Eric "Ezza" ten Hag signs new contract (until June 2026)

2026 is fine.
Once they'd opted to stick with him, they couldn't really just leave it with him being out of contract at the end of the season as the talk of his departure would just rumble on.

However we had the option of taking up an extra year, and this is just the equivalent of that really, while presumably addressing any changes to the role with the new set up.

2026 is the right date - gives ETH a bit of security to have a fair crack of the whip in the upcoming season; and doesn't put us out much financially if we do decide to replace him before then.

EDIT: Just seen that it is just triggering the extra one year on existing deal. Again, makes sense, as it wouldn't be a fair go at it if he went into the season with his contract winding down and continual media talk about it.

He'll be sacked by Christmas or next summer latest.

Weird how the Caf's opinion is different to the general consensus.

Hoping we have a good first half of the season and he can get an actual new contract rather than just activating the option on this.

Feels like things have changed for the better at this club: no more kneejerk decision making, but careful evaluation and planning.

Hopefully this translates also to a better transfer window.

So who would you replace him with this summer? a realistic answer please.
I would’ve gone for Tuchel personally.

I would’ve just activated his 12 month extension and given him 10 PL games to see if he’s implemented a positive and fluid style of play.

Dan Ashworth, Manchester United sporting director, said:
  • “With two trophies in the past two seasons, Erik has reinforced his record as one of the most consistently successful coaches in European football.
  • "While the club’s review of last season highlighted areas for improvement, it also reached a clear conclusion that Erik was the best partner for us to work with in driving up standards and outcomes.
  • "This group of players and staff have already shown they are capable of competing and winning at the top level; now we need to do it more consistently.
  • "With our strengthened football leadership team now in place, we are looking forward to working hand-in-hand with Erik to achieve our shared ambitions for this football club.”

I'm guessing they couldn't agree on a new deal, so they extended the current one. I'm fine with that. ETH now has to front up and prove his worth, and show that he can work alongside the new team and not abuse his veto in transfers. But if it goes wrong, the compensation exposure isn't too bad.

2026 is fine.
Once they'd opted to stick with him, they couldn't really just leave it with him being out of contract at the end of the season as the talk of his departure would just rumble on.

However we had the option of taking up an extra year, and this is just the equivalent of that really, while presumably addressing any changes to the role with the new set up.

2026 is the right date - gives ETH a bit of security to have a fair crack of the whip in the upcoming season; and doesn't put us out much financially if we do decide to replace him before then.

EDIT: Just seen that it is just triggering the extra one year on existing deal. Again, makes sense, as it wouldn't be a fair go at it if he went into the season with his contract winding down and continual media talk about it.

Exactly this. It's a win-win for everyone. If ETH under performs like last year under the new structure and is sacked, it'll be only 1 or 1.5 year worth of payoff.

Lovely that we're getting upper management sorted out, but down there on the pitch we still have an incompetent manager who we've just rewarded for said incompetence, and make players who either don't seem to be arsed, or simply are nowhere near the standard.

This makes it look like there are no standards when it comes to the part of football that counts. Be useless, clueless, incompetent, lazy, doesn't matter at United. You'll get a fat new contract whether you're a player or manager.

And yes, I know the new contract is also to change some of his contract details but I still don't agree with signing him up for longer when he's shown that he is inept.

Having a veto shouldn't be an issue, buying players the manager doesn't want to play is a waste of money and never ends well for anyone.

The big problem with ten hag has always been his choice of player. His picks have been bloody terrible on the whole. As long as its other people doing the choosing, we should be better off in terms of squad building.

This is nothing not even worth announcing . We had an option from when he originally signed. We've just taken that option.

Gives INEOS time to find the man they want and gives ETH time to find form.

My prediction.

Gone by Xmas.

There are rumours that early designs of the new stadium are said to include the "Collossus of Heh" Option - where the East end of the stadium will be straddled by a 200 feet tall representation of Erik Ten Hag in bronze.

Fans will enter the stadium by travelling between the sturdy ankles of the Dutch Maestro. "Executive Corporate viewing platforms" will be built into the statues taught buttocks and manly shoulders, with the option to dine at Half time in the "Erik Ten Hag Trophy Gallery" in the head of the statue.

Diners can view current trophies on display while multimedia screens convey the inner thoughts of the great man with formations, transition moments and Anthony cutting in and trying a shot with his left foot that flies over the bar.

Good news.

The less drama going into the 24/25 season the better it will be for everyone.

Nice to hear from Ashworth as well, having another to answer and send a clear message publicly is a big plus.

I would’ve gone for Tuchel personally.

I would’ve just activated his 12 month extension and given him 10 PL games to see if he’s implemented a positive and fluid style of play.

Was reported he turned us down, so that doesn't count as a realistic option.

I've got no problem with this, gives Utd a bit of leeway if the results carry on being horrendous whilst also giving Erik enough show of support to stamp some authority on the some of the players probably sat around waiting to see if he'd get removed.

Also nice to see Ashworth's name all over this straight away, I assume the delay in announcing an extension was for him to be seen to be included in the decision making process at the start of a new era.

a veto is absolutely fine. Choosing all the players yourself would be bad. But that's not possible as other people involved also have vetos

you have to give a manager enough agency to do his job

there is little point in having a manager who couldn't veto a transfer, if you feel that way about his decision making he shouldn't be in the job

a healthy system is having a group of people who all need to agree on a transfer. It has to be all yeses or it's a non starter.

I wanted him gone.
We have a new structure in place, they've decided to keep him on and I'm happy to trust that process

This makes Ten Hag the highest paid manager in football. Significantly higher than Ancelotti and Pep!

I cannot confirm if the statement above is true by the way.