Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I'm going to enjoy how he's going to spin this as a win for companies advertising on the site. "Your ad was actually seen far more than usual because people were refreshing so much".

Ran it into the ground in less than a year... Strong Moyes vibes, altough at least he didn't spend 40B in the process.

Don't get worried though, if you follow the right accounts and avoid every rabbit hole everything will be fine for you and everyone as social media savvy as you; no potential harmful consequences whatsoever.

I had to scroll through a *lot* of tweets to hit my limit and I was trying to break it too. Thankfully I now haven't been able to view a single tweet in over two hours.

It's varying how it effects accounts, which means it's not a limit doing this.

Mine refuses to load anything now, but I was actively spamming and trying to break it :lol:

No idea how you guys managed this. I refreshed my feed maybe 3-5 times and didn't even read many comments on any of the long threads and that's all it took for me to reach my limit and be unable to refresh further.

600 a day sounds like a lot.

It really isn't in the way twitter is counting them.

No idea how you guys managed this. I refreshed my feed maybe 3-5 times and didn't even read many comments on any of the long threads and that's all it took for me to reach my limit and be unable to refresh further.

It's varying per user. The whole thing is broken, it's not a cap, it's more like an excuse for bigger issues it seems :lol:

I think it might be a publicity stunt.

If its not, its fecking stupid.

if it is, it’s fecking stupid

Bike-Fall.jpg

Saw someone post this earlier, though I can't find it now.

Musk is taking bold steps there.

Verified accounts will basically become paying accounts. Nothing verified about the blue tick any more.

I do not use Twitter but this "status symbol" played a big part in my past attraction for that platform. Now, it is meaningless.

Musk is taking bold steps there.

Verified accounts will basically become paying accounts. Nothing verified about the blue tick any more.

I do not use Twitter but this "status symbol" played a big part in my past attraction for that platform. Now, it is meaningless.

Have you just woke up from a coma?

Depends who you follow mate. Follow the right people for what your interested in and it can be good
It is the primary source of news for a large amount of people. Social media is what you make of it. Follow dickheads and of course it will be awful. Follow people who you find interesting and it is engaging. Just blindly putting something down as “cesspit” is just silly really
With all due respect you sound like someone that's heard of twitter and not someone that actually uses it.

I follow my friends, like minded people, football update accounts, world news journalist, local news, car accounts, anime community, photography accounts and I get immense joy and use out of the app.

I met my wife of ten years on the app. It's a cesspool for people that want it to be a cesspool
Both depend who you follow. In fact I’d go as to say at least on Twitter you can control exactly what you see from individual people you choose to follow whereas on Reddit you cannot control what you see from others subscribed to the same subreddit as you. Either are fine when you curate your own content though.

Twitter is great for football news, and just being in that space. Same for a lot of other events really, you get a sense of a lot of people experiencing something together. There’s a big “pigeon in the assembly hall” energy to it which is always fun.

Even if in some cases it's the only way to hear about something happening, I'll never consider Twitter as a sufficient source of information in and by itself. Especially when it comes to important topics like war, politics, etc. Snippets, selected pics, targeted links and catch phrases will never tell the full story. That's junk food for me. I personally like the good old articles, preferably crossing them from as many sources as possible, in as many languages as possible. Not perfect by any means but still a bit more consistent, detailed and more importantly more credible than whatever Twitter churns out for you.

@Solius I found it incredibly difficult to filter what you're fed and the replies/reactions often reach an appalling level of bias, ignorance, tribalism and bad faith. Maybe it's because I didn't stay long enough on the platform as I shut down my account very quickly, even faster than Facebook. Said Facebook that still has my data stored even though I shut down my account almost ten years ago (I still receive notifications from them to this day).

Being old enough to remember a world without internet, I was very enthusiastic about social networks and their potential at the beginning but developed a visceral mistrust against them over the years, after seeing how easily they can condition their users and the explosion the wildest conspiracy theories, giving any nutjob an easy and very efficient platform to express themselves, interact with their cult and be widely heard (of). We saw it with Trump, Bolsonaro and Covid as some of the most prominent recent examples.

However I'll gladly admit that it could be a great way to stay in contact with friends all over the world, and communities that share the same interests (be it football, photography, anime or whatever) and in this case, "cesspit" wasn't the most appropriate term. It won't change my opinion about Twitter and I personally have other means to communicate, but can respect that.

Twitter will never be the same again unless he completely reverses the decision. This is like an April fool's joke gone way too far.

The thing is, if this actually makes money, other sites might be tempted to follow suit.

Imagine if YouTube implements a video watch limit for non-paying users :nervous:

My Twitter now just randomly started loading tweets again despite being unable to refresh for two hours.

Even if in some cases it's the only way to hear about something happening, I'll never consider Twitter as a sufficient source of information in and by itself. Especially when it comes to important topics like war, politics, etc. Snippets, selected pics, targeted links and catch phrases will never tell the full story. That's junk food for me. I personally like the good old articles, preferably crossing them from as many sources as possible, in as many languages as possible. Not perfect by any means but still a bit more consistent, detailed and more importantly more credible than whatever Twitter churns out for you.

@Solius I found it incredibly difficult to filter what you're fed and the replies/reactions often reach an appalling level of bias, ignorance, tribalism and bad faith. Maybe it's because I didn't stay long enough on the platform as I shut down my account very quickly, even faster than Facebook. Said Facebook that still has my data stored even though I shut down my account almost ten years ago (I still receive notifications from them to this day).

Being old enough to remember a world without internet, I was very enthusiastic about social networks and their potential at the beginning but developed a visceral mistrust against them over the years, after seeing how easily they can condition their users and the explosion the wildest conspiracy theories, giving any nutjob an easy and very efficient platform to express themselves, interact with their cult and be widely heard (of). We saw it with Trump, Bolsonaro and Covid as some of the most prominent recent examples.

However I'll gladly admit that it could be a great way to stay in contact with friends all over the world, and communities that share the same interests (be it football, photography, anime or whatever) and in this case, "cesspit" wasn't the most appropriate term. It won't change my opinion about Twitter and I personally have other means to communicate, but can respect that.

90% of the articles I read I have seen in a Tweet.

In regards to your comment on wars, tweets have been used reduce the effect of disinformation from governments.Coincidentally I am halfway through “We Are Bellingcat,” a book by the creator of the OSINT agency regarding how using Tweets from people on the ground was essential in them disproving Russian propaganda both regards the 2014 Ukraine invasion, as well as being able to map the front lines better than actual intelligence agencies could. They did similar regarding the shooting down of the Malaysia Airlines plane, again disproving Russian propaganda. At its best, Twitter can be give you access to videos and news direct from the front line of whatever you want. It’s not a coincidence that governments in the Arab Spring tried to prevent access to it.

I mean Osama’s death was first hinted at on Twitter. Some Pakistani bloke who worked nights tweeted fuming about a helicopter hovering low over his town of Attobad.

It’s honestly just a tool that is whatever you want it to be. Well until today

Good news, I'm back in.

Bad news...my curated feed is only people moaning about the change.

Totally self made, humanity loving genius at work here people!
It's been 15 mins and I've refreshed a lot and I'm still not locked out..yet.

90% of the articles I read I have seen in a Tweet.

In regards to your comment on wars, tweets have been used reduce the effect of disinformation from governments.Coincidentally I am halfway through “We Are Bellingcat,” a book by the creator of the OSINT agency regarding how using Tweets from people on the ground was essential in them disproving Russian propaganda both regards the 2014 Ukraine invasion, as well as being able to map the front lines better than actual intelligence agencies could. They did similar regarding the shooting down of the Malaysia Airlines plane, again disproving Russian propaganda. At its best, Twitter can be give you access to videos and news direct from the front line of whatever you want. It’s not a coincidence that governments in the Arab Spring tried to prevent access to it.

I mean Osama’s death was first hinted at on Twitter. Some Pakistani bloke who worked nights tweeted fuming about a helicopter hovering low over his town of Attobad.

It’s honestly just a tool that is whatever you want it to be. Well until today

Guys, you do realize that you can also follow various newspaper feeds on twitter, or journalist you consider reliable etc. right? Right?

You can use Twitter as a hub so you can know what article are released, or get news before journalists write a full article about it. I don't know what accounts you're following but definitely the wrong ones.

@That_Bloke you seem to have a very poor understanding of how it works.

looks like it's coming back generally, which strongly suggests it might be a bug that da vinci is playing off as a feature

What's astonishing to me is how elemental all of this is. You really don't need a modern Da Vinci, a tech genius or a rocket scientist to fix Twitter (not that they have any of them anyway). You esentially just need to hire competent people who knows what they're doing and giving them enough time and money for them to extinguish the bonfire and make money out of A) the quality content you're free riding on, B) the massive captive fanbase that is addicted to said content, and C) the advertisers and data miners who are willing to pay you billions for the opportunity of feasting on the fanbase data. You know, what they've been doing until about a year ago.

And yes, they were struggling then after their 2020 collapse. But they were increasingly recovering from then up to the first half of 2022, when they were making net profit again. Until the Elmo nation attacked.

Last edited:
Guys, you do realize that you can also follow various newspaper feeds on twitter, or journalist you consider reliable etc. right? Right?

You can use Twitter as a hub so you can know what article are released, or get news before journalists write a full article about it. I don't know what accounts you're following but definitely the wrong ones.

@That_Bloke you seem to have a very poor understanding of how it works.
Maybe, but I sure as hell can live with(out) it.