England Squad Discussion (The Carsley Era)

SilentWitness

Has a Dutch member.
Staff
Supports
Everton
Starting a new thread because it's a new England.

Apparently Ben White is still not going to make himself available for selection.

I can't imagine an era less inspiring than Southgates, yet here we are.

No idea how you can manage 54 games in your career (16 as a caretaker) and end up England manager.

Carsley has won an international tournament.

Respectfully this is a different kettle of fish. It's akin to saying less make Adam Lawrence the next Man Utd manager because he has won a youth league.

Last edited:
Respectfully this is a different kettle of fish. It's akin to saying less make Adam Lawrence the next Man Utd manager because he has won a youth league.

While I don't disagree with your first sentence, it's not really like that at all. Club and International football aren't the same in that respect.

The Spanish head coach worked his way up from U19 to U21 to U23 to the First team squad and won tournaments with the younger squads. He then had players in his senior squad who had been on that journey with him.

From the U21 squad that Carsley had (where he had a c. 80% win record), there are a bunch of players who are going to be the core of the England Senior team within the near future.

What a time to be alive

Angel Gomes perhaps? A mainstay in the U21's under Carsley.

Or is he still recovering from his head injury?

While I don't disagree with your first sentence, it's not really like that at all. Club and International football aren't the same in that respect.

The Spanish head coach worked his way up from U19 to U21 to U23 to the First team squad and won tournaments with the younger squads. He then had players in his senior squad who had been on that journey with him.

From the U21 squad that Carsley had (where he had a c. 80% win record), there are a bunch of players who are going to be the core of the England Senior team within the near future.

I don't disagree in context they seem similar, but Fuente was already an experienced managed before he took over the U19 and was obviously apart of some long term succession plan since 2013 - Carlsey since 2021.

I just don't think Carsley's career warrants him getting the job. He hasn't got anywhere near the experience from managing 54 games, 29 of which with the U21. The rest were caretaker jobs.

Of course, I hope I'm proved wrong.

It isn't so much about who he picks than about how he has the team set up to play. The U-21's apparently play nothing like Southgate did with the senior team.

Starting a new thread because it's a new England.

Apparently Ben White is still not going to make himself available for selection.
Makes me like him a little.

Trippier retired too. Where did all the right backs go?

I wonder if he'll be married to pickford like Southgate was. Ramsdale will start getting first team football soon now that he's at Southampton. Are there any other options?

Angel Gomes will be important for England.....i'm really happy for him :)

Left-back situation is again a big worry :confused:

I wonder if he'll be married to pickford like Southgate was. Ramsdale will start getting first team football soon now that he's at Southampton. Are there any other options?
He played Trafford who is considered more progressive and I imagine he might get opportunities sooner rather than later.

I think this initial squad shows that he's not afraid to make his own decisions.

How does Grealish get back in despite playing only 19 minutes this season in 3 games?
New manager. New season. Draw a line under what's gone on before and select the players you want to play. Can't blame him for wanting to see what Grealish can do. He appears to be a far more fluid, attack-minded coach that GS.

I don't disagree in context they seem similar, but Fuente was already an experienced managed before he took over the U19 and was obviously apart of some long term succession plan since 2013 - Carlsey since 2021.

I just don't think Carsley's career warrants him getting the job. He hasn't got anywhere near the experience from managing 54 games, 29 of which with the U21. The rest were caretaker jobs.

Of course, I hope I'm proved wrong.
I think Carsley is also part of a succession plan with England.

I am a big fan of Livramento and cant believe its taken this long for him to be called up

I understand he worked with Gomes in the u21's but given he's still recovering from injury, it feels like a look at me type of pick.

Think Rogers could get chances in next squad if that form at Villa continues to October internationals

I understand he worked with Gomes in the u21's but given he's still recovering from injury, it feels like a look at me type of pick.

Or a I know my style of play type of pick

Are there any big omissions? I am suffering from cough and cold virus at the moment, so brain not working very well. :(

He was by far Lille's best player when they beat Fenerbahce a fortnight ago. I think he's recovered.

I am a big fan of Livramento and cant believe its taken this long for him to be called up

Was injured for all of 22/23 wasn't he after initially breaking out at Southampton. Had a good year last year but I don't think there was ever a chance he was getting a call-up coming up to a major tournament with the likes of Walker, Tripper, Trent still there.

I still think he'll struggle to make squads long-term going forward to be honest unless he's seen as an option at LB - Trent will likely be a shoe-in, Reece James will hopefully return to fitness and Rico Lewis looks class.