Enzo 'Terry' Fernandez | Vice-Captain of Chelsea

It won’t be brushed under the carpet for it to escape the mind’s eye, I’m pretty sure of that. We’ll find out soon enough, though.

I'm sure rival fans will continue to use it in their top bantz or to score points online, so in that sense, it won't be forgotten, you're right. But the media and football in general will have, I think, moved on by the time the season kicks off. Just like the Bentancur thing has been mostly forgotten already, apart from a couple of Chelsea and Arsenal fans here and there still tweeting about it to score points.

Wouldnt surprise me if FA/FIFA stay well clear of it. There has also been feck all in regards to Bentancur, Even though it was ages ago

FIFA are investigating. I guess they'll be having a chat with everyone in that bus to see who else was singing.

They're not going to just punish Enzo.
You may be right, but ultimately, he posted the clip, and he's the most visible in it. He has to get a ban of some sort, the precedent has already been established.

You may be right, but ultimately, he posted the clip, and he's the most visible in it. He has to get a ban of some sort, the precedent has already been established.

I agree that he has to get a ban (4 to 6 matches if I was the one making the decision).

If he's the only one that does, it just shows FIFA don't give a flying feck about this issue (which we kinda already know).

All the governing bodies and high profile figure talk a good game about fighting racism but when it comes to it they usually shirk it!

Same with pundits and panels...they will all casually ignore it and move on.

All the governing bodies and high profile figure talk a good game about fighting racism but when it comes to it they usually shirk it!

It's all "greenwashing".

Remember, Evra had to kick up a fuss in the incident with Suarez. And still plenty of pundits and fans were on Suarez's side.

I agree that he has to get a ban (4 to 6 matches if I was the one making the decision).

If he's the only one that does, it just shows FIFA don't give a flying feck about this issue (which we kinda already know).
I haven't seen any of the footage since it came out, which others can we make out singing, and should therefore be banned according to you? You've been quite intent in reiterating it wasn't only Fernandez in each of your posts on this topic.

It's all "greenwashing".

Remember, Evra had to kick up a fuss in the incident with Suarez. And still plenty of pundits and fans were on Suarez's side.
That's the wrong use of the term greenwashing, but I agree with you that the authorities are terrible at dealing with racism.

I haven't seen any of the footage since it came out, which others can we make out singing, and should therefore be banned according to you? You've been quite intent in reiterating it wasn't only Fernandez in each of your posts on this topic.

I could probably recognise about 3 of the Argentina squad if they walked up to me and said hello.

If you think it was only Enzo signing it, fair enough. I'd suggest you watch it again with the volume up because it's pretty clear it's not just him.

It's not hard for FIFA to investigate. Just ask the players, "were you signing it". If they all say no then ban the entire squad.

I could probably recognise about 3 of the Argentina squad if they walked up to me and said hello.

If you think it was only Enzo signing it, fair enough. I'd suggest you watch it again with the volume up because it's pretty clear it's not just him.

It's not hard for FIFA to investigate. Just ask the players, "were you signing it". If they all say no then ban the entire squad.
I don't. I also believe you can only punish someone when you have proof that they were doing something. You've deflected and not answered the question.

I'm not sure if this method is applicable today, we're not under the rule of the Roman Empire anymore (not to use a slightly more modern analogy).

They should investigate it, of course, but collective punishment based on no evidence is, thankfully, not an option. I'm sure that the footage can be analyzed more thoroughly.

I don't. I also believe you can only punish someone when you have proof that they were doing something. You've deflected and not answered the question.

You asked me what players can I single out, I said I cant because I have no idea what most of their squad looks like. I'm not refusing to answer, I can't answer.

Just because I can't single people out doesn't nobody can.

Just ask them, it's not hard.

You asked me what players can I single out, I said I cant because I have no idea what most of their squad looks like. I'm not refusing to answer, I can't answer.

Just because I can't single people out doesn't nobody can.

Just ask them, it's not hard.
Wasn't that hard! It was a genuine question.

Still shocking to me that nobody of note in the Argentinian camp has apologized. In fact the one official who encouraged Messi and management to make a statement was fired for it. Fernandez obviously had to say some generic rubbish but I don't think he should continue to draw most of the attention. I find the silence and excuses coming from Argentina officials are far more distasteful.

Enzo has possibly a bigger problem if Palmer is playing the more forward 8. If Lavia is healthy, he could well beat out Enzo as the deeper player playing next to James or whoever is tucked in. He might be better; period, but he’s certainly more versed in how to play Maresca’s system.

Then the question becomes: who plays in that pressing/box-to-box 8 role, Caicedo or Enzo …. Or Santos? And you would have to think Caicedo would be the better choice.

A suspension at this point might just be saving him embarrassment

Enzo has possibly a bigger problem if Palmer is playing the more forward 8. If Lavia is healthy, he could well beat out Enzo as the deeper player playing next to James or whoever is tucked in. He might be better; period, but he’s certainly more versed in how to play Maresca’s system.

Then the question becomes: who plays in that pressing/box-to-box 8 role, Caicedo or Enzo …. Or Santos? And you would have to think Caicedo would be the better choice.

A suspension at this point might just be saving him embarrassment

Santos is 100% going back on loan. I think I read somewhere his move back to Strasbourg has already been agreed and arranged.

I don't think Lavia beats out Enzo. Maresca is experimenting at the moment which is fine, but unless James or Gusto start showing some world class potential in that inverted role, I think (hope?) that switched the inverted to the left when Cucurella returns, and just allows James to be the world class player he is in his natural role.

I think what ends up happening is Mareca will settle on a midfield 3 of Lavia, Caicedo and Enzo with James bombing down the right and Cucurella inverted on the left. I've read Maresca loves his touchline hugging wingers, which is good news for Madueke but unless he drops one of the midfield 3 for Palmer, Madueke has got to be the one to lose his spot, which means Maresca will need to compromise on his ideas a little, because Palmer will always come inside and be a central part of the build up.

I say all that to say, I don't see a scenario where Enzo and Caicedo aren't guaranteed starters.

Good on James and Disasi.

Any news on the "internal investigation" Chelsea said it had set up?

Nothing official from Chelsea yet. A journalist reported today that Chelsea consider the internal matter closed, which would be disappointing, if the only consequences he faces is an in person apology and a donation to a charity. We'll have to wait and see though.

Nothing official from Chelsea yet. A journalist reported today that Chelsea consider the internal matter closed, which would be disappointing, if the only consequences he faces is an in person apology and a donation to a charity. We'll have to wait and see though.
Yeah sounds like that could be the case. Shame if this is brushed under the carpet.

Realistically, all that could be was a conversation with Enzo and the rest of the Chelsea players.

I had hoped they would suspend him for a few games to hammer the message home but I guess if you leave the self-policing up to the clubs, they'll more often than not choose a softer outcome than a harsher one.

What did I do?
I think you felt a ban of sorts was appropriate didn't you? It is shame by association I expect you to feel rather any personal level of guilt, unless I severely underestimate your role in the decision making here.

I had hoped they would suspend him for a few games to hammer the message home but I guess if you leave the self-policing up to the clubs, they'll more often than not choose a softer outcome than a harsher one.
Especially when the harsher outcome would affect a valuable asset to the club. Would probably be easier to punish him if he was one of the unwanted they're trying to shift.

I think you felt a ban of sorts was appropriate didn't you? It is shame by association I expect you to feel rather any personal level of guilt, unless I severely underestimate your role in the decision making here.

I think I said I'd ban him for 4 to 6 games (given what others have been banned for in similar situations)

I'm not ashamed if the bosses at Chelsea don't agree. Disappointed would be a bit more accurate.

Especially when the harsher outcome would affect a valuable asset to the club. Would probably be easier to punish him if he was one of the unwanted they're trying to shift.

Yeah there's an element of that too. I think I said something to that effect a few pages ago that if it was Petrovic or Casadei, I actually think Chelsea would have no problems going as far as terminating the player's contract. But Enzo is a £100m signing and one the best players and biggest names at the club, so sadly he gets treated differently.

Last edited:
I think I said I'd ban him for 4 to 6 games (given what others have been banned for in similar situations)

I'm not ashamed if the bosses at Chelsea don't agree. Disappointed would be a bit more accurate.
Disappointed sounds a bit tame, doesn't it? Shame or anger feel rather more appropriate to me. I feel a bit angry and that's without the personal connection to your club.