Enzo 'Terry' Fernandez | Vice-Captain of Chelsea

I'm not talking about likely I'm talking about possible. So no there isnt a guarantee that Chelsea need to pay the entire fee but yes of course its most likely unless he becomes one of the best few players in the world and some other team wishes he was available for £105 million.

Chelsea obviously believe he's going to be a top player else they arent setting up a deal that can reach that amount without basing it on success. If he's the top central midfielder in the world in 2-3 years anything can happen. Whoever wants to be the top team in the world may have the funds to make a deal.

However right now he just has to deliver on £30 million. If he's just a good player this season thats fine. In the future he needs to deliver on £30 million+ the extra amounts added yearly. Just being a good player wont cut it after a couple of seasons. He needs to develop
What are you talking about? If he fails massively in his first season and Chelsea decide to sell him immediately, that does not mean he was a 30 mil failure. That would still mean he was a 120 mil failure. Unless someone stupid comes along and pays Chelsea the remaining amount, they will incur a loss in that scenario. So he HAS to perform from the first season itself.

You have a very strange way of looking at transfers. So Pogba was only a poor signing after 3-4 years with when his fee paid to Juve reached around 60-70 mil?

More similarities with Woody:
https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/m...21051/ed-woodward-manchester-united-transfers

This is like that South Park "The Hobbit" episode with Kanye West where he vigourously tries to defend his wife isn't a Hobbit, then more similarities arise to a point where it's futile not to accept it. Then:
In the story, the hobbit becomes beautiful through a magical power called "Photoshop", but her true nature is exposed by a little girl who takes her Photoshop away. However, the hobbit's fiancé tells her that he loves her regardless.

Also a coincidence he turned out around the time Woody disappeared.

He’s a good player, but 120+ million? Maybe, but he’ll need to be running most games at that money, and the expectation will be that he pulls Chelsea around right now.

There’s a few unhappy players now, Potter hasn’t won the fans round and they aren’t playing well.

I hope they keep choking, Fernandez flops and Boehly’s project fails. If it fails there in the next couple of years, Boehly has jammed them up badly for a long time.

Tell me le last time a player sold for +80 millions was sold after with profit (so for more than the initial fee of +80 millions)?

It’s high likely Chelsea will lose money with him.

What are you talking about? If he fails massively in his first season and Chelsea decide to sell him immediately, that does not mean he was a 30 mil failure. That would still mean he was a 120 mil failure. Unless someone stupid comes along and pays Chelsea the remaining amount, they will incur a loss in that scenario. So he HAS to perform from the first season itself.

You have a very strange way of looking at transfers. So Pogba was only a poor signing after 3-4 years with when his fee paid to Juve reached around 60-70 mil?
It's ridiculous really, judging this transfer in isolation

All of our signings in recent years are based on installments. At least from memory in 2021, the fees for all of Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo were to be paid in equal installments each year. Does that mean Sancho only needed to play like a £15m winger last year?

This amount could be a huge load in Enzo’s back. He has to deliver for 121 million €. Mad

Price is crazy as despite the wolrd cup he has only had half a season in Europe. I think he has everything in his game though to become a craking midfielder and all the pundits lobelling it a lot of money for a holding midfielder are crazy, is also very good going forward.

But he is one of several deals will hit Chelsea financially over a period of time if the move doesnt work out or the player becomes unhappy. Fernandez is one I think will be a fan favourite.....but not sure he will be hapy over time as I still feel the manager fails and the dressing room falls apart

He will indeed

Massive pressure, more than Pogba even, as he is already a WC winner, Pogba wasn't a WC winner yet when joined United.

Fresh WC winner + 121 million fee, people will expect Modric-esque performances every week, and as soon as Chelsea as a team does poorly (not reaching top 4 or being underwhelming in Europe), the price tag will always be mentioned.

Pogba was under the microscope from United fans too, some felt he was let down and some felt he let the club down, with Enzo, there wont be no the club have left him down. They have backed the manager and I am told Enzo is a complete midfielder so he will not requite any unlocking.

I mean the first 6 months if it doesn't go well excuses will be climatizing to the league, which is fair enough, come next season, he has to dominate that midfield.

Chelsea's midfield cannot be dominated now.

Tell me le last time a player sold for +80 millions was sold after with profit (so for more than the initial fee of +80 millions)?

It’s high likely Chelsea will lose money with him.
Neymar's the only one I can think of.

Ronaldo as well… albeit a minor profit given inflation….

And I don’t know how much Inter bought and sold Lukaku but they did get a profit.

Lukaku at Inter for €80M and then to us for more :lol:

Other than that maybe only Ronaldo from Real to Juve and even that's a bad comparison because he spent almost a decade there and it was fecking Ronaldo.

Though in a lot of cases involving players moving for 80M+ we're talking about players in their prime years so it's only natural that their value declines as they age even if they're great signings, like Suarez to Barca or Van Dijk to Liverpool. In case of a young player like Enzo it's very much possible, if he's a success, that his value would at the very least stay in the same ballpark or maybe even increase but I think the question is a bit irrelevant because if he's a success I very much doubt we'd even be looking to sell him in the next 3-5 years but rather just keep building our team around him. Now if he's a flop then that's a whole other question.

Though in a lot of cases involving players moving for 80M+ we're talking about players in their prime years so it's only natural that their value declines as they age even if they're great signings, like Suarez to Barca or Van Dijk to Liverpool. In case of a young player like Enzo it's very much possible, if he's a success, that his value would at the very least stay in the same ballpark or maybe even increase but I think the question is a bit irrelevant because if he's a success I very much doubt we'd even be looking to sell him in the next 3-5 years but rather just keep building our team around him. Now if he's a flop then that's a whole other question.

Osimhen is a good exemple of the latter group. He was bought for 75 and will be sold for around 100… Age and performance are crucial.

The "its cheap if you divide it" mentality is how people have so much debt. Buy now pay later. Live now die later.

Who is making these sorts of specific predictions and why is that necessary? Has every great player ever been highly rated as a teenager?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/gallery/ranked-50-best-teenagers-world-football

You need only look at something like this to realise it's all a crapshoot...
Of course. My point isn't that he's a bad player based on his youth career, it's that the claims of how good he was in Argentina justifying his transfer fee to Chelsea are extremely unconvincing. He was highly rated there, but he wasn't rated better than any other 10-15 million youngsters going to Europe every year and the insane fee imo has to be justified fully by his World Cup and half a season in Benfica. This doesn't mean he won't play well, just that it's an extremely risky move by Chelsea.

Our Portuguese posters are well-clued on such matters. Wonder what they have to say.

He's better than Tchouameni, I'd stake my life on it.

It's hard to say what Enzo's ceiling is because he was so obviously significantly better than any other player in the Portuguese league. What is especially encouraging is how flexible he is - an incredible asset when trying to break down a deep defense (as is the case for most of Benfica's league matches), but also capable of sitting deeper, doing defensive work, and playing a transition game in the CL matches against PSG, for instance.

Going into the World Cup, I was yammering on to anyone who'd listen that he was the second best midfielder present at the tournament - and I don't think I was wrong. For me he and Jude are the two best midfield prospects since Pogba.

Of course. My point isn't that he's a bad player based on his youth career, it's that the claims of how good he was in Argentina justifying his transfer fee to Chelsea are extremely unconvincing. He was highly rated there, but he wasn't rated better than any other 10-15 million youngsters going to Europe every year and the insane fee imo has to be justified fully by his World Cup and half a season in Benfica. This doesn't mean he won't play well, just that it's an extremely risky move by Chelsea.

I mean that's just not true. He was considered the best player on the continent by anyone who knew anything.

If united were in for him Chelsea wouldn't stand a chance. he got the better option from the ones he had.

Guy's let's discuss this.

Is he better than 22 year old Fabregas?

1. I don't think so.

2. Can he have a better career than Fabregas, probably. (Already a world champion @22). Fabregas didn't win EPL or UCL

3. Pound for pound would Fabregas cost a British Transfer Fee @22, absolutely but still with hindsight we know how his career panned out.

It's such a delicate transfer when you mix, player qualities, playing position, experience of the player and expected results.

Edit... Fabregas did win league twice with Chelsea, really forgot about his Chelsea period.
With this new info, Enzo has to hit top club success to be in the same table with Fabregas let alone in skillset area.

Regarding 2 - That’s a huge reach. Fabregas is incredibly well decorated. I’d be amazed if Enzo won as much as Cesc.

I mean that's just not true. He was considered the best player on the continent by anyone who knew anything.
So by whom exactly and in what timeframe? And why did no bigger clubs outbid Benfica for him then? Work permits are an issue in England, but Man City and Brighton still regurarly get good youngsters from there and it's not like other leagues don't have bigger clubs. I sincerely doubt this is enough to give Benfica a free run for him.

So by whom exactly and in what timeframe? And why did no bigger clubs outbid Benfica for him then? Work permits are an issue in England, but Man City and Brighton still regurarly get good youngsters from there and it's not like other leagues don't have bigger clubs. I sincerely doubt this is enough to give Benfica a free run for him.

Plenty of teams bid for him - including Man United, Juventus, Liverpool, and Wolves. Benfica's bid was preferred because they offered a generous sell-on clause, have a proven track record of developing / giving minutes to young players, it's a relatively easy transition culturally for South Americans, and could offer CL football immediately.

Plenty of teams bid for him - including Man United, Juventus, Liverpool, and Wolves. Benfica's bid was preferred because they offered a generous sell-on clause, have a proven track record of developing / giving minutes to young players, it's a relatively easy transition culturally for South Americans, and could offer CL football immediately.
Any sources for those bids? The only things I can find are about 'linking' or 'tracking' a player, but those are basically meaningless.

Most of the top teams were looking at him. He and River chose Benfica, wisely as it turned out.
Looking at him, sure. Obviously a key player for River is going to be scouted. But they look at thousands of players and that alone is never going to be enough to claim that he 'was considered the best player on the continent by anyone who knew anything'. As far as I can see, there are also no mentions of offers in those articles. Some explicitly claim that there wasn't one yet, just maybe in some future.

Looking at him, sure. Obviously a key player for River is going to be scouted. But they look at thousands of players and that alone is never going to be enough to claim that he 'was considered the best player on the continent by anyone who knew anything'. As far as I can see, there are also no mentions of offers in those articles. Some explicitly claim that there wasn't one yet, just maybe in some future.

I'm not basing it on how many people scouted him - that's the only metric you have?

It was common knowledge that he and Julian Alvarez were the two best players in the Americas. I also outlined all the reasons why he went to Benfica anyway - the point is not every elite South American player goes directly to a big club and it's not really reflective of their quality if they don't do so.

Impressive, you managed to name every banned RedCafe source in one sitting. I can't believe someone is unironically quoting the Daily Mail and the Mirror as their source for news, forget to add the Sun, did we? Also even in those sources no one mentioned a bid which is what the poster asked for proof of. Suck it up and admit you were wrong.

Impressive, you managed to name every banned RedCafe source in one sitting. I can't believe someone is unironically quoting the Daily Mail and the Mirror as their source for news, forget to add the Sun, did we? Also even in those sources no one mentioned a bid which is what the poster asked for proof of. Suck it up and admit you were wrong.

Mate those are hardly what I've got bookmarked. It's more or less impossible to google anything Fernandez-related at the moment.

Again, this is all irrelevant because the guy I was responding to apparently rates young players by the bids received for him. That the notion that a young player would choose to go to Benfica over other clubs is somehow an indictment of his quality.

Regardless here's a proper source confirming your interest:

I wanted him for United so badly. Feck you Rui Costa, you delivered the codes to Agent Smith Boehly.

Will have to follow Chelsea now. As if it wasn't enough with Brighton, City and of course as always, United.

Bad sources but even if their information is correct nowhere does it say in any of those articles that any club aside Benfica actually made a bid. Interest and bid are substantially different.

Surely he's not worth 100+ million for that kind of money I'm looking at players like Kroos, Modric, Tchouaméni ?
Modric is one of the greats so incomparable really.

But let’s see how he and Tchouameni fair in the coming years. Based on the WC Enzo looked a more exciting player to me albeit it was a small sample size. What I loved about him was that he was always had time on the ball which is something you don’t see often and his quick feet would make him near impossible to press. The question is whether it was a short burst of form / Argentina momentum / a perfect system and if he can replicate it for Chelsea consistently

How is it that Chelsea have been able to spend EUR 600m in one season? It's insane. Hope it backfires on them somehow.

Bad sources but even if their information is correct nowhere does it say in any of those articles that any club aside Benfica actually made a bid. Interest and bid are substantially different.
I didn’t see anywhere that anyone besides us were willing to pay the release fee.

A cm can’t live up to that sort of pricetag unless he can knock out 15-20 goal seasons.

He’ll flop, poor man’s Dennis Wise at best

I would hate this if I were a Chelsea fan. It goes against so much said on here by fans trying to defend the transfer policy
In this particular case you've already done the leg work for us by quoting a post that is at best part of a game of chinese whispers :lol: