Donald Trump - GUILTY!

Yep. My father was a piss in his pants, puke every night drunk who gobbled Contac like they were mints in order to fly through the day at work (he was extremely high functioning in his job as we addicts often are).

I'm guessing that that didn't end very well?

The exhausted majority is past him now. Trump doesn’t build out his follower number, he continues to lose a percent here, a percent there which adds up to 2020. The multiple legal cases against him will only turn him more insular like he was last night. He doesn’t speak to the promise of a better future, he rehashes his prior issues & that turns what’s left of the independents off incrementally.
Well written and thoughtful post

This seems like a pyrrhic victory for Democrats. The right has been crying about political persecution for years, this just feeds into the narrative. If anything the smart move would have been to pit Trump against the Republicans not unite them.

I feel like the moderates would side with the Republicans on this one, although I’m not sure if there are any undecided in the US political landscape left.

The right outlaws abortions and stacks the Supreme Court while the liberals try to get Trump imprisoned, what does this circus even accomplish?

We all know they won’t be able to nail him on anything Trump won’t walk away from. Quite similar to the Russian collusion ordeal and the multiple “smoking guns”.

I saw a poll where 20% of republican's said they approved of Trump being indicted. He already lost the general election before Jan6 happened and for someone who needs pretty much 100% of the R's and a good portion of moderates on his side to win a presidential election I can't see how he could possibly pull it off, especially with the documents case and the Georgia case yet to come.

Not sure if that was good or bad. Or both. Or neither.
Both. Negatively, it was his lifestyle which contributed to his dementia which is what he succumbed to at the end. Good that he wasn't putting himself through his daily struggle anymore.

Both. Negatively, it was his lifestyle which contributed to his dementia which is what he succumbed to at the end. Good that he wasn't putting himself through his daily struggle anymore.

Both of my patents had dementia, not lifestyle related, and it sacked. Comiserations.

In the end we should be doing this not because it's politically expedient, but because at some stage you have to hold someone breaking the law so consistently to account, if nothing else to set precedent.

For me it has the added benefit of also increasing the Dems' chance of a good 2024. It's only the fringe pushing into the media the idea that this helps the Donald, and is increasing his awareness, brand and fund-raising. The only way he wins a fair (cough) election is if 5-10% of the GOP edge/moderate dems go his way. And this hurts that group. He'll maintain his 25-30% of the bitter crazies, but that's not enough to win. Especially if boring Joe just keeps plugging away, keeping the economy from plunging, starting to build out infrastructure and not going to war with anyone.

In the end we should be doing this not because it's politically expedient, but because at some stage you have to hold someone breaking the law so consistently to account, if nothing else to set precedent.

For me it has the added benefit of also increasing the Dems' chance of a good 2024. It's only the fringe pushing into the media the idea that this helps the Donald, and is increasing his awareness, brand and fund-raising. The only way he wins a fair (cough) election is if 5-10% of the GOP edge/moderate dems go his way. And this hurts that group. He'll maintain his 25-30% of the bitter crazies, but that's not enough to win. Especially if boring Joe just keeps plugging away, keeping the economy from plunging, starting to build out infrastructure and not going to war with anyone.
Abortion will also play an enormous role in 2024 as well. Red states just cannot help themselves passing draconian anti-abortion laws for the foreseeable future.

Abortion will also play an enormous role in 2024 as well. Red states just cannot help themselves passing draconian anti-abortion laws for the foreseeable future.
Yeah they keep doing it too, ensuring it remains fully top of mind.

The charges seem pretty lightweight. I fear that he will be able wiggle his way out and be found not guilty. I have a bad feeling this is going to backfire and get him elected. MAGA filth is playing witch hunt card very well and its going to win over more neutrals.

Trump has beaten the Mueller investigation and if he beats this, its going to be bad news.

The timing is ominous and as its leading up right 2024 race. Momentum is key in politics.

Yes you are right, this was a nothingburger and it will not stick

Alvin Bragg is a fecking arsehole

Yes you are right, this was a nothingburger and it will not stick

Alvin Bragg is a fecking arsehole

Got as far as "As a standard-issue Trump-deranged progressive Democrat...." Obviously reading any further would just be a waste of everyone's time. It's not exactly first rate, objective legal analysis is it?

Did you just use the NY Post as a reliable source?

I did - as in the only newspaper to not suppress Hunter's laptop story (which WaPo and NYT finally in 2022 accepted they were wrong to suppress - how's that for influencing the election?)

Anyways, here's the annotated NYT version

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/03/16/nyregion/trump-indictment-annotated.html

it charges that "after the election, the Defendant reimbursed Lawyer A" so the transaction itself could not have impacted the election. How's a 2017 transaction impacting the 2016 election?

Moreover, the Manhattan DA doesn't have authority to enforce campaign federal finance law and Cy Vance (his predecessor) declined to prosecute. Alvin Bragg has taken a $130,000 payment and presented it as 34 different felonies - do me a favor. How about charging some criminals throwing people onto subway tracks you penisface whale.

Also, feck Trump! This country deserves a better class of criminals and prosecutors!

Got as far as "As a standard-issue Trump-deranged progressive Democrat...." Obviously reading any further would just be a waste of everyone's time. It's not exactly first rate, objective legal analysis is it?
Save yourself any future time loss by never clicking on a link to a NY Post Story. Like ever.

I did - as in the only newspaper to not suppress Hunter's laptop story (which WaPo and NYT finally in 2022 accepted they were wrong to suppress - how's that for influencing the election?)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/03/16/nyregion/trump-indictment-annotated.html

it charges that "after the election, the Defendant reimbursed Lawyer A" so the transaction itself could not have impacted the election. How's a 2017 transaction impacting the 2016 election?

Moreover, the Manhattan DA doesn't have authority to enforce campaign federal finance law and Cy Vance (his predecessor) declined to prosecute. Alvin Bragg has taken a $130,000 payment and presented it as 34 different felonies - do me a favor. How about charging some criminals throwing people onto subway tracks you penisface whale.

Also, feck Trump! This country deserves a better class of criminals and prosecutors!
Cohen paid Daniel's before the election, he was reimbursed after. Don't think it really matters when the reimbursement happened if the hush money was paid before.

In regards to the indictment, you do understand how the grand jury process works, yes?

Don't know enough to comment on the Manhattan DA's jurisdiction but the bolded seems like it has a fairly obvious answer no? The original payment to the doorman and "woman 1" and "woman 2" occurred before the election and if I remember right resulted in Cohen going to jail. Reimbursment occurred after the election (using campaign funds?) but that's immaterial to the fact that the payment made was for services illegally rendered during pre-election campaigning.

I could be wrong but that makes sense to me.

Does it matter? DA Alvin Bragg's name goes down in history.... whatever happens to Trump.... or the Democrats for that matter.
Alvin saw his 'one shot' at the big time and took it... its the American way! ;)

"It's not a big crime nor a slam dunk" is a really poor argument.

It's really surprising how every single one person that charge, prosecute, oppose or doesn't abide to Trump's whims turns out to be crooked, corrupt, evil, a felon or a traitor. It's almost as if all the righteous people are the ones standing by his side. I think there's a name for that concept but I can't seem to recall it.

PS: NY post from March 25 apparently
Front-Cover-3-25-23.jpg

Does it matter? DA Alvin Bragg's name goes down in history.... whatever happens to Trump.... or the Democrats for that matter.
Alvin saw his 'one shot' at the big time and took it... its the American way! ;)

I think it's suggestive of the quality of the article I'm being invited to read. To me it says "In writing this article I am assuming the role of a partisan hack who is unable to leave their bias at the door." That level of commentary's just not interesting to me because all subsequent analysis is likely jaundiced. It might well be that Alvin Bragg's put personal ambition above justice, but I'm hardly going to find out anything compelling by reading some other blokes second rate propaganda.

Would you risk death threats to get your name out there? Few would.

I think it's suggestive of the quality of the article I'm being invited to read. To me it says "In writing this article I am assuming the role of a partisan hack who is unable to leave their bias at the door." That level of commentary's just not interesting to me because all subsequent analysis is likely jaundiced. It might well be that Alvin Bragg's put personal ambition above justice, but I'm hardly going to find out anything compelling by reading some other blokes second rate propaganda.

You don't have to read *any* articles as long as you understand that politics is just a show packaged by the media as a contact sport to incite the mentally slow (aka most of the CE residents + massi). This is all a sideshow to the real issues facing the country - homelessness, inflation, insane cost of living, shootings, guns, abortion, street crime etc. Bragg is burnishing his far left credentials on a meaningless case when he could actually spend his time and energy on what his constituents elected him to do: working to create a livable city and cleanup the rampant crime. Instead he's LARPing his left wing values, brought the circus to town, cost the city millions of dollars in NYPD overtime hours and blocked all traffic in and out of downtown for a day.

I'm all for getting Trump. So get him for inciting the Jan 6th insurrection. Get him for trying to turn the election in Georgia. Not for paying some dumb bimbo to shut up. This is ALL a second rate show. Think NYPOST might be too highbrow for this.

You do know the only reason NY Post took on the Hunter laptop story is because Fox News and the other mainstream right wing outlets would not touch it with a 10 foot stick, this was common knowledge right after it released. NY Post is where bat**** crazy stories go that Fox won't touch in Rupert Murdochs companies. Its basically a stolen laptop from someone who is not part of Biden's campaign which has pictures of him naked and doing drugs.

You don't have to read *any* articles as long as you understand that politics is just a show packaged by the media as a contact sport to incite the mentally slow (aka most of the CE residents + massi). This is all a sideshow to the real issues facing the country - homelessness, inflation, insane cost of living, shootings, guns, abortion, street crime etc. Bragg is burnishing his far left credentials on a meaningless case when he could actually spend his time and energy on what his constituents elected him to do: working to create a livable city and cleanup the rampant crime. Instead he's LARPing his left wing values, brought the circus to town, cost the city millions of dollars in NYPD overtime hours and blocked all traffic in and out of downtown for a day.

I'm all for getting Trump. So get him for inciting the Jan 6th insurrection. Get him for trying to turn the election in Georgia. Not for paying some dumb bimbo to shut up. This is ALL a second rate show. Think NYPOST might be too highbrow for this.

No one cares that Trump paid Stormy Daniels to keep quiet. The republican voting base certainly doesn't care that he was having sex with her while his wife was pregnant, that doesn't seem to compute for them. Its the fact that he used campaign funds to pay her and then lied about doing it. Thats a crime.

And the investigations into the J6 riots, GA voting and the stolen classified docs are still going on by different jurisdictions. Why would Bragg, someone no one in their right mind would call progressive or 'woke' or 'far left' (its so idiotic) not carry through with his investigation just because the others haven't? Obviously they would not indict him if they didn't have a rock solid case.

And stop saying the Mueller Report exonerated Trump. Mueller wasn't even allowed to talk to Trump or his kids but he still got like 7 people arrested from the tiny little bit he was allowed to investigate, despite internal pressure from republicans to stop, and in the end Barr who gave a dishonest reporting of the findings.

No one cares that Trump paid Stormy Daniels to keep quiet. The republican voting base certainly doesn't care that he was having sex with her while his wife was pregnant, that doesn't seem to compute for them. Its the fact that he used campaign funds to pay her and then lied about doing it. Thats a crime.

And the investigations into the J6 riots, GA voting and the stolen classified docs are still going on by different jurisdictions. Why would Bragg, someone no one in their right mind would call progressive or 'woke' or 'far left' (its so idiotic) not carry through with his investigation just because the others haven't? Obviously they would not indict him if they didn't have a rock solid case.

And stop saying the Mueller Report exonerated Trump. Mueller wasn't even allowed to talk to Trump or his kids but he still got like 7 people arrested from the tiny little bit he was allowed to investigate, despite internal pressure from republicans to stop, and in the end Barr who gave a dishonest reporting of the findings.
Plus the horseshit OLC memo that everyone holds as sacrosanct.

And Malaria had already popped the kid out when Trump was fecking Daniels. But even that didn’t sway the MAGA evangelicals.

That's not really how justice works is it? He should be prosecuted for any and all crimes he's committed. They didn't stop prosecuting Weinstein just because he already had several decades' worth of jail time already. Time will tell whether Bragg has a good case against him but that's kind of the point of the trial...

So to be clear, you don’t want this to be political but because he’s a politician you think he shouldn’t be charged for certain crimes and instead they should focus on the more serious crimes?

So to be clear, you don’t want this to be political but because he’s a politician you think he shouldn’t be charged for certain crimes and instead they should focus on the more serious crimes?
You're just too mentally slow to understand it.