Donald Trump - GUILTY!

The Americans never fecking learn. They keep hitting Trump with shite that doesnt stick and he will get more popular because more and more belive everything is corrupt. If he fights this thing off as well im even more certain he'd win. And if he wins after all this you've created even a bigger monster
Hm not sure about this one.

Is it a common thing to boot your biggest rival off the ballot in the US?

Seems odd from over here as we just about allow anyone to stand for election, of they cough up the fee. Pretty sure we had Dom Jolly as a frog or something once and of course, the Monster Raving Looney Party. Enough about the Tories though.

Seems odd from over here as we just about allow anyone to stand for election, of they cough up the fee. Pretty sure we had Dom Jolly as a frog or something once and of course, the Monster Raving Looney Party. Enough about the Tories though.

Is common to ban a public servant or someone to be a public servant from a position if they broke the law? absolutely yes, all the time everywhere in any democracy. Happens with politicians, judges and others. And for what I read is in the US constitution

And Dom Jolly and the Monster Raving Looney Party sure didn't broke any law that forbade them to get in power like allegedly Trump caused the seditious coup on January 6th. If it is proven that this constitute a crime (like as per Colorado supreme court) to inhabilitate him as president, he cant present himself. If he is proven that he commited any other crime and goes to prison, he can still run as president

And Why the feck I know more of US law than my own country

There really are not that many rules:

"The U.S. Constitution states that the president must:

Be at least 35 years old
Be a natural-born citizen of the United States
Have been a resident of the United States for 14 years

Anyone who meets these requirements can declare their candidacy for president. Once a candidate raises or spends more than $5,000 for their campaign, they must register with the Federal Election Commission. That includes naming a principal campaign committee to raise and spend campaign funds."

The 14th amendment to the Constitution (after the Civil War) added this (parts in bold is what got him kicked off the ballot in Colorado):

Section 3.
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

No it is not common, in fact it is very rare and as far as I know has never happened at presidential level

Is common to ban a public servant or someone to be a public servant from a position if they broke the law? absolutely yes, all the time everywhere in any democracy. Happens with politicians, judges and others. And for what I read is in the US constitution

And Dom Jolly and the Monster Raving Looney Party sure didn't broke any law that forbade them to get in power like allegedly Trump caused the seditious coup on January 6th. If it is proven that this constitute a crime (like as per Colorado supreme court) to inhabilitate him as president, he cant present himself. If he is proven that he commited any other crime and goes to prison, he can still run as president

And Why the feck I know more of US law than my own country

Surprisingly back in 2012, over 240 MPs had criminal records in the UK so I guess you are not automatically batted simply for having a criminal record. It states some of these had served prison terms as well.

Guessing the severity of the crime plays an important part here. Mass murder will probably get you barred but unpaid parking tickets might be overlooked.

I'm not sure it's common anywhere, but it's also not unheard of for major political figures around the world. Berlusconi was barred from holding public office for six years, and Bolsonaro is currently banned until 2030 from running for public office.

Surprisingly back in 2012, over 240 MPs had criminal records in the UK so I guess you are not automatically batted simply for having a criminal record. It states some of these had served prison terms as well.

Guessing the severity of the crime plays an important part here. Mass murder will probably get you barred but unpaid parking tickets might be overlooked.

Is not a criminal record. Is a particular type of crime that disqualifies you. As I said, Trump could perfectly go to prison (wont happen) and still run for president. But if it is proven that he was considered a public servant as a president and broke the article 14th of the constitution, he would be disqualified to run for president

There really are not that many rules:

"The U.S. Constitution states that the president must:

Be at least 35 years old
Be a natural-born citizen of the United States
Have been a resident of the United States for 14 years

Anyone who meets these requirements can declare their candidacy for president. Once a candidate raises or spends more than $5,000 for their campaign, they must register with the Federal Election Commission. That includes naming a principal campaign committee to raise and spend campaign funds."

The 14th amendment to the Constitution (after the Civil War) added this (parts in bold is what got him kicked off the ballot in Colorado):

Section 3.
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Thanks.

Provides some context.

I'm not sure it's common anywhere, but it's also not unheard of for major political figures around the world. Berlusconi was barred from holding public office for six years, and Bolsonaro is currently banned until 2030 from running for public office.

So Lula in brazil or I believe an ex president of Portugal

Also, impeachment might disqualify you from holding office

Thanks.

Provides some context.

What was really strange is, the first judged ruled that Trump engaged in insurrection, but that he didn't pledge to "to support the Constitution of the United States" but he pledged to "Uphold the Constitution" which to that judge was different. The Supreme Court in Colorado ruled that he engaged in insurrection and pledged to support the constitution which makes a lot morse sense than the original ruling.

Knew about Berlusconi but thought I'd Google Bolsonaro to find out more. Yeh, I'll leave that clusterfeck alone I think.

Wasn't one of his many defenses that he actually hadn't sworn to protect the constitution?

It's going to be fun to watch the orginalists on the SC arguing that this time the constitution can't be read as written, and those same 'states rights' judges arguing this time its a federal thing (which imo is actually fair given its the Presidency).

Wasn't one of his many defenses that he actually hadn't sworn to protect the constitution?

It's going to be fun to watch the orginalists on the SC arguing that this time the constitution can't be read as written, and those same 'states rights' judges arguing this time its a federal thing (which imo is actually fair given its the Presidency).
What's even more sublime is the Gorsuch ruling when he was an appellate judge in Colorado a few moons ago:

Colorado court used Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch's ruling to justify disqualifying Trump (msn.com)

What was really strange is, the first judged ruled that Trump engaged in insurrection, but that he didn't pledge to "to support the Constitution of the United States" but he pledged to "Uphold the Constitution" which to that judge was different. The Supreme Court in Colorado ruled that he engaged in insurrection and pledged to support the constitution which makes a lot morse sense than the original ruling.

So what happens now? Presumably it will go to the Federal Courts or is that it as far as Colorado is concerned?

So what happens now? Presumably it will go to the Federal Courts or is that it as far as Colorado is concerned?

Yes, Trump will most likely appeal the discission to the Supreme Court. It will be interesting because the wife Clarance Thomas (Supreme Court Justice) was all in on the insurrection and election conspiracies so most people think he should recuse himself, but he most likely won't.

Yes, Trump will most likely appeal the discission to the Supreme Court. It will be interesting because the wife Clarance Thomas (Supreme Court Justice) was all in on the insurrection and election conspiracies so most people think he should recuse himself, but he most likely won't.
This is going to be a strange case, whilst many think Trump is guilty of the insurrection stuff, he hasn't actually been charged, tried or legally found guilty of any of it which I personally think might sway this case in his favor. (unfortunately)

This is going to be a strange case, whilst many think Trump is guilty of the insurrection stuff, he hasn't actually been charged, tried or legally found guilty of any of it which I personally think might sway this case in his favor. (unfortunately)
14th Amendment doesn't touch on those topics & they aren't needed to win a case, but I too unfortunately feel those unmet criteria will play a key role in getting Trump back on the ballot / keeping him on the ballots.

Almost 4 years now and none of the major players in this drama have seen sentencing. The wheels of justice seem to turn very slowly when it comes to republicans doing the dirty.
Had this been attempted by a bunch of black folks or Latinos they’d already be behind bars or executed/lynched.

Almost 4 years now and none of the major players in this drama have seen sentencing. The wheels of justice seem to turn very slowly when it comes to republicans doing the dirty.
Had this been attempted by a bunch of black folks or Latinos they’d already be behind bars or executed/lynched.

Agree. The US justice system is such a joke compared what exists in a number of top tier democacies outthere. In South Korea, politicians are swiftly sent to prison as soon as they are indicted and prosecutors over there have a 99% conviction rate in criminal trials.

Agree. The US justice system is such a joke compared what exists in a number of top tier democacies outthere. In South Korea, politicians are swiftly sent to prison as soon as they are indicted and prosecutors over there have a 99% conviction rate in criminal trials.
So you just need to be indicted in SK to be sent to jail?

Most democracies require you to be found guilty, and the Feds in the US have something like a 99% sucess rate as well

So you just need to be indicted in SK to be sent to jail?

Most democracies require you to be found guilty, and the Feds in the US have something like a 99% sucess rate as well

Pre-trial detention is a thing in SK. That is why Park Geun-hye had to report herself in the county jail as soon as she was removed from the presidency.

edit: Better that than paying for bail. Keeping some form of same justice for all matters over there.

I almost forgot about one thing. If Trump has to be formally indicted in Detroit, Michigan, that would then mean...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :devil: :devil: :devil: