Enzo 'Terry' Fernandez | Vice-Captain of Chelsea

I truly don't believe such a chant rises to the level of racism. It's no different from say a bunch of international football fans from like Germany making fun of a Jack Grealish for playing for England yet his really Irish. If THAT wouldn't instantly be counted as racism. I fail to see how this one does rise to the bar.
As explained in the other thread:
Um yes we are sure it's extremely racist. Calling's someone's nationality into question on the basis of their ethnicity is textbook racism - and you are correct that this is not really very different from the cricket example as that is also racist.
Most of these players have European ancestry, similar to how the French players have African ancestry. This isn't healthy banter, this is racism. Don't defend it.

I truly don't believe such a chant rises to the level of racism. It's no different from say a bunch of international football fans from like Germany making fun of a Jack Grealish for playing for England yet his really Irish. If THAT wouldn't instantly be counted as racism. I fail to see how this one does rise to the bar.

Ok but for your hypothetical to make sense can you point to a group of German fans making these chants against Grealish and it being excused?

Could you explain in detail what you mean by that?

You don't think mocking French players for having African heritage is racist?

This type of comment is popping up a fair bit it seems. And as I said in the other thread, why don’t you ask Fofana if he thinks it was racist?

Ive said this numerous times before but @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber is the worse regular poster on this forum. I advise you not to delve into a debate with him. I made the mistake of doing it once and that was just purely a footballing matter. His views/takes etc are absolute trash for the most part.

You don't think mocking French players for having African heritage is racist?
No. Because in my intepretation it's France the country and native French they are literally mocking. They aren't mocking them for having African Heirtage. I know this because even down in my corner of Africa where I live it's a wide spread footballing banter joke that France is 'united nations of Africa' every time it plays in a tournament. I'd find it hard to believe Africa is the only continent that sees it that way too. Frankly its literally part and parcel of the legacy of colonialism.

I mean with all due respect, its not on you to decide what constitutes racism. Fofana who is of African descent clearly deemed it offensive enough to the extent he felt the need to publicly call out a club teammate. Their chanting also seemed to single out black players - they weren't singing about Griezmann's dad being of German descent for starters, so your parallels with Grealish don't really add up.

Garnacho is basically Spanish anyway right, and basically came of age in multicultural Manchester. So I'm hoping he didn't partake :eek:

Do German or other fans mock Grealish or Rice for being of Irish descent while playing for England? If so, I’ve never heard it. It’s fairly obvious what this chant implies - the non-white players are not really French (which presumably goes for non-white players with other European national teams).

Garnacho is basically Spanish anyway right, and basically came of age in multicultural Manchester. So I'm hoping he didn't partake :eek:

He shall be stripped of his Nike Tech Fleece and his fanny pack if he did.

No. Because in my intepretation it's France the country and native French they are literally mocking. They aren't mocking them for having African Heirtage. I know this because even down in my corner of Africa where I live it's a wide spread footballing banter joke that France is 'united nations of Africa' every time it plays in a tournament. I'd find it hard to believe Africa is the only continent that sees it that way too. Frankly its literally part and parcel of the legacy of colonialism.
As an African myself I understand the point you're making but what i have come to understand is that we can't really understand how these people feel because we have not experienced what they have so while to us it may just be insensitive and in poor taste, they may feel totally different. One of my friend's moved to the UK in 2020 and he tells me how the kind of casual racism he has to deal with everyday will blow my mind.

What do we think Chelsea's response to this will be?

Not racist either?

dcv6xalzvxcd1.jpeg

Come on you know that mocking people for being African is simply not the same as mocking someone from being Irish. The levels of actual discrimination and abuse people get are completely different.

As an African myself I understand the point you're making but what i have come to understand is that we can't really understand how these people feel because we have not experienced what they have so while to us it may just be insensitive and in poor taste, they may feel totally different. One of my friend's moved to the UK in 2020 and he tells me how the kind of casual racism he has to deal with everyday will blow my mind.
That's a fair take. My take is simply informed on my past experiences living as a naturalized native abroad. Which admittedly isn't exactly the same as being a native with different ethnic descent.

Not racist either?

dcv6xalzvxcd1.jpeg

Come on you know that mocking people for being African is simply not the same as mocking someone from being Irish. The levels of actual discrimination and abuse people get are completely different.
Its probably all down to intepretation. To me as an African, the are mocking French men for having Africans represent them. In a similar fashion to mocking a Grealish for representing an England yet he is Irish. Id be lying If I said Ive never done it too.

To a Frenchman of African heritage like Fofana he feels its deligitmising his Frenchness, hence racist.

Reopened for conversations on Enzo Fernandes specifically.

Is he worth 121m?

Nobody is. Caicedo isn’t worth £115m. Rice isn’t worth £105m. These players have zero chance of ever justifying these absurd fees, so for me, and I suppose same for you with Rice, all I can do is ignore the fee and just look at the value he brings to the team as a player, and I think he’s a brilliant player.

Good question, and the answer is obvious. Not a chance. I think he’s a good 8, but worth 50-60. 121 million is absolutely mental for Enzo.

It’s also £107. No idea why people keep saying 121m, especially if the € symbol isn’t used to make it clear you mean €121m. I’ve never seen anybody say Rice cost 118m, for example.

Is he looking at a lengthy ban or will the incident be whitewashed (pardon the pun)?

Also will it revert to the usual he plays for our club / country so here's why it's not so bad? United fans have certainly been guilty of that in recent times with a certain Marseille bound footballer.

Is he looking at a lengthy ban or will the incident be whitewashed (pardon the pun)?

Also will it revert to the usual he plays for our club / country so here's why it's not so bad? United fans have certainly been guilty of that in recent times with a certain Marseille bound footballer.
I can't see how FIFA don't end up banning a shit load of Argentina players.

And of course there will be some muppets defending him. That's always happened every time any player does anything shitty.

Also to your previous point about how people label the fees:
- people are idiots when it comes to transfer fees in general
- why this one is generally reported in euro is that it was the price or his release clause, contractually stipulated in euros
- why Rice's would be reported in sterling is because it was a transfer between 2 British clubs, with negotiations which would have been held entirely in sterling.
It makes sense, there's nothing nefarious or strange at play.

I still can't believe that Chelsea paid £219,761,420,450 for him.