England vs Kazakhstan

My view...

Players

Defence

James - Nothing to do so did his job effectively, had no chance with their goal tbh.

Brown - Good overall performance from Brown once again, excellent assist for Rooneys first. Didn't do anything wrong in the defending aspect of his game, and was good supporting Walcott and then Beckham. Pretty important throughout the game

Rio - Why is Terry captain over him? Was sound at the back, took his goal well even though it was sloppy defending. Could say he was a bit at fault for their goal as he wasn't on his toes, and defenders should expect anything, not really his fault at all though. Seemed to captain the team well, noticed at the end how he went and shook every team members hand after the final whistle. feck Terry.

Upson - Seemed a little nervous at first but then found his feet, his pass to James on the line was very silly. Was a decent threat at set pieces I thought, connected with a few and made a nuisance of himself, better than Terry.

Cole - Was good up the wing, shame about his brainfart in the 2nd half which led to their goal, but kept his cool after it and got on with it. We all love to boo Cashley but he did fine imo.

Midfield

Gerrard - Just drop him, he was once again USELESS. Did he even manage to make a pass this game? Did his boots have studs? He seems to be getting worse for England, always trying to go it alone and just ballooning shots and passes everywhere. I know Lampard & Gerrard "can't" play together, but Gerrard was the worst performer tonight by far. He either needs to shape up, or get dropped.

Barry - Also didn't really do much, but then again, I don't think he had much chance, he had to sit back which is what he was there for, did his job effectively with no nonsense.

Lampard - From his first few goes at set pieces I was thinking to myself "Let anyone else take them" but then got into the game more, made some decent passes, not a bad shot in the first half either. Easily better than Gerrard.

Attackers

Rooney - Played on the left in the first half, didn't manage to get into it too much, can tell he's not left footed, having to come back on himself to cross it. Second half playing more centrally, he looked more like the Rooney we know. Made a menace of himself, claimed a goal which wasn't his and realised this so didn't bother going mental celebrating, nice header for his first and lucky with his 2nd, crappy keeping, but right place, right time, he deserved it and deserved MOTM.

Heskey - Doesn't really do much apart from hold up the ball and win it alot... wait that's quite a lot. Did what he had to do, poor bloke, is he ever going to score for England again? Thought his header was unlucky not to go in tbh. Also cocked a chance up too.

Walcott - Does he have a twin? We see one Walcott in Croatia then that? Disappointing, made a few bad decisions, was finding it hard to beat his man. LOVELY cross for Heskey in the first half though, but after that didn't really do that much.

Subs

Wright-Phillips - Really annoying today, tried to do it all himself, was very sticky. Learn to pass.

Beckham - Nice to still have him about, good sub by Capello, Walcott was doing nowt, Kaz were naff in the air, so get Beckham in to whip a few in. Reckon he still has a few more games in him for England.

Defoe - Not enough time, took his goal well though.

Tactics
I don't blame Capello at all for trying out a 4-3-3, nobody really knew what to expect from the other team, but with a lowly ranking, we were going for an attacking line-up. Joe Cole is out and we don't really have a left winger so this was our best option. Obviously realised it wasn't working so reverted back to a 4-4-2. Obviously paid off. His decision to bring on Beckham was obviously a very good one, kind of manager we need.

I know it's a hard game to judge the players on, but I thought Kaz played pretty good considering they were at Wembley, with all our shouting etc, must have been intimidating. Well done to them for actually trying to score and not just parking the bus.

I loved Capello's reaction to their goal, possibly the highlight of the day. :lol:

fecking hell, some of you need to lighten up.

England won.
Rooney played pretty well when through the middle.
There's still a long way to go.

I can't see why people have a problem with it. fecking bitter if you ask me.

:rolleyes:

Mate, I don't think anyone has a problem with England winning. It's just the fickleness of the England supporters and press that gets to people.

So if you weren't trying to be funny, what exactly were you trying to achieve?

I was simply expressing my disgust at the fickleness of the Wembley crowd through the medium of sarcasm..what did you think I was doing?

I apologise if that's upset you and a couple of others. I wasn't aware that this was an England fans forum.

I was simply expressing my disgust at the fickleness of the Wembley crowd through the medium of sarcasm..what did you think I was doing?

I thought you were being a prick, obviously.

Like I said, I certainly don't know of any England fans that think that way.

The media is something entirely different.

Mate, I don't think anyone has a problem with England winning. It's just the fickleness of the England supporters and press that gets to people.

What, so you people need to try and deflate everyone by posting about it in here?

I've nothing against you personally, and your first post was partially right (look at my reply, including the white text). However, this is not the time or place and that's what I have the problem with.

I thought you were being a prick, obviously.

Like I said, I certainly don't know of any England fans that think that way.

The media is something entirely different.

Look, I can't be arsed arguing. I'm going to exit this thread now and leave it to those who wish to discuss the football.

What, so you people need to try and deflate everyone by posting about it in here?

I've nothing against you personally, and your first post was partially right (look at my reply, including the white text). However, this is not the time or place and that's what I have the problem with.

I accept what you're saying here.

I don't blame Capello at all for trying out a 4-3-3, nobody really knew what to expect from the other team, but with a lowly ranking, we were going for an attacking line-up. Joe Cole is out and we don't really have a left winger so this was our best option. Obviously realised it wasn't working so reverted back to a 4-4-2. Obviously paid off. His decision to bring on Beckham was obviously a very good one, kind of manager we need.
He didn't start with 433 and he didn't move to 442. He played 4231 all time but with Gerrard in the center of the three in the first half and Rooney in the second.

He didn't start with 433 and he didn't move to 442. He played 4231 all time but with Gerrard in the center of the three in the first half and Rooney in the second.

I seen it as Lamp, Gerrard and Barry in the centre.

The way you're saying it as if Lampard was a DM :/

Slept in and didn't watch the match. Delighted to hear Rio and Rooney scored 3 between them though!

Go to about 4.30 in that vid to watch Capello's reaction to the goal, hilarious :lol:

Carrick/Hargreaves-Lampard/Gerrard in a 442 it is.

No Lampard-Gerrard again plz and play Barry only if both our english CMs are out.

It was...a game of two halves. ;)

Three games in and we've got maximum points, even when we look patchy and decidedly disjointed [as we did in the first half yesterday], the signs are there that something better is possible. Furthermore, we have a manager with the judgement to change things to make it come about.

The ratings thread on the game is a tad extreme in its views IMO but that is hardly unusual on here.

Remaining positive.