English media thinly veiled racism

To be fair the image of him throwing the '"plane', before they head away, was probably tempting to use with the headline along with weeks of build up about who'd be 'on the plane'.

In the image with multiple players, 4 are white, 1 is black...

And in the telegraph ratings, black players generally rated well with the summary highlighting saka, Alexander Arnold and Toney as positives.

The media are scum plain and simple. Plenty of examples of white players getting crucified in the media too. Nobody has ever had it worse than David Beckham.

They just love to knock down the same players they have hyped up, like Saka, Mainoo and Bellingham.

I used to subscribe to this theory but this pattern of focus on x player who happens to be black when its negative and don't focus on x player who happens to be black when its positive has been going on for too long to be a coincidence.

The whole build up and knock players down thing is separate to it imo. England don't really have a Beckham/Rooney style global megastar to funnel all the negative attention to at the moment. If they did it would be Kane. I couldn't imagine Saka giving an open interview on Sky about how he wants to leave Arsenal then refusing to train for weeks (ala Kane/Spurs) and coming out of it being praised for his professionalism

Racism is systemic and institutionalized in the UK within certain sectors and industries, so it's no surprise the media are on board.

It’s not “thinly veiled”
It’s blatant and always has been. Tabloid journalists are garbage.

Dunno about thinly…seems pretty obvious.

If they are knocked out: Saka, Bellingham, Mainoo failed us!

If they win the damn thing: Kane, Rice and Foden deliver the cup!

I don't think Sterling helped himself by how he went about it. He'd get criticised for something that deserved criticism then play the race card instead of just picking out the times when him or team mates were singled out for no reason (which he did also do in fairness to him).

That's where he needed the manager, governing bodies, team mates etc; to fully back him up though. It must be hard as an individual to see the difference between fair criticism and being victimised when the latter is relentless either way.

But then also Sterling was criticised for having a gun tattoo while Foden is getting off scot-free for having a "gun shooting" celebration.

I want to believe that in 2024 this doesn't exist; however when times are bad (and last night was just a friendly) a scapegoat has to be picked.
For thelatst final penalty loss to Italy, 3 kick failures were by black players and thrown under the bus; Kane missed a WC penalty vs France and it was hardly highlighted... you have to wonder why and what if Rashford or Saka had skied that spot kick.

oh give over. we voted for brexit. it’s fine for our media to be racist. it’s what the public wanted. it’s that sharia law in the england dressing room, sabotaging southgate.

You racists English pricks!

I see this type of racism everywhere: a report about shoplifting might show an image of a black man browsing a store.

Just keep calling it out, it is getting even more overt and obvious these days.

In the photo in the OP, I see a headline of "England's Sorry Send Off" that uses four white English players / manager in negative poses (head in hand, hand over mouth, falling down, keeper after conceding goal) and one black player. With a 'Plane Awful' pun used as Saka is throwing a paper plane.

I guess if you ignore the negative use of Kane, Southgate, Ramsdale, etc - and just single out the Saka plane pun - you can use it as supportive evidence. But the full context of the picture doesn't seem particularly noteworthy.

Last edited:
It's obvious in radio or TV commentary as well. White players get picked out for any good moves. While losing the ball gets ignored but not for non white players.

How about that shitstain Steinberg placing blame on 19 year old Mainoo for defeat to Iceland while protecting Rice. The same bastard who released a hit piece a day before the fa cup final that many posters latched on to as gospel. No one ever learns, the English media are shite and that’s why Sir Alex hated them.

But then also Sterling was criticised for having a gun tattoo while Foden is getting off scot-free for having a "gun shooting" celebration.
The worst was Fabio Carvalho and Harvey Elliott doing a coordinated and planned gun celebration after the murder of Olivia Pratt-Korbel in the city a few days beforehand.

How they escaped a substantial match ban but the FA banned Rooney for swearing near a camera is beyond me.

I think there's some confirmation bias about searching around and picking out only some of the many photos being used to highlight England's defeat.

I just googled England lose to Iceland, and there's also large amounts of photos used of Kane, Southgate, Foden, Ramsdale, etc - all negative stances such as head in hand, hands on hips, etc.

Ignoring all of those and finding those that use black players in similar stances to make the same points doesn't mean that there's only black players being used in that negative context - it means people are more alert and hyper sensitive to that use while ignoring the many featuring Kane, Southgate, Ramsdale, etc.

I think there's some confirmation bias about searching around and picking out only some of the many photos being used to highlight England's defeat.

I just googled England lose to Iceland, and there's also large amounts of photos used of Kane, Southgate, Foden, Ramsdale, etc - all negative stances such as head in hand, hands on hips, etc.

Ignoring all of those and finding those that use black players in similar stances to make the same points doesn't mean that there's only black players being used in that context - it just means people are more alert and sensitive to that use while ignoring the many featuring Kane, Southgate, Ramsdale, etc.

You're correct

I want to believe that in 2024 this doesn't exist; however when times are bad (and last night was just a friendly) a scapegoat has to be picked.
For thelatst final penalty loss to Italy, 3 kick failures were by black players and thrown under the bus; Kane missed a WC penalty vs France and it was hardly highlighted... you have to wonder why and what if Rashford or Saka had skied that spot kick.

Im not convinced any of that is true though. The official media response to euros penalties was overwhelmingly positive and supportive of anybody who stood up to take a penalty. There were anonymous accounts online that were overtly racist sadly, which you might be referring to, but it seems you don't want to use online where Kane is concerned - as he was hammered for both that and the Croatia miss in 2018. Unless you can find reputable outlets that really hammered saka, sancho or rashford for missing.

Generally as @Bertie Wooster says,there is huge confirmation bias at play with alot of issues like this. Off the top of my head, some of the most horrificly treated players in English sports media have been Beckham and Rooney. You'd have to actively ignore these and more examples to think there is a valid point

Im not convinced any of that is true though. The official media response to euros penalties was overwhelmingly positive and supportive of anybody who stood up to take a penalty. There were anonymous accounts online that were overtly racist sadly, which you might be referring to, but it seems you don't want to use online where Kane is concerned - as he was hammered for both that and the Croatia miss in 2018. Unless you can find reputable outlets that really hammered saka, sancho or rashford for missing.

Generally as @Bertie Wooster says,there is huge confirmation bias at play with alot of issues like this. Off the top of my head, some of the most horrificly treated players in English sports media have been Beckham and Rooney. You'd have to actively ignore these and more examples to think there is a valid point
Yeah - I think the truth is that the English media are disgusting, lazy hacks in general, Ian Ladyman at the Daily Mail being the prime example of possibly the worst sort of click-bait worthless snide 'journalist' we see, but it's not so much that they're racist, just trying to make a quick buck out of easy low hanging fruit.

Like how they target Man Utd - it's a symbiotic and parasitic relationship between shit-talking United and getting paid for it in general, so when they have a Man Utd player (like Mainoo in this case) and there's a bad result, it's a double whammy for them to print absolute garbage. Even if it's senseless and wrong - it WORKS, hence people talking about it in this thread. The journo's simply don't care, they are paid either way.

It happened with Rooney and Beckham. It happened with Rashford. It happens all the time.

This is absolutely an issue, and you can see it barely disguised a lot of the time, especially in the right wing papers. Some of the treatment that Sterling has gotten over the years for instance can't really be explained by anything else.

However, these examples are crap.

Here's what the back pages had:
papers.png

A good few of them used the photo of Saka chucking the plane, and otherwise there's Foden, Stones, Southgate, Kane all featured as well... Not really seeing it.

Papers:
papers2.png

All the papers that had pictures of the players had one or more of Saka, Sterling, Bellingham featured prominently. But one random tweet has a white player in it, so it's racism?

Lots of racism talk is built on emotions in here. While there is problem with racism everywhere there is no need to cherry pick. Are the same people talking about racism here doing same with the people like Maguire, Rooney, Beckham, Southgate then fair enough. Otherwise it is just picking for own agenda. Racism is bad regardless of your orgin.

Spot on. Certain players can't do no wrong.
Not following English media regarding NT. Did Kane get a stick after France and Croatia defeats on WC? He had awful games in those two crucial games. How is Maguire covered by media?

I do remember that Rooney got a lot of stick while he was captain.

In the photo in the OP, I see a headline of "England's Sorry Send Off" that uses four white English players / manager in negative poses (head in hand, hand over mouth, falling down, keeper after conceding goal) and one black player. With a 'Plane Awful' pun used as Saka is throwing a paper plane.

I guess if you ignore the negative use of Kane, Southgate, Ramsdale, etc - and just single out the Saka plane pun - you can use it as supportive evidence. But the full context of the picture doesn't seem particularly noteworthy.

Yep, I think people are going a bit strong on this one. People making too much of one set of photos, one like you say has 4 white players in!
That's a great pic of Saka looking miserable.

There's always a scape goat at a tournament. Being a United player used to help guarantee that.

Beckham, P Neville, Rooney.

If it was about online "fans", I'd agree, as there's a high amount of scumbags who get after black players for minimum reasons.
I can't quite remember, but I don't think any of Rashy, Sancho or Saka were "scapegoated" for their pen misses last tournament by the actual press.
Probably because there were 3 of them. They were given support. Similar to Pearce, Waddle , Southgate etc.

It's not only specific to England. On the top of my head, France and Germany do the same.
Yea I don’t think mainland Europe is much better and I think they’re quite overt when it comes to racism (particularly France). That’s how it feels to me anyway.

This is absolutely an issue, and you can see it barely disguised a lot of the time, especially in the right wing papers. Some of the treatment that Sterling has gotten over the years for instance can't really be explained by anything else.

However, these examples are crap.

Here's what the back pages had:
papers.png

A good few of them used the photo of Saka chucking the plane, and otherwise there's Foden, Stones, Southgate, Kane all featured as well... Not really seeing it.

Papers:
papers2.png

All the papers that had pictures of the players had one or more of Saka, Sterling, Bellingham featured prominently. But one random tweet has a white player in it, so it's racism?

fantastic post regarding that dreadful tweet. it should end the thread and the outrage culture cherry picking, but it wont of course.

Perhaps you are right and I'd be delighted if that is the case.

I still remember the fallout from that penalty shootout against Italy

there’s a really weird undertone in media reporting. It almost always feels/reads like dogwhistles to rally the worst elements of the public

Perhaps you are right and I'd be delighted if that is the case.

8 black players finished on the pitch last night for England - if they weren't featured in pictures then there'd be something suspicious. The image of saka tossing a plane before they fly to euros is newspaper fodder.

People keep suggesting that there's some undercurrent or referencing 2021 without having clear actual examples from reputable organisations that are anything but normal headlines.

What are we suggesting, that the bloody BBC and guardian are racist? Because the mail have 4 white players and the telegraph singled out 3 black players as the positive

This is the most absurd example of this nonsense ive seen in a long time and all it does is undermine actual examples of societal racism

I still remember the fallout from that penalty shootout against Italy

there’s a really weird undertone in media reporting. It almost always feels/reads like dogwhistles to rally the worst elements of the public

Can you demonstrate some examples of media reporting that have this dog whistling and undertone, from after the 2021 final. You speak that you 'still remember' it as if it left some stark examples

England has always been a racist country, but tried to deflect it and blame other countries for the same. We've seen in the past made up scandals trying to blame others when they've had games at away venues. It's so pathetic honestly.
They should really work on it and start looking at themselves.

I think making Cole Palmer the face of the team is the solution here. He has some Caribbean descent, so the media wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

Truly bizarre social media outrage scandal. No one appears to have actually written anything remotely critical about Saka yet somehow because a photogenic picture of him appeared in a couple of papers its apparently a massive media race scandal (though granted, the star's "black ice" headline is at best very poorly thought out"). Which anyway, even if you go by the bizarre metric of "picture on back page means player to blame", John Stones is apparently the face of the defeat given he appeared on the most back pages.

I have no love for the media but its pretty bizarre to see an obviously false narrative play out like this. You can absolutely criticise them for the build em up and knock em down cycle, but this? It's just conspiracy level thinking.