why would Ten Hag agree to more favourable terms for INEOS? That makes no sense.

So far the right noises are coming out from OT..
Ashford appointment, the transfer linked players in and the ones out, all seem to be a positive so far...
Only time will tell if the right calls have been made..

I think this whole veto thing has been overblown . What do people think happened?

The club had no prior knowledge of any of Eth signings , eth insisted on them all , the club offered great alternatives , which he ' vetoed' ' to insist on his choices .

Or , the club were already aware of those players , they were on the list ( we scouted 800 right backs to find wan bissaka ) . The club didn't offer great alternatives , so naturally ETH would be more likely to veto the players he didn't know .

The selection offered has to improve , the fees paid has to improve . The club are still looking at Dutch players , if ten hag leaves , that will continue .

When offered a selection , it's human nature to go with the ones you know about .

I think this whole veto thing has been overblown . What do people think happened?

The club had no prior knowledge of any of Eth signings , eth insisted on them all , the club offered great alternatives , which he ' vetoed' ' to insist on his choices .

Or , the club were already aware of those players , they were on the list ( we scouted 800 right backs to find wan bissaka ) . The club didn't offer great alternatives , so naturally ETH would be more likely to veto the players he didn't know .

The selection offered has to improve , the fees paid has to improve . The club are still looking at Dutch players , if ten hag leaves , that will continue .

When offered a selection , it's human nature to go with the ones you know about .
To be fair Ole signed AWB, he was interested in Frimpong wasn't he at one point. Bet he is glad he stayed put.

It’s not really a new deal, we just triggered his additional year already.

Quite disappointed, I had hoped we were going to give him a proper vote of confidence and truly extend his deal for another 3-4 years, this is not a great signal at all.

Sure

Although I was more interested in knowing the state of the forum after EtH's contract extension

Well a lot of us felt him staying was the wrong decision but the decision to keep him has been made now and isnt going to change so there is no point in moaning about this news however Im sure the majority of posters on here will be glad that he wasnt given a massive new 4 or 5 year contract.

All we can do now is get behind him and the team and hope for the best in the coming season.

We can‘t go in to the season and transfer window not backing the manager.

Why would Ten Hag agree to more favourable terms for INEOS? That makes no sense.

Chelsea keep changing their head coach hasn't deterred anyone from signing for them.

Complete and utter joke of a decision to keep him and then to extend his contract. From what I have seen so far I can’t see how next season will be much different to the shitshow of last season.

Complete and utter joke of a decision to keep him and then to extend his contract. From what I have seen so far I can’t see how next season will be much different to the shitshow of last season.

I disagree. There are arguments for and against ETH. Sure our EPL results were shocking. In normal circumstances that's an easy sackable performance. However the squad was plagued with injuries and ETH was probably facing dressing room unrest (that was consistent across various managers).

With Wilcox and Blanc joining in late April and Ashworth + Berrada not yet in the building we were pretty much judging ETH and interviewing managers in the dark. Then of course there was the financial issue to take into account. ETH would have costed us 9m and another manager would probably have costed us 4m-8m to sign. That on top to another 10m needed to release Ashworth. We couldn't possibly spend 23m on staff, not with the transfer budget that we have to work with.

Activating ETH's extension makes sense. It basically kicks the can down the road which in turn gives us time for the decision makers to come in, settle down, investigate what's going wrong and implement the necessary changes at the club. INEOS are not renowned for their patience therefore if ETH fecks up then next summer he'll be given the P45

I disagree. There are arguments for and against ETH. Sure our EPL results were shocking. In normal circumstances that's an easy sackable performance. However the squad was plagued with injuries and ETH was probably facing dressing room unrest (that was consistent across various managers).

With Wilcox and Blanc joining in late April and Ashworth + Berrada not yet in the building we were pretty much judging ETH and interviewing managers in the dark. Then of course there was the financial issue to take into account. ETH would have costed us 9m and another manager would probably have costed us 4m-8m to sign. That on top to another 10m needed to release Ashworth. We couldn't possibly spend 23m on staff, not with the transfer budget that we have to work with.

Activating ETH's extension makes sense. It basically kicks the can down the road which in turn gives us time for the decision makers to come in, settle down, investigate what's going wrong and implement the necessary changes at the club. INEOS are not renowned for their patience therefore if ETH fecks up then next summer he'll be given the P45
Yes, there really is no clear sliding door situation atm where lots is likely to be won by making a shift right now. There are equally good arguments to take a chance that Ten Hag’s one bad season in ten years will be a fluke, as to take a chance of any of the unclear or hopeful candidates available atm. And at a point when the whole sports leadership is in transition, might as well chance on the staus quo until the set up is settled.

Very interesting how all the public-facing communications make it sound like a new contract, when it's really just the one-year option being exercised.

Absolutely bang on.

Yes, there really is no clear sliding door situation atm where lots is likely to be won by making a shift right now. There are equally good arguments to take a chance that Ten Hag’s one bad season in ten years will be a fluke, as to take a chance of any of the unclear or hopeful candidates available atm. And at a point when the whole sports leadership is in transition, might as well chance on the staus quo until the set up is settled.

I think we handled it beautifully TBH. It gave us time for the decision makers to start working with us, investigate what's truly happening under the hood, implement the necessary changes and plan for the future. If ETH is the right man then we had spared 14m. If not then he gets the sack and we would have all the time in the world to choose his replacement

I'm not sure this moves the needle in any way.

If he does well it just gives the club more control, it also means players can't be looking at him thinking he's definitely gone at the end of the season so it somewhat bolsters his position without committing long, long term.

But make no mistake it won't mean that he's not out on his arse if league performance doesn't show substantial improvement. They're not gonna double down on ETH just because of exercising a year in his deal.