Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I don't think I buy that bombastic of a statement

50% employee would cripple Twitter instantly, I honestly don't think any big institution worth 44bn can afford to lose 50% workforce on a whim just like that. Shits are bound to hits the fan.

Regardless of how inefficient Twitter before Elon, I don't believe they're employing 50% more than they need to

From what I've heard, it honestly sounds like Twitter could lose 50% of their engineers and not blink. Twitter is very nearly identical to what it was when it came out, and it's been paying loads of engineers for years and years and nothing new ever comes out of it. Who knows what they're doing in there.

Lisa Bloom
@LisaBloom

Hey Twitter employees getting laid off tomorrow! IMPORTANT INFO from a CA employment attorney (me):

CA's "WARN" law requires Twitter to give you 60 days notice of a massive layoff.

A layoff of 50+ employees within a 30 day period qualifies.

I know you didn't get that notice.

From what I've heard, it honestly sounds like Twitter could lose 50% of their engineers and not blink. Twitter is very nearly identical to what it was when it came out, and it's been paying loads of engineers for years and years and nothing new ever comes out of it. Who knows what they're doing in there.

There is no way that’s true. Twitter is a very complex system. Just because they weren’t releasing radical features every day doesn’t mean they don’t need the manpower to maintain it.

You have heard wrong. Most systems with this much scale don't release loads of features, or at least not apparent to end users. Anywhere between 30 - 60% of engineers bandwidth will go in just maintaining such systems. Musk supposedly wants to save 1B$ in infra costs, that it in itself will require a significant amount of engineers to achieve. People underestimate the level of availability the systems by FAANG have achieved compared to what it was even 15-20 years ago. Outages were pretty standard while now even a few hours downtime for a major service leads to multiple articles in national newspapers.
I expect Musk to fire a lot of middle management, product and other roles around "soft skills" to drive the 50% target. And with 20-30% attrition in engineering, scale down on AI work and overwork remaining population to reach the productivity targets.

There is no way that’s true. Twitter is a very complex system. Just because they weren’t releasing radical features every day doesn’t mean they don’t need the manpower to maintain it.

Yeah, saw several moronic Musk fan boi engineers claiming they can build and deploy Twitter like service over the weekend. That is like me saying I can assemble a telephone from straws and cups to replace my smartphone.

I didn't say radical features every day, I said literally any features, ever. For a company that was poorly run and bleeding money.

Yeah, saw several moronic Musk fan boi engineers claiming they can build and deploy Twitter like service over the weekend. That is like me saying I can assemble a telephone from straws and cups to replace my smartphone.

People underestimate the challenges that come with maintaining something at that scale. You need several hundred talented people to just keep the lights on forget new features.

Even more moronic was Musk’s comment that Twitter has 10 managers per engineer. So what there are 1000 managers for 100 engineers? Sure that’s not absurd.
It might be a bloated organisation but certainly not bloated enough to fire thousands. Just wants a cultural reset as he probably plans to bring in Amazon and Tesla like work conditions.

People underestimate the challenges that come with maintaining something at that scale. You need several hundred talented people to just keep the lights on forget new features.

Even more moronic was Musk’s comment that Twitter has 10 managers per engineer. So what there are 1000 managers for 100 engineers? Sure that’s not absurd.
It might be a bloated organisation but certainly not bloated enough to fire thousands. Just wants a cultural reset as he probably plans to bring in Amazon and Tesla like work conditions.

Amazon working conditions for engineers are no where near as bad as they are made out to be. Tesla one, going by Blind, is. I don't believe the narrative that Musk don't know what he is doing either. That's why I believe actual core engineering lay offs won't be anywhere near 50%. He might even explore shipping X % of jobs to India to, after all even Google & Amazon have their highest number of engineers outside US in India only. That will save him a lot (roughly US total comp for software engineers are 3x that of ones in India).

Amazon working conditions for engineers are no where near as bad as they are made out to be. Tesla one, going by Blind, is. I don't believe the narrative that Musk don't know what he is doing either. That's why I believe actual core engineering lay offs won't be anywhere near 50%. He might even explore shipping X % of jobs to India to, after all even Google & Amazon have their highest number of engineers outside US in India only. That will save him a lot (roughly US total comp for software engineers are 3x that of ones in India).

I know a few people working in AWS India and Alexa and they call it hell. People working till 3-4 am on weekends. Also the PIP culture is very extreme. There’s a reason for the sky high attrition. There might be a few teams where the WLB is decent but not a lot. Musk asking people to work over the weekends is a good indicator of where the culture is heading.

You’re probably right about engineering not being 50% but going through the hashtag on Twitter I saw fair number of devs so its not very low either.

I know a few people working in AWS India and Alexa and they call it hell. People working till 3-4 am on weekends. Also the PIP culture is very extreme. There’s a reason for the sky high attrition. There might be a few teams where the WLB is decent but not a lot. Musk asking people to work over the weekends is a good indicator of where the culture is heading.

You’re probably right about engineering not being 50% but going through the hashtag on Twitter I saw fair number of devs so its not very low either.

I have worked at Amazon so I know the pros and cons :) Compared to others in FAANG the WLB and culture is in the pits but it is not as bad as it is made out in blind. Unless you are on-call (which is a week in two months for most engineers) or it is peak season (cyber monday etc.), you don't work more than 50-55 hrs a week in most orgs. That's on higher side compared to likes of Google etc but on par with most start ups.

I didn't realise engineers made that much money in India. Amazon also seems to be very team based wrt work conditions.

I didn't realise engineers made that much money in India. Amazon also seems to be very team based wrt work conditions.

Engineers working in companies such as Google, Coinbase, Uber, Amazon, MS (some % not all) and some top Indian product start ups do. There has been a lot of reverse migration with engineers relocating from US to India (even ones with US citizenship) in last 2-3 years. it is the engineers in services / consultancy industries that are stuck in older pay ranges.

Engineers working in companies such as Google, Coinbase, Uber, Amazon, MS (some % not all) and some top Indian product start ups do. There has been a lot of reverse migration with engineers relocating from US to India (even ones with US citizenship) in last 2-3 years. it is the engineers in services / consultancy industries that are stuck in older pay ranges.
That's great, yeah my understanding was that the pay wasn't good, at least in my company there was an extremely well trodden path from India to Ireland, and our wages are nothing special compared to the US, although most of the time people were using Ireland as an intermediate step to end up in the US. I can imagine the level of competition to get into those companies in India is horrific though, probably nearly worse than the US!

That's great, yeah my understanding was that the pay wasn't good, at least in my company there was an extremely well trodden path from India to Ireland, and our wages are nothing special compared to the US, although most of the time people were using Ireland as an intermediate step to end up in the US. I can imagine the level of competition to get into those companies in India is horrific though, probably nearly worse than the US!

I interviewed for AWS India. They asked me two LC hards and one of them was DP:)

I have worked at Amazon so I know the pros and cons :) Compared to others in FAANG the WLB and culture is in the pits but it is not as bad as it is made out in blind. Unless you are on-call (which is a week in two months for most engineers) or it is peak season (cyber monday etc.), you don't work more than 50-55 hrs a week in most orgs. That's on higher side compared to likes of Google etc but on par with most start ups.

Ah fair enough then. Maybe their teams were outliers or my mates were exaggerating.

I interviewed for AWS India. They asked me two LC hards and one of them was DP:)
LC hard is kinda becoming common nowadays which is pretty shit. And even not tech companies are asking Leetcode medium (source: interviewed with GSK for an AI role and got 2 LC medium and 1 LC hard in the coding part).

Also, thought that only Google loves DP.

Lisa Bloom
@LisaBloom

Hey Twitter employees getting laid off tomorrow! IMPORTANT INFO from a CA employment attorney (me):

CA's "WARN" law requires Twitter to give you 60 days notice of a massive layoff.

A layoff of 50+ employees within a 30 day period qualifies.

I know you didn't get that notice.

IANAL and not sure about California law but I've been let go on a couple of occasions and from what I recall the company can just pay their way out of that notice period requirement.

That being said in this situation I doubt Musk would be willing to add the extra expense to his take over.

Regardless of how many or what percentage you can afford to lose from a work force, there is no way you can work out in the space of a few days who is and isn't important. That's before you get to the legal amd moral implications which will be extremely damaging guven twitter is literally a public user system.

This'll just be the slow death of twitter and whatever plans Musk has for it beyond that (if that isn't the plan anyway) won't get far. Before long he'll be trying to file a lawsuit against whoever sets up whatever the alternative to twitter ends up being.

Can’t wait for the inevitable story when the IT team having to remove all these people then have to remove themselves

just needs to change the logo now and the management consultant gig is complete.

Right-wingers: the free market will solve everything! Let the companies do as they like!
*companies do as they like*
Right-wingers: how DARE you!

What kind of company can fire half of their staff, and continue to function? I think most companies have some fat they could trim, but 50% is extreme.